One Semi-Auto for CC and Home Defense?

PDA

tc54
January 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
Interested in everyone's suggestions.

If you were to select one semi-auto pistol for use as your daily carry weapon, and use that same pistol as your primary home defense weapon, which pistol would you select?

Make, Model, Caliber if you please.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "One Semi-Auto for CC and Home Defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Honestly, I'm thinking the Canik Stingray Compact in 9x19 I've just gotten.

It's a bit heavy for CC, but not impossible, and HD? No problem.

Second choice? CZ P01 9mm.

chipcom
January 15, 2013, 09:14 PM
Springfield XD in the caliber of your choice.

A few years ago I would have never imagined saying anything but a 1911...times change, eh. ;-)

2wheels
January 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
Colt Commander, probably in .45ACP.

Though I'd consider .38Super and 9mm.

Skribs
January 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
For both, it has to be something that YOU personally can CC. For some people that limits it to an LCP or similar, for others it can be a Desert Eagle or smaller. My blanket recommendation would be a compact pistol, because those are small enough to easily CC in most attire and big enough that you're not sacrificing grip. Glock 19 comes to mind as the best blanket recommendation.

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out what is closest to my holy grail. About four options currently in the running; M&P (currently carry a C, liking the look of the CORE), Caracal F or C (with standard sights, not the weirdo caracal stuff), Glock 19 or 26, and PPQ. All in 9mm.

JERRY
January 15, 2013, 09:37 PM
Glock 26.

Sergei Mosin
January 15, 2013, 09:40 PM
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911, 5-inch barrel, .45 ACP. Served me well for some years now.

Roadking Rider
January 15, 2013, 09:40 PM
If I could only have one For CC it would be the Kahr PM9. It's a great CC pistol and can be CC in many different ways.

If I could only have one for HD it would be a 1911 45 acp. First pistol I ever shot was a 1911, and the love affair for them has never ended.

If I could only have one to fill both rolls it would be the CZ PO-1. Once you pick one up and shoot it. It's easy to understand why they are so popular with many gun owners.

gearhead
January 15, 2013, 10:06 PM
If you can conceal it and carry one comfortably I recommend any of the subcompact versions of a semi-auto that accept the standard capacity magazine with a spacer. You can carry with either the short or the standard length magazine if it doesn't print but you can certainly use the standard length magazine for home defense duty.

Atbat82
January 15, 2013, 10:10 PM
For me, it would be my PPS. I know it's not a perfect HD gun (I have others for that). But it's the gun that's easy to carry and reliable. A carry gun that gets left home because it's too big or too heavy is a bigger problem for me than a HD gun with a short barrel or that can only hold 8 rds.

When it's one gun for both you know you'll have too make trade offs. I would err on the side of CC.

But then again, I'm kind of new at this.

Sent from my iPhone

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 10:32 PM
I got to thinking about this question some more:

My THIRD choice, if I'm allowed one, would be a CZ82.

12+1 rounds of Buffalo Bore 9x18 +p is formidable in both HD and CC.:)

Pilot
January 15, 2013, 10:36 PM
CZ-75D PCR, or P-01. My PCR does CCW duty by day, and often nightstand duty at night. It is also a darn fine range gun. My other choice is the HK P7. Just another fine 9MM.

Y-T71
January 15, 2013, 10:38 PM
Been getting by quite nicely in both capacities with a CZ P-01 and a SIG TacOps carry.

Byrd666
January 15, 2013, 10:41 PM
Ruger SR9c
Smith M&P c9

The Lone Haranguer
January 15, 2013, 11:16 PM
Glock 19, CZ75D Compact (aka PCR), both in 9mm Luger. (Coincidentally, these are my two remaining pistols.) The Smith & Wesson M&P, also in 9mm, is also an outstanding pistol, the compact being a little better CCW.

ScottyB
January 15, 2013, 11:19 PM
I would feel pretty comfortable using my Walther P99 AS 9mm for that. Small enough to conceal, 15 round magazines, easy to shoot.

mbruce
January 16, 2013, 12:06 AM
glock .40 any size and a 9mm conversion barrel. 2 calibers...1 gun.

if u think ab it the ultimate SD gun is one which u will have the best probability of buying ammo...and with a .40/9mm conversion you get just that. a few brands have a drop in barrel.

