One last 9mm CZ 75 / Beretta 92 / Browning Hi Power

PDA

TennJed
January 14, 2013, 08:52 PM
Ok, I think I need one more 9mm and I want one of the iconic steel frame. This will be just a fun gun and range toy. What I have currently in 9mm:

S&W 5906
CZ Rami
Sig P290
Glock 19.

I have narrowed it down to the following 3. I think I am leaning toward the Hi Power just because I already have the CZ Rami and I have a Beretta 84 in 380 which is similar in design. I do not own any Browning guns and would like to "check" that off my collection. The only thing about the Hi Power I don't like compared to the others is I rank it last in looks vs the other 2.

which would you choose and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "One last 9mm CZ 75 / Beretta 92 / Browning Hi Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgmorden
January 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
Unless there are special variants that I'm unaware of, the standard Beretta 92 has an aluminum alloy frame. The CZ-75 and Browning Hi Power are both steel though.

Between those if you're looking for "iconic", nothing says that like the Browning. It's the original double-stack 9mm.

CPLofMARINES
January 14, 2013, 09:18 PM
M9 overrated, BHP overpriced, CZ 75b my most accurate pistol.
I own the stainless version. Price of CZ's are very attractive.
I feel that they are one of the most underrated pistols out
There. Main reason because of not many people have heard
Of them. Unless you are in tune with our culture. If it's not
Colt or S&W a lot of folks don't have a clue, sad but true.
I also own the PO-7 Duty, nice polymer with a hammer, if
That's your desire. BTW the PO-7 has about 1500 Rds
Through it and no malfunctions. CZ's slide inside the frame
Thing (European) adds rigidity and accuracy.

Semper Fi

IdahoSkies
January 14, 2013, 09:25 PM
I love my witness. A CZ clone. Its more accurate than I am, eats anything, and is incredibly comfortable to shoot. I vote for the CZ.

Pilot
January 14, 2013, 09:31 PM
I voted BHP, but I have a few CZ's, and plan to get more. A big reason for getting the BHP is that they are getting hard to find, and you just have to have one. They are superior pistols.

wow6599
January 14, 2013, 09:33 PM

This ^ is right on the money.

Given the OP's question, I'm torn between the Hi Power and CZ 75B - and I have both.
I think the CZ 75 is the better firearm, but a BHP is like a '63 Corvette.... timeless.

I can't vote.

acmax95
January 14, 2013, 09:34 PM
I voted Hi Power. I don't have a Browning but I recently picked up a FEG clone and it is a nice gun, quickly becoming one of my favorites. I can only imagine a Browning would be that much better.

2wheels
January 14, 2013, 10:50 PM
When you say "iconic"... As far as I'm concerned only the HiPower meets that requirement, no contest. What can you say about it? It's the HiPower! Along with a good 1911, a HiPower is just one of those handguns you've got to have in your collection.

If you choose not to go with the HP, I'd pick the CZ over the Beretta anyday of the week.

hAkron
January 14, 2013, 11:48 PM
For $600, you could buy a Beretta, change out the plastic trigger (if you want) and replace the mainspring for a better DA pull. You could spend $900 to buy a Hi Power, and remove the magazine disconnect to get the 'yuck' out of the trigger, or you could spend $480 and buy a CZ, then go shoot it (the way to improve the function of a CZ is to shoot it).

aHFo3
January 15, 2013, 12:23 AM
I recently acquired a commander size 9mm 1911 by STI that I am really enjoying.

aHFo3
January 15, 2013, 12:24 AM
I'd go with the BHP. it's the classic of those classics listed.

7mmb
January 15, 2013, 12:54 AM
I voted for the CZ but my 9mm range gun is the Witness Elite Match. I know it's derived from the CZ but it's really more of a Sig P210 and a Hi-Power rolled into one. Awesome pistol.

Baba Louie
January 15, 2013, 01:11 AM
Le Grande Puissance 35 but of course.

