wanted: .22lr plinking rifle

PDA

Dunkelheit
January 15, 2013, 11:47 AM
Which rifle would you recommend to meet the following specifications?

.22lr bolt action
5+ round clip
good accuracy
made in USA or west Europe
around $500

If you enjoyed reading about "wanted: .22lr plinking rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cat_IT_guy
January 15, 2013, 11:52 AM
I dont have one, but the CZ 452 and 455 seem to get rave reviews and are great looking rimfires to boot.

EDIT: sorry, missed the 5+ rounds part the first time around. Not sure offhand if CZ would meet that requirement.

Captcurt
January 15, 2013, 02:47 PM
My CZ 452 has 5 round mag and shoots better than I can hold it. I have had 3 CZ rimfires, a 17 mach ll, 22 mag and a 22lr and all of them shot great. Savage and Marlin's do well but CZ has them beat on looks and finish. Quality all the way.

sixgunner455
January 15, 2013, 04:33 PM
CZ 452, 453, trainer, etc. Savage has several very good models in that range, and excellent triggers. The TR and the BV are very nice.

TurtlePhish
January 15, 2013, 04:44 PM
Sounds like you're describing a CZ almost exactly.

Avenger29
January 15, 2013, 05:04 PM
CZ 452 is the best choice.

I absolutely love mine. 5 and 10 round mags available, excellent design, excellent control placement, excellent accuracy, beautiful iron sights, and a smooth action that feels like a centerfire rifle...the Marlin and Savage offerings while solid rifles in their own right feel like cheesy cheap rifles.

mr.t7024
January 15, 2013, 05:10 PM
I am genuinely pleased with my Savage Mark II.:) Cliff

ROAshooter
January 15, 2013, 05:20 PM
after buying my first Cz 452FS....I sold off my Ruger 77/22 to buy more CZs

John828
January 15, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hands down -- CZ 455 (or 452 if you want a used one). Excellent fit and finish, incredibly accurate, 5- and 10-round magazines available and under $500.

Picher
January 15, 2013, 06:30 PM
My 455 is great, but I love my accurized Rem 504 more.

Gunnerboy
January 15, 2013, 06:35 PM
Just picked up a brand new cz513 best most accurate bolt action 22 i have owned! 5shots in the size of a quarter at 40yds with CCI blazer, and they make a 10rnd magazine.

PO2Hammer
January 15, 2013, 06:36 PM
I guess the Czech Republic would be considered eastern Europe, but you can't beat their rifles for the money.
I have two, the 452 Scout in .22lr and the 452 Lux in .22 WMR. Both are all steel and wood. No plastic sights, no plastic trigger guards.

The Lux's, Ultra Lux's and the Trainers have the superb tangent sights that allow you to quickly adjust for range.

The Scout has basic sights, but they are tough as nails and well designed.

Hotshot10
January 15, 2013, 06:40 PM
CZ for sure. There are 10-round magazines available. I have one for my 452.

browneu
January 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
CZ accurate great iron sights.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

ShooterGuy
January 15, 2013, 06:52 PM
Personally I've been very pleased with my Marlin 795, I call it my "walmart special" since its great accuracy for a almost just a 5th of what you're wanting to spend. Even though its a semi, plinking is a blast with it and the accuracy will surprise you even with a cheap scope. So ya, +1 Marlin

juk
January 15, 2013, 06:54 PM
I've got a CZ 452 trainer in 22LR that I will not part with. The sights are just about the best you can get on a factory rifle for the price. The gun is amazingly accurate with anything from Wolf to bulk ammo. I can't describe how fun it is to work the bolt on the Mini-Mauser action. It's just a nice over-all package. Several CZ rimfires come with amazing wood stocks too. Mine just has the basic beech stock. I use this as my small game gun, so I won't feel bad about scratches and dents near as much. My rifle came with a single 5 rd mag. I know that they also make and sell a 10 rd mag as well.

Cee Zee
January 15, 2013, 07:15 PM
I like the CZ 453 much better myself. They cost right at $500. They have a more adjustable trigger and it's a set trigger. I don't like the 452 triggers at all. I've seen them with the so called trigger jobs done on them and they still were nothing like a 453.

Savage makes some very good rifles too. My Savage MkIIBTV is actually more accurate than my CZ and it's made in Canada by a US company. BTW the CZ's are made in east Europe. You said you wanted west Europe.

Deltaboy
January 15, 2013, 07:36 PM
Any Remington 500 series rifle.

NeuseRvrRat
January 15, 2013, 07:40 PM
i saw a CZ 455 the other day for $375. that leaves money for some glass.

