Dillon CV-500 Motor replacement

PDA

ArchAngelCD
January 12, 2013, 09:09 PM
My Dillon CV-500 gave up the ghost a few months ago. I finally got around to writing Dillon and they informed me they replaced the CV-500 motor with the motor used in the CV-2001 and renamed it the CV-750. Unfortunately they have no more CV-500 motors so I would have to send them the unit for upgrade at a price of $104.95. Since a brand new CV-750 is only $144.99 at Graf's and from Dillon I was thinking it might not be worth upgrading.

Now for the real question. Does anyone know of a motor that will bolt up directly to the CV-500 without the expensive modification? I'm hoping someone has found a replacement they would be willing to share information on...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dillon has done anything wrong. I appreciate them being willing to upgrade my tumbler at a discounted price. I'm just cheap and want to find a less expensive way.

Thank you...

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon CV-500 Motor replacement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
January 12, 2013, 09:28 PM
Get the numbers off the old motor and check with Grainger's. They have everything!

Hope this helps.

Fred

FROGO207
January 12, 2013, 09:43 PM
I went through this a year or so ago. There is no SAFE (thermal cutout) replacement motor that will work. I ended up taking the motor apart and making a new shock bushing (orange rubber thingy)for the end that has the fan/inbalance wheel. I simply took the old one out and filled the area between the bearing and the case end with RTV silicone and let it cure. It has worked for me for a year so far but I have only used it to polish finished rounds as I use wet media and SS pins now to process my brass. The bearing was fine and worked when I took it apart. Dillon said that there were "problems" with the old motors and they had to factory retrofit the tumbler for liability purposes.:(

Strongbad
January 13, 2013, 12:28 AM
Get the numbers off the old motor and check with Grainger's. They have everything!

+1

As soon as I saw the title of this one, I immediately thought of Grainger.

IMtheNRA
January 13, 2013, 12:57 AM
Another vote for Grainger. They've been able to cross-reference a lot of replacement components for me over the years. It is very unlikely that Dillon used some proprietary motor, so odds are, they'll find a replacement for you.

Otto
January 13, 2013, 01:51 AM
Forget Grainger...even if you found a replacement it won't be cheap.
The CV-500 had different motor configurations throughout it's life.
Some of the motors had mounting ears welded to the frame which was a proprietary Dillon design. Finding one of those at Graingers will be impossible (ask me how I know).
I'd suggest a Thumlers Ultra Vibe 18. It's way better than Dillons and Thumlers sells replacement motors if the need should ever arise.
In fact, the motor for the UV-18 is also the same motor the the Model B rotary tumbler.

ArchAngelCD
January 13, 2013, 01:57 AM
I already bought a replacement, a Berry's 400 but in green from Cabela's. I just want to fix the old one because it's a good design and there's no reason not to have 2 working tumblers, for the right price that is...

If Grainger doesn't have it I'm guessing this one will become a planter instead of a working tumbler. That's too bad...

Otto
January 13, 2013, 02:03 AM
Sell it on eBay...that's what I did with mine. Even if it's not working people will pay out the nose for it.

kelbro
January 13, 2013, 08:25 AM
Same problem that Midway had on their tumbler that was made by the same factory.

rfwobbly
January 13, 2013, 09:01 AM
I feel for you. My 500 motor went out about 3 years ago. At that time they still had several of the lower-price motors available. All I can tell you is that Dillon did my re-motor job very quickly and had my unit back to me in about 10 days.

Blue68f100
January 13, 2013, 09:02 AM
Call a motor shop with the numbers if you don't find any thing. They have a big cross reference chart they can get you into something that will work. Most of time there cheaper than Grainger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon CV-500 Motor replacement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!