Canik 55 Stingray C: Review and First Thoughts

PDA

meanmrmustard
January 12, 2013, 07:26 PM
Now, pictures will follow...so anyone who doesn't know what this pistol is or looks like, for now I'd google the aforementioned pistol in brushed chrome finish.

I picked this pistol up from my FFL on Tuesday, without being put on hold if you can believe that!

The gun comes in a nice box, better than Glocks in that it has lockable slides rather than snaps. The foam is sturdy, and fit was tight. In it are two 13 round MecGar magazines, owners manual, cleaning rod, nylon cleaning brush, and tools for the sights.
Fit was TIGHT! There is no rattle in this weapon, period. Finish is a beautiful brushed chrome, very even, and done inside and outside the frame and slide. The only parts on this pistol that are plastic are the mag floor plates and grips. It is a heavy, fully steel gun. My work scale registered it at a hair under 2.5 lbs loaded with 13+1 124 gr.bullets. It's not light, and carry might be difficult. HD is, however, doable.
Barrel is 3.5", chrome lined inside AND out, polished, and has a supported chamber. Sharp rifling, no Knicks or scratches, and looks absolutely grand against that brushed slide finish. Barrel bushing is pinned in place to slide with a roll pin underneath front sight. Guide rod is steel, non captured, and spring is a loose wound two strand job, think AK shepards crook.

Sights are steel, front and rear, and the rear is adjustable for windage AND elevation. They're the three dot variety, but I'm informed that you can get CZ sights if these do not suit or you want night sights.

Today, purely for enjoyment:evil:, I wanted to put its first hundred rounds down range, lightly oiled, but a quick observation as to out of the box accuracy and beginning reliability tests. Ammo was 9mm, 124 gr Winchester NATO. Hotter than WWB, less so than +P. I'm happy to report 3,7,15,25 yard accuracy to be quite exceptional. It rained, so I've no targets to substantiate...you'll have to trust me::)

3 yards: 1 inch, 5 shots
7 yards: roughly 1.5 inches, 5 shots
15 yards: 3 inches, 3 shots
25 yards: 3.45 inches, 3 shots.

Not sure why I shot better at 25 than 15, but its been cold out and I can think of a myriad of excuses. Anywho, the rest of my shooting was as done with targets, standing, but at my gong at 30 yards. Swung the thing for the rest of my NATO supply. It was a tad low to start, but bringing the rear sight up a notch corrected this swiftly. My fiancÚ shoots it better than me. Jerk.:scrutiny:

I would buy this again. I researched it heavily, watched videos and read others range reports. I decided to try it out. I'm not one to kick a CZ clone outta bed, but I will say this: I like it much better than any Tanfoglio I've owned thus far. It's weight keeps recoil light, even for a compact. My fiancÚ is great at shooting, and she really adores this pistol after one outing. As do I.
No failures, of any kind whatsoever in its infancy of my employ, even though the NATO was ridiculously dirty ammo. I'll keep a comprehensive round count as I shoot it up to date for anyone who is interested.

If anyone has questions, comments, or whatever...PM me or post. I'll put up pics tonight or tomorrow (I'm at the mercy of the queens computer skills) ASAP. Thanks for reading.

Edit to add: DA trigger is heavy but smooth (think Sigma without grittiness), and SA was a crisp 5.2 lbs with a lil take up but clean break.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canik 55 Stingray C: Review and First Thoughts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
January 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
It rained, so I've no targets to substantiate...you'll have to trust me

Weather Channel shows rain in Mo today, so OK, we'll believe you this time. :)

Congrats on the new gun and thanks for the fine range report. We look forward to some pics.

I've got the C100 (very similar to the Stingray) and like it quite a bit too. Not sure of all of differences between the two. Your Stingray has adjustable sites, ambi safety and a steel frame. The C100 has an alloy frame and interestingly came with 15 rounds mags. I wonder why the Stingray has 13 rounders. Both are made by Canik55 and are super values, I go mine at Academy for $299!

meanmrmustard
January 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
I guess I should've added that I paid $396 after shipping and transfer from J&G Sales. We've no Academy here...:(

Not sure why 13, good question.