Last in looks? Really? Slim, solid, substantial yet elegant, designed by Dieudonne Saive, copied by many for good reason. Having owned all three, the GP35 would be the last 9mm I'd get rid of and will serve in good stead with your other 9mms.

But you do want to add the CZ and 92 to your collection too if and when you can because DAs are fun to shoot as well and the other two are fine examples.

TimboKhan
January 15, 2013, 01:30 AM
The Hi Power is probably the best choice, but I voted Beretta 92 just because I like that pistol. I know everyone likes to cite how the military hates them, but I always enjoyed shooting this model, and I further enjoyed carrying one in the Marines.

With that said, I would rather have the Taurus model, because of the frame vs. the slide mounted safety.

Stringfellow
January 15, 2013, 04:09 AM
I have all three and would be hard pressed to choose. The BHP is undoubtedly the most iconic. The CZ is most comfortable to hold, but the 92 is the most comfortable to shoot. If the CZ 75 SP01 is in the mix, that would be my choice--its a '75 with a few more modern features and much more fun to shoot.

Kiln
January 15, 2013, 04:46 AM
The CZ75B has been the most accurate and reliable gun that I've ever owned...and I've owned my share of guns. It has alot going for it:

1. The slide to frame fit is extremely tight.

2. Accuracy is amazing. Even vs my both of my Springfield XDM's.

3. Reliability thus far has been perfect after several thousand rounds.

4. Ergonomics are perfect for my hands and are known to fit most hands similarly.

5. The heavy steel frame soaks up tons of recoil.

6. The trigger is excellent after a short break in period. It is good out of the box too.

There's a reason that CZ firearms are growing in popularity, it is because they work very well and are fairly priced.

They're worth what you'll pay and more. The Browning Hi Power is a slightly nicer gun but is much more expensive. I personally don't feel that the differences are worth the price difference, which is why I voted for the CZ.

Jed Carter
January 15, 2013, 05:52 AM
I would go with a CZ75B SA http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b-sa/

Pilot
January 15, 2013, 09:05 AM
Good points all. Yes also consider the updated versions of the CZ-75, the SP-01 Shadow, and P-01.

Tcruse
January 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
Voted CZ, mainly because of experience with Baby Desert Eagle 2. Very nice shooter. Now, if Glock 17 was on the list that would have been my choice. There just is no better SD/HD gun and accurate also. The striker design of the Glock is just better than an external hammer for 99.9% of the time.

History.Doc
January 15, 2013, 09:49 AM
I faced exactly this choice a few years ago. I closed my eyes and picked up each one. I ended up getting the CZ. I've never had a problem and the gun improves the more you shoot it.

SharpsDressedMan
January 15, 2013, 09:57 AM
You could eliminate the Beretta on the fact that the standard one has an aluminum alloy frame; steel framed ones are reare and expensive. To me, it is even Steven on the other two....they are both great guns. The CZ might be stronger and digest +P ammo longer.

tarosean
January 15, 2013, 10:01 AM
Here are my choices ( yeah plural)

tarosean
January 15, 2013, 10:03 AM
^ cannot get them both in the same post via my phone

jmr40
January 15, 2013, 10:05 AM
By the time you spend the money to get the CZ up to the BHP standards it will cost more and still have a crappy trigger and poor safety design.

bannockburn
January 15, 2013, 10:48 AM
1) Browning Hi-Power
2) CZ 75
3) Beretta Model 92

WaltherPPK
January 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
I have all three. I pick the BHP because it is a classic. CZ next because it is such a good gun and a great value. 92 third because, in my opinion, it is just not as special as the other two - but it does shoot great!

1 old 0311-1
January 15, 2013, 09:17 PM
I bought a P-01 and liked so much got another:D

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/kcq1/P1030078.jpg

targetshooter22
January 16, 2013, 12:12 AM
CZ75BD in my case. Very accurate, lots of fun to shoot. Good friend of mine has a Beretta 92F something. It's alright, but the CZ seems better. My CZ is more accurate, hands down.

