s&w mp 15-22 question

PDA

swfan410
January 12, 2013, 07:10 PM
Hey new to the forum and just picked up a new s&w mp 15-22 I have not taken it shooting yet and all the stores in my area have been out of .22 lr ammo. now I found some remington viper ammo and picked up a few boxes but from what i have read online its not the best. Im just wondering if its gonna be safe to shoot that ammo. In the manual it doesnt recommend remington gold dot. I dont know if the viper ammo is different or not. can anyone help me please and thank you. Been reading these forums for years finally posted something haha and it wont be my last either.

If you enjoyed reading about "s&w mp 15-22 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lemann
January 12, 2013, 07:20 PM
it wont hurt the gun. at worst it will fail to eject or load. not sure how dirty it shoots, but i only clean my rimfires about ever 500rnds or so.

load it up and shoot it.

Lloyd Smale
January 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
viper ammo uses a lighter bullet at higher velocity and may not have enough recoil pulse to run the action. What mine really likes is blazer. It shoots it well and its a 100 percent reliable

2ndtimer
January 12, 2013, 08:48 PM
Go ahead and shoot the Viper ammo. I have shot several hundred rounds Remington Yellow Jacket (the hollow point version of the Viper) through mine without incident. It isn't as accurate as some other rounds, but it fed and functioned fine. The Yellow Jacket does do a nice job on ground squirrels. I still prefer the CCI Stinger for that duty, Keep your eye open for .22 lr bulk ammo. The only one that was really crummy functioning in my S&W was the Remington Golden Bullet. Winchester 555, Power Point, Dynapoint, CCI Mini Mags, Blazer, and Federal Bulk all work great in mine.

gfpd707
January 12, 2013, 08:52 PM
My 15-22 has ran anything I have put in it with very few malfuntions. I have gone close to 1000 rounds without cleaning with no ill effects. Shoot what you can get right now. During these times you cant be picky.

45lcshooter
January 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
Some 22's are picky. But they will shoot anything 22lr you put in it.

My 15-22 will chew through, blazer, american eagle, federal, remington, etc. shoots and ejects it all

swfan410
January 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone, now it's time to go shooting

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 13, 2013, 05:00 PM
Let us know what you think of it. The M&P15-22 is an awesome plinker. The first time I shot one, I was "grinnin like a mule eatin green briars" or atleast that's what the older gentleman told me... Have fun and be safe.

gotigers
January 13, 2013, 05:38 PM
My 15-22 shoots everything.

rhinoh
January 14, 2013, 06:28 AM
I picked up two of the 15-22s last week, ran about 100 rnds through each this weekend..no issues at all! Some of it was the Viper, some CCI, some Peters, some Win 333. Don't think I ever had so much shooting fun and for under $20!
Really like them and with the exact same manual of arms as my .223 and .308 ARs- make great trainers at a very low cost.

If you enjoyed reading about "s&w mp 15-22 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!