I'll get pics up in the morning. It's a "pretty" gun.

tekarra
January 12, 2013, 08:58 PM
Congrats on your new pistol. Looking forward to your photos.

Dryft
January 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
I've been anticipating your report with great interest!

Glad you're enjoying your new Canik.

meanmrmustard
January 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
Congrats on your new pistol. Looking forward to your photos.
Thank you. I'm being promised that they'll be up after breakfast.

meanmrmustard
January 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
I've been anticipating your report with great interest!

Glad you're enjoying your new Canik.
It's a damn fine gun, great value, and I can't believe how soft it shoots for a compact.

It's a boat anchor, prolly why!

MaterDei
January 12, 2013, 10:17 PM
1.7 lbs. Hardly an anchor!

meanmrmustard
January 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
1.7 lbs. Hardly an anchor!
Methinks you're reading about the wrong pistol. It's listed at 940 grams unloaded...that's around 2.1lbs. Put 14 rounds in it. It's knocking on 2.3 lbs or more.

Pilot
January 12, 2013, 11:08 PM
Does this Canik have an alloy frame like the CZ PCR? The PCR weighs 1.7 lbs.

Okiegunner
January 13, 2013, 02:19 AM
Congrats!!!

I have been saying this for a while now...The Turks are making some damn fine smallarms these days, at a fantastic pricepoint!!

I have the, mouthful here, (MKEK Girsan Yavuz 16) 92f clone, the Girsan "tactical" 1911 platform and the Canik55 TP 9 (Walther P 99 clone). IMO, all the gun at 1/2 the price.

I think that you will be very pleased with your purchase.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 04:33 AM
Does this Canik have an alloy frame like the CZ PCR? The PCR weighs 1.7 lbs.
The C100 does. The Stingray, however, does not. It is entirely steel.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 04:35 AM
Congrats!!!

I have been saying this for a while now...The Turks are making some damn fine smallarms these days, at a fantastic pricepoint!!

I have the, mouthful here, (MKEK Girsan Yavuz 16) 92f clone, the Girsan "tactical" 1911 platform and the Canik55 TP 9 (Walther P 99 clone). IMO, all the gun at 1/2 the price.

I think that you will be very pleased with your purchase.
So far so good. Albeit I'm only 100 rounds in, this lil guy is a great value so far. Now, if only I could find cheaper plinking and training ammo...

How's that TP9 treating you?

Kiln
January 13, 2013, 05:18 AM
I took my C100 out this weekend and shot another 150 rounds through it malfunction free. I got rained on too. I can't get over how low the recoil is for this gun considering it has an aluminum frame. I was expecting a drastic increase but the difference is very minor.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just saying that there's another very satisfied Canik owner here. The fit between the slide/frame is excellent and the accuracy is pretty impressive too.

Canik firearms are aces in my book. The only thing is I wish they had a warranty that is longer than a year.

Pilot
January 13, 2013, 07:18 AM

Thanks!

So the C100 is the PCR clone, and the Stingray is the all steel pistol that resembles the P-01 cosmetically? Is there a website which describes all these guns with photos? I may be interested in one. Thanks.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks!

So the C100 is the PCR clone, and the Stingray is the all steel pistol that resembles the P-01 cosmetically? Is there a website which describes all these guns with photos? I may be interested in one. Thanks.
Sure is. It's entirely in Turkish though.
http://www.canik55.com

Also, duelist1954 (a member here) has a YouTube video review, or rather just shooting it, that was a good watch.

There's several threads on other forums on the C100, a few on the Stingray...all very much positive.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
I took my C100 out this weekend and shot another 150 rounds through it malfunction free. I got rained on too. I can't get over how low the recoil is for this gun considering it has an aluminum frame. I was expecting a drastic increase but the difference is very minor.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just saying that there's another very satisfied Canik owner here. The fit between the slide/frame is excellent and the accuracy is pretty impressive too.

Canik firearms are aces in my book. The only thing is I wish they had a warranty that is longer than a year.
No problem. I'm enjoying hearing about happy owners. I, too, wish for a longer warranty.

Pictures soon, as we are getting breakfast ready and ill get them up.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
Here we go....

I'll add more later, but this is what I've got so far. My targets got trashed in the rain unfortunately.