Another route...and a cool one...Glock 22 (.40 and a lone wolf 9mm barrel) and let Lane at Cold Bore Customs do a grip reduction and grip cut down to accept mini mags. that's a sweet setup!!

Skribs
January 16, 2013, 12:16 AM
I think I'm starting to prefer a pistol I can get a full grip on without the magazine inserted, because on those I don't pinch my finger while reloading.

browningguy
January 16, 2013, 12:21 AM
I like the XDm series, standard capacity for the full size is 19+1 in 9mm. The compact version seems to be relatively easy to carry.

viking499
January 16, 2013, 12:39 AM
CZ PCR. Maybe that is why I have 2 of them.............one for weekdays and one for weekends......everyone needs a little vacation time.:rolleyes:

smalls
January 16, 2013, 01:04 AM
My daily carry/nightstand gun is an STI Spartan IV (commander sized) in 9mm.

PabloJ
January 16, 2013, 02:48 AM
I would take Glock 30 as it is one of the standouts in that gun line. You can use subsonic low flash ammo for HD and standard offerings for CC. It's nice to carry short mag and have G21 mag as reload especially for HD.

ba ba booey
January 16, 2013, 03:09 AM
Glock 19:
decent size for CC, yet large enough to be very accurate with, 15 + 1 rounds.
very durable
parts may be easier to come by due to popularity
chambered in 9mm, which may be easier to find

bannockburn
January 16, 2013, 07:27 AM
A CZ P-01 or a SIG P-229E2 would serve me well in both roles.

tc54
January 16, 2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks men.

Any other responders?

I'm interested in as many suggestions as I can get before I go shopping.

Thanks again.

TarDevil
January 16, 2013, 07:43 AM
One of many reasons I love my SR9c is that you give up little by owning the compact version. Having said that, I will be adding the SR45 as a nightstand gun. Familiar feel but with .45.

meanmrmustard
January 16, 2013, 07:47 AM
There's alot folks digging compact CZs for both roles.

Nice to see!

Nasty
January 16, 2013, 07:59 AM
This is what I essentially do...all guns are locked unloaded in the safe and the only loaded one is on my body 24/7 (okay, next to me at night).

It often changes from day to day at my whim or need, but to meet this post and select one to keep ready at all times, I would select my Springfield XDs in .45 ACP.

Easy to carry, enough for serious duty, solid performer.

MedWheeler
January 16, 2013, 08:02 AM
My EDC is a Kel-Tec PF9, and it does assume the role of "first-up" home defense weapon as well simply because it is always within arm's reach (either on my hip, or next to the bed.)

Roadking Rider
January 16, 2013, 09:38 AM
tc54
If you are not interested in a CZ that's cool,But do not, and as a Public Service Warning I repeat do not pick one up in your hands. Strange things have been known to happen to peoples minds and wallets when once handled, and there is no cure.

Jim PHL
January 16, 2013, 09:52 AM
S+W 3913 (or 3953 DAO). I always say it's big and heavy enough for fun on the range and small and light enough for comfortable carry.

M&P9c is a very close second for me. Feels a little chunkier IWB but still carries nicely, fits the same description above of "big enough/small enough" for both uses and also has the option another poster mentioned of using full-size, 17-rd mags with their "X-Grip" adapter.

Madcap_Magician
January 16, 2013, 11:31 AM
I would do either a grip-chopped 9mm like the Glock 17 cut to Glock 19 grip length, or the M&P 9 cut to compact grip length, or a lightweight commander-style 1911 in 9mm.

AKMtnRunner
January 16, 2013, 12:42 PM
To OP, do you mind if I ask why you want one gun for both roles?

I've made the mistake of buying one gun to fit two roles in hopes of saving money but in the end, I ended up unsatisfied with the degree of compromise for each role and spending more money than if I would have just started with the one-role-one-gun approach. Something to consider if you're looking for one gun just to save money.

