need a gun thats not in a common caliber.

PDA

CoyoteSix
January 13, 2013, 01:18 AM
So I've always boughten guns in common calibers (9mm, .223, 7.62x39 etc.) Because I always thought ammo will always be availaliable in those calibers. Ammo for said calibers is usually cheaper as well.

I've been proven very wrong by recent ammo shortages. The only calibers that are left are hunting rounds and specialized pistol rounds. (.243, .30-.30, .270, .22mag, .357 sig, various revolver calibers that aren't .357/.38spl)

So I feel like a gun chambered in the above calibers would justify ammo cost with avilability.

What're some guns that are decently priced, practical, and suitable to a student that doesn't hunt much? (I do love a good bolt gun though!)

If you enjoyed reading about "need a gun thats not in a common caliber." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fishslayer
January 13, 2013, 02:09 AM
During the last Great Ammo Drought my local WlaMart had the same lonely two boxes of WWB .357 SIG gathering dust on the shelf for months.;)

Instead of spending $$$ on another gun invest in reloading gear. People are still leaving plenty of brass behind.

BHP FAN
January 13, 2013, 02:20 AM
.410 ls the only thing left on the shelves, here.

smalls
January 13, 2013, 02:50 AM
Saw the same thing at my local WM, .357 Sig may be a good choice for you. Plenty of good SD choices, too.

gspn
January 13, 2013, 03:07 AM
I don't think it makes sense to shoot a more expensive caliber all the time just to avoid the hassle associated with infrequent supply problems of the cheaper ammo. You are essentially trying to insure against a supply shortage by buying expensive ammo.

With the money you save by shooting a cheaper caliber you can afford to keep a small inventory on hand so when shortages hit...you have a stockpile to see you through until supply comes back to normal.

CoyoteSix
January 13, 2013, 03:13 AM
Where would one begin with reloading Fishslayer? I've never considered breaking into it.

I like .357 Sig Smalls, but would I be restricted to Glock or Sig products?

Very good point Gspn, problem is all the cheap calibers are gone where I live. Yes even .22lr has been gone for almost 3 weeks now. Me being the young dope I am never stocked up.

If it helps .17hmr and .22mag are looking really appealing.

gspn
January 13, 2013, 03:19 AM
Yeah...it would be a tough time to be starting out. I was in a similar spot back when i began reloading. I got all my gear and then Obama got elected and i couldnt find components for months.:what: talk about a buzz kill

You can still find 9mm, 40 cal, and others online. We just bought a few thousand the other day at great prices. Do some shopping...you can find it.

HorseSoldier
January 13, 2013, 03:25 AM
Where would one begin with reloading Fishslayer? I've never considered breaking into it.

Lot of info online. Also you could search "Reloading" on Amazon -- demand might have skewed supply there as well recently, but last time I looked you could get used copies of various guides and references there for pretty reasonable prices. Either avenue can get you acquainted with equipment requirements and such.

What're some guns that are decently priced, practical, and suitable to a student that doesn't hunt much? (I do love a good bolt gun though!)

Some of the replicas out there for the Cowboy Action market are pretty fun to shoot, and come in calibers that may not be so thoroughly scrubbed off the shelves and online.

MDW GUNS
January 13, 2013, 04:13 AM
I love .357 SIG and there are plenty more companies beside SIG Sauer and Glock making guns in this caliber.
Great caliber!