The last pic is my hand to establish scale. I have medium sized hands. It's a comfy hold, lil thick for me, but it still nestles nicely. Thinner grips to come...VZs in Compact will fit as the screw holes are the same as P01 and CZ compact as they are the Stingray.

Enjoy.

Infidel4life11
January 13, 2013, 12:19 PM
That looks like my steel witness's little brother

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 12:30 PM
That looks like my steel witness's little brother
It is a wee fella, but its got the heft to know its there!

What model Witness?

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 05:33 PM
Another dunce moment by me:

I thought that the sights had either some bland yellow paint or insert material.

They're NIGHT SIGHTS!!! Not the tritium variety, but glow nonetheless. Should work in a pinch.

Jaymo
January 13, 2013, 07:13 PM
Nice. I like it. How much does one of those cost?

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 07:23 PM
Nice. I like it. How much does one of those cost?
Mine was $396 after shipping. TP9 is a bit less, and there's other models still that I'm not sure about. Hit up Kiln and Okiegunner on their models as far as price for the C 100 and TP9 respectively.

Take a gander at the Canik 55 S-120. Wow.

Stringfellow
January 13, 2013, 07:46 PM
The Canik website is in English if you click on the English language button (flag) on the homepage.

I especially like their Walther P99 clones and their CZ97 clone in 9mm! (always thought the CZ97 looked better than the '75)

http://www.canik55.com/pages_sub.php?id=42&module_type=2&module_id=14

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 08:15 PM
The Canik website is in English if you click on the English language button (flag) on the homepage.

I especially like their Walther P99 clones and their CZ97 clone in 9mm! (always thought the CZ97 looked better than the '75)

http://www.canik55.com/pages_sub.php?id=42&module_type=2&module_id=14
How dare you make a fool of meeeee!!!!

Thanks buddy. The model you speak of is the Piranha.

Dryft
January 13, 2013, 09:06 PM
Holy smokes.

Check out the S-120 gold plated with engraving.

That is... overzealous.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 09:11 PM
Holy smokes.

Check out the S-120 gold plated with engraving.

That is... overzealous.
Seen that!!!

It's ugly AND pretty, if you can imagine.

Are you going to get a Canik? I'm anxious to hear of your thoughts thus far. Any research? If you like CZs (my fave guns EVER), you'll appreciate the Canik.

Dryft
January 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hey MMM,

Definitely taking a serious look at the C-100, but would really like to put my paws on one first! There's a good-sized gun show up here next weekend - hopefully one will crop up.

If not? Online ordering it is.

Everything I'm hearing points to them being a well-machined, well-engineered firearm - I'd just like to see if all that fits my hands!

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hey MMM,

Definitely taking a serious look at the C-100, but would really like to put my paws on one first! There's a good-sized gun show up here next weekend - hopefully one will crop up.

If not? Online ordering it is.

Everything I'm hearing points to them being a well-machined, well-engineered firearm - I'd just like to see if all that fits my hands!
What size paws you got?

From what I gather, if you've got smaller hands than me, it may be "Single Stack Saturday" for you, but I've got less than large hands. Every CZ fits me with a natural point, the 97 included. I understand your wants, however, if you can't fondle one, its not money wasted to order one. Hell, I was offered $500 for mine before I ever shot it.

You'll like it. Trust me.

Okiegunner
January 14, 2013, 12:35 AM
That is a really fine looking pistol!!

Stringfellow
January 14, 2013, 12:57 AM
How dare you make a fool of meeeee!!!!

That's the least I can do to you, mustard, for making me so jealous. ;)

I have a CZ75 that I need to ditch, because I have large hands and the tang digs into my hand. It doesn't draw blood, but it is uncomfortable. I assumed I would replace it with an SP01, which has a beavertail tang. But I am now wondering if I should go the Piranha route. As I said, I always liked the look of the CZ97 and swore I would buy one if it came in 9mm. Well, it looks like I have a decision to make...

MaterDei
January 14, 2013, 02:16 AM
MMM, I hope you don't feel we are hijacking your most excellent range/gun report. :) For others' benefit here are a few pics of my C-100. As you can see, it is different from the Stingray in many ways. It has more of the features you might find on a carry gun than the Stingray. In other words it has fewer features. In addition to having an alloy frame, it has no adjustable sights (although they do glow in the dark), no ambi controls and no rail.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-02235232.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-02235021.jpg
Same case as the Stingray it seems.

