38 S & W ctg

PDA

oldtomblin
January 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
I have a 38 S & W cgt that was giving to me down that family I've been told stories but would like to know about the date it was made. The number on the butt is 549322 and on the top of the barrel it says patented Feb.8.06 step.14.09 dec .29.14. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "38 S & W ctg" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
January 15, 2013, 10:57 PM
Those patent dates and serial number would indicate a .38 Military & Police, Model 1905, 4th Change.

If the barrel is marked .38 S&W CTG (Cartridge) rather than .38 S&W SPECIAL CTG, you are misreading the serial number or failing to notice the letter "V". An M&P with that serial and no "V" would not be chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge.

Jim

oldtomblin
January 16, 2013, 12:25 AM
It does say special I just didn't put it for some reason lol thanks allot!

Jim K
January 16, 2013, 12:49 AM
That gun would date to sometime in the mid-1920's. Sorry I can't be more precise, but an S&W letter would give more details as to shipping date, etc.

Jim

oldtomblin
January 16, 2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks so ,rich for the info I really appreciate it.

Radagast
January 17, 2013, 05:13 AM
1927 to 1930 for that serial number.
The .38 Military & Police is more commonly known as the Model 10 these days, although there have been several design changes since then and parts are not interchangeable.
Your gun has a heat treated barrel and should be safe with any modern standard pressure ammunition. S&W does not recommend use of increased pressure +P marked rounds in these old guns. +P+ marked ammo should never be used as there is no industry standard for +P+ and the pressure may be unsafe.
Your gun lacks a positive hammer block safety. If dropped it could fire, so leave the chamber under the hammer empty.

If you enjoyed reading about "38 S & W ctg" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!