chose a bad time to get a "new" pistol... ruger P89 mags?

PDA

hipoint
January 12, 2013, 09:26 PM
anyone point me in the direction of ANY mags for a ruger p89? looking for 15 or 17 round mags...

I guess the craze has affected anyone who is in my position, guys buying every one they see... Just wondering if anyone happened to know of some in stock somewhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "chose a bad time to get a "new" pistol... ruger P89 mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fryerpower
January 12, 2013, 09:48 PM
I don't remember the specifics, but a magazine that fits the P89 fits several of the other guns in the P series. You may have luck cross referencing which ones share the common magazine design and looking under each of the different pistol model numbers. It is a long shot, but might work.

Jim

wow6599
January 12, 2013, 09:49 PM
Not mine, but are a couple - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325475967

Check Gunbroker, Guns America, etc..

hipoint
January 12, 2013, 10:04 PM
thanks WOW, I'll keep an eye on that auction but it looks like they'll get too rich for my blood before it's over :-( My title was right I guess, BAD time to pick up a "new" gun...

hipoint
January 12, 2013, 10:05 PM
btw, I had checked those places, just not in a couple of days... I guess it'll help to stay vigilant, or just give up and wait a few months...

mgmorden
January 12, 2013, 10:43 PM
Give Southern Ohio Gun a call. Recently they had a bunch of used AWB-era Ruger P-94 15-rnd mags for $10 each (not sure if they're still that price). Their website still lists them but says to call for pricing availability right now.

Like Fryer said all 9mm Ruger P-series mags work in all the pistols. Some might visually look a little different depending on when they were made but they work in all the guns.

Just be prepared to pay a bit more for shipping. I bought 4 of them from them a few months back and shipping was close to $20.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-mags-more/magazines/ruger-p94-9mm-magazine.html

J.R.W.
January 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
I've got a few extra p91 (.40) aftermarket magazines. If you wanted to experiment with tweaking the feed lips. PM me if you are interested.

BemidjiDweller
January 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
I am so glad I picked up a bunch of old used P95 (fits P89 too) mags from CDNN a while ago for $9.99 each.

I would check for P95 mags too, if you are patient, you will find a good deal eventually.

jmr40
January 12, 2013, 11:44 PM
Any of the P series 9mm mags will work. P-85, P-89, P-94, or P-95. The baseplates are different, but they should function. I've successfully used .40 mags with 9mm ammo. Wouldn't be my 1st choice, but lots of guys did so during the 1994-2004 ban.

hipoint
January 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
BigwhiteyJ, that is very nice of you! I will keep it in mind if I don't find what I'm after. That gunbroker auction was at 70 bucks yesterday for two, haven't dared look at it today! I have a 10 round and a 15 round, so it isn't like I don't have any mags, I just don't care for the 10 round as I'd rather have a .45 with 8-10 rounds than a 9mm with 10 :cool: anyhow, one 15 round magazine should be plenty of oompf having 2 mags would be what I would consider enough...

The guy I bought it from is supposed to be finding a 32 round magazine that he had stashed around for it... If I get that critter I bet I could trade it in a minute ;-) or with the way mags are going, sell it and buy a new gun with the money hehe

thanks guys, I'll give that place in Ohio a call monday and see what they say.

travisd
January 13, 2013, 12:57 PM
http://www.outdooroutfitters.com/mec-gar-magazines-MGRP8515B.aspx

Ordered some 17 rounders from them a while back but they aren't listed any more and they were quite a bit cheaper than the 15 rounders they have now.. but these are in stock

benEzra
January 13, 2013, 02:43 PM
I'd try CDNN, Brownells, Midway, Natchez, Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper than Dirt. CDNN had S&W 5906 magazines earlier this week, thankfully. Call because their website is running behind their inventory.

ku4hx
January 13, 2013, 03:35 PM
I trust OEM and Mec-Gar magazines.

http://www.mec-gar.com/Magazines/Ruger/MGRP8515

I didn't actually check the site but last I looked they had them in stock. But the current craziness causes things to go OoS at any moment.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 14, 2013, 06:37 PM
I thought the P85 and early P89 mags were different?

mdemetz
January 14, 2013, 06:54 PM
You might contact this guy (http://www.migunshows.com/ClipsGrips.html).

Gary A
January 14, 2013, 06:59 PM
The other day when I checked, Mec-Gar is not accepting any orders. Pretty much like everyone.

mgmorden
January 14, 2013, 07:58 PM
I thought the P85 and early P89 mags were different?

They might have been slightly different as produced by the factory but the mags swap between guns.

Gary A
January 15, 2013, 11:15 AM
There was a slight difference early on and Ruger used to print a caveat saying that the newer magazines might not be as reliable in guns made before a certain serial number. I think the locking notch was slightly altered. I think most mags you find now will be ok.

Fiv3r
January 15, 2013, 11:28 AM
Yep. P95 and 89 mags swap back and forth. I recently sold my 89 as I needed to make some room, but I used to swap mags with my shooting buddy who runs a 95. His were all ten rounders and mine were 15s, but worked just fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "chose a bad time to get a "new" pistol... ruger P89 mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!