Most gun friendly state where there is no winter?

PDA

radiotom
January 15, 2013, 05:47 AM
As soon as the woman is done with her last semester in college, we are getting out of Michigan. We would like to plant near a big city so that there are lots of job choices, but there must not be winter. Palm trees and beaches are a plus. But this state must be very gun friendly with a high probability of that never changing.

Give me some help guys. We've got some ideas but I would like the hive-mind's opinion. Some of the people from Newyorkistan may also be interested in this right now... :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Most gun friendly state where there is no winter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
parsimonious_instead
January 15, 2013, 06:05 AM
From a calendar point of view, no part of the world is exempt from winter. In terms of temperatures, I would guess you'll probably avoid cold and snow by sticking with Texas, Florida, and the lower elevation parts of NM and AZ. Louisiana has a parish system, with (as I understand it) a patchwork of local gun ordinances. Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi might not be bad choices either, but you're still in for some wintry conditions.

Murcielago
January 15, 2013, 06:06 AM
One word for you: Arizona. Beaches a few hours away in San Diego or Rocky Point, Mexico.

Nasty
January 15, 2013, 06:48 AM
Closer to home...Southern Ohio. Good gun laws, great hunting and fishing, decent economy, low crime (see gun laws above), usually brief and mild winters. Folks up North consider us the orange belt. Cities of Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati offer employment, arts, real dining and tons of festivals. Multiple Universities as well.

AlexanderA
January 15, 2013, 06:48 AM
A moderate change of seasons has been shown to help longevity. Come to Virginia.

AirForceShooter
January 15, 2013, 07:10 AM
Realistically, you go where the money is.

Welcome to the real world.

AFS

Deus Machina
January 15, 2013, 07:12 AM
Florida has been good to me so far, as far as laws go.
The problem with no winter is that the rest of the year ranges between 85 degrees and spontaneous combustion, with humidity you can swim in--which certainly doesn't do blued steel any good.
I'd rather put on another jacket than feel sticky the second I set food outside.

sean326
January 15, 2013, 07:23 AM
I know you said no winter but PA is close, after a Michigan winter a PA winter is nothing. PA is a shall issue state, almost no gun laws and everything that's allowed under NFA is legla, full autos, suppressors, Grenade launchers and morters.
Even switchblades are legal till you cross a state line. Where I live I'm an hour to the beach, hour to the mountains and close enough to broadway to take the wife to a show and dinner and then get back to a free state in one evening.

Queen_of_Thunder
January 15, 2013, 08:15 AM
I think your best bet is Texas then AZ.

avs11054
January 15, 2013, 08:20 AM
AZ. The brady bunch gives us a 0. Although we are currently experiencing our longest cold front since 1988. There was ice on the ground in Phoenix yesterday.

Pilot
January 15, 2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah, PA is pretty awesome, especially considering where it is located in the midst of communist occupied territory. While there are sometimes harsh winters with some snow, it is oftne in the 40's in mid winter, but you will need a jacket or sometimes even a parka, but not often.

Let's work to see that the PA gun laws stay sane.

MADDOG
January 15, 2013, 08:26 AM
FYI it is snowing and the roads and bridges are iced up. Schools are closed until 10am and some business's are closed for the day. We usually have a couple of these days every winter. The rest of the year is rather nice. I am 30 miles west of Fort Worth Texas. I really like the "Texas Heat" and hope it returns soon. Good luck in your search.

radiotom
January 15, 2013, 08:31 AM
One place I keep coming back to is Houston. How does that sound?

Another thing....I really don't like the Texas 30.06 law. How common is it to see those signs?

tarosean
January 15, 2013, 08:43 AM
One place I keep coming back to is Houston. How does that sound?

Big city, less cold weather due to the proximity of the gulf... Cost of living is relatively low, lots of work. etc. etc. Fishing, Salt or Fresh. You can hunt any animal in the world in TX just depends on the size of your wallet.

Traffic Traffic Traffic
Some of the best restaurants in the US. No liquor sales on Sundays (Beer/wine after noon)

How common is it to see those signs?
Yeah they are around, I would say not that common as you can conduct your day to day routine without ever patronizing those places...

lemaymiami
January 15, 2013, 08:45 AM
As much as I hate to say it.... You can't beat Florida for weather and basic gun friendly type laws... The downside is that our population is growing and for a growing portion of our state... Spanish is not a second language.