Jim PHL
January 16, 2013, 09:46 AM
I voted BHP. I've shot the Beretta; handled the CZ, own a Hi-Power. Mine is a 1990 MkIII I got in excellent shape for $500. It's been 100% reliable and is probably my most accurate centerfire pistol. Looks great and feels great in the hand.
Definitely a winner if you will ever carry your next choice. I don't know if this makes sense, but for an all-steel, "full-size" hi-capacity pistol I always say the BHP "carries smaller" than it really is.

chriske
January 16, 2013, 10:54 AM
Personally I'm quite happy with the three 9mm's I currently own :
Browning HP, CZ 75 and SIG P-210.
I just regret ever having traded off my STAR BM.

g_one
January 16, 2013, 01:18 PM
Browning HP, CZ 75 and SIG P-210.
This. I'm not a fan of the 92, mostly ergonomics and reliability.
The SIG P210 is one of my favorite guns, but unfortunately they're a bit too expensive for my current budget. BHP is next on the list, which again is slightly too much for me currently. The CZ75, in my opinion, is the next best option for those of us who have the good taste to -want- a gun like the BHP or SIG p210, but can't afford one.

Paul7
January 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
I own the stainless version. Price of CZ's are very attractive.
I feel that they are one of the most underrated pistols out
There. Main reason because of not many people have heard
Of them. Unless you are in tune with our culture. If it's not
Colt or S&W a lot of folks don't have a clue, sad but true.
I also own the PO-7 Duty, nice polymer with a hammer, if
That's your desire. BTW the PO-7 has about 1500 Rds
Through it and no malfunctions. CZ's slide inside the frame
Thing (European) adds rigidity and accuracy.

Semper Fi
Your stainless version of the CZ seems to be $700-800, a BHP can be gotten for less than that.

jeff-10
January 16, 2013, 03:29 PM
I've owned 2 CZ-75Bs, 1 CZ-75 Compact in 9mm, a Browning High Power in 40S&W and a Beretta 92 Compact in 9mm.

The only one I still own is the Beretta. Had feeding issues with all CZs and the Browning. Never had a single problem with the Beretta.

schmeky
January 16, 2013, 05:35 PM
By the time you spend the money to get the CZ up to the BHP standards it will cost more and still have a crappy trigger and poor safety design

Are you serious with that statement?

Cajun Gun Works

C0untZer0
January 16, 2013, 05:38 PM
If you want iconic - I think the BHP is the most iconic,

Thompsoncustom
January 16, 2013, 06:26 PM
My vote goes to the CZ as they have a nice trigger out of the box and with just a little work can have a amazing trigger for the price they are a great gun. Tho any of the guns in your line up are good guns.

JMR40 just does his best to spread his CZ hate from some reason so pay no attention to him as he doesn't know what he's talking about.

meanmrmustard
January 16, 2013, 08:30 PM
By the time you spend the money to get the CZ up to the BHP standards it will cost more and still have a crappy trigger and poor safety design.
Foolish, sir.

Their triggers are fine, and are easily tuned...by shooting them.

If the CZ has a crappy design, give thanks to the BHP.

schmeky
January 17, 2013, 11:23 AM
I am still respectfully waiting for a response from JMR40 on his #24 post :)

Pilot
January 17, 2013, 11:58 AM
The BHP and CZ triggers have NOTHING in common. Actually their design has nothing in common beyond using the same Browning tilting, locking block recoil mechanism that most modern semi-auto pistols use.

aarondhgraham
January 17, 2013, 12:00 PM
When deciding on whether to get a CZ-75B or a Browning Hi-power,,,
Remember that the pistols have completely different action types.

The CZ-75B is a DA/SA pistol.

The Hi-Power is a SA pistol.

If you have a strong preference one way or the other,,,
This could be a determining factor for you.

