Taurus TCP 738; Reliable or Not?

PDA

Soldiernurse
January 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
Considering buying a Taurus TCP 738 to serve as my Summer BUG (in Central Texas). Recently, purchased a (used $255) PT140 MilPro & very pleased w/Shooting Range results. The 140 is now my "cooler" weather BUG.

Anyway, I'd like some input from past & present 738 TCP owners (no Taurus Haters, please) regards to malfxns, etc. & rate 1-10, 1 = Worst / 10 = Best

TIA!

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus TCP 738; Reliable or Not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
marv
January 13, 2013, 04:19 PM
A 738 in black stainless has been my EDC for a couple years. It goes bang when I want it to and is pretty accurate for a pocket gun. The only mod I did was pad the backstrap to lessen the recoil sting.

Soldiernurse
January 13, 2013, 04:30 PM
A 738 in black stainless has been my EDC for a couple years. It goes bang when I want it to and is pretty accurate for a pocket gun. The only mod I did was pad the backstrap to lessen the recoil sting.
Thx! Seen'em NIB price range $250-350. Problem is cannot find one in stock, online or LGSs.

snooperman
January 13, 2013, 05:37 PM
I have one and it is the best little pocket gun I have in .380. It shoots every thing I have fed it over the past 2 years.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 06:36 PM
I'm not a fan. Ridiculous recoil for a .380, and past 7 yards (I realize not what it's meant for) is laughable.

If you can get it sub $250, Id might maybe do it.

Edit to add: Both specimens I have experience with had failures in the first 500 rounds. Undesirable for weapon whose main purpose is concealment.

gator1gear
January 13, 2013, 09:08 PM
I have a buddy that has one, and it has been solid.

meanmrmustard
January 13, 2013, 09:13 PM
Thx! Seen'em NIB price range $250-350. Problem is cannot find one in stock, online or LGSs.
Try J&G Sales. If they don't have the Taurus, they do have the LCP for $299 or better.

Captcurt
January 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
I have sold several and had one problem reported. Sent it back for failure to eject. Taurus had it back in two weeks. Said that it was an undersized extractor. They make a polygun that weighs 10 oz. Recoil is pretty sharp but it is a pleasure to carry. The 738 has a very good trigger pull. About half of what a LCP or Bodyguard has.

KingMedicine
January 14, 2013, 03:22 AM
I picked one up at cabelas for a special for 189 new OTD. Needed the ramp shined up a bit, but now it feeds great, shoots well, and has an amazing trigger for a BUG.

hardluk1
January 14, 2013, 12:45 PM
Note that any company can produce a bad gun today. When people buy low cost problem guns people tend to bitch about them. When they cost 1000 dollars they get them fixed!!

Of the micro sized 380's the taurus has the best features of the buch. Great trigger too. We have 2 of them in the family and both are easy to shot well for a micro pistol and not picky about ammo.

Treat it when new just like you would any larger handgun . Clean well and lube and because of size add something to aid in grip control if you think it will help. Piece of inner tube or some factory made slip on. Mid and larger sized hands may find its easier to shot one handed. I do.

The people that tend to have touble with them say there hard to control, not accurate and don't function well. That tends to go back to basic grip control isues, skill or ammo tried.

Prices at a LGS run from 185 for a one mag black oxide slide to 260 for 2 mags and black SS slide

Soldiernurse
January 14, 2013, 07:56 PM
No LCP for me. They have no Taurus available.

Soldiernurse
January 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
I picked one up at cabelas for a special for 189 new OTD. Needed the ramp shined up a bit, but now it feeds great, shoots well, and has an amazing trigger for a BUG.
Cabela's, Buda, TX does not have any TCP's.

KingMedicine
January 14, 2013, 08:30 PM
That's odd, I picked mine up in oct there on sale.

glove
January 14, 2013, 08:48 PM
Mine is.:)

Rolex24
January 14, 2013, 08:57 PM
I've had mine for two or so years. I carry it more than anything else. The accuracy for what it is, with all ammo I've tried has been impressive. No malfunctions in close to 1,000 rounds shooting mostly Lawman FMJ's but also Corbon, Hornady, Rem Golden Sabers and Rem HD. I carry it with the Corbon's. Been wanting to get some Buffalo Bore's. I was bragging on it to a buddy so he bought it...he didn't like it at all and bought a Kahr, for twice the price, instead. He likes the Kahr.