If you want to buy something sure, buy a 12ga shotgun.
In most states it's legal to hunt deer with it and so far there was always 12ga ammo.

sonick808
January 13, 2013, 04:30 AM
agree, .17hmr and .22mag are where it's at. I guess the pmr-30 is questionable quality, and impossible to buy for less than 1000$. Maybe we;ll see a surge in Grendel sales EDIT: make that amt automag sales

BHP FAN
January 13, 2013, 04:51 AM
.327 Mag SP 101 would be pretty sweet...

savanahsdad
January 13, 2013, 05:14 AM
a good bolt gun ? any short mags, 270-wsm, 7mm-wsm, 300-wsm, or a 7mm-08.

a good lever gun in 35rem is nice too,

FROGO207
January 13, 2013, 08:38 AM
I agree with the reloading angle.:) When you reload the brass is always readily available in the common calibers and you have many choices with what the components will be to MAKE your rounds. If one particular primer, propellant, or bullet is unavailable today just find something else that will work. I equate it to eating. When going to a restaurant you only can choose from what they decide to manufacture and when they run out-------sorry.:mad: If you eat by going to the grocery store and manufacture your own meals at home then if you can only find say beef or pork and really wanted chicken you can deal with it, but the beef will still provide a good filling meal while you wait for the chicken (that you prefer) to come back to the store shelves.:D Just my take on this subject. Plus the quality will be better if you take your time to pay attention. Also a good reloading setup will cost less than a new firearm and with extra dies work with ALL of your center fire firearms----that's a win-win.:)

Elkins45
January 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
I like .357 Sig Smalls, but would I be restricted to Glock or Sig products?

I've seen Springfield XD, S&W M&P, H&K USP in .357. One real advantage is that you can convert a .357 to .40 or a .40 to .357 just by swapping barrels. So if you already own a .40 you can also have a .357 for $100 or so.

But regardless of the caliber, reloading is the best way to make sure you're never without ammo. THere are tons of places on the web to learn but you can start in the reloading subforum right here on THR.

md2lgyk
January 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
There's no ammo shortage at my local Wal-Mart. The gun case is no longer full but ammo is plentiful in most common calibers. There were even five different brands of .380. Interestingly, .410 was the only caliber I didn't see

Isaac-1
January 13, 2013, 10:50 AM
If you do it just don't get too obscure, trying to buy 9mm off the shelf now is easier than trying to find .22 WRF on the shelf at any time.

GI_Jared
January 13, 2013, 11:38 AM
I've seen Springfield XD, S&W M&P, H&K USP in .357. One real advantage is that you can convert a .357 to .40 or a .40 to .357 just by swapping barrels. So if you already own a .40 you can also have a .357 for $100 or so.

Boom, you said it all. You can find .357 sig conversion barrels for a ton of different pisols. The barrel is literally the only thing you need to change. They take the same mags and use the same extractor.

I just had a similar shortage example take place. I went out a couple weeks ago and bought hi-cap mags for guns I plan on purchasing in the future. This is because I feel that if any gun control does get passed it will be a magazine ban. So i went into the LGS and asked if they had any Glock 23 mags, they said they were sold out. Then I asked if they had any Glock 32 (.357 Sig) mags, to which they said they still had two left. So knowing that those two mags are exactly the same I bought them.

JBrady555
January 13, 2013, 11:41 AM
I thought about getting a 10mm glock myself. While sportsmansguide has been out of all the common ammo, there seems to be plenty of 10mm to be had. Its just expensive.

Al Thompson
January 13, 2013, 11:41 AM
I agree with Elkins. I own a .40 Glock and a drop in barrel would get me .357 SIG. I've read that there are 9mm barrels for the G22 (.40), so a used G22 and two additional barrels plus 9mm magazines would get me three calibers.

Probably do it for under 600 bucks too. :cool:

guitarguy314
January 13, 2013, 12:06 PM
The 45 colt and 45-70 always seem to be fully stocked at academy. Ban or no. :P

Deanimator
January 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
Instead of spending $$$ on another gun invest in reloading gear.
+10,000

In 1979, I decided that I couldn't afford to shoot factory ammunition. It hasn't gotten any cheaper since then.

gspn
January 13, 2013, 01:03 PM
There is no magic solution. The only way to not get caught short is to be prepared.

If you shoot factory ammo then you MUST keep a supply on hand.

If you reload then you MUST keep a supply of components on hand.

There are a lot of responses here telling you to get into reloading. Before you buy your equipment do a quick search for components.