Definitely taking a serious look at the C-100, but would really like to put my paws on one first!
Texas is a long way from Maine but maybe I can help some. My hands are not real beefy but I do wear XL gloves because my fingers are long. As you can see, all of my fingers and almost my entire palm fit on the grip. It's hard to get a proper grip and take pictures at the same time but I think you can see that the grip is large enough to be very comfortable.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-13235130.jpg
Here is my hand. If yours is about the same size the fit is just great.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-13235400.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-13235255.jpg

Hope this helps.

meanmrmustard
January 14, 2013, 08:12 AM
Not a problem, hijack away. For the benefit of those who don't own Caniks is why I started the thread. Any additional info is welcome.:)

I'd give the nod to C100 as a better carry pistol based mainly on weight and width. The Stingray, IMO is at home bed side or in the glove compartment. The C100 looks to be a better fit on someone's person.

Okiegunner
January 14, 2013, 11:02 PM
Meanmr,

Sorry its taken a bit to answer your question.

Anyhow...I really do like the TP9. Not just because I bought it and yada, yada...Its a really (to me) cool pistol. While some might call it odd, I like the 2 stage, rifle type trigger for the 1st round. I mean; it is the shooter's choice as to whether have a light SA first round trigger pull, or, the heavier DA trigger pull.

Throw in all the extra goodies and $331.00 otd including my ffl...can't be beat.

BTW...Do you have your eye on any other "Turk" made firearms? I just backordered a Turkish made "Linberta" 12 gauge tactical from Buds.

hAkron
January 14, 2013, 11:38 PM
I think the hammers look unusual compared to the CZ hammer. I also would like to see if the LCI is obnoxious or not. Putting that aside, the CZ platform, and clones, particularly Turkish made examples are usually pretty great. I would have no doubt that these are amazing guns.

Kiln
January 15, 2013, 04:53 AM
I think the hammers look unusual compared to the CZ hammer. I also would like to see if the LCI is obnoxious or not. Putting that aside, the CZ platform, and clones, particularly Turkish made examples are usually pretty great. I would have no doubt that these are amazing guns.
The hollowed out hammers help with weight reduction. I've got both the CZ75B and the Canik C100 and so far both have been among my best handguns.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 08:05 AM
It sticks up less than a Ruger Sr9, but its about the same size.

hAkron
January 15, 2013, 08:08 AM
I get the purpose of the hollowed hammer, but these hammers to me look cheap. It's a minor detail...a nit pick at best, but I'm throwing it out there as a critique...I'm also saying it as somebody with a safe full of CZ 75's and clones, so obviously I appreciate the platform. It's not a bash of this fine gun.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 08:12 AM
Meanmr,

Sorry its taken a bit to answer your question.

Anyhow...I really do like the TP9. Not just because I bought it and yada, yada...Its a really (to me) cool pistol. While some might call it odd, I like the 2 stage, rifle type trigger for the 1st round. I mean; it is the shooter's choice as to whether have a light SA first round trigger pull, or, the heavier DA trigger pull.

Throw in all the extra goodies and $331.00 otd including my ffl...can't be beat.

BTW...Do you have your eye on any other "Turk" made firearms? I just backordered a Turkish made "Linberta" 12 gauge tactical from Buds.
Yup...Sarsilmaz K2 10mm.

hAkron
January 15, 2013, 08:34 AM
I have the Sarsilmaz K2 45 and it's great. A bit gaudy with the goofy writing on it, but accurate as heck. I with Sarsilmaz would start importing the K2 9mm. I doubt we'll ever see a 10mm version. I think that was a mistake or a reselling of bad information by one of the early K2 reviewers.

Centurian22
January 15, 2013, 08:50 AM
Awesome Post MMM! As you know I'm on the prowl for a 9mm and you have certainly perked my interest. Nicest 'bright' pistol I've seen in a while. Before this I only liked 1911's in shiny. Neither the wife or I care for the two tone (SS or nickel slide and black frame) but I like this one. I'll be showing the pic to my wife for her input. How do you find the safety in size and function?