Always jobs around the big cities (with all the plusses and minuses that come with living around big cities). Lots of real estate at bargain prices and, yes, there's hunting and fishing year 'round. The climate at the north end of the state is very similar to Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc -but at the southern end (only 500 miles south) we feel cold if the temps are below 70 in winter....

The eastern coast of Florida has many, many transplants from the northeastern US.... the west coast seems to attract folks from the midwest....

I came here in 1971, just planning on finishing college and moving on - I never left and spend most of my work days down in the Everglades running a small skiff.

morcey2
January 15, 2013, 08:55 AM
Utah. We have some of the best gun freedoms in the US.

And we have a short winter. :scrutiny: I won't call what we have right now "winter" because "winter" is usually warmer than this. :)

Arizona is good, but it's too hot for me. I can do -20 a lot better than 105, but that's just me.

Or you can live in St. George, UT and have the best of both worlds.

Matt

radiotom
January 15, 2013, 08:58 AM
EDIT: morcey answered my question in this post.

22-rimfire
January 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
No winter? None? There are places that seldom get snow in the south, but there is still a winter and some colder weather with minor exceptions. Draw a line E-W along the top of TN and anywhere south of there and east of CA. Most of the Red States have acceptable gun laws.

radiotom
January 15, 2013, 09:04 AM
This is funny. I suppose you should know that when Michiganders say "winter" we mean cold/frost/snow/ice.

50 degrees is winter for some of you guys. 50 degrees here is t-shirt weather. A cool summer day.

xman1337
January 15, 2013, 09:06 AM
Georgia is a pretty nice place. I moved here from Ohio to get away from the winter weather and I didn't intend to stay long but I've been here 7 years now and I'm probably going to be here a lot longer.

Winter is nothing like the winters up north. It's mostly in the 50's and 60's with some rain and wind. We'll get a span of a week here an there with freezing temperatures, mostly in December and January. But, we also get spans of unseasonably nice weather too. In fact this last sunday 1/13 I was hiking around a state park in shorts and a t-shirt. It snows maybe once a year. I'm talking 1/2 inch in the morning and everything is closed for the day. So far it hasn't snowed this year. Sunshine is the norm, unlike the months of overcast nastiness near the great lakes. Summer is HOT and HUMID.

Beaches are on the east coast or down to Florida, both about a 5 hour drive. Likewise, you can ski in N Carolina about 5-6 hours away. If you like hiking in the mountains and camping in the forest you're looking at 2-3 hours north of Atlanta. There are a million state parks all around the city. If you like biking, the silver comet trail runs from the Alabama border to somewhere just west of the city, over 40 miles.

Speaking of the city, Atlanta is a pretty good market for jobs and weekend activities. Small businesses are very plentiful and several large corporations are based here like Coke, CNN, Chic Filet. GM has a plant and there is major warehousing and transportation thanks to the rail and the port in Savannah. The housing market is pretty stagnant like the rest of the country, but new construction is starting to pick up. The tech industry is great. This is a right-to-work state. There's a very dense population in the metro area which causes major traffic problems during rush hours, so choose your location very wisely. There is a N/S and E/W light rail which is great, but the buses are not so great. There is pretty average Big City crime around Atlanta and especially south of I-20 but I've never felt unsafe. Detroit seemed worse when I was there.

Firearms laws are very friendly. No waiting period or registration or any of that nonsense. Carry permits are shall-issue and you can carry loaded in your vehicle without a permit. We are a castle doctrine state and have stand your ground laws. State law preempts local ordinances. Sometimes I see people open carry but you need a permit for that. Public ranges are plentiful, both indoor and outdoor, and some of the state run ones are free. Shooting sports are pretty plentiful too. IDPA, bullseye, carbine courses, trap and skeet etc.

Hope this helps. Wherever you decide to go be sure and visit for a week and check it out first.

LeonCarr
January 15, 2013, 09:10 AM
Most gun friendly state with no winter?

Somalia :).

In the United States, I like Texas first, with Arizona a close second.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

gym
January 15, 2013, 09:10 AM
Fl is the warmest, but some of the people are questionable, you just never know who your neighboor is going to be 6 months from now. It's a transient state, and when I owned the World Gym, I could show every year, at least 30% of the members would have moved from their current address, "I used to track people down who signed contracts and stopped paying".
I got pretty good at finding them in the 6 years I was there, about half the folks that move here in their 20-30's, leave after a year, They can't make money here. It's a service industry, and there are too many of everything.
During the hurricanes there was manual labor, but now, it's retired folks once you get out of the citys. Like where I live it's 80% retired or second homes.

xman1337
January 15, 2013, 09:13 AM
Cost of living calculators are great tools for planning a move. I'd check out several since they all have their weaknesses:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

radiotom
January 15, 2013, 09:14 AM
You see Florida seems like the obvious answer. But, while it is quite gun friendly now....with the impending demographics switch, how long is that going to last?

