Steel challenge

PDA

N1YDP
January 15, 2013, 07:59 PM
i wnat to try steel challenge ths year,what would be a good caliber? i have a glock 20 10mm plus a 9x25 and 357 sig barrels for it,and i reload for all three

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel challenge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hagen442
January 15, 2013, 08:13 PM
Suggest Checking Out
Steel Challange Shooting Association
Web Site Should Cover Your Questions

gotigers
January 16, 2013, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't use any of those at a steel challenge. If you have a 22, start with it. See how it goes, then go from there. 22 is most popular, next is 9mm. 40 and 45 are next. I don't see any cartridges like that.

IdahoSkies
January 16, 2013, 09:25 PM
If you want to run what you have, I would try shoot light 10mm load. But any of them in a light load should work. Steel challange is about hitting static steel targets and transition from target to target as fast as you can. A gun light in the hand that you can recovery quickly with is ideal, that is generally why a .22 is often the gate way round. But use what you got, they wont turn you away.

Japle
January 17, 2013, 04:18 PM
I'd use the .357 SIG, if only because it'll be much easier to pick your brass out of all the 9mm stuff on the ground.

Use the lightest load that will run your gun 100%.

You'll have fun. :D

Deer_Freak
January 17, 2013, 10:49 PM
I would go to a couple matches and observe. I would see what everyone else is shooting. Many of the rules are interpreted differently by different SO's. They have selected those guns to get a fair ruling anywhere they go. Only at the sanctioned matches will you see the rules applied as they are written. I went to VA to shoot a steel challenge match. I did not fire a shot. The range I went to will not let you shoot with your polycarbonate prescription glasses nor will they let you use your own safety glasses that will fit over your prescription glasses. Despite the fact that my prescription glasses and my safety glasses are ANSII approved.

If you attend an IDPA match you will notice that almost everyone shoots glocks or XD's. If you shoot a CZ, Ruger or a Beretta you might get a fair interpretation, you might not.

Here is a link for those who will say prove it. http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/8877/Mechanical-Condition-of-Readiness-second-try#.UMxiam_Afhh

mgmorden
January 18, 2013, 10:44 PM
Truthfully, while you'll be able to shoot those in Steel Challenge, there are really only 2 major rounds fired in Steel matches: .22LR and 9x19mm. .38 Special for the revolver guys too but there aren't many of them.

Other than that the lack of power-factor means shooting small, light bullets. I'd personally recommend starting with a .22. Ammo is cheap, and its a great way to have some fun shooting.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 19, 2013, 01:40 PM
I did my first steel challenge recently and while it was a lot of fun with 9mm, I'd like to try it with .22.

The only catch is that I don't have enough .22 magazine for the stages. It sure seems like only having 2 would sure slow things down.

Dr_B
January 19, 2013, 01:48 PM
I shoot an M&P9 for steel challenge. 115gr plated reloads with 4.6gr of Titegroup. Sometimes I take a revolver just for fun. Most people I shoot with use 9mm, .40, or .45.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel challenge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!