steyer 6.5x54

PDA

John Lesch
January 14, 2013, 06:12 PM
just bought a 1903 steyer 6.5x54 with a broken stock. The gun is in great shape other than that. I've tried to take the stock off ...have the trigger guard and the trigger mech out...removed the main bolt to the barrel but must be missing something....it's a sportster ...any advice would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "steyer 6.5x54" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hoghunting
January 15, 2013, 04:07 PM
If I recall correctly, you need to remove the magazine. In front of the trigger guard, there are two holes in the magazine plate, use a small punch or cartridge tip to press down on the spring in the front hole farthest from the trigger guard. Then rotate the magazine plate until it clears the cut outs. Then rock the plate back and forth until you can pull it out of the stock. I believe you can remove the stock then. Good luck.

John Lesch
January 16, 2013, 09:23 PM
Hoghunting,
Thanks, worked like a charm!!
Now the work begins...someone along the way thought a good dose of bondo was just the thing to fix the stock. It's going to take some time but it appears as though I should be able to remove almost all of it without too much trouble then I've got to figure out how to realy fix the break.
Thanks again.
John

Steel Horse Rider
January 16, 2013, 10:55 PM
I just repaired a mighty big wrist crack in an Arisaka Carbine stock with Acraglas. The preparation took some time but the repair came out very nicely.

hoghunting
January 18, 2013, 01:55 AM
Here's what you need, unfortunately they are only sold in packs of 12, but with Acraglas it is an extremely strong repair.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-repair-products/stock-repair-pins/stock-repair-pin-kit-sku080565000-617-2540.aspx?sku=080565000

Since I forgot in my first post, Welcome to the forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "steyer 6.5x54" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!