Not to mention they've gone blue the last 2 elections... :banghead:

22-rimfire
January 15, 2013, 09:25 AM
Compare population centers with plant hardiness map and you have your answer if in a Red State. http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

The only places that I am aware of with normally "no" winter is South FL and far South Texas. But Houston normally does not have a winter with rare snows only and occasional ice storms. However, I can't stand Houston and would not live there. The little winter places fall generally below a E-W line along the top of Louisiana. Even Dallas normally has some winter weather.

gunsandreligion
January 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
50 degrees is winter for some of you guys. 50 degrees here is t-shirt weather. A cool summer day. hey if its over 25 I snowboard in a t-shirt. Sorry guys, the advertisements of your beaches don't mean much to us michiganders. I live a half hour aways from whats rated #9 best beach in the world. Only reason it isn't #1 is no saltwater. ;)
In a serious note, I love Michigan, and I don't mind the winters myself, but I'm with the op on moving, I personally think our Gov. Is alright on guns, but not enough for one of those awesome laws against gun bans.

janedoedad
January 15, 2013, 10:05 AM
Georgia has pretty decent most of the year.

I would suggest somewhere south of Macon. Winter weather tends to be short term and we have a pretty good good gun laws.

goldie
January 15, 2013, 10:30 AM
What about north carolina, or eastern tennessee, or eastern kentucky ?

JohnBiltz
January 15, 2013, 01:48 PM
Here is the deal. Any place that is warm in the winter is really hot in the summer with the exception of somewhere like San Diego. Which is not gun friendly. I've lived in the south. By temperature its not bad in the winter but it is damp. That means it feels a lot colder than it is and goes through whatever you are wearing. Then in the summer its hot and humid. Go west. Most western states have 300 days of sunshine a year and low humidity. I presently live in Phoenix. That means its brutally hot in the summer with a couple of weeks of winter. The summer is our winter in that its the time when its unpleasant to live there, you don't want to go outside and you are glad to see it end. Generally, any place is going to have 3 or 4 months of where its tough to live there. The south in my opinion has about six months where it is bad weather. June through August its going to be plus 90 degrees and 90% humidity and November through February where its going to feel cold because of temperature and dampness.

CountryUgly
January 15, 2013, 01:57 PM
Can't believe I've seen no Mention of Alabama.... Great state... It's an OC state and a simple app to the county sheriff gets you a ccp as long as you're not a felon. The well educated has great job options in everything from military/defense to automotive. Great outdoor recreation across the state. Oh and did I mention it's been a while since the college football national title has left the state :-) It's seen one snow storm in the last decade (>6") in the northern half. Summers are HOT and Humid though wnters avg 50 degrees some are wet some are not. do have to watch out for the Twisters though.

Kristensdaddy
January 15, 2013, 02:18 PM
Only move south of Macon if you have no problem living with gnats.

Georgia has good gun freedoms, Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico easy to get to. Mountains, fishing, quail hunting, deer hunting, lots of gun clubs.

Carry permits easy to obtain, open carry (for those so inclined), car carry OK.

All in all a good place to live, especially when you consider I grew up in the cesspool called New Jersey.

doubleh
January 15, 2013, 02:33 PM
I saw southern New Mexico mentioned. I can assure you that it has winter.
I'm in the southeastern corner and it's 31 degrees right now (12:24 pm). We had a 6 degree night in December. I realise that is not terribly cold to you that live farther north but it is after you have lived here awhile.

On another note, 100+ temps are very common in the summer. This is the land where if you don't like the weather you just stick around because it will change in a day or two and at least half the time it gets worse, not better. Despite all that I don't intend to leave.
The gun laws are pretty good. On another note, if you like to fish, go somewhere else. Not many lakes and most of them are about dry. Wanna buy a nice boat?

22-rimfire
January 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
June through August its going to be plus 90 degrees and 90% humidity and November through February where its going to feel cold because of temperature and dampness.