Soldiernurse
January 14, 2013, 09:13 PM
Yea, online $249. So, I called local Cabelas & mgr told me they are out of stock. I imagine a lot has happened since last Oct http://imageshack.us/a/img521/1947/dunnofa1.gif

tlmkr38
January 14, 2013, 10:50 PM
mine is very reliable. I feed it most anything I can find including my reloads which are a light 38 semi wadcutter sized for 380 and it feeds and functions fine. As for accuracy, if you concentrate it will do good to 10 yrds or so but thats what it is made for. I'm not a big taurus person but I like this little pistol better than the kelTec or Ruger.

hardluk1
January 15, 2013, 12:37 PM
soldiernurse Which model for $249. It does make a difference. Ask your local lgs to get what you want. Our lgs orders a few of them in each week.. It does depend on if a gun shops people are worth a darn when it comes to finding and ordered.
My wifes TCP is the 738ss for $250 , 2 weeks ago. The 738fs sells for 185 around here. The 738bss for 260

BTNut
January 15, 2013, 01:07 PM
I got one this past fall at Fleet Farm, on sale for $179 with just one mag. It's been very reliable for me, so far about 200 trouble free rounds through mine. It has become my EDC for work (a no-carry zone, so I compromise and just carry smaller :)

The recoil is a tad sharp, but it's a pocket .380 not a range toy. I agree with hardluk1, I find it easier to shoot one-handed. My buddy has the Ruger .380 and we both agree that the Taurus trigger is MUCH better.

Soldiernurse
January 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
soldiernurse Which model for $249. It does make a difference. Ask your local lgs to get what you want. Our lgs orders a few of them in each week.. It does depend on if a gun shops people are worth a darn when it comes to finding and ordered.
My wifes TCP is the 738ss for $250 , 2 weeks ago. The 738fs sells for 185 around here. The 738bss for 260
The online Cabelas catalog shows the BSS. I called Cabelas. The mgr told me they are out of stock & not a clue when more will be delivered. I'm looking for a TCP 738BSS. My EMP9 is Bi-tone w/ss slide. The rest of my handguns are the standard black. I contacted a LGS. I was told to check back in a couple of weeks. "If", I could find one online still would not order due to S/H & FFL fees. Fortunately, my immediate & surrounding area is plentiful of LGS.

kokapelli
January 15, 2013, 01:51 PM
I have owned or at least shot them all and the TCP is only topped by the Sig P238 which just puts all the other 380 pocket pistols to shame.

My TCP has been completely reliable accept for one of the two magazines that came with it and Taurus replaced it in just over a week.

RFMan
January 15, 2013, 02:24 PM
I had one for two years and sold it - not to get rid of the gun, but because I got out of the caliber. I ran ~414 rounds through it. It was a pleasure to shoot; much better than the P3AT and the LCP I tried. Last shot hold open was very nice. Sights were somewhat rudimentary and hard to pick up; I recommend a dab of high-viz paint. Mine fed everything fine, FMJ and JHP both, EXCEPT for Winchester white box 88gr JHP in the 100 round value pack. Eminently concealable. I had one of these holsters for it: http://www.pocketholsters.com/Taurus_738_Pocket_Holster/taurus_738_pocket_holster.html It fit well, and the draw was great. For a concealable 380, I liked mine.

Captcurt
January 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
The 738s under $200 are the polyguns. They are labeled 738 fs. The standard TCP should run around $250 give or take $10.

hardluk1
January 16, 2013, 06:14 AM
captcurt The 738's are all poly lowers. And standard?? Ain't no standard . Pick a 2 or 3 letter model and have a gun shop hunt one up.

Captcurt
January 16, 2013, 09:59 AM
captcurt The 738's are all poly lowers. And standard?? Ain't no standard . Pick a 2 or 3 letter model and have a gun shop hunt one up.
True. They are polyframe but the FS, for some reason, sells for $40 less. I thought that it had a poly slide, but I was wrong. The Taurus website shows seven models with one discontinued. The specs are nearly identical with them weighing in at 10 oz. The titanium slide weighed 9 oz.

hardluk1
January 16, 2013, 08:37 PM
The FS has one mag and oxide finish on carbon steel. No waist bag. Thats why it sell so cheap and has only a 199 dollar retail price.

Legend
January 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
I've had a TCP 738 BSS for a little over a year. When I first bought it, I put about 250 rounds through it to prove its' reliability. I have not had a single malfunction with any ammunition including my own reloads. The TCP is easy to conceal and will fit in most any pocket. IMO it can't be beat for the price.

Soldiernurse
January 18, 2013, 02:50 PM
I bought a TCP 738FS NIB w/1 mag $209. Then, bought two more mags at Academy $19.99 each. Field Striped & cleaned it. Feed ramp is now very shiny. I have small hands but a little tricky racking the slide with this mouse, er I mean Mighty Mouse, highly concealable, better trigger axn than the S&W Bodyguard, gun. However, introduced Mighty Mouse to agent G19. Neither moved, and both stood their ground.

bobandmikako
January 18, 2013, 03:06 PM
I replaced my LCP with a 738SS a couple of years ago. It's been great.

batmann
January 18, 2013, 03:23 PM
Can't speak for the all the Taurus line, but my 24/7 Pro in .40 S&W has been close to 100%. The only issue has been some cheap reloads.

