Biggest bang for my buck (poll inside)

PDA

brow_tines
January 13, 2013, 12:51 PM
OK I'm wanting to downsize my number of different powders for pistols. These are the calibers that I load for and will load for eventually 9,38/357,40,44,45.
With that being said I was thinking about Bullseye or Unique, I know that one powder isn't the best for all calibers and with the 44 in the mix I might and to buy a different type of powder for it.
But, help me narrow it down for the best bang for my buck :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Biggest bang for my buck (poll inside)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hueyville
January 13, 2013, 12:53 PM
If you only want to stock one Unique is my choice.

jwrowland77
January 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
If you only want to stock one for all those use either Unique or Universal. It'll cover that entire spread.

wankerjake
January 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
I DO love pie, and voted as such.

Unique would go a long way for what you listed, titegroup would be another one to look at. W231... I would probably have a couple different powders on hand, myself.

Rollis R. Karvellis
January 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
Unique for the non magnum
2400 for thd magnum
Pie rules. Both type's.

Kevin Rohrer
January 13, 2013, 01:51 PM
Safety over quality means Unique or other bulky powder over economy. Eyes are hard to replace.

Hagen442
January 13, 2013, 01:52 PM
Clays and American Select Cover the Majority of my Smokeless Reloading Needs
My Common Smokeless Reloads are As Follows:
12 and 20 Gauge ShotShell
38 Special ,38 Colt Short , 45ACP , 45Long Colt , 44 Magnum , 40 S&W and 9MM Luger

Blue68f100
January 13, 2013, 02:50 PM
I voted Pie....

If Unique will meter in your dispenser good. It does not in mine. Both of those powders burn dirty compared to what I use.

Using only one powder will limit you. Neither are good for mag loads.

Lost Sheep
January 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
When I started shooting and loading, I used 2400 in my .357 Magnum on the recommendation of a friend. When I went to buy my second pound of powder, I chose Bullseye because it was the most energy-dense powder I could find (that is, it gave me more shots per pound than any other listed in my loading manual). Bangs per buck.

Now that I know a little bit more and have more sophisticated appreciation for velocity, payload and pressure, slower burning powders like H110. You can get several times fewer shots per pound (or dollar) but those shots max out the velocity, momentum and energy for the pressure. Bang for buck.

See the difference?

If I shot long-distance rifle, I might choose something completely different. Smaller groups would be the "bang" I seek and a few cents, nickles or dimes per round saved would be irrelevant.

How do you measure YOUR bang you seek?

Lost Sheep

p.s. I like cobbler.
edit: Thanks buck460XVR. My favorite pie is Walnut pie (while growing up, we had a walnut tree in our back yard and Mom made Pecan pies using Walnuts instead. ) So, Berry Cobbler or Pecan pie. Now I have a hankering, darn it!

ljnowell
January 13, 2013, 03:48 PM
AA#2 and 2400. You can load anything.

James2
January 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
Unique if you want only one powder for these rounds.

However, as noted, if you are after top velocity in some of these rounds, Unique won't give it to you.

I voted Pie. It doesn't bother me to buy a pound of powder for a specific caliber to get the best results (translated highest velocity). If best results is your "Bang" then this is the way to go.

As pointed out by Lost Sheep, If you are looking for the most loads per pound and hence the most "Bangs" per $, then go for one of the faster burning powders that require less powder per round.

I have loaded lots of 44 Mag with Unique. Though it doesn't give the highest velocity for the caliber, it does give a good robust round that is a pleasure to shoot.

I suspect that in the end you will do as most of us have, and try several powders, and eventually find what you like the best for each caliber. I think that is why we like to reload. Have fun!

buck460XVR
January 13, 2013, 04:11 PM
When I started shooting and loading, I used 2400 in my .357 Magnum on the recommendation of a friend. When I went to buy my second pound of powder, I chose Bullseye because it was the most energy-dense powder I could find (that is, it gave me more shots per pound than any other listed in my loading manual). Bangs per buck.