Aarond

Furncliff
January 17, 2013, 01:28 PM
A used CZ 75b was my first cf handgun. I bought it knowing nothing about the pistol or the maker, but simply because it fit my hand so well. The HP is a fantastic pistol but my pinkie finger hung off the bottom of the grip and the one I tried had a way too strong recoil spring (arthritis).

The CZ is still my favorite 9, even though I shoot the 1911 frame better and I do have a 1911 9mm. I've added a Kadet .22LR conversion kit and the CZ has become even more popular with the ladies in the family, as well as new shooters.

Edit to add... the 75b comes in SA/DA as well as a target model that is SAO

Kiln
January 17, 2013, 02:23 PM
Don't mind JMR40.

He basically does a fly by and drops his mandatory "CZ is junk" comment in every CZ thread, then he goes away.

He's just doing it to stir people up. I've seen him claim all kinds of things about the CZ lineup. The fit, function, safety, internals, externals, magazines, etc are all junk according to him.

Frankly, he's full of crap. I've had multiple CZ pistols that I've shot plenty of rounds through and never had any issues.

I believe that there are CZ's with issues out there just like any other company, I just doubt that they're very common from the experience I've had with CZ pistols and the experiences that I've read from others.

wow6599
January 17, 2013, 02:31 PM
Your stainless version of the CZ seems to be $700-800, a BHP can be gotten for less than that.

I just got a polished SS CZ 75b from Bud's for $661. If you know where I can get a BHP Standard for that, please let me know.

Pilot
January 17, 2013, 03:12 PM
I just got a polished SS CZ 75b from Bud's for $661. If you know where I can get a BHP Standard for that, please let me know.

I think CDNN has or had them for $699, but I don't know if that is still the case. If you look, you can get used ones for around $500 or so in excellent shape, but you have to look, and be ready with cash.

greg531mi
January 17, 2013, 09:50 PM
I will still say, my Star Model 30, will last me, my son, and my grandchildren, a lifetime of shooting.....They were built like a brick, heavy, accurate, great trigger,
steel everything, and if you can find a used one, grab it!

redclay
January 31, 2013, 10:32 PM
I Love my CZ75b. Accurate, well balanced, fast target acquisition, mag changes are quick and painless, price was right. And never a hiccup.

tritonguy
January 31, 2013, 11:18 PM
I voted for CZ. My wife owns and shoots a Rami P, a 75compact in satin nickel and a 75 P01 in OD green. I regularly shoot them all too and love the fit and feel.

berkmberk1
January 31, 2013, 11:51 PM
I bought mine (a real Czech one) in Germany in 1982. I don't have any idea how many rounds have gone thru it since. I bought it after reading some articles by Jeff Cooper wrote about the 10mm when it was being developed. He had worked with CZs some then (they weren't normally importable back then.) He was impressed. I also liked the simple layout, like the .45 I trained on and was issued. Nothing new in handling to learn.

I've only had one "problem" in 30 years. Recently, the DA stopped functioning properly, but SA worked fine. Turned out it was was a small screw somewhere inside loosened up a spring. A smith tightened it up, and she cranks like new. It loves Hornady FMJ-FP, but runs anything and everything I feed it. 15 +1 is nice to have available.

Pilot
February 1, 2013, 06:07 AM
I bought mine (a real Czech one) in Germany in 1982.

All CZ firearms are still made in the Czech Republic. Well CZ Custom assembles a very small number of specialized target pistols in their shop, but all the parts are made in the Czech Republic. This is a very, very small number. My point is, all of the CZ's in the U.S. are " real Czech ones".

guyfromohio
February 1, 2013, 06:51 AM
Over time, i have owned 2 Hi Powers, an M9, a 92FS, and a CZ75B (.40).

Brownings: beautiful, nothing feels better in the hand.... Shoot like dog crap. Horrible triggers, stove pipes... Just horrible.

Berettas: Love my M9, sold my 92.

CZ 75: I sold it because I didn't want the 40, but I loved it. Get the CZ.

If you enjoyed reading about "One last 9mm CZ 75 / Beretta 92 / Browning Hi Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!