Just One Shot
January 18, 2013, 04:11 PM
I know a guy that owns a gun store. One day we were talking when a customer walked in carrying a TCP he had bought a few days before. The gentleman stated that he hasn't fired it because he couldn't get the rounds to feed from the magazine.

My friend grabbed some snap caps, loaded the mags and rack the slide to make sure the guy wasn't riding it home causing a failure to load. Sure enough he was unable to get a round into the chamber without jamming no matter how he manipulated the slide. He had another on the shelf so he grabbed the mags out of it and had the same result.

By now he's getting frustrated that the brand new gun he sold to a customer for S.D. isn't working. He went to the back and went to work on the feed lips of the magazine. after 10 min. or so he got the rounds to feed. He looked at the cust. and said it works now but if you are uncomfortable with this gun I will give you full credit towards any gun of your choice. The gentleman stated that he was uncomfortable trusting his life to a new gun that wouldn't feed properly and proceeded to trade it in for the Ruger LCP.

Taurus has come a long way since I was a young man but in my early days they were not considered a very dependable gun. As a result I have an uneasy feeling about owning one much less carrying one. I know guys who have had great luck with the Taurus line but they aren't for me.

I use to have a Ruger LCP as a pocket carry for those times I can't CC a bigger gun and it was very dependable. My biggest gripe was the lack of any kind of usable sights on it.

I have since replaced it with a S&W Bodygaurd. It has actual sights and the laser is a nice bonus. I have no doubt about being able to hit a man sized target a 25 yards with the sights that are on it.

If you like the Taurus and are comfortable with the product then get one. I would highly recommend you run a few hundred rounds through it, or any gun intended for S.D., before trusting your life to it

hardluk1
January 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
Today all firearm companies have more than there share of problems . If you think other wise your sadly mistaken. You buy and hope it proves its self worthy of useing. Some pistols may have issues racking that first round but run fine . I also put zero faith in how skilled or knowledgeable a gun shop person is with a firearm too. Specialy if they say there a smithy. Today no matter what you buy you had better shot to prove its worth trusting.

I have bought several handguns owners said where junk only to find with different ammo and a good cleaning and lube job work 100%.

schmeky
January 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
I don't care for Taurus anything personally, but I really like the TCP I have.

kokapelli
January 19, 2013, 05:57 PM
I don't care for Taurus anything personally, but I really like the TCP I have.
Well than you actually do care for something Taurus, namely the TCP-LOL

schmeky
January 19, 2013, 11:00 PM
kokapelli,

Can't argue with you :p

gtd
March 1, 2013, 04:34 PM
I had a Kel-Tec P-3AT. It went back to the factory 3 times before it was right. Then it was 100% and I carried it for years, until I traded it last fall for a Taurus PT-22 (I needed a .22 pistol for trapping). I also have a PT-145, and I previously had a PT-140.

Yesterday I bought a 738SS that had just been stocked moments before. Came with 2 mags. I went into the range, loaded both mags, and emptied each at 20 feet. My bifocals wouldn't let me focus on the sights, but I still hit two bull's eyes and made two six-inch groups. That's all the time I had.

It was much easier to manage than the P-3AT ever was, and although larger, it fits more comfortably in my pocket.

I've got to say I've been very pleased with Taurus in general, and the TCP in particular.

XD Fan
March 25, 2013, 11:14 PM
What is the difference between the 738bss, the738ss, & the738fs? In ters of quality and features, not price.

kokapelli
March 25, 2013, 11:30 PM
What is the difference between the 738bss, the738ss, & the738fs? In ters of quality and features, not price.
738BS=Blackened Stainless Slide

738SS=Stainless Slide

738FS=Blue Slide

Armed 24/7
March 25, 2013, 11:34 PM
My Dad has a stainless slide 738. We have shot several hundred trouble free rounds through it. I found out that it cycled perfectly with some lead bullet minimum starting loads using Unique. That made it a pleasure to shoot and broke it in. One ragged hole groups at 7 yards are not hard, you just have to concentrate on the small sights.