Now that I know a little bit more and have more sophisticated appreciation for velocity, payload and pressure, slower burning powders like H110. You can get several times fewer shots per pound (or dollar) but those shots max out the velocity, momentum and energy for the pressure. Bang for buck.

See the difference?

If I shot long-distance rifle, I might choose something completely different. Smaller groups would be the "bang" I seek and a few cents, nickles or dimes per round saved would be irrelevant.

How do you measure YOUR bang you seek?

Lost Sheep

p.s. I like cobbler.

Well said Lost Sheep. Only thing I could add is that sometimes performance costs. I have a friend that reloads and he only buys powder on sale and the powder he can get the most rounds outta. He then uses these powders for all his loads. He admits that they are not the best for all applications, but claims they work "good enough". Is "good enough" why we reload? Not me, one reason I have 2-3 powders available for every handgun caliber I reload for. Whether it's mouse fart, medium velocity or full blown hunting loads, I want the best performance possible. Regardless of what others claim, I have yet to find any powder that works well in all applications. Powder is cheap compared to the cost of throwing bullets downrange who's accuracy is just "good enough".

Me....I like pie too, especially if it's Pecan!

BGD
January 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
I would go with Unique, But I would have to keep H110 for the 44 mag.:)

jmorris
January 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
231 will work for them all but I don't try to use one for everything anymore.

JLDickmon
January 13, 2013, 07:28 PM
I like Pop Tarts

and Unique

BYJO4
January 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
I use Unique with good results. My 44 Mag loads are mid range.

Jesse Heywood
January 14, 2013, 09:55 PM
I have to agree with Unique for a universal powder. My results with the faster burning powders (bullseye, red dot, AA#2, titegroup) in magnum pressure rounds have not been that great. Another powder that I have had good results with is IMR 700-X. For the magnum pressure my favorite is 4227, my second choice is 800-X (which meters like dried cow chips). I haven't tried 2400, which seems to be a favorite here.

Forgot that I make a good chocolate pie.

GW Staar
January 14, 2013, 10:50 PM
Been using Unique for 40 years....been going to try silhouette....powerpistol, and some others....but no pressure to hurry. But if I could only have one, that'd be it. 2400 or H110 are better for magnums, though.

Pie? I look forward to spring for one important reason....Fresh Strawberry Pie covered with Whipping Cream.....thanks to places like Ponchatoula Louisiana, where they ripen acres and acres of them in April.:) Only problem .... is getting them to New Mexico.

boommer
January 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
Unique works in shotgun, pistol , rifle even up to 45-70 and such. maybe not top in all but the most versatile.

bluetopper
January 14, 2013, 11:04 PM
Powder is the cheapest component in reloading, why limit yourself right from ther start. Experimenting is more than half the fun.
Also, the more I try Accurate brand powders the more I like them.

56hawk
January 14, 2013, 11:22 PM
I voted Bullseye since you can load just about any pistol round with it. And since the charge weights are so small, it seems to last forever. The only problem is that for 357 and 44 you will only be able to load target rounds. Really need to get a couple pounds of H110 for the full power loads.

Mel1776
January 15, 2013, 09:11 PM
Pecan 1st

or

Mincemeat 2nd

Mel1776
January 15, 2013, 09:13 PM
Oh, one powder, I'd go with Unique.

John C
January 15, 2013, 11:46 PM
Unique is the best bet for what you want to do. I personally chose Universal, which is a very similar powder. Universal meters better, and can be used in almost all the same applications as Unique. It's also cleaner.

-John

ArchAngelCD
January 16, 2013, 12:08 AM
If there's only one it's W231/HP-38 for me but I use my "Powder Trinity", W231 (HP-38), W540 (HS-6) and W296 (H110).

