Punctured RustPrufe Bottle in Safe

PDA

Triumph
January 13, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mentioned in a different thread on Ammo storage....Old clerk at LGS yesterday says he punctures the top on a Rustprufe bottle and leaves it in his safe as a rust deterrent. He said he has put a couple rusty 22LR next to the bottle and the rust disappears - along with a couple light rust spots on his rifles.

Interesting idea - Only problem is Rustprufe vapors are flammable and I have a golden rod in safe.

Have any of you heard of this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Punctured RustPrufe Bottle in Safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ehtereon11B
January 13, 2013, 12:26 PM
I don't think the Goldenrod would cause any problems with the vapors. Goldenrod and other products are low level heaters with no open spark or flame. Don't take my word for it though and test it in a controlled environment away from firearms and ammo. Just to be sure.

Ramone
January 13, 2013, 06:24 PM
Having installed almost a hundred golden rods in the bilge of gasoline powered boats, I can state with some experience that they are ignition protected.

I've only been using these:

http://www.zerust.com/product/diffuser/ict-vaporcapsules

for about two years now (in a marine environment) but so far, so good.

M-Cameron
January 13, 2013, 06:27 PM
He said he has put a couple rusty 22LR next to the bottle and the rust disappears - along with a couple light rust spots on his rifles.

that is a bold faced lie.....rust wont just disappear on its own, it must be manually removed....anyone that claims rust will just 'disappear' if you put this in your safe is selling snake oil.

Hurryin' Hoosier
January 13, 2013, 08:19 PM
Sounds pretty shaky to me. If he's discovered something which makes rust just "disappear", he'd better get a patent on it.

Triumph
January 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
Got it - I'll keep the Eva units dry and try the Zerust

Thanks Guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Punctured RustPrufe Bottle in Safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!