Best turkey choke for mossy 835 ulti

PDA

ironworkerwill
January 15, 2013, 12:32 PM
I have a 835 I bought used and it has a modified tube installed. I am going to purchase a new choke and I was wanting some perspective on brands. Who has gotten good results with his/her turkey choke tubes. If y'all can, I also need some input on store bought loads that have done you well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best turkey choke for mossy 835 ulti" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 15, 2013, 01:30 PM
I have no experiance with that gun.

But you might give Carlsons a try.
They have good prices on tubes, and they will do what they say they will do.

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-product-details.php?Mossberg 835-Choke-Tubes&mf=15

rc

Virginian
January 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
Chrome plating, slots and/or holes, a really killer snazzy name, and a fat price tag will not put more pellets in the pattern. It will put more dollars in the makers pockets. I think your barrel is backbored/overbored so I would check on that first, and then make sure you get an appropriate tube. Keep in mind that "Full" killed a whole lot of turkeys before the others were ever dreamed of.

ironworkerwill
January 15, 2013, 02:39 PM
I killed my first turkey as a boy with my uncle's western Auto "Revelations" 12ga(looked a lot like a mossberg 500). I don't really care about spit shine or terminology and I do know the barrel is backbored out to about 10ga. I just want a good 4 or 5 pellets in the kill zone at 45 yds.

oneounceload
January 15, 2013, 04:02 PM
Look here:

http://www.briley.com/mossbergulti-maghuntingchokes.aspx

natman
January 16, 2013, 11:00 AM
Post your question here:

www.oldgobbler.com

and you'll find some guys who actually have 835s and have tried various chokes.

Yes, the 835 is overbored and it takes Mossberg Accu-Mag chokes.

Deer_Freak
January 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
I really doubt that turkey chokes do any better than plain full chokes. It is simple physics, if you constrict a barrel to much any improvement in the pattern is negated by shot deformation. Turkey chokes supposedly constrict the barrel so much the shot forms a string instead of a pattern, that has to deform a lot of shot.

natman
January 16, 2013, 11:42 AM
I really doubt that turkey chokes do any better than plain full chokes. It is simple physics, if you constrict a barrel to much any improvement in the pattern is negated by shot deformation. Turkey chokes supposedly constrict the barrel so much the shot forms a string instead of a pattern, that has to deform a lot of shot.

This is partly right, there is indeed a point of diminishing returns where too much constriction causes deformation and blown patterns.

However, there is a fair amount of room between that point and full choke where turkey chokes work very well and produce tighter patterns than full.

You don't have to buy a "chrome plated" $90 designer turkey choke, but if all you have is a modified choke and are going to buy a new choke anyway for turkey hunting, there are plenty of good turkey chokes that will give you much better patterns for not much more money than a full.

ironworkerwill
January 16, 2013, 11:42 AM
Yea, deer freak, I had an Ultimag a few years back that had a wally world special choke that I thought was over constrictive. It didn't shoot any better than the modified 870 I had. I think it was around .675 and I cant remember the name. I just wanted to get some first hand info on some tubes people liked.

oneounceload
January 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
This is partly right, there is indeed a point of diminishing returns where too much constriction causes deformation and blown patterns.

However, there is a fair amount of room between that point and full choke where turkey chokes work very well and produce tighter patterns than full.

And a lot of that will be determined by the ammo itself - chilled lead, hard lead, nickel or copper plated, steel, no-tox, etc.....

The pattern plate is your friend

If you enjoyed reading about "Best turkey choke for mossy 835 ulti" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!