Searcher4851
January 16, 2013, 09:58 AM
Although I use a lot of different powders for different calibers, I make sure I always have plenty of Unique on hand. You may not get the optimal performance from it in some loadings, but you can load most any caliber with it. It is very versatile.

dragon813gt
January 16, 2013, 12:28 PM
Only one powder, Universal. But i don't load magnums to powder puff levels so you'll need two. In that case, HP-38/W231 & H110/W296.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

Arkansas Paul
January 16, 2013, 01:03 PM
If choosing from the two you mentioned, Unique. If I could only have one pistol powder that's what it would be. Very versatile. I think Bullseye would be a little on the fast side for the .44 and .45 stuff. I've used it but it's not ideal by any stretch.

Oh, and I also like pie. Key Lime is my #1 choice if you're wondering about that. :)

JEB
January 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
i would go with unique......

and french silk chocolate pie....

leftymachinist
January 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
Unique is pretty hard to beat. However a long while back I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag. It wouldn't group worth beans with all loads, factory or popular handloads. Then I stumbled on to a Shooting Times article about using Hercules Herco in magnum handguns. It did the trick for all loads from light target thru full stompin mag. It is still my favorite powder.

CraigC
January 16, 2013, 06:54 PM
Unique.

Any pie.

marksg
January 16, 2013, 07:25 PM
Use just one powder:what:

Blasphemer , i say.:D

I chose pie - pumpkin or apple

wardor
January 17, 2013, 11:40 AM
True Blue... cleaner, meters better than Unique. A little more pep in the bullets with lower pressure than W231.

leadchucker
January 17, 2013, 12:05 PM
If you leave out the magnum loads, W231 would be my choice.

Pilot
January 17, 2013, 12:17 PM
I'm probably the only reloader who has never used Unique or Bullseye. I've always used Clays for .45ACP which seems pretty efficient and W231/HP-38 for 9MM, as well at Titegroup now for that and some others. They all are pretty efficient powders.

SDGlock23
January 17, 2013, 12:26 PM
I would lose my mind if I had to only have one powder, but Unique does pretty well all the way around. It won't get you the most out of the .357 Mag or 44 Mag, but it will work for up to mid level loads in those.

11c2v
January 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
What kind of pie are we talking about?

Hondo 60
January 17, 2013, 11:00 PM
Never tried Bullseye & Unique measured like crap for me.

Besides, I don't either would taste anywhere as good as pie. ;)

KeithET
January 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
MMmmmm Pie!!! :D

Oh and I would pick Unique. Unless there was Pie. ;)

cfullgraf
January 18, 2013, 04:02 PM
I voted for Unique mostly because I have 30 some years of experience with in all the calibers listed except 40 S&W. But I am sure I could make it work in 40 S&W.

I also use Unique in 20 and 28 gauge shotshells.

There are other powders that are as versatile and work as well. If i could not get Unique, I would look at load data for AA#5 and W231, again, I have experience with those powders in some of the cartridges but not as extensive as Unique.

I like to have alternatives if i cannot find my powder of choice.

Ex
January 20, 2013, 01:23 AM
I used to say Unique, now I say LongShot. Better velocity at lower pressures, less residue, and far better metering. That was my main objection to Unique... it meters ok, but not great. LongShot meters much better.

readyeddy
January 20, 2013, 03:10 AM
I would narrow it down to two powders instead of one. Something like W231 and HS6. Not so much on the extremes but both closer to the middle with overlap.

EVIL
January 20, 2013, 11:35 AM
I load for most of those calibers with W231 & 2400. I would get a 4 pounder of each ...

tightgroup tiger
January 20, 2013, 12:24 PM
I can't trust Unique to meter in my measures with in my acceptable tollerances, let alone get it within plus or minus .2 (.4 spread) so Unique wouldn't be my first choice. Neither would Bullseye.

I would use multible types any ways if I had a any choice at all.

I prefer Universal, Power Pistol, and 2400 for magnums.

If you enjoyed reading about "Biggest bang for my buck (poll inside)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!