Keep believing that. It isn't true until you get from about mid-GA latitude and south. But sometimes the humidity is high in the winter which makes it feel colder. But when it gets below 32 degrees, the humidity is about typical of anywhere <50% in my area.

JBrady555
January 15, 2013, 03:05 PM
you can come to panama city, fl. Panama City is a fairly large town with a small town feel. Plenty of beaches and decent gun laws. Our concealed carry permit holders just topped one million a few months ago. Do not confuse our part of the state with the more liberal south florida large cities littered with crime.

Sorry if I have offended some of my fellow Floridians from Miami or Orlando, but seriously, those places have issues.

gym
January 15, 2013, 03:15 PM
My wife and I are considering a move from Florida, as I mentioned I would like to stay as warm as possible, but will sacrifice some of my comfort for a State which has common sense rules,and solid people.
We are both semi retired but I would like to get something to keep busy a few days a week, She still works 3 days every other week in a high end Hair Salon as a colorist for 45 years, If anyone has some good suggestions as to a moderate priced area with good weather most of the year, and nice folks,"no axx murderers" please let me know. We are looking at Texas, but have no idea "never having been there" which part is best suited for us.
I am just sick of the FL mentality of Gypsy type life styles, that most folks other than "old" folks have here. As I mentioned having owner businesses in both NY and FL, I saw how transient Broward and Palm Beach are. Not like I grew up where you knew your neighboors and could leave the "key" with them.
I can honestlly say that maybe 2 people in the places I had a home, I would even consider allowing to enter my home when I was not there.
Now that is really sad. That's why i don't take vacations, I would never trust anyone more than overnight with my animals, or guns, not necessarily because they are "bad people", just irresponsible.
The old house I had 2 guys who still visit but here in Vero, they are too busy sueing each other, "no kidding". It's revolting, that there are more lawsuits in my development than anyone would believe. Were talking jury trials for 7 folks who called a man here a pedophile, "he didn't take it lightlly" and the case went on 3 years.
I just want a nice normal place where I can enjoy my grandkids and dogs, and shoot when I care to, without all this nonsense, the world is quicklly going to hell in a handbasket, I would like to be with like minded people, any input appreciated, open to Texas, Georgia, maybe someplace I missed, most anyware without snow or freezing temps. I was told by a friend who passed away about San Padre island, anyone familiar with it? thanks

22-rimfire
January 15, 2013, 03:26 PM
Gym, Tennessee or North GA are the two places I would consider. Both have lakes and real seasonal changes, but the winters are mild. Speaking as someone who does not live in FL, I still have flowers blooming on my front porch this winter. Usually all that is froze by Thanksgiving; not this year.

The North half of AL is nice too if you like hilly terrain, but no mountains. I prefer some mountains. And I just love to visit Smoky Mt National Park.

These are pretty good gun states if that matters to you and TN does not have a state income tax on individual earnings.

Isaac-1
January 15, 2013, 03:54 PM
To follow up on Louisiana, from a 2a point of view the state is good (we just passed a constitutional amendment saying so), as long as you stay out of New Orleans, they keep passing local gun control measures, and the state supreme court keep striking them down. Of course I don't see why anyone would ever go to New Orleans if they can help it, much less live there, murder capital on the U.S. for a city its size, etc. Carry of loaded guns in vehicles is legal for EVERYONE (except felons, etc.), CCW is shall issue if you don't mind the mandated 8 hour training course ever 5 years, fees work out to about $50-$75 per year (higher if you have not lived here for the last 15 years), open carry is technically legal, but sometimes frowned on. Overall I would call Louisiana about on par with Texas, just different, in Texas your not allowed to carry in your car without a permit (except under special conditions).

gbw
January 15, 2013, 07:36 PM
I did exactly the same thing after grad. school at UM 30 years ago. Any of the Gulf states will make you very happy indeed FL, AL, MS, LA, TX. I'd add Georgia and Tennesee (no beach). My personal favorites are AL & MS.

Go for it, don't look back.

justice06rr
January 15, 2013, 08:08 PM
I would suggest trying Florida. The about 75% state is surrounded by water so there's a beach within an hour of anywhere. No winters; the coldest we get on average is high 20's .

Gun laws are lax, and cost of living is low (housing, tax, etc). There's plenty of fishing and hunting too. Look at big cities like Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, and Tampa Bay.