XD Fan
March 26, 2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks, kokapelli.

centermass
March 26, 2013, 09:17 PM
I have had my 738FS for about two years now. It is my go-to pocket gun. It is so light and unobtrusive that it almost disappears in my pocket with a cheap neoprene pocket holster, even in shorts (Florida standard equipment). I have run many many rounds of good and crappy ammo through it, including qualifying with it as my backup gun at work (LEO) with ZERO issues. The trigger is awesome for this type of gun. The recoil is snappy, but no more than anyone should expect from a ten ounce pocket gun with a two inch barrel. I did add the Pearce magazine extension for about $8, which seriously improved the feel of the grip for me, but it does add a little to the length of the grip. I was never really a .380 fan before, but I think Taurus did this one right. IMHO, having compared the three, the build quality seems a bit nicer than the Kel Tec and Ruger offerings in the same category.

Long story short, I'm happy with it.

Jim NE
March 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
Kinda reluctant to comment on the reliability of a pistol I don't own. But the lady I was partnered with at my ccw class over a year ago had a brand new one she was qualifying with. I had to load her magazines and she mine. She was a LEO, by the way.

Her gun continually failed to return to battery, but never really jammed, as I recall. She just had to push the slide forward a few rounds per magazine. Many Tauruses need to go through a break in period - more so than some other brands. You might want to be prepared for that. But once they do, they tend to be quite reliable.

All she really needed to do was take a power drill (in the absence of a dremel) put a bore cleaning fitting in the chuck with a cloth on it and some polish and really buff the feed ramp.

weregunner
March 27, 2013, 05:38 AM
Maybe you ought to do research at the link below and see do some research on the 738.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700-s/

glove
March 27, 2013, 08:58 PM
TCP has been 100% for me.:)

YZ
March 28, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mine did not feed hp reliably. I kept trying, polished the dickens out of the ramp, and traded it with a disclosure. Probably hit and miss, like many other small 380s.

hardluk1
March 28, 2013, 01:18 PM
If it does not work with the ammo used change ammo brands!!

YZ
March 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
If it does not work with the ammo used change ammo brands!!
Aw shucks, Your Honor, I had indeed tried several defensive HP loads. Now seriously. The TCP is a last resort weapon. When the hornadys the feds and the corbons did not cycle 100%, I made a personal decision to move on. Was fun to shoot though, nice grip. Glad to hear the TCP has performed well for others.

kokapelli
March 28, 2013, 02:04 PM
I have not had a single failure with my TCP, but I must admit that since I believe JHP is not the best way to go in these short barreled 380 pistols I have only used fmj and mostly Winchester truncate bullet.

returningfire
March 28, 2013, 03:31 PM
I carried a P3AT, traded it. Carried an LCP, put a laser on it carried it a while longer, traded it. I bought a 738 two and one half years ago and it is still in my pocket. Polish the ramp a little and they will eat anything.
Yes they are all small and lightweight and pop pretty hard with SD rounds, but the 738 is easier to keep on target than the other two for me. Not that any of them have real sights, it is more like a suggestion.
But I can bust a watermelon at 20 paces with it, that's good enough for me.

hardluk1
March 29, 2013, 01:13 PM
yz I can now see your smarter than the average donkey . As you did not say what ammo you tried in your first post how does any one know or what series you had as early series had some issues later series did not have to deal with. Since you did not send it back for cs to fix I doubt any one realy cares..

YZ
March 30, 2013, 03:10 PM
yz I can now see your smarter than the average donkey . As you did not say what ammo you tried in your first post how does any one know or what series you had as early series had some issues later series did not have to deal with. Since you did not send it back for cs to fix I doubt any one realy cares..
I did not mean to offend you by mocking your advice. I thought it was done in good jest, because you had come on strong, stating something trivial. But ok I am changing my name to Jack S.

Headerpipe
July 25, 2013, 02:00 AM
After spending some time comparing the 3 guns side by side, I was absolutely impressed with the TCP. Better trigger action, tighter gun, and of course somewhat better price which was the last criteria I used. No problems with the gun as of this writing. I know that DB-Tactical in St Louis has one of each at least in stock

weregunner
July 25, 2013, 06:35 AM
Welcome aboard, Headerpipe.

The 738 is a fine gun.

beatledog7
July 25, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mine will not digest Tula steel-cased ammunition. Aside from that it has not had a failure, but it's still too new for my assessment to be complete.

kokapelli
July 25, 2013, 09:30 AM
After spending some time comparing the 3 guns side by side, I was absolutely impressed with the TCP. Better trigger action, tighter gun, and of course somewhat better price which was the last criteria I used. No problems with the gun as of this writing. I know that DB-Tactical in St Louis has one of each at least in stock
Of the three, absolutely the TCP.

hardluk1
July 25, 2013, 08:10 PM
Tula steel cause problems for many handguns in diffrent cartidges. I here enought bad news about it from area shooters to avoid it completely.

beatledog7
July 25, 2013, 11:04 PM
My BDA doesn't mind it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus TCP 738; Reliable or Not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!