error 501 when trying to go to the main page.

PDA

raddiver
January 13, 2013, 10:41 AM
Gents,
I get a 501 error with trying to go to the main page.
Error states:
"Potential DNS Rebind attack detected, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_rebinding
Try accessing the router by IP address instead of by hostname. "

However, If i hit any of the sub forums, it loads fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "error 501 when trying to go to the main page." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
raddiver
January 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
I see a reply to this in another thread by Derek.
Seems to have resolved this.
However, it was a booger getting to the technical support section to see it, since it's off the home page which gives the 501 error. ;)

do what you need to with this topic.

Thanks
RAD.

Mal H
January 13, 2013, 11:48 AM
You should clear your browser cache. The error message is a remnant of the previous problem.

Shadow 7D
January 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
Lot of people are reporting it, and what was the previous problem?

Derek Zeanah
January 13, 2013, 09:22 PM
Lot of people are reporting it, and what was the previous problem?
Weirdness with the load balancer: When the load balancer detects that all of our web servers go down, it can redirect to another server that gives an error message or something.
When we do that, bad things happen once the server is back up. So we don't. Instead, the load balancer tries to connect to the backup server pool (because there has to be a backup server pool), which is currently defined as the same backup pool that is probably marked as down by this point.
So, people can't connect, and eventually they try by default to connect to the firewall via HTTPS, which gives a "this web page has an invalid security cert" message.
Which is fine most of the time, because once the servers are back up, the client machine tries to connect to THR on the https:// port, the THR web server (with a signed cert) says "here I am, redirect back to regular http:// please" and we're good to go.
Except sometimes the cached info from the previous connection attempt screws the system up, and people get weird redirect messages until they close and reopen their browsers, or clear the cache.This is one huge painful experience, so we try not to bring all the web servers down, even for database maintenance. The problem was that my CDN provider set up a new interface, left the old interface as the default, but stopped updating the old interface when stuff happened, so we didn't know our purchased CDN bandwidth expired last week.

Which wouldn't be a problem because the CDN will force client machines to pull the cached stuff from the main server again, except the redirect caused the check that the load balancer uses to check if the web servers are up to kick out a response other than "200 OK," so the load balancer thought the web servers were offline.

Which caused this weirdness.

That's a long way of saying that we need to fix the problem, but the fix is either: Switch to one big web server and just push traffic through it, or
Change the load balancer to something else.But with the problems we've had of late I'm wary of making any new changes until I'm back at the data center and can install/tweak/test in a safe way.

And instead I'm at SHOT. :(

Shadow 7D
January 13, 2013, 11:50 PM
He HE HE HE....
Hey, don't console yourself by putting too many demo rounds down range or getting too many salesmen to take you out to dinner and tell you about their latest and greatest... (oh and mention to them they really need to ramp up production...)

IS OK
rumor out *there* is that THR got hacked/DNS attacked.

Deer_Freak
January 14, 2013, 10:47 AM
I have been getting the DNS error in google chrome. While the rumor might not be true the errors are happening.

If you enjoyed reading about "error 501 when trying to go to the main page." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!