You are at a big disadvantage no matter what route you decide to take at this point in the cycle. You are obviously aware of the ammo shortage in your area. But...go to the big retailers and look for primers...a vital component in reloading.

MidwayUSA is out of just about every type of primer made. Graf and sons have very few left. Without primers you don't have ammo.

Bullets too are disappearing. If you go searching for .223 components you'll find that the only thing still in stock are the most expensive components.

I reload for perhaps 10 or 12 calibers and if I need ammo I can go to my garage right now and make it for just about anything I shoot. BUT...the reason I can do it is because I've got hundreds...perhaps thousands worth of reloading components sitting there waiting for me to use them.

If I just decided to go to the store today and buy components I'd be completely out of luck.

Halal Pork
January 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
You can still find 6.5x55 available at a reasonable price:

Link (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP6555SP&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+6.5x55+Swede+139grn+SP+20rd+box&groupid=98)

targetshooter22
January 13, 2013, 01:58 PM
Seems like 243 Win, my favorite caliber is still pretty available. I see this in both factory ammunition and reloading components. Personally, I control the ammo thing by reloading. 223 is hard to find as is 308, but I have plenty of stuff to make 243, 357, and 44 mag. So there's lots to do, and plenty of supplies to get it done.

Reloading is a personal choice. Some think the time is not worth it, and the results aren't materially better than factory ammo. Obviously I disagree on both counts, but it is an opinion. The saying with reloaders is you don't pay less, but you shoot more.

FWIW, a decent manual reloading setup from RCBS, Hornady, or mixed equipment of those and LEE and/or Dillon will cost about the same as a low to mid range bolt gun. Think of it as $400-$500. You could probably beat that a little, but not by a lot once you are done getting the equipment and components for one caliber.

Deanimator
January 13, 2013, 02:07 PM
Some think the time is not worth it, and the results aren't materially better than factory ammo. Obviously I disagree on both counts, but it is an opinion.
As you know, it's a profoundly stupid opinion.

The ONLY load I shoot out of my Savage 112BVSS not only isn't equaled by a comparable commercial load, no comparable commercial load EXISTS. Just about the ONLY available commercial .30-06 target loads use the obsolescent 168gr. BTHP. My ONLY .30-06 load is a 200gr. Sierra MatchKing over IMR4350. There is simply no such commercial load, AT ALL.

targetshooter22
January 13, 2013, 03:22 PM
As you know, it's a profoundly stupid opinion.

ROFLMAO! :p

If not put diplomatically, well put accurately (pun intended). :D

Fishslayer
January 13, 2013, 03:40 PM

Just about any gun forum, including this one, has a board dedicated to ammo/reloading. Many of them even have stickies for newcomers with lists, suggestions, etc. I've also found that most reloading boards are very High Road. The members tend to be very helpful and courteous without a lot of BS. Has to be. While reloading is generally very safe, screwing around can have serious consequences.

The saying with reloaders is you don't pay less, but you DO have ammo.

Fixed for nowadays, eh? :D

mbt2001
January 13, 2013, 05:02 PM
During the last ammo crunch, I bought a Henry lever .22 because it shoots .22 LR, .22 long, and .22 short. I figure that I should be able to feed it no matter the situation. I also picked up some .22 revolvers for the same reason.

So I am thinking that .44 mag would be a good options because you can shoot .44 special, the same with .357 / .38. You really get two calibers for the price of one and in the case of .357 revolvers you can also get them for a very reasonable price depending on the brand. Also, the .22 rifles and revolvers discussed above would be a good idea.

gdcpony
January 13, 2013, 05:20 PM
.257 is still on the shelves of my LGS's. I bought 4 boxes of +P.

Elkins45
January 13, 2013, 08:09 PM
i went into the LGS and asked if they had any Glock 23 mags, they said they were sold out. Then I asked if they had any Glock 32 (.357 Sig) mags, to which they said they still had two left. So knowing that those two mags are exactly the same I bought them.