Teachu2
January 16, 2013, 01:04 PM
Glock 30 .45acp.
2nd choice: Glock 26 9mm

These are my primary and alternate CCW guns, and I shoot them both regularly. They are both very accurate, moderate recoil, and powerful enough when loaded properly.

If you're going to use a handgun for HD, it makes sense to use your carry gun.

Aceoky
January 16, 2013, 02:06 PM
1911 with two mags full of 230 grain PDX1

Rexster
January 16, 2013, 09:34 PM
I like a full-sized, all-steel 1911 for the HD role, which works quite well much of the time for CC. This does not mean I believe in one handgun for all circumstances, just that the 1911 is really good for HD, and generally easy enough to conceal. I like the .45 ACP's comparatively mild flash and blast for indoor and low-light environments, though much of the muzzle flash problem has actually been mitigated in recent years, with flash-retardant in the powder of premium defensive/duty loads of cartridges previously known to have bright flash.

Out in the open, I don't mind harsher muzzle blast so much, and can use it to my advantage, adding a bit of shock and awe directed toward an opponent, who will get a much worse dose than I will, being behind the gun, and being not only ready for it, but having trained to tolerate it.

Another reason I like the 1911, is that its grip frame is a nice fit for my large hands, but is narrow enough so my comparatively short-to-medium thumbs and fingers can securely grasp the weapon, and work the controls. I cannot credit the original author of the term, having long forgotten, but I like to use "handsgun" to refer to wide-body pistols with double-column magazines. A handsgun may be OK in the HD role, but I would rather carry and conceal a handgun.

Some folks advocate HD guns that any responsible person in the household can handle and shoot. While I do not disagree with that idea, I see the "household" guns as more like HER guns, which I might use as a back-up plan. Fortunately, we both like medium-frame .357 sixguns.

FWIW, I carry a personally-owned P229R .40 duty pistol at work; I have several authorized choices, all double-column .40 handsguns, but I take my cased 1911 to work with me. (It is on my qual list as an authorized "back-up" pistol.) When out and about on my own time, I tend to carry the 1911 as "primary." I love my .357 revolvers; at least one SP101 snubby is on my person virtually all the time I am not in bed. I may well carry a larger .357 rather than the 1911 when I feel like it, and may carry more than one .357 at a time. I have gone through several "one gun" phases in nearly 30 years of carrying, but am back to believing there is nothing wrong with multiple guns, if one exercises due diligence in maintaining a reasonable skill level with each platform.

tc54
January 16, 2013, 10:58 PM
guys,

i have several pistols, both revolvers and semi-autos. i have a loaded pistol stashed in almost every room in my house. i live far out in the country and the law is 20 minutes away at best.

my reasoning for asking about the dual-duty pistol is just for the sake of simplification. one pistol for everything having to do with self defense.

i don't have a 1911 (although i carried one in the army for 26 years), and am hesitant about the 1911 as a carry pistol due to size/weight.

i've looked briefly at the xd's, and liked what i held. currently i carry a ruger lcp in my pants pocket 27/7, but want something with more punch, thus my original question.

thanks again for any suggestions.

weblance
January 16, 2013, 11:42 PM
Ruger has announced 9 round magazines for the LC9. 9+1 would make me feel comfortable with that for home defense. Great carry pistol with the standard magazine as well.

saltydog452
January 16, 2013, 11:58 PM
Kahr single stack 9X19. Either the K-9 or the P-9.

We, the family, have other options. Those two cover all the bases.

salty

oneounceload
January 17, 2013, 12:07 AM
Glock G26 works well for CC. For HD, you can use G19, G17, or G18 mags when on HD duty

dirtengineer
January 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
G19 or G23.

Prophet
January 17, 2013, 12:24 AM
I just purchased a 1911 for the purposes you describe but that decision was born out of personal ergonomic preference and concealability. I had a Springfield XD that I adored but I sold it off because it was chubby and difficult for me to conceal well being small-framed. 1911s are slimmer and I find even the larger ones easier to conceal.

