a 3-in-1 for the staff

PDA

blarby
January 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
Not related questions, just kinda came to them all at once.

1. It seems in light of current events, that it's become harder and harder to discuss RKBA without poitics involved. What used to snag almost immediate "adjustment" of threads along common politically sensitive themes has not been occuring of late- is this intentional ?

Regardless of the answer, I always thought these two were hard to keep separate...kinda like having two elephants in the room, ya know ?

2. THR's #1 position is RKBA, period. Are all of the "good fluff" sub-forums such as reloading, trading, comp shooting, etc. simply there to get folks to tune into the core "channels" once in a while- or are they there on their own merits, or some mixture of the two ?

3. ( not putting this one out there , don't wanna open that can publicly again... But if anyone in the staff shop has the time and interest in answering a sorta toughy question without the kid gloves- please drop me a line ! Didn't want to just randomly drop a probing and lengthy question/discussion on a disinterested member of the staff)

Thanks again for all the work you do. It is more important now then ever, in our current climate. Thanks for keeping the ship running, and from running aground.

If you enjoyed reading about "a 3-in-1 for the staff" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
January 12, 2013, 06:27 PM
1) They ARE quite hard to keep separate. Several factors to consider though:
-- We STILL don't brook "lib.-vs.-con" or "R-vs-D" threads, nor any threads about politicians or political topics which are not directly related to guns and gun control. No immigration, economics, jobs, healthcare, gay marriage, abortion, or anything else but RKBA.
--More to the point, we have always said that we would not host threads decrying politicians we (or you) don't like, or debating their relative qualities, except as DIRECTLY relates to RKBA. At the moment, we DO have a lot to talk about directly related to RKBA. If topics wander off that, they will be shut down.

To that end, through the last two political cycles we had a lot of threads about how B. Obama was or wasn't going to be a good choice for president and how he would or wouldn't try to push a gun control agenda. Many of those were shut down as he did and really had done nothing to push gun grabs. Well, now he has, and discussing his actions, policies, and goals is fair game, so long as we stay on that topic.

2) Not sure I quite "get" this question. THR's mission statement is, " an online discussion board dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership." Competition shooting, reloading, hunting, etc., etc. are all part of enjoying firearms responsibly. We have forums for activism and forums for legal questions. No sub forum is specifically more important than any other, except that -- of course -- when our rights are under attack, we need to consider that all aspects of firearms ownership and use are at risk.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 12, 2013, 09:09 PM
I'll take a stab at #2.

It sounds like you are asking why the "fluff" forums exist. Well, for many, they aren't "fluff" forums. There are a great number of posters who rarely venture out of their chosen sub-forums as it meets their needs. Likewise, there are many who prefer not to wade into GGD because of the nature of the posts in there.

blarby
January 12, 2013, 09:52 PM
I agree that my chosen home forum is not "fluff".

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words. Perhaps a substitution of " Extraneous" would be more appropriate.

Just seems to be that depending on what reponse you get from whom.... We should either have two forums :

Keep

and

Bare

Or many more than we currently have.

The minimalist, or the maximalist- as it were. The driving point here being that one would seem to focus discussion on core values, while the other would seem to diffuse it. The sub-forums, while gathering more and more voices to the party, do tend to alter the overall "noise/signal" ratio, so to speak. Really just wondering if one or the other was more important, and where you guys feel the line is.

Sort of...if the chicken is carrying the egg, or the egg is carrying the chicken, or if they were, by design, carrying each other into the sunset. If that makes sense.

Sam1911
January 13, 2013, 08:20 AM
How about this: Preserving the RKBA is our ultimate goal. However, for the vast majority of us, preserving RKBA is the grunt work of firearms ownership -- what we have to do in order to enjoy our guns! All those other sub-forums are about us ENJOYING our guns.

Chicken and egg? I don't know. That would kind of depend on whether you learned to fight for RKBA because you want to be able to keep and bear the weapons you love and enjoy, or if you came to the battle as a fighter for rights and Constitutional issues primarily and then found that you could ALSO have a little fun, get some food, train and compete with, etc. the guns you wanted to protect.

I don't know very many people who arrived here through the latter path. Most of us would rather be shooting a match or hunting or reloading or plinking or teaching new shooters or training for self-defense than sitting at the computer pounding out letters to Congressmen, and would rather spend our money on ammo and guns than sending it all to the NRA & SAF. But we've learned we have to do the hard work first.

blarby
January 13, 2013, 09:12 AM
I myself would prefer handloading and teaching new shooters :D

-understood.

Art Eatman
January 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
The 1934 law didn't affect many people. Still doesn't. Only some 300K registered machine guns, and given the number of multi-gun collections, far less that 300K people own them. But 40% of U.S. house holds own one or more firearms--many tens of millions of people.

So, from a nation-wide standpoint, it's only since 1967 that gun control laws jumped into the national arena and we wound up with GCA '68. So forget chicken-and-egg. Folks have been shooting game, varmints and targets since well before 1968.

Right now, the politics are on the front burner--but they won't stay there forever.

blarby
January 14, 2013, 09:47 PM
Nicely put.

taliv
January 15, 2013, 02:35 PM
in the long term, keeping our rights is about education. the more people we educate, the more people will vote to keep their rights. this is a continual process as new kids are born and grow up.

thus, the 'fluff' forums are really about RKBA... otherwise we wind up with "the shoulder thing that goes up" stuff

BullfrogKen
January 15, 2013, 05:25 PM
I recall this place was stood up to serve as a beacon to show the anti-gunners that people who own guns aren't knuckle-dragging, chauvenistic, mouth-breathing, uneducated rednecks.

And we'd discuss our enjoyment of owning and using firearms in better decorum than the other forums that exist.

To those ends, I think we've been quite successful in carrying out that mission.

When our interests come under assault, we defend them. But we do it intelligently, rationally, and without the R vs D politics.

blarby
January 15, 2013, 06:22 PM
To those ends, I think we've been quite successful in carrying out that mission.

I'd have to agree !

If you enjoyed reading about "a 3-in-1 for the staff" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!