MaterDei
January 15, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for welcoming all, MMM.

No LCI on the C100. I can't even see any change to the position of the extractor, loaded vs. non loaded.

Dryft
January 15, 2013, 03:53 PM
MD - thanks for the information and the pictures! That really does make a nice reference point. My hands (that I thought were large!) measure a half inch shorter in length and width than yours - and that's probably not a bad thing as I definitely want that pinky on the grip.

I handled a Tanfoglio Witness last night at a shop and it felt a bit beefy in my hand - anyone think there's a comparison to be made between it and the C100?

Gun show in Augusta this weekend - if I can't find one I'm just ordering one. Wish I could've found a way to take advantage of that Academy sale - it would've been nice to pay $299.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 07:08 PM
Awesome Post MMM! As you know I'm on the prowl for a 9mm and you have certainly perked my interest. Nicest 'bright' pistol I've seen in a while. Before this I only liked 1911's in shiny. Neither the wife or I care for the two tone (SS or nickel slide and black frame) but I like this one. I'll be showing the pic to my wife for her input. How do you find the safety in size and function?
Thank you sir. It's actually quite a bit more flat in finish than it shows. I dare say its sexy.

I'm not a huge stainless fan, but this brushed chrome is nice AND it makes clean up even easier.

As for the safety, stiff at first, but its smoothing a bit. It's identical to CZs, and I find them to be my fave. It's 1911 in operation, up us safe, down is fire...as it should be.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 07:12 PM
I get the purpose of the hollowed hammer, but these hammers to me look cheap. It's a minor detail...a nit pick at best, but I'm throwing it out there as a critique...I'm also saying it as somebody with a safe full of CZ 75's and clones, so obviously I appreciate the platform. It's not a bash of this fine gun.
Not cheap, just not refined unnecessarily. It's got aggressive bite and is skeletonized. However, its beefy and hits home nicely. When the whole gun looks so well built, I'm not sweating the hammer. It works.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 07:15 PM
Put another 100 down the pipe this afternoon.

Slide is getting easier to manipulate, as is safety and slide release.

No failures. I only shot the gong tonight, so target photos. Saturday, I'm going to do accuracy shooting again, save targets, and I'll post photos again.

It fits in my glove compartment nicely (1996 s10, not known for being spacious) and is a joy to point. It fits so well!!!:)

As I said, I'll get target photos up ASAP.

MaterDei
January 18, 2013, 04:28 PM
As I said, I'll get target photos up ASAP.

And your definition of ASAP is?... :)

dcarch
January 18, 2013, 05:34 PM
Very nice! Glad I came across this!

ifit
January 18, 2013, 06:54 PM
great review, not the best trigger outa the box at all. on another forum same pistol i believe the front sight fell off or bushing...not sure what it was, but owner indicated to be checking the pin so it does not work its way loose.

meanmrmustard
January 19, 2013, 08:13 AM
And your definition of ASAP is?... :)
Didn't get to shoot. Daughter had to be in hospital for a few days.

meanmrmustard
January 19, 2013, 08:18 AM
great review, not the best trigger outa the box at all. on another forum same pistol i believe the front sight fell off or bushing...not sure what it was, but owner indicated to be checking the pin so it does not work its way loose.
I guess I'm not picky when it comes to triggers, but I found SA on par with a new CZs trigger, had a cleaner break than a K100 which was my third choice behind the Canik and P07 Duty, and its only getting better with snap caps. DA is smooth, heavy, but I don't really worry about DA too much (I shot a Sigma for a few years ;)).

I saw the same thread. I know the fix for this if needed, mines not moved. I use roll pins every day at work, and if it hasn't moved in 200 rounds, its not going to.

Centurian22
January 19, 2013, 08:18 AM
Hope all is well with your daughter and family. Thoughts are with you.

meanmrmustard
January 19, 2013, 08:22 AM
Hope all is well with your daughter and family. Thoughts are with you.
She ended up having to get an inhaler (she's 2) but she's breathing better. We went and saw Yo Gabba Gabba Live in STL Mo last night, she had fun.

If I get a chance, I'll pop a couple rounds off this afternoon and get pics up for you guys.