If people who are unfamiliar with firearms reside in the home, an auto with a decock lever wouldn't be such a bad idea. Sig is selling their duty-size SP2022 in 9mm and .40, which in my opinion at just under 500 nib seems to be one of the best deals running on an affordable, solid do-it-all semi-auto. The polymer frame makes it light enough to CCW and has an integrated rail for mounting a flashlight and/or laser for HD. I handled and seriously considered purchasing one and to be honest I probably would have saved the money I spent on the 1911 and bought one if the LGS had one in .40. Nothing at all against the 9mm, but if I'm going to carry something outside of the sub-compact size range I prefer a larger caliber. The .40 also is readily convertible to .357sig with the change of a barrel.

Good luck on your decision.

edit; if you're looking for smaller Sig makes the P938 in 9mm. Small, concealable and packs quite a punch for such a small auto. Just a suggestion.

Dr.Rob
January 17, 2013, 03:39 AM
1911 or a BHP

Mr.510
January 17, 2013, 04:11 AM
My XD45C has been my daily concealed carry and home defense primary weapon for several years. I'm of the mindset that I'm better off to train hard with a single handgun and get *really* good with it than to switch around my carry and have to adapt to various guns/sights/controls/recoil/etc. To that effect, with more than 10k rounds through this pistol, I'll say that I'm sufficiently proficient with it and leave it at that. My choice to stick with the same carry weapon all the time did not directly effect my choice of a handgun for home defense over a long gun. It did make it easy to decide which pistol to keep under my pillow. :)

A little rant here: I don't get the posts I see in various threads (including this one) where people say "I can only pocket carry a mouse gun! I can't concealed carry a ______." Unless they have some unusual physical handicap *anyone* can concealed carry a bulky compact or even full sized handgun if they want to. It's not that difficult or uncomfortable and both get easier/better the more you carry. I think a lot of people are just plain lazy and use the word "can't" to make themselves feel better about being marginally prepared. Get a real gun and keep it close no matter where you are. /rant
:cool:

geerlingguy
January 17, 2013, 11:52 AM
I chose the Ruger SR9c for this exact reason. With the SR9 magazine and adapter for the c, the gun shoots like a full-size pistol, and allows a full three finger grip. Most other compact carry guns don't have as nice a grip, even in comparison the c's standard magazine.

Plus, the ability to use a 17-rd magazine means less reloading time when practicing at a range.

momano
January 17, 2013, 01:08 PM
My choice would be the S&W M&P9c. I traded away my Glock 26 to buy a second M&P9c. It is sized between the g26 and g19; magazine holds 12, and fits my hand much better. Good luck in your decision~

Rail Driver
January 17, 2013, 01:12 PM
I carry a full size 1911 at home and out around town.

mingo
January 17, 2013, 01:25 PM
Smith and Wesson is made in the USA so +1 for that and their lifetime warranty is another +1...these pistols are worth every dime. It's a gun you can trust your life with.

mingo

tc54
January 17, 2013, 09:40 PM
thanks for all the suggestions men. i bought a glock 36 today after handling several different pistols.

again, i appreciate the responses.

jon86
January 17, 2013, 09:48 PM
I think you made a good choice with the g36

VAgunner
January 17, 2013, 09:54 PM
Sig P228 or P229 would be a great choice. I would also suggest looking at the Browning Hi Power.

needmorecowbell
January 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
Another vote for CZ P01 or PCR.

TMann
January 17, 2013, 10:01 PM
The big issue for you is to find something that you'll be comfortable carrying. If it's too big/heavy, you'll end up leaving it at home.

I currently have a range of semi-auto sizes in our collection. From largest to smallest, I own a CZ 75B, a Browning Hipower, a Glock 19, a Walther PPS, and a Kel-Tec P380.

I find the 75B is pretty heavy and harder to conceal because of the longer grip. The Hipower is slightly lighter and has a shorter grip, so it carries better than the 75B. The Glock is much lighter than the Hipower, and is therefore more comfortable to carry. The PPS is thinner than the Glock, so it conceals easier under a t-shirt than the Glock. And the Kel-Tec is, of course, by far the easiest to conceal.

If I could only have one, I'd take the Glock, although the PPS and the Hipower would also be suitable "do-everything" guns.