I'm not being biased at all since I live in FL. I've actually wanted to move out of state for a while now. My top 2 choices California and NYC, well we all know the Draconian gun laws there. In comparison to those two places, Florida seems much a nicer place to live

KLL
January 15, 2013, 08:20 PM
Just know here in Florida the future is uncertain as the state can swing either way, and I expect it will continue to swing blue more and more. Right now we have a pretty good group between the Governor and the state reps, but that is no guarantee that is how it will stay. Personally, I believe Florida will turn into a CA or NY in the next 20 years, and Texas/Arizona/Wyoming etc. will be where Floridians head. Just keep in mind Florida may not be a permanent stop if you want to keep your rights.

Akita1
January 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
Florida. Thank you Jeb Bush - we respect NFA, hunt pigs at night, have one of the best stand your ground laws nationwide and we shoot early and often. Proper respect to those who have open carry laws, not here just yet…

On the downside, it's bit steamy in the summer.

radiotom
January 15, 2013, 08:32 PM
So how about Phoenix?

wankerjake
January 15, 2013, 08:35 PM
I much prefer Tucson to Phoenix, but they both fit your request I think.

JBrady555
January 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
I saw alot of suggestions for georgia. the only problem i see with that is that dang state tax. It kills my paycheck when I work up there.

RustyHammer
January 15, 2013, 09:52 PM
Sportsman Paradise!

The Lone Haranguer
January 15, 2013, 10:03 PM
Arizona around Phoenix would seem to be the best combination of warm winters (it will still get down around freezing a few days a year), large cities and 2A freedom.

Dean1818
January 15, 2013, 10:23 PM
Texas is awesome........

jeeperjohn
January 15, 2013, 10:45 PM
Arizona is for me. But I would not be too fast in overlooking Texas.

browningguy
January 15, 2013, 11:15 PM
I would say Houston, major city with very low unemployment, very low prices on housing, although it's really cold this week (down in the 30's) it should be back in the 60's and 70's next week.

Dallas is similar, but colder in the winter, hotter in the summer, and prices aren't as good.

Impureclient
January 15, 2013, 11:51 PM
There is nothing in Florida that I miss when I leave here....nothing. The climate(unbearable heat), the crime(getting worse everywhere), the ticket police(small towns extra "taxes"), the very elderly who still drive, the landscape(or lack of), the unfriendly demeanor of people, the crummy architecture, etc.....it all just is nothing to enjoy unless you like beaches. There are some nice beaches. That wears off in a couple years. It would be a nice place to visit during the Summer and not move to.

I always dread coming back home when I leave. As soon as my son graduates school, I'm out of here. See you later FL, you stinking hot box of slow boring death.

Alaska444
January 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
I grew up in Alaska so the winters here in Northern Idaho seem like summer to me.:neener:

Okiegunner
January 16, 2013, 12:06 AM
The summers have 4-6 weeks that are damn near unbearable hot. The winters are "fairly" mild. A couple of weeks of freezing rain/ice.

However, the gun laws in Oklahoma are 2nd amendment friendly. Oklahoma has a state holiday (2nd Amendment Day, every June 28) honoring the right of citizens to bear arms. Oklahoma has "open" carry. Housing is cheap and the people are friendly. Some of the gun ranges have "fully" automatic lanes. No ones blinks or thinks twice if you walk in with an AR or AK.

Our one (1) Democratic congressman is and has been very pro 2nd Amendment (hard to believe, yet true)

Firearmwise there are a "few" but not many states better to reside in.

Water-Man
January 16, 2013, 12:15 AM
South Florida meets all your criteria. Gun friendly, no winter, palm trees and beaches.

Halal Pork
January 16, 2013, 12:56 AM
There is nothing in Florida that I miss when I leave here....nothing. ...the crime(getting worse everywhere)...

I was a Florida resident for quite a while. I considered looking for a job back there. Then, I'd head down and visit some relatives. That would snap me back to reality. In my mind, I was imagining Florida 20 years ago. Going there, I'd see all these towns doubled in size in spite of a poor to non-existent economy, crime everywhere, decent neighborhoods become very rough. I don't imagine I'll ever be very tempted to move back there.

To the OP, I'd consider Texas. Since I'm not a Texan, I am allowed to say the place is not heaven on earth. However, their laws are respectful of the rights of their residents (relative to other states), there is no state income tax, the economy is growing. On the other hand, check property taxes in different places because it can be a tad bit high depending on where you find yourself.