Thank you for the kind words.

dcarch
January 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
Sorry about your daughter. Definitely praying for you and your family.

meanmrmustard
January 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
Sorry about your daughter. Definitely praying for you and your family.
She's doing fine, just coughing a little here and there. I appreciate the thoughts, dcarch.

Okiegunner
January 20, 2013, 05:56 AM
Meanmr....

Good to hear your daughter is better!! My family's thoughts and prayers are with you and she.

I posted some lousy (cheap mobile phone) pics of my SGL-21 and new(ish) AR build (and really caught hell). I'm back home now for a day or two, and have a "real" camera. I'll try and post some photos of my TP-9. (Also maybe re-do some of my new AK & AR)

Anyhow...more important...So happy to know your daughter is OK!!

Stringfellow
January 20, 2013, 06:22 AM
So happy to know your daughter is OK!!

+1!

meanmrmustard
January 20, 2013, 09:06 AM
You guys are the best.:)

Anyone else as impressed with Canik as me and Okie?

Put another 50 rounds through while grilling last night, gong shooting again (Walmart was out of Dirty Birds :(). No failures, current round count is 258.

Anyone know where CZ hi cap mags are still in stock?

Centurian22
January 20, 2013, 02:08 PM
Another +1 to being glad your daughter is better.

"Anyone know where CZ hi cap mags are still in stock?"

... In your dreams? Lol that seems to go for all high cap mags.

ifit
January 20, 2013, 04:40 PM
sorry meanmustard, but i have to disagree on the canik trigger compared to the k100, having owned both and did a side by side, the k100 wins hands down for me. the double action trigger k100...smooth no gritty feeling, the canik...well not so smooth and very heavy. the reset the k100 wins hands down, the canik the seems like a mile compared to the k100. then the k100 crisp sa action smooth break compared to a good trigger on a 1911, the canik after it resets has a significant gritty take up before it breaks.

meanmrmustard
January 20, 2013, 05:40 PM
sorry meanmustard, but i have to disagree on the canik trigger compared to the k100, having owned both and did a side by side, the k100 wins hands down for me. the double action trigger k100...smooth no gritty feeling, the canik...well not so smooth and very heavy. the reset the k100 wins hands down, the canik the seems like a mile compared to the k100. then the k100 crisp sa action smooth break compared to a good trigger on a 1911, the canik after it resets has a significant gritty take up before it breaks.
I suppose we can agree to disagree. You've described to me a fairly well used K100 trigger, like that oh the LGS owners I got to shoot. An accurate gun, lighter, but the trigger was not better in SA, lighter in DA but as I stated DA is a non issue for me, and it offered nothing that would have justified another $60 overall. I mean, it's polymer framed. Also, I've been using snappers, as I do my CZs, so the trigger started of fine but has only gotten more predictable. I love it.

Did I mention the Canik, while heavier, is all steel? Recoil being subjective, felt much lighter with the Canik using +P loads vs the K100 using standard 115 grain loads. Plus, its STEEL!

I'm glad you like yours. You don't have to justify your purchase, to each their own and all that. Keep on shooting!

meanmrmustard
January 20, 2013, 05:42 PM
Another +1 to being glad your daughter is better.

"Anyone know where CZ hi cap mags are still in stock?"

... In your dreams? Lol that seems to go for all high cap mags.
Horrible news indeed. Guess I need to keep dreaming.

bdb benzino
January 20, 2013, 11:23 PM
Anyone else as impressed with Canik as me and Okie?

I picked up a C-100 a month or two ago and can't get over how good a gun it is for the price, as well as the fit and finish. I also want to pick up another Canik for home defense and bed side duty, and cant decide over the Stingray or the TP-9. I am anxious to hear a range report on the TP-9!

MaterDei
January 22, 2013, 12:59 PM
Got to love Academy. Look what I found today.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-22103433.jpg

I don't know about where you live but in Houston 9mm has been hard to come by. It's range time!!!

Dryft
January 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
I really wish we had an Academy somewhere near me...

You're a lucky man MD!

pacerdude
January 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
Wow I just bought a Cougar from an Academy here in Atlanta, but they are limiting ammo to 1 box per caliber for three boxes total of 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp haha.

