Reloading .45LC with BP

PDA

craiso
January 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
Hello all,

I want to get schooled up on reloading my brass. What are the best books to get started with?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading .45LC with BP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 15, 2013, 12:25 AM
The best reloading books you can buy are The ABC's of Reloading for a good general overview.

And the Lyman #49 Reloading Manual for data and actual how to do it step by step.

But they have little if any black powder info in them.

Still, you need to read them both to get an understanding of reloading.
Once there?

This is a pretty good read on BP.

http://www.jspublications.net/tips/bploading.pdf

rc

Jim Watson
January 15, 2013, 12:28 AM
Did he edit the post title from .45 ACP to .45 LC as shown now?

Anyhoo, one good book is Shooting Sixguns of the Old West by Mike Venturino.
http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Sixguns-West-Mike-Venturino/dp/1879356872/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358227497&sr=1-3&keywords=mike+venturino

rcmodel
January 15, 2013, 12:32 AM
I guess so, yes.

I know I wrote a .45 ACP reply and posted it.

Then had to go back, delete it, and start over.

I thought it was me???
But I doubt both of us were Seeing .45 ACP at the same time!!

rc

boommer
January 15, 2013, 12:59 AM
Loading black in 45 LC is really easy fill the case 3-f so when you seat the bullet there is no air space and a little compression on the powder. Bullets must have lube that has no petroleum in it or the fouling in barrel will turn to tar must be bp lube.Primers standard. This will get you started you can tweak it from there.Black powder you need to fill the case so you have NO air space even with the fake stuff.

craiso
January 15, 2013, 01:30 AM
It always read .45LC ;).

I am looking at the Classic Lee Loader to start out with. I have been shooting cap and ball for some time now, so I know about lubes and the dangers of air between ball and powder. I want to get the best rounds I can instead of wasting time and money :).

Skinny 1950
January 15, 2013, 04:23 AM
With the Lee turret you will need a disc doubler kit for the powder dispenser to get that amount of powder, a better load is 24 grains 3F Goex with wads on top to fill the space and cast 230 grain round nose .452 boolits.

Driftwood Johnson
January 15, 2013, 07:37 AM
Howdy

I have been loading 45 Colt with Black Powder for a long time now in CAS.

The best books I have found for loading Black Powder into revolver cartridges are the books Shooting Colt Single Actions, Shooting Sixguns of the Old West, and Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West, all by Mike Venturino. Each of these books has a chapter specifically dedicated to loading Black Powder in the old cartridges such as 45 Colt, 44-40, 38-40, etc, as well as specific data for each cartridge.

http://www.mlventerprises.com/

It looks like the Colt book and the Sixguns book are currently our of print, but you can still find them on Amazon.

As has been stated, you do not want to leave any air space in a cartridge loaded with Black Powder. I strive for a compression of about 1/16" - 1/8" when the bullet has been seated. The actual amount of powder and the amount of compression will vary with the specific bullet being used, because they don't all protrude the same amount into the case when seated. Here is a little primer I wrote with some photos showing how to determine the proper amount of powder for any given bullet.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,18257.0.html

Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Lee dippers. That is the simplest way to load Black Powder into revolver cartridges. Don't even bother weighing Black Powder, because different brands weigh different amounts. Using volume measures like the Lee dippers works out the best. For what it's worth, I use a 2.2CC dipper, leveled off with a piece of card stock, for most 250 grain bullets in 45 Colt.

Bullet lube is a tricky subject. In general, the hard type of lube found on most bullets today is not compatible with Black Powder. Modern bullet lubes will cause a hard caked fouling in the bore that will be ruin accuracy and be difficult to clean out. A soft lube specifically formulated for Black Powder is best. I used to melt out the lube from standard bullets and pan lube them with a mixture of 50/50 beeswax/Crisco. Here is a tutorial on Pan Lubing.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=301.0

There are other alternatives, such as putting in lube cookies between the powder and the bullet, but these methods are tedious.

The easiest thing to do is to buy bullets already lubed with a BP compatible lube such as SPG. The best BP bullets of all are the Big Lube bullets that have a huge lube groove that carries enough lube to keep a rifle barrel lubed for its entire length. I cast my own Big Lube bullets and lube them with SPG. If you want to buy them, they are available from a few vendors. Here is one.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

As far as primers is concerned, all you need is standard primers, you do not need magnum primers. BP is easier to ignite than Smokeless. You will also read about drop tubes. These are useful for precision long range rifle ammunition, but are not necessary for most revolver rounds.

Just drop in the powder and seat the bullet so that it compresses the powder.

the Black Spot
January 15, 2013, 09:57 AM
What driftwood Johnson said.

I use 50/50 beeswax/olive oil and brass flask with a 25 gr volume spout to load bp in 44 special.

joecil
January 15, 2013, 11:22 AM
You can also buy SPG as well as other lubes for bullets and wads if you want to use them which I don't in my 45 Colt loads from Buffalo Arms. I sure would recommend using a double disk powder hopper either though it will work I guess since you load by volume not weight. As show in Driftwoods fine post which pretty much covers black powder. Oh and I prefer FFg black powders in my 45 Colts, 12 ga shot shells and 45-70 but FFFg works also.

Rom828
January 16, 2013, 07:59 PM
Goex says to use FFG in the 45 Colt. They have some limited cartridge load data on their site.

Driftwood Johnson
January 16, 2013, 09:18 PM
Howdy Again

I have used both FFg and FFFg in 45 Colt. It really does not matter. Traditionally, it was usually recommended to use FFFg in calibers smaller than 45 and FFg for 45 and larger. In practicality it does not matter much. You will achieve between 60-100 fps more velocity, all other things being equal, if FFFg is substituted for FFg, but other than a bit more velocity it does not really matter.

I know guys who have used FFg in 38 Special, despite the old standard. It works fine.

I used to use FFFg in 45 Colt and 44-40, and FFg in 12 gauge. But it got to be a pain stocking both granulations, so now I just use FFg in everything, 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Russian, 38-40, 45-70, and 12 gauge.

loose noose
January 19, 2013, 12:17 PM
I noticed no one mentioned when done shooting, place the empty brass in a solution of dish detergent and water and shake up the solution. It makes cleaning the brass a whole lot easier once ya get home.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading .45LC with BP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!