2zulu1
January 16, 2013, 01:05 AM
I retired to a high desert valley in Southern Arizona, pristine air to breathe, my own well to drink from, no mosquitoes and no allergies. Lots of public lands nearby to recreate on without the crowds.

If I were to move to the city I'd pick Tucson over Phoenix, very laid back by comparison.

I've been spoiled by sunshine, blue skies and world class scenery, never get tired of visiting the Grand Canyon or mountains. Lake Powell is a blast and also a great place to fish.

sonick808
January 16, 2013, 05:23 AM
AZ. We don't even limit switchblades, knife carry, any of that dumb crap.

You don't need your CCW, but if you get it, you can avoid the NICS check each time your purchase.

Gun lovers, come to AZ. Gun-haters, stay the hell away, you wouldn't like seeing people packing everywhere you go.

EDIT: we have one dumb weapon law: Nunchaku are illegal. how is that for weird ?

Deus Machina
January 16, 2013, 05:30 AM
Looking back through this... I'll trade places with you once I'm done with college. Only one reason I miss Illinois.
Winters can be nice in Florida (for a day, then they snap one direction or another), but the sauna at the local pool is just a room with some rocks in the window.

radiotom
January 16, 2013, 05:39 AM
Is Utah the only one that doesn't have gun free zones?

tarosean
January 16, 2013, 05:41 AM
AZ.We don't even limit switchblades, knife carry, any of that dumb crap.

FWIW to those paying attention Texas does have lots of knife laws..

No State Income Tax thou

Alaska444
January 16, 2013, 05:51 AM
Is Utah the only one that doesn't have gun free zones?
Actually not even Utah falls into that category since they deny CCW in places of worship at the request of the Mormons.

radiotom
January 16, 2013, 05:55 AM
Actually not even Utah falls into that category since they deny CCW in places of worship at the request of the Mormons.
Yes but that doesn't apply to me. :D

My understanding is it is just Mormon temples, right?
Another thing, are there any states where your employer isn't allowed to tell you that you CANNOT carry your gun at work?

joed
January 16, 2013, 05:56 AM
Southern Ohio??? I live in the northern half of the state and wouldn't even consider Ohio to be gun friendly. You're 6 degrees warmer then Cleveland at 31 this morning, guess you can leave the jacket behind. I'll give you that the economy is better there though.

I'm not trying to put Southern Ohio down as I like it and wouldn't mind living there but you have to be realistic. I can't figure out the Southern Ohio mentality that those that do live there think they're in the tropics.

The problem with the Northern half of the state is Lake Erie becomes a refrigerator from January to April. But, that lake holds heat in the fall reversing the cold effect. But the economy is bad in the North.

The most gun friendly state I lived in was FL. And the weather was warm too. But the sourthern half of the state is like Cuba. The NW part is like Tobacco Road. Jobs come with 2 things, low pay and an excuse of why they can't pay you what you're worth. After living in FL a life lesson I learned if you are working age is never live anywhere that has lots of retired people. The problem is they are getting decent money but get bored. To get a job they can afford to work for half price. Keep that in mind while looking.

Halal Pork
January 16, 2013, 06:33 AM
Somewhere your perceptions are being skewed.Floridas crime has been almost continuously dropping. In 1960 ,the state had 5 million people and 527 murders. In 2011 ,19 million people and 984 murders.

4 times the population and murder did not even double.

See this article (http://www.thecrimereport.org/viewpoints/2012-07-whats-driving-floridas-crime-decline) for more proof.

I thought you must be full of it so I checked out some statistics available at the FDLE website (http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/FSAC/Data---Statistics-(1)/UCR-Offense-Data/County-Profiles.aspx#). Sure enough, their numbers support your points. I'd have bet you money you were wrong. I guess it is just my perception regarding the situation there.

meanmrmustard
January 16, 2013, 07:04 AM
Realistically, you go where the money is.

Welcome to the real world.

AFS
There ain't a whole lot of it.

Hi, Real World!

REDMASTA
January 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
Georgia is a pretty nice place. I moved here from Ohio to get away from the winter weather and I didn't intend to stay long but I've been here 7 years now and I'm probably going to be here a lot longer.

Winter is nothing like the winters up north. It's mostly in the 50's and 60's with some rain and wind. We'll get a span of a week here an there with freezing temperatures, mostly in December and January. But, we also get spans of unseasonably nice weather too. In fact this last sunday 1/13 I was hiking around a state park in shorts and a t-shirt. It snows maybe once a year. I'm talking 1/2 inch in the morning and everything is closed for the day. So far it hasn't snowed this year. Sunshine is the norm, unlike the months of overcast nastiness near the great lakes. Summer is HOT and HUMID.