Furncliff
January 15, 2013, 07:46 PM
Shooting rim fire is what I do most of. I have two CZ 452's and two Brno's (another Czech company that was absorbed into CZ in the 70's). Along with a Savage 29 they are exquisitely accurate and well made. You would have to spend a lot more to get a better rifle. I have adjusted the triggers on the two CZ 452's, it's easily done and I'm very pleased with the outcome.

I don't know too many folks who one just one. Here's one of mine.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/7985815126_a41a38e3d1.jpg
CZ452 Ultra Lux with Brno Standard Target Sights.

Since you are in Germany I would recommend that you look for a Brno too. I think you may have a good chance finding one there. They are excellent. Good Luck.

Check out this site....rimfirecentral.com

wgaynor
January 15, 2013, 09:42 PM
I like the Marlin XT22. Cheap. Extremely Accurate. Made in Mayfield Kentucky. 7 round mag. Bolt-action.

megaton
January 15, 2013, 09:53 PM
I am genuinely pleased with my Savage Mark II.:) Cliff
Ill second that, my savage is a shooter.

StrutStopper
January 15, 2013, 10:12 PM
I was looking for something similar. I ended up buying a CZ 455 American. I'm ordering a scope this week, going with a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40.

LS240
January 16, 2013, 12:23 AM
Buy a basic Savage Mark II and spend the rest on ammo. :)

Brockak47
January 16, 2013, 01:21 AM
Savage or CZ really. Though Marlins are extremely accurate out of the box so that's an option too

Cee Zee
January 16, 2013, 05:28 AM
Buy a basic Savage Mark II and spend the rest on ammo.

That's not a bad choice but I believe I'd buy a Marlin XT-TR instead. Having the ability to load 25 shorts in a bolt action rifle with a tube mag is no bad thing. A person can nail a lot of vermin with a load of rounds like that before they need to reload. They're very solid rifles and accurate too. At least mine is. If I need to make war on a rat infestation for whatever reason I'll be ready. I've never had a rat problem anywhere I've lived but there's always a first time. My neighbor stored a bunch of grain for his cattle in an outbuilding about 20 yards from my outbuilding and I had a few rats move in under my building but my cats cleared those out in short order. Well all but the one they brought into the house to show me. I had to kill that one. :eek: :(

Swampman
January 16, 2013, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Dunkelheit
Which rifle would you recommend to meet the following specifications?

.22lr bolt action
5+ round clip
good accuracy
made in USA or west Europe
around $500

Originally posted by LS240
Buy a basic Savage Mark II and spend the rest on ammo.
Excellent advice! But if you're truly set on your stated parameters...

As you can easily see from the attached map, none of the aforementioned rifles actually meet your criteria. They are either not made in Western Europe/US, or they are too darned inexpensive.

Although it would involve a great deal of trouble and heartache on my part, I'll gladly make the sacrifice and sell you my Savage MK II FVSR Bolt Action for $500, (I paid $269 for it)[ B]IF[/B] you'll agree to be responsible for all of the paperwork as well as paying all of the associated export and import fees, shipping, taxes, duties and bribes etc....

Xenophobia and price aside, if you're just looking for a plinker, any of the weapons mentioned in the above posts should be excellent choices.

But if you're really set on paying $500, please feel free to send me a PM. :evil:

I don't own a CZ .22, but I have fired several and my cheapo Savage proved more accurate than any of them off the bench. With that said, if I could afford it, I'd probably go with one of the CZ's. They have a much better "feel" to them than the Savage and I feel like I'd shoot better with them under hunting/field conditions.

I have no idea what the market is like over there, but if you can pick up a Winchester model 52 at a reasonable price, I don't think that you'd ever regret the purchase.

Dunkelheit
January 16, 2013, 03:45 PM
There are alot great suggestions in this thread, thank you very much. I think iŽll keep an eye on the Savage MkII and add a Nikon scope.

The only Winchester 52 i could find was sold for $1300 :eek:

targetshooter22
January 16, 2013, 05:32 PM
+1 for CZ 45x series bolt rifle. My Lux is my favorite gun, period. That said, a good friend with the Savage target 22 with the fancy laminate stock and heavy barrel and accutrigger can go toe to toe with the CZ off sandbags. Here the Savage is about $100 less than the CZ, but your local prices and preferences may vary.

Good luck, and happy shopping!

Cee Zee
January 17, 2013, 06:33 PM
Those are excellent choices that should give you great accuracy and keep you under budget Dunkelheist. I would suggest sticking with a varmint barreled MkII because they are a little more accurate frmm what I see people saying in these forums.

If you enjoyed reading about "wanted: .22lr plinking rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!