Gelatin test: .357 mag 158 gr JSP

PDA

chopinbloc
January 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-Tfq_bRSU

If you enjoyed reading about "Gelatin test: .357 mag 158 gr JSP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brnmw
January 14, 2013, 04:11 PM
And yet there will still be the ".357 Mag. is underpowered" group still to comment. :rolleyes:

I still to this day struggle with a friend of mine that believes that unless it's a .44 Mag. it's useless. Makes me sick. :banghead:

TurtlePhish
January 14, 2013, 05:33 PM
Good penetration, not too much expansion though.

chopinbloc
January 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
Expansion and penetration have an inverse relationship. The deformation that did exist really just served to expand the meplat a bit, which ought to cut a cleaner hole. I'd consider this adequate for largeish animal defense here in AZ. We don't have the nuclear powered demon bears like you see up in Wyoming, etc.

Steve C
January 15, 2013, 07:10 PM
Don't know why anyone would expect much expansion from a soft point at handgun velocities. Like any solid nose bullet deformation is minimal.

ArchAngelCD
January 16, 2013, 12:57 AM
For protection against animals I would rather see that penetration that only 12" or so. I'm a huge fan of the 38/357 and with good reason.

R.W.Dale
January 16, 2013, 02:29 AM
This load would also be well suited to carbines and the added 400+ fps they bring to the table

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complains about

chopinbloc
January 16, 2013, 03:54 PM
Steve C, that's pretty much what I expected: the exposed lead pushed all the way back to the jacket, then stopped. It simply widened the meplat, which should cut a slightly wider wound. I'd relly like to see a similar bullet with the jacket further back. Just enough to protect the rifling from leading so it can be pushed really fast but far enough back as to get a little more expansion without the full, aggressive expansion you get from JHP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gelatin test: .357 mag 158 gr JSP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!