Beaches are on the east coast or down to Florida, both about a 5 hour drive. Likewise, you can ski in N Carolina about 5-6 hours away. If you like hiking in the mountains and camping in the forest you're looking at 2-3 hours north of Atlanta. There are a million state parks all around the city. If you like biking, the silver comet trail runs from the Alabama border to somewhere just west of the city, over 40 miles.

Speaking of the city, Atlanta is a pretty good market for jobs and weekend activities. Small businesses are very plentiful and several large corporations are based here like Coke, CNN, Chic Filet. GM has a plant and there is major warehousing and transportation thanks to the rail and the port in Savannah. The housing market is pretty stagnant like the rest of the country, but new construction is starting to pick up. The tech industry is great. This is a right-to-work state. There's a very dense population in the metro area which causes major traffic problems during rush hours, so choose your location very wisely. There is a N/S and E/W light rail which is great, but the buses are not so great. There is pretty average Big City crime around Atlanta and especially south of I-20 but I've never felt unsafe. Detroit seemed worse when I was there.

Firearms laws are very friendly. No waiting period or registration or any of that nonsense. Carry permits are shall-issue and you can carry loaded in your vehicle without a permit. We are a castle doctrine state and have stand your ground laws. State law preempts local ordinances. Sometimes I see people open carry but you need a permit for that. Public ranges are plentiful, both indoor and outdoor, and some of the state run ones are free. Shooting sports are pretty plentiful too. IDPA, bullseye, carbine courses, trap and skeet etc.

Hope this helps. Wherever you decide to go be sure and visit for a week and check it out first.

Great post, as much as I sometimes complain about living in Georgia (Atlanta) there really aren't many other places I would rather be when it comes down to it. You listed a lot of the reasons I've stayed here for so long.

JBrady555
January 16, 2013, 06:40 PM
There is nothing in Florida that I miss when I leave here....nothing. The climate(unbearable heat), the crime(getting worse everywhere), the ticket police(small towns extra "taxes"), the very elderly who still drive, the landscape(or lack of), the unfriendly demeanor of people, the crummy architecture, etc.....it all just is nothing to enjoy unless you like beaches. There are some nice beaches. That wears off in a couple years. It would be a nice place to visit during the Summer and not move to.

I always dread coming back home when I leave. As soon as my son graduates school, I'm out of here. See you later FL, you stinking hot box of slow boring death.
you must live in one of the south florida big cities. Northwest FL isn't near as bad as your making the state out to be. The beaches are our scenery, if you need mountains or hills move north.

radiotom
January 26, 2013, 09:06 AM
So when a business in Arizona posts a no gun sign, does that carry the weight of law?

double bogey
January 26, 2013, 12:25 PM
Texas. Short list of pros and cons. 8.25% sales tax in most places and no state income tax. 3 major metropolitan areas. Business friendly with an ok economy now. Mostly private property. You can get used to the heat by spending a lot of time outdoors from march until it gets hot. Not a problem for me as I am a hvac guy. Also like Alabama, but when I go there to visit cousins and hunt, I freeze when it isn't any colder than at home. Must be humidity.

AJumbo
January 26, 2013, 05:11 PM
Radiotom- yes, it does. It is private property, after all. They have to right to prohibit whatever they like, and I have the right to do business elsewhere. Suits me just fine.

I wish AZ's tax structure was more akin to that of FL, but I can't leave AZ at this time. Note also that the Tucson area is more than full of Lib moonbats.

Insofar as the climate..... yeah, the great Sonoran Desert doesn't get much of a winter, but summer lasts about five months and can get absolutely brutal for about two of those. Visit before you sign a lease!

gazpacho
January 26, 2013, 05:39 PM
In 1998 I was pretty much making the same decision that you are today. I had it narrowed down to Houston and Phoenix. After a few job interviews in Phoenix, I decided to make a quick stop in Vegas.

One afternoon, I was sitting in a mall, enjoying some Starbucks hot chocolate. I looked up and noticed a "cowboy". He was walking through the mall, minding his own business, with a lit cigar in one hand, an open beer in the other, and a six gun strapped to his side.

I knew then that I had to move to Vegas.