IIRC Glock uses a different follower for 357 and 40, but that's not to say it makes a difference. Sig doesn't, and their mags are marked 40/357.

You can also get 357 barrels for the 10mm Glock 20. I have one and it works great as long as you use full power loads. A G20 with a 357 barrel gets you TWO obscure calibers with one gun!

Hurryin' Hoosier
January 13, 2013, 08:15 PM
You didn't say if you're talking about long guns or handguns or both. My suggestion for a handgun which would fit your bill (and your wallet and your pocket, if you should so choose) would be a Pistolet Makarova (better known as a Makarov) in 9X18MM Makarov. Get on "www.grabagun.com" for the gun and http://www.aimsurplus.com/ for Russian-made LVE ammunition.

BHP FAN
January 13, 2013, 11:25 PM
maybe a Tokarev...

http://www.jgsales.com/ammo-for-handguns-c-25_28.html

LT.Diver
January 14, 2013, 12:00 AM
I got into reloading and bullet casting about twenty five years ago. I also started stock piling primers and powder over the years.
There won't be an ammo shortage in my family for at least a few generations. I get a kick every time the panic buying and shortages start up.

suemarkp
January 14, 2013, 01:16 AM
This is really the solution (or learn to reload and buy the components you need). You never know which uncommon caliber will be available when the panic buying starts. Those uncommon ones they stock will most likely still be on the shelf, but every store seems to have a different stock of these uncommon calibers.

Just buy a bunch of the caliber you need. That is one of the reasons why people go out and buy 1000 rounds of ammo -- it is cheaper in bulk, stores for a very long time, and you won't have to worry about running out. Choosing a common caliber will cost less once the panic settles down, especially a military or law enforcement caliber that gets mass produced today.

Erik Jensen
January 14, 2013, 01:27 AM
I think 30-30 would be a sound choice. Ballistically similar to 7.62x39, and lever action rifles are handy, fire almost as fast as a semi-auto, and are low on the list of potentially banned weapons. Capacity is generally pretty good, too.

BHP FAN
January 14, 2013, 01:39 AM
Genius. Plus the .30-30 has probably taken more deer than all the rest of the calibers combined...no external magazine to be banned...genius.

CoyoteSix
January 14, 2013, 06:16 AM
Just had a thought. the 7.62x38r is probably up there on the "weird cartridge" list.

Any of those $80 1895 Nagants around?

Also: Tokarevs, and Makarovs are on the table. I'm a sucker for Com-Bloc guns.

Also, a nice used Marlin 336 would be awesome to own. I'd just have to buy reloading equipment and have to start reloading for .30-30 :D

Fishslayer
January 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
Just had a thought. the 7.62x38r is probably up there on the "weird cartridge" list.

Any of those $80 1895 Nagants around?

Also: Tokarevs, and Makarovs are on the table. I'm a sucker for Com-Bloc guns.

Also, a nice used Marlin 336 would be awesome to own. I'd just have to buy reloading equipment and have to start reloading for .30-30 :D

Mosins are 7.62x54R. Haven't seen one for $80 in quite awhile but our local Big 5 has them on special for $119 from time to time. Last one I bought was a '28 Izhvesk 91/30 for $125 C&C. :D

Plenty of cheapish x54R around but I fear the days of the $140 crate (880 rounds) are about over. :(

jmr40
January 14, 2013, 02:53 PM
You are still better off staying with common chamberings. The key is to have enough of a supply to get you over these panic buying sprees.

CoyoteSix
January 14, 2013, 04:44 PM
Fishslayer: I already own MN 91/30 with a decent amount of Emergency ammo, I was curious about the 1895 Nagant REVOLVER! :D

inclinebench
January 14, 2013, 05:09 PM
7.5X55 Swiss. Get a K31 and fall in love.

If you enjoyed reading about "need a gun thats not in a common caliber." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!