Winchester Std/ Mag primers. so which is it?

PDA

thomis
January 14, 2013, 11:32 PM
They say Standard or Magnum loads. that isn't clear to me, which charge to use for say, .357 mag or .44 mag? i don't understand how they are interchangeable. can someone explain?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Std/ Mag primers. so which is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 14, 2013, 11:41 PM
In most applications, with most brands of primers, Magnum primers are only necessary with ball powders.

Stick & flake type powders do not benefit from Magnum primers, and in some cases will present pressure & standard deviation (velocity differances between shots) problems that wouldn't be problems with standard primers.

Winchester is different, in that their WPL Lg pistol & WSR Small rifle primer is usable with either type powder.

rc

Otto
January 14, 2013, 11:49 PM
which charge to use for say, .357 mag or .44 mag? i don't understand how they are interchangeable. can someone explain?
357 mag take small pistol primers 44 mag take large pistol primers

thomis
January 15, 2013, 10:18 AM
"357 mag take small pistol primers 44 mag take large pistol primers "

jesus no wonder they didn't fit! no really...to clarify:

"Winchester is different, in that their WPL Lg pistol & WSR Small rifle primer is usable with either type powder."

so for the record, the Winchester Large Pistol Primers for Standard or Magnum loads can be used as a magnum primer with H110 mag loads AND as a standard primer with 2400 loads?

Its just hard for me to understand since I have always separated std and mag primers for these two powders.

MtnCreek
January 15, 2013, 10:24 AM
The Win LP Primers seem pretty hot. I've not used them for any H110 loads, but they give very low sd's in .45acp w/ HS6.

243winxb
January 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
They only make 1. WLP Rem. 2 1/2 only. Large Pistol.

mahansm
January 15, 2013, 12:48 PM
Winchester WLP will easily and reliably ignite 296/H110 in .44 Magnum loads. They also work just fine with 231 in .45 ACP.

However, if you're looking at 296 in a .357 Magnum and you want to use a Winchester primer, you should go with the WSPM, the small pistol magnum. Regular WSP fail to ignite 296 about 20% of the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Std/ Mag primers. so which is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!