Shot My PPS for the first time today

PDA

Atbat82
January 13, 2013, 10:27 PM
I bought it about 2 weeks ago, but this is the first time I've been able to get out to the range. A couple of observations:

1) This thing is a sweet shooter. Recoil is minimal which surprised me from such a small gun. The trigger is very nice. I put 200 rounds down range. A mix of S&B, Blazer, WWB and some Hornady SD ammo. It ate up everything with no hangups of any kind (no FTF, FTE, Stovepipes, etc).

2) I'm a big fan of the paddle mag release on the Walther. In fact, when I moved back to my Ruger, I kept looking for the release on the trigger guard.

3) It absolutely disappears when I CC it. I could wear spandex and I wouldn't print (though absolutely no one wants to see me in Spandex!)

4) I'm not a huge fan of having to pull the trigger to field strip the gun, but otherwise it breaks down very easily and is easy to clean.

One other thing, about 150 rds into my range session, the front site "twisted". At first I thought it broke, but it turns out that it's held on by a small screw and the screw had worked itself loose. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it common? Is it anything to be worried about? It was quite easy to fix by field stripping the gun and then re-tightening the screw.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with my new purchase. I wasn't expecting to enjoy shooting this on the range, I figured it would be a good carry gun, but it was actually pleasant to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot My PPS for the first time today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sigarms228
January 13, 2013, 10:52 PM
Glad to hear and congrats on the Walther PPS!

Now that Illinois will be getting CCW supposedly by summer I am looking for a CCW pistol. The PPS is high on my list but now no one has one in 9MM LOL. Also high on my list is the 9MM M&P Shield which again I can not find and maybe the SIG P239. Worst comes to worst I could use my Glock 19 but am looking for someting smaller and thinner.

Atbat82
January 13, 2013, 11:09 PM
It's definitely thin. I took me a while to find, so long that I'd pretty much given up. Them one day I found a used one in my LGS with 4 mags and a custom holster. Couldn't pass it up. Keep looking and hopefully IL comes around!

Sent from my iPhone

Crunchy Frog
January 13, 2013, 11:43 PM
If you really dislike pulling the trigger to field strip, simply follow the procedure in the manual-removing the backstrap de-cocks the striker without pulling the trigger.

Atbat82
January 14, 2013, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into that. I guess I'll need to weigh removing the backstrap (which I've read can be temperamental) with my dislike of pulling the trigger. (Some people are never happy, huh? Haha).

Seriously though, I didn't realize you could do that. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

777TRUTH
January 14, 2013, 04:57 AM
Congrats on the PPS.

I agree the PPS feels more like a compact when shooting rather than a single stack 9mm. I can shoot it all day without fatigue.

One other thing, about 150 rds into my range session, the front site "twisted". At first I thought it broke, but it turns out that it's held on by a small screw and the screw had worked itself loose. It was quite easy to fix by field stripping the gun and then re-tightening the screw.

Remove the screw and put some blue loctite on it. It will never happen again .

wally
January 14, 2013, 11:32 AM
Remove the screw and put some blue loctite on it. It will never happen again .

If you really want "never" use red loctite, but blue is the proper choice here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot My PPS for the first time today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!