And I saw the C-100 yesterday while I was filling out the paperwork but I didn't know anything about them until I read this thread. As an aside I can't buy another gun for a week here in GA the manager said the policy just started in the last couple of weeks.

Anyways congratulations on your Stingray meanmrmustard!

MaterDei
January 22, 2013, 05:17 PM
Academy has the same new policy here. While I don't particularly like it at least now I can find ammo whereas before dealers were lining up at 6 a.m. and buying everything that came in.

If you look closely you can see that the ammo is sitting on top of a sardine can. Sardine cans count as '1 box'. I bought one 900 round box of 9mm. No more 9mm for me today! :)

juk
January 23, 2013, 03:15 AM
Ya know, I actually saw one of those C100s in a local shop the other day. I had never heard of it, but new instantly that it was modeled after the PCR. There are a few differences though. My PCR set me back a bit more than the c100 would have. The hammer was different as well as the sights. It still looked like a very well made firearm though, especially considering the 350$ price tag.

If the reliability and accuracy are even close to the original CZ versions, they should be great guns. Don't know if I agree with that 97 clone in 9mm. When I pick up my 97, it seems completely fitting that it is chambered in 45. I find that my 97 and PCR to both be very accurate and easily controllable. The PCR has been 100% reliable through 1500 rounds or so. All of that being either +P ball or +P Hollowpoint. The 97, not so reliable. It hates big hollowpoints. It probably has 3000 down the tube and is the softest shooting 45 I have shot.

MaterDei
January 23, 2013, 09:35 PM
I fired 100 rounds of the Tula ammo I bought. Gun operated good again, no mechanical problems at all. However, it didn't particularly like the ammo. I was having a hard time shooting good groups with it. I also was shooting my Kimber and my Buckmark and was grouping well with those so it wasn't me...this time.

Total round count for my C100 is now 200.

Now that I've got a couple hundred rounds fired there are a couple of things that are bothering me.

1. The slide is very low profile and I have a hard time getting a good grip on it. My 1911 is much easier to rack than the Canik. Perhaps a lighter recoil spring would help?
2. The serrations on the slide are quite sharp. They are well cut and without burrs, just sharp. Couple the limited grip area and the sharp serrations together and my girley IT guy hands get rubbed a bit raw at the range and at home dry firing.

meanmrmustard
January 23, 2013, 09:45 PM
I fired 100 rounds of the Tula ammo I bought. Gun operated good again, no mechanical problems at all. However, it didn't particularly like the ammo. I was having a hard time shooting good groups with it. I also was shooting my Kimber and my Buckmark and was grouping well with those so it wasn't me...this time.

Total round count for my C100 is now 200.

Now that I've got a couple hundred rounds fired there are a couple of things that are bothering me.

1. The slide is very low profile and I have a hard time getting a good grip on it. My 1911 is much easier to rack than the Canik. Perhaps a lighter recoil spring would help?
2. The serrations on the slide are quite sharp. They are well cut and without burrs, just sharp. Couple the limited grip area and the sharp serrations together and my girley IT guy hands get rubbed a bit raw at the range and at home dry firing.
Remember, push the grip and hold the slide, not vice versa. This should remedy that "sharp feeling"

meanmrmustard
January 23, 2013, 09:48 PM
I went to the LGS to maybe pick up a Tisas or Rock Island 1911.

Of course...I started gazing at the XDs, Glocks, SR9s, and CZs.

I came home with another Tangfolio Full size polymer 9. I'm non-curable, I can't get away from CZ clones.:D

Pilot
January 23, 2013, 09:51 PM
The small, low mounted slide is one of the better attributes of the CZ-75 design which contributes to accuracy and less muzzle flip due to its low bore axis. Don't mess with the spring weight.

PGT
January 23, 2013, 10:07 PM
The Stingray looks nice. I almost bought one today but then I realized I want a carry gun and not a sibling for my EAA Witness Match. :D

meanmrmustard
January 23, 2013, 10:28 PM
The Stingray looks nice. I almost bought one today but then I realized I want a carry gun and not a sibling for my EAA Witness Match. :D
It probably weighs more, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canik 55 Stingray C: Review and First Thoughts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!