CT proposal: toughest gun laws in the country

PDA

mberoose
January 15, 2013, 10:05 PM
http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Cities-and-towns-to-seek-sweeping-gun-reforms-4196881.php#ixzz2I6Dlvqsh

HARTFORD -- Connecticut will have the toughest gun laws in the country if the Legislature adopts a proposal to be unveiled Wednesday by an organization representing the overwhelming majority of the state's towns and cities.

The proposal from the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities would set up a Gun Offender Registry for any individuals convicted of a gun crime, require a permit to purchase either ammunition or a rifle, mandate the registration of all firearms and impose rules that would bar residents with a history of mental illness from obtaining a gun permit.

The plan also would limit firearm magazine capacity, prohibit the purchase of more than one firearm in a 30-day period and outlaw the possession of body armor by all but law enforcement and military personnel.

:(

If you enjoyed reading about "CT proposal: toughest gun laws in the country" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gc70
January 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
outlaw the possession of body armor

How heartless - depriving kiddies of their kevlar backpacks.

Atbat82
January 15, 2013, 10:11 PM
They've introduced a bill that would limit all guns to a one round capacity. So, bye bye SxS shotguns...

Probably wont pass, but sometimes CT scares me.

Sent from my iPhone

gunnutery
January 15, 2013, 10:12 PM
That sucks. So they're saying it WILL pass?

Queen_of_Thunder
January 15, 2013, 10:15 PM
Wonder how they will treat Veterans.

Atbat82
January 15, 2013, 10:16 PM
There are 6-10 bills introduced recently (10rd mag limit, 50% tax on ammo, background checks, etc). Some will almost certainly pass. I very much doubt the single round limit will pass (and should it, I very much doubt it will hold up in court).

But, I'm not a lawyer, a judge, or a politician. Just a voter who happens to like my "high" capacity magazines.

Sent from my iPhone

GlowinPontiac
January 15, 2013, 10:35 PM
I have a feeling we in CT will be the next NY. Our governor Malloy does not care about anything than what he and his cronies want.

InkEd
January 15, 2013, 10:42 PM
These people are insane!

XD 45acp
January 15, 2013, 10:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ATAShooter/const.jpg

USAF_Vet
January 15, 2013, 10:59 PM
And 20 kids and 6 adults who did nothing wrong will still be dead, and bad guys who want to harm innocents will still do so, and law abiding citizens will be led like sheep to the slaughter.

Bubba613
January 16, 2013, 05:29 AM
The proposal from the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities would set up a Gun Offender Registry for any individuals convicted of a gun crime, require a permit to purchase either ammunition or a rifle, mandate the registration of all firearms and impose rules that would bar residents with a history of mental illness from obtaining a gun permit.

If you're convicted of a "gun crime" isn't that already part of a registry known as a criminal record?
Criminals simply steal guns now. They can also steal ammunition.
What is a "history of mental illness"? If someone has a scrip for depression or anxiety does that mean he loses his 2A rights? Doubt that would pass muster in any court.
I realize I am preaching to the converted here, but does anyone think anyone but law abiding gun owners will be affected by these?

HorseSoldier
January 16, 2013, 06:05 AM
So we seem to be really reaching a point where some states appear to be in a state of insurrection against the US Constitution -- not the Red States that are pro-2A, but the Blue ones that are denying their citizens the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights. Maybe Cuomo's middle of the night clandestine gun legislation will be looked back upon as Fort Sumter.

Note that I'm not calling for the overthrow of the US government -- I'm just saying that some states already seem to be trying to overthrow the US Constitution, and the .gov should take measures to stop this.

Inebriated
January 16, 2013, 06:15 AM
You know, often times I hear people say "THAT IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL!" in reference to many things. Be it magazine limits, scary feature limits, or gun-free zones... And I agree, but this is getting so far out of hand, it's beyond simply being unconstitutional. This is the intentional criminalization and demonizing of gun owners. This isn't to protect kids, this isn't to save lives, this is 100% intended to screw gun owners. THIS is as unconstitutional is it gets. They can ban them, they can do what they want, but this attitude that guns are this Nation's problem, and blaming gun owners, is so deeply and fundamentally backwards from what this Nation was founded upon, that I do not see a positive future for this Nation. If so damn many people here have this little respect for the Constitution, then it's a matter of time until we end up without one.

