Sig SG550 military model

PDA

Brockak47
January 13, 2013, 01:46 PM
What if I were to find a Sig SG550 in an abandon house with no paperwork can I find out if it's legal for me to own?

the gun semi,burst, and full. It is a Swiss made SG550

EDIT::::

hypothetically.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig SG550 military model" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
January 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
If its not papered/tranferable you are out of luck. Something tells me this was a dealer sample or lost Leo rifle of some kind. My two cents is I would not take possession of said fictional rifle.

Brockak47
January 13, 2013, 02:33 PM
What if I just took possession of everything except the lower receiver?

is there a way I can find out if it's papered?

the rifle in question looks exactly like this one same notch out by the bolt and everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stgw_90.jpg

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 13, 2013, 03:01 PM
If you have it in your possession without a stamp, it is the same as unregistered or stolen to the BATF. I would stay far,far away. Since they weren't really made abundantly until 1986 and later, I would have to say no matter what it is MOST LIKELY illegal for a citizen to own.

Sam1911
January 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
If it is not registered TO YOU, it is absolutely counterfeit. If you are in possession of it at all -- even for a moment -- you are breaking federal law with consequences of 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Sounds like a good gamble, no? :rolleyes:

As for all the parts & pieces? The receiver is the regulated part. Without that part, it's just "parts." Were it to be stripped down and the receiver torch-cut into three or four pieces, you'd not be in possession of an unregistered MG. But...until and while you're doing that, you would be.

Brockak47
January 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
torch cut the lower receiver or the upper? or both?

Sam1911
January 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
It depends. Where is the serial number and manufacturer's information?

TurtlePhish
January 13, 2013, 03:37 PM
I believe the "gun" part of a Sig rifle is the upper receiver, no?

Sam1911
January 13, 2013, 03:44 PM
I don't know for sure. Depends on whether it's considered more like an FAL or more like an AR-15.

AlexanderA
January 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
Even in the very remote possibility that this was at one time registered as a transferable (and that could be determined through a lawyer specializing in such things), that won't do you any good unless you can establish a chain of title from the last registered owner. That's not possible if it was a "found" item.

Prince Yamato
January 13, 2013, 08:03 PM
They came out in '86. There are some in the registry, (like less than 10) and they are literally last-minute conversions. I'd guess that you, hypothetically, came across a lost LEO gun.

JustinJ
January 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
The upper is the serialized receiver, as i understand it.

rcmodel
January 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
hypothetically, came across a lost LEO gun.Or more likely, one that walked across the border from Mexico with a drug shipment.
It's only 175 miles from the border.

I wouldn't touch it with your 10-foot pole!!

rc

zoom6zoom
January 14, 2013, 05:09 PM
What if I just took possession of everything except the lower receiver?
The upper is the registered receiver on a SIG 5xx rifle.

rosewood151
January 22, 2013, 03:46 AM
If they came out in 86, and importation of foreign made machine guns was halted in 68, how exactly are there "like 10" in the registry?

EDIT: Didn't read whole post. Didn't see "last minute conversion"

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig SG550 military model" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!