TMann

C0untZer0
January 17, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hk p7m8

chrisb507
January 17, 2013, 11:27 PM
Looks like the OP has made the decision, but I'll throw in another vote for a compact Springfield XDM (9mm, .45 and .40 choices). It allows you two capacities and grip sizes.

460Kodiak
January 18, 2013, 12:53 PM
XDs with an extended magazine. 7+1 capacity in .45 acp. Carries like a dream do to the slim size. Shoots easy. Accurate as hell for a 3.3" bbl. Well worth the money in my book. Carries great in a hybrid IWB holster.

Sorry to repost the same thing I just posted in another thread, and sorry to sound like an XDs fanboy, but it really is a double duty gun. If your tolerance for carrying a larger bulkier gun is higher than mine, then there are better options. If you really want a easily concealable gun (very thin) that can still be loaded with a larger magazine for home defense (same capacity as most 1911's), that is light (21 oz.) the XDs is an excellent choice. You obviously get less velocity from a shorter bbl, and lower capacity with such a thin gun.

I honestly don't believe in having one gun for both duties. My home defense gun is a 15 round FNP-45 next to the bed, and an 8 round 1911 in the living room., XDs is my carry gun, and sometimes a Ruger SP101 in .357. If you insist on one gun for both, the XDs shines pretty bright.

redfisher43
January 18, 2013, 10:59 PM
XDm Compact 9mm does both jobs for me.

saltydog452
January 21, 2013, 02:42 PM
It looks as though the responses have been geared toward the preferences of a single user. If the focus were enlarged, which is the way the original post seems to read, would those preferences change?

salty

easyg
January 21, 2013, 05:08 PM
I can recommend a few...

If you are comfortable with a 9mm for self and home defense then the Ruger SR9c is just about as good as it gets.
It comes with a short pinky grip 10-round magazine, or a flush fitting 10-round magazine, and a full grip 17-round magazine.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/photobucket-26197-1335218688299.jpg

But if you don't have faith in the 9mm for whatever reason, I can recommend the Springfield Armory XD45....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/IMG_0006.jpg

I have not seen or handled the new Ruger SR45 yet, but it might just replace the XD45.

Hunter991
January 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
Kahr cw9, slim, light and can still get your hand around it

horsemen61
January 21, 2013, 05:18 PM
Glock 19 9mm 16 rounds of 9mm with the 19 mags if you use g17 mags you have 18 rounds.

Carter
January 21, 2013, 09:23 PM
The one I use now. CZ 75 Phantom 9mm.

I sometimes switch it up and use my STI Spartan .45 though.

Urban_Redneck
January 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
Caracal C 9mm 15+1 with an 18 round F mag for a reload.

YMMV

Warp
January 21, 2013, 10:40 PM

If you were to select one semi-auto pistol for use as your daily carry weapon, and use that same pistol as your primary home defense weapon, which pistol would you select?

Thanks

Glock 26 9x19

Is what I did select when I only had one gun.

RBid
January 22, 2013, 01:16 AM
Two approaches make sense to me:

1. Chopped duty style pistol. Ruger SR9c, S&W M&P 9c, XD9sc or XDm 9c, G26... or their .40 equivalents. Short mag for concealment, standard for HD. They generally shoot very well.

2. Small duty style options. Caracal C, G19/23/30, P99/PPQ, etc.

I would lean toward the first way, and go with the SR9c. In reality, I carry it when I'm wearing light clothing. My nightstand gun/open carry (work)/cold weather (Oregon...) pistol is my PPQ.

gunnutery
January 22, 2013, 01:51 AM
One Semi-Auto for CC and Home Defense?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Good question. My body type makes it a bit difficult to truely conceal anything other than a J frame revolver or sub compact pistol. But I suppose if I was limited, for whatever reason, I'd probably go with a Glock 23.

That way, for HD, I could attach a weapon light to it and take it off for CC. I would probably have to seriously consider cutting the mag well down to sub compact size though.
http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/sitebuilder/images/glock_19_to_26-400x330.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "One Semi-Auto for CC and Home Defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!