More bow questions

PDA

Sobel
January 14, 2013, 06:07 AM
I looked at 3 rivers archery and I found this starter kit ( is it even worth it? )

http://www.3riversarchery.com/VariableKit.asp?show=rate&i=2495#full

The price is right and it comes with a bunch of things I just don't know what any of it is. I understand the bow is the bow and the quiver is where I place my arrows but what is a calf hair tab? Does the cartel bow stringer work well? We never used arm guards in my highschool archery class but I suppose I'll need one. When choosing draw hand and weight I draw right handed but what does the TD mean after sage? I'm sorry for all of the questions.

If you enjoyed reading about "More bow questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DDeegs
January 14, 2013, 08:36 AM
Sobel,
You use the calf hair tab insted of a shooting glove to protect your fingers on the hand that draws the string, a bow stringer works by holding both ends of the bow, you step on it and pull the bow up to string it without twisting the limbs, and TD means take down, the limbs come off for storage and transport.
Hope this helps

Dan

Sobel
January 14, 2013, 08:11 PM
Sobel,
You use the calf hair tab insted of a shooting glove to protect your fingers on the hand that draws the string, a bow stringer works by holding both ends of the bow, you step on it and pull the bow up to string it without twisting the limbs, and TD means take down, the limbs come off for storage and transport.
Hope this helps

Dan
Thanks it really does, I think I will get it.

gazpacho
January 14, 2013, 09:03 PM
It looks like a perfectly good kit.

My only concern is that the armguards offered might be too small.

nmlongbow
January 14, 2013, 11:21 PM
That's a good deal and the Sage is popular with lot's of good reviews. I would get a fast flight string if it doesn't come with one. Some people love back quivers but I've never liked them and prefer a hip quiver for targets.

Gloves and tabs are personal preference but I like tabs better.

Good luck and have fun shooting a real bow.

Sobel
January 15, 2013, 03:35 AM
That's a good deal and the Sage is popular with lot's of good reviews. I would get a fast flight string if it doesn't come with one. Some people love back quivers but I've never liked them and prefer a hip quiver for targets.

Gloves and tabs are personal preference but I like tabs better.

Good luck and have fun shooting a real bow.
One more question , on this page

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bow+Start+Up+Kit_i2496_baseitem.html

What exactly is a bear hair rest and plate?

Dave Markowitz
January 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
The Bear Hair rest and plate go on the riser, for the arrow to rest on, so the arrow isn't on bare wood. Like the leather rest and plate I put on this longbow:

http://flintlock.org/pics/var/resizes/Hickory-Flatbow/riser.jpg?m=1353604872

Sobel
January 15, 2013, 11:46 AM
Its all starting to make sense . Thank you I now feel like I know enough to order a few things after I find an archery shop and see what weight I should get

R H Clark
January 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
Start out at least 5 lbs less than you think you can handle.

If you enjoyed reading about "More bow questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!