Things aren't perfect, 2A wise. Clark county has handgun registration. But Nevada is a shall issue state, and is NFA friendly. Government buildings and schools are gun free zones. Other places have to ask you to leave before you can get sited for trespassing.

We have a good number of gun stores, a great shooting park, several indoor and outdoor ranges, and of course, shooting in the desert. Shot Show is easy to get into.

Vegas is typically 5 degrees cooler than Phoenix, year round. Summer lasts from April to October. None of the flying bugs bite, unless you are up in the mountains. We do have spiders and scorpions, but they are easy to avoid. We don't have Meijer's Thrifty Acres, or anything comparable to it. If you ever want snow in the winter, Mount Charleston is about an hour drive. There are ski areas and sledding areas.

sonick808
January 26, 2013, 05:58 PM
Phoenix area. Skiing and pine trees and snow 2 hours north. Desert majesty in your back yard. All the big Cali spots 6 hours west. Las Vegas 6 hours North.

Summer is hot, but not drenching in humidity. Winter is a constant 73/55 degrees.

Here is the sum total of our gun laws: YES, you may.

sonick808
January 26, 2013, 06:03 PM
FWIW to those paying attention Texas does have lots of knife laws..

Thanks for noting that tarosean; The knife laws state to state are FAR murkier than any gun laws tend to be! This type, not that. This with that length. None of those on a Tuesday. Yes, but in your home only. None those unless crafted by a hobbit. The knife laws around the US are horrible. AZ definitely keeps it simple. Yes, you can own it. Yes, you can carry it.

I still stumble over the AZ nunchaku law, talk about a far left turn

Wyndage
January 26, 2013, 06:16 PM
Based on your criteria (warm and gun-friendly), I'd go with Texas, Florida, and Tennessee in no particular order.

All of these states are pro-gun. Florida and Tennessee have two of the best carry permits in terms of reciprocity. Tennessee allows open carry.

None of these states have an income tax.

Insurance (both home and auto) can be expensive in Florida.

Tennessee has stupid alcohol laws, though they're getting better.

The humidity in Florida and Tennessee is worse than in Texas (unless you're talking about Houston, which can be pretty bad). Tennessee can still get pretty cold in the winter, though it doesn't snow much unless you're at high elevations.

I moved out of Georgia due to state income tax and ad valorem tax. However, if cost of living isn't a big issues for you, then most of the above applies to Georgia as well (pro-gun and usually pretty warm). The northeast of the state is the only part that I find beautiful. It is a much easier process to get a carry permit in Georgia than Tennessee or Florida, but the reciprocity isn't as good.

So yeah, Texas, Florida, or Tennessee, and then maybe Georgia, but I'd probably go west first.

radiotom
January 26, 2013, 06:41 PM
Radiotom- yes, it does. It is private property, after all. They have to right to prohibit whatever they like, and I have the right to do business elsewhere. Suits me just fine.

I wish AZ's tax structure was more akin to that of FL, but I can't leave AZ at this time. Note also that the Tucson area is more than full of Lib moonbats.

Insofar as the climate..... yeah, the great Sonoran Desert doesn't get much of a winter, but summer lasts about five months and can get absolutely brutal for about two of those. Visit before you sign a lease!
What happens if you don't see the sign? Are you still in trouble?

hueyville
January 26, 2013, 06:55 PM
Georgia is very gun friendly and even now there are still plenty of jobs in the Atlanta area. From ATL you are 4 hours from Georgia beaches without crossing a state line or 6.5 hours from the Gulf of Mexico. If you want just a taste of winter move to NE GA to the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. If you want to probably never see any frozen precipitation of any type just move to the south side of the city. Of course I am biased. You can still put a gun rack in the back window of your pickup with an AR-15 without being hassled although it would be a high profile target for a smash and grab at any mall parking lot. Carry permits easy to obtain, can carry in State Parks or on State property unless otherwise posted. Walk in the gun store, before your done at the register all the paperwork is through the system. With a Concealed Permit it is an instant purchase. Carry own your personal property, work property or in vehicle is protected. No permit at all to carry concealed on your own property and open carry is legal except public property that is posted as such. Many hospitals, malls, etc post no carry signs. Basically unless there is an obvious sign that says you can't, your good to go.

4v50 Gary
January 27, 2013, 02:03 AM
Arizona is gun friendly, but they get snow there too. So does New Mexico.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most gun friendly state where there is no winter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!