Midway Dogtown Bullets .223 HP, Crimp for AR?

PDA

LivewireBlanco
January 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
Jumped on some of these while they were still in stock. I usually use Hornady fmj 55gr but I don't know when those will be back in stock. My question is that they don't have a cannelure but I like to crimp for my AR. would light crimp be ok?

If you enjoyed reading about "Midway Dogtown Bullets .223 HP, Crimp for AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve H
January 13, 2013, 01:27 PM
I would like to know also

NeuseRvrRat
January 13, 2013, 01:33 PM
light taper crimp will be fine, but it isn't necessary.

Ifishsum
January 13, 2013, 01:36 PM
You can a little bit if you do, back it off from what you do with a cannelure. You want no more than to just kiss the crimp ring in the die - without a cannelure the crimp has nowhere to go, you don't want to ruin accuracy by compressing a divot into the bullet. I've done a very light crimp like this since I started loading for my AR - it probably doesn't even do much but make me feel better and doesn't seem to hurt my accuracy.

carbine85
January 13, 2013, 01:43 PM
After you fire one round and let another feed under full force remove the round and see if the OAL has changed. If it's shorter you will know that a crimp is necessary. You can get a crimp die that will crimp the whole top area of the neck and not just the taper at the edge.

oldpapps
January 13, 2013, 02:05 PM
I use 'Dogtown' bullets and like them a lot.

I don't crimp and wouldn't crimp. But as you want to, I would advise that very, very little crimp be attempted. Also, be precise with the case length. Other wise you stand a great chance of setting back the shoulder. It is very hard to see but makes chambering hard to impossible.

C&H Tool used to make a tool to role a cannalure cut into bullets. You could check them. I've got one, haven't used it in 40 years or more. I just don't crimp rifle rounds and use a taper crimp on .40s and .45s just for consistency.

JimKirk
January 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
I don't use any crimp for my .223 Remington ... never had a problem with them ... if you have the proper neck tension there is no need to crimp....

bogon48
January 13, 2013, 09:52 PM
While I have a Lee Factory Crimp die, I've never found it necessary for my .223 AR. I have also used the Dogtown bullets, and look for them on sale. Like the other guys noted above, a good taper crimp seems to work well enough for the shooting I do.

45lcshooter
January 14, 2013, 10:17 AM
Yes you would be able to crimp with out cannlure.

cfullgraf
January 14, 2013, 12:40 PM
I don't use any crimp for my .223 Remington ... never had a problem with them ... if you have the proper neck tension there is no need to crimp....

Right.

Also, I do not crimp my Garand ammunition nor my M1A ammunition.

If you enjoyed reading about "Midway Dogtown Bullets .223 HP, Crimp for AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!