/rant.

radiotom
January 16, 2013, 06:24 AM
I keep saying...do you guys believe us yet??

JFtheGR8
January 16, 2013, 06:43 AM
You know, often times I hear people say "THAT IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL!" in reference to many things. Be it magazine limits, scary feature limits, or gun-free zones... And I agree, but this is getting so far out of hand, it's beyond simply being unconstitutional. This is the intentional criminalization and demonizing of gun owners. This isn't to protect kids, this isn't to save lives, this is 100% intended to screw gun owners. THIS is as unconstitutional is it gets. They can ban them, they can do what they want, but this attitude that guns are this Nation's problem, and blaming gun owners, is so deeply and fundamentally backwards from what this Nation was founded upon, that I do not see a positive future for this Nation. If so damn many people here have this little respect for the Constitution, then it's a matter of time until we end up without one.

/rant.

It saddens me to see the silent majority sit back and watch these usurpers steer our country onto the rocks. Many people don't think they've got a dog in the fight. They've got another thing coming. Take away one freedom and the rest won't be far behind.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

george d dennis
January 16, 2013, 08:20 AM
one of these days there will be civil unrest like we see in the rest of the world.
connecticut has some of the most gun laws on the books. now there going to
add more. didnt the communists say there going to take over without firing a
shot? maybe the communist manifesto? its on its way.
no pray in school. no pledge allegents to the flag. crime , drugs etc.
break the country down from the inside out. this is just a start. whats the future
going to be. no firearms? a red flag with a hammer and sickle?

goldie
January 16, 2013, 09:36 AM
^ (George Dennis)We claimed the hammer & sickle here in n.y.& A stalin statue in place of the statue of liberty, but the ss flag & swastika is still available;It seems like a domino effect, & ct wants to beat out n.y. , who will then beat out ct? At this rate, a pea shooter & straws will be a felony.1 round ? I guess it may reduce the number of bystanders hit in a drive by..:barf:

Bubba613
January 16, 2013, 09:43 AM
I keep saying...do you guys believe us yet??

Believe you, what? That leftists in blue states want to ban guns? That was never an issue. But I doubt we'll see much in the way of new legislation nationally.

george d dennis
January 16, 2013, 09:47 AM
goldie
i think we could claim that other flag.

goldie
January 16, 2013, 10:04 AM
Its all yours, but i really really hope you wont need it there.....

mberoose
January 16, 2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-newtown-legislative-panel-0116-20130115,0,5609514.story

—Malloy said that he favors many of the items in New York's bill for stricter gun control in the post-Newtown era. "We have talked about limiting magazines to a number less than 30," Malloy said. "They've gone to seven. Sounds good to me." He also said that New York had broadened its assault weapons definition, and "taken a step in the direction" of closing loopholes in gun-permitting and background checks. "Generally, it sounds good to me."

—Malloy ripped into the National Rifle Association over a controversial application for iPhones called "NRA: Practice Range" that helps children learn how to shoot. Those using the app can fire military-style firearms like AK-47s and M-16s.

Malloy reacted to the new app's being released on Sunday near the one-month anniversary of the Newtown massacre: "How dumb can you get?" Malloy asked. "How insulting can you be? How outrageous can your behaviors be? How tone-deaf can you be? You can quote any one of those."

Talking to reporters outside his office at the state Capitol on Tuesday afternoon, Malloy added: "I've been on the app, and you can push a button and hear the sound of a gun going off. It's offensive. I can assure you they didn't call me before they chose the date."

Newly elected U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., also blasted the NRA over the app, issuing a statement saying: "The NRA seems intent on continuing to insult the families of the victims of Sandy Hook. How could they think it was a good idea to use the one-month anniversary of the tragedy at Sandy Hook to release a game that teaches four-year-olds to shoot assault weapons?"

:banghead:

autospike
January 16, 2013, 11:35 AM
Believe you, what? That leftists in blue states want to ban guns? That was never an issue. But I doubt we'll see much in the way of new legislation nationally.
So what do you think Obama is going to say in about an hour?

ball3006
January 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
Conn aready has a registry of people convicted of gun crimes. It is called a criminal record....chris3

oneounceload
January 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
Note that I'm not calling for the overthrow of the US government

Why not? Wasn't that the reason for the 2A in the first place? to ensure the populace would be armed to overthrow a tyrannical, despotic government? isn't that what we have now in DC? Executive orders, refusal to follow separation powers, Tsars running departments with unlimited power and no checks and balances.....WHEN does it finally become OK to do now what the FF did to British tyrants over 200 years ago?

Every great republic, it is said, lasted 200 years before collapsing internally. We are well past 200 and collapsing internally.........

When does it finally become TOO much?

icanthitabarn
January 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
Well then a second list should be made so we will all be twice as safe.

TurtlePhish
January 16, 2013, 06:45 PM
One of the more controversial proposals, he said, is an attempt to circumvent federal commerce law, which restricts prohibitions on Internet sales, by making it illegal in Connecticut to "use the rights-of-way (public roads) for the transportation of ammunition."

What?

This is insane. That pretty much makes it impossible to ship any ammunition into the state. I don't see how stores will be able to stock anything.

The rest of their ideas are idiotic as well.

Silent Bob
January 16, 2013, 06:47 PM
If only they could put half as much effort into thinking up feasible solutions to this nation's very real fiscal problems and other issues as they do devising ways to screw law-abiding gun owners.

January 16, 2013, 06:49 PM
Of course CT should institute extremely strict gun laws.

They have been working well in Chicago for the last four decades...:rolleyes:

alsaqr
January 16, 2013, 08:04 PM
CT has had an "assault weapong ban for many years. The Bushmaster that Adam Lanza used to murder those kids and adults is banned by name.

Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 Carbien type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 Series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; USI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/ji/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

This is a fine example of the fallacy of knee jerk gun control.

mberoose
January 17, 2013, 01:09 PM
Welp, it's finally here....or at least one of them.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/s/pdf/2013SB-00161-R00-SB.pdf

Cliff notes -

1) mags capped at 10 rds.
2) designate all semi autos assault weapons
3) permit for any rifle with a pistol grip
4) permit to buy ammo
5) no more online ammo sales
6) register all firearms, to be renewed biannually

desidog
January 17, 2013, 02:39 PM
Without internet ammunition, i simply cannot afford shooting as a hobby. All the stores in southern CT are ripoffs. That's why i got my C+R FFL. This is an Unconstitutional Government Taking.

TurtlePhish
January 17, 2013, 02:46 PM
The bill as proposed is ridiculous.

radiotom
January 17, 2013, 02:48 PM
CT has a really bad twitch in its knees.

goldie
January 17, 2013, 03:44 PM
(Without internet ammunition, i simply cannot afford shooting as a hobby)This is my concern,too. im pretty well stocked up,now im going to be real selective at the range,shoot more 22lr, less of everything else.

David White
January 17, 2013, 03:56 PM
I realize I am preaching to the converted here, but does anyone think anyone but law abiding gun owners will be affected by these?

Only law abiding gun owners follow the new draconian laws that get passed. New laws, or even existing laws, never stop the criminal from committing heinous crimes. Problem is, politicians seem to think that new or even old laws will make a difference.
I don't get it though. When will the politicians realize that laws only work when people have respect for them.
A crook has no respect for the law, either new or old so it makes no difference what laws get passed to them.
Humans in general tend to be stupid. Mostly politicians but a good amount of "regular folk" as well.

mberoose
January 17, 2013, 06:00 PM
Maniacs.

General Assembly
Proposed Bill No. 122
January Session, 2013
LCO No. 543
Referred to Committee on JUDICIARY
Introduced by:
SEN. MEYER, 12th Dist.

AN ACT CONCERNING RESTRICTIONS ON GUN USE.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That the general statutes be amended to establish a class C felony offense, except for certain military and law enforcement personnel and certain gun clubs, for (1) any person or organization to purchase, sell, donate, transport, possess or use any gun except one made to fire a single round, (2) any person to fire a gun containing more than a single round, (3) any person or organization to receive from another state, territory or country a gun made to fire multiple rounds, or (4) any person or organization to purchase, sell, donate or possess a magazine or clip capable of holding more than one round.

radiotom
January 17, 2013, 06:08 PM
Maniacs.
Is that what I think it is?

mberoose
January 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
One round. ONE ROUND. Any more and it's a class C felony.

I have no words.

TurtlePhish
January 17, 2013, 06:42 PM
I want to move. :(

armoredman
January 17, 2013, 07:03 PM
TurltleFish, come down to AZ, where all of this,

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/wronghousevz58.jpg

...is legal to own and CARRY.

I wonder how many felonies this picture would be worth in CT?:fire:

TurtlePhish
January 17, 2013, 07:14 PM
We're actually allowed to have VZ-58s in CT :neener:

Seems like it won't be that way for long, though. :mad:

I'd love to go to AZ, though. It's near the top of my want-to-live-in list.

bergmen
January 17, 2013, 08:08 PM
Without internet ammunition, i simply cannot afford shooting as a hobby. All the stores in southern CT are ripoffs. That's why i got my C+R FFL. This is an Unconstitutional Government Taking.
I have two words for you: Road Trip!

Buy your ammo in another state.

Dan

razorback2003
January 17, 2013, 08:48 PM
Some foreign countries in Europe are looking better gun wise than the way these northeastern states are going.

mberoose
January 17, 2013, 08:54 PM
On the more bizarre, yet telling side of things...

(1) In general.--In the case of an individual who
surrenders a specified assault weapon to the United States or a
State or local government (or political subdivision thereof) as
part of a Federal, State, or local public safety program to
reduce the number of privately owned weapons, on the election
of the taxpayer there shall be allowed as a credit against the
tax imposed by this chapter an amount equal to $2,000.

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/226/text

lionken07
January 17, 2013, 08:58 PM
Oh by i hope this thing doesn't go far....

GlowinPontiac
January 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
Great. We are following in the footsteps of NY.
http://ccdl.us/blog/2013/01/18/alert-ct-plans-to-bypass-public-hearings/

They are going to try to railroad through a magazine limit of ZERO!!! Single shot only.

Solo
January 18, 2013, 11:59 AM
The more ridiculous the bill, the less chance of it passing :)

desidog
January 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidog
I have two words for you: Road Trip!

Buy your ammo in another state.

Dan

With NY in one direction, where it'd be illegal? Or Massachussetts two hours away? My last tank of gas was $4.20 a gallon. That's still going to exclude me from the shooting sports....and probably be illegal to transport over state lines...the way this is going.

Oh, and out of my +/-60 guns, none of them are single shot....

Between CT taxes, the current CT AWB, and now this new poo, I'm definitely a second class U.S. citizen.

gym
January 18, 2013, 02:05 PM
If you choose to live in places that have tyranical politicians, you either don't complain and change it, or you move away.
How any group of people who have an ounce of common sense, don't see this as being over reaching the athority given to these people, is beyond me.
Get the hell out of there, if you cannot change things, then you must make some serious decisions in your life.
If you say that you can't leave, "for whatever reason", then you choose to stay.

hso
January 18, 2013, 02:17 PM
This is politics. These are proposed pieces of legislation that have to be passed. Some are so embarrassingly stupid to even the Antis they won't get any effective support and some are very very dangerous and will have to be vigorously opposed politically.

Tough talkers rarely want to do the real, and real boring, work of beating back Anti legislation. This struggle is a political one and a cultural one. The Antis are using the political process and we must WORK to beat them on that front. They are using the process of demonizing gun owners and 2A advocates in society and we must WORK to beat them on that front. Chest thumping and posturing won't get the work done and it will hurt our cause with the vast number of undecided voters who are being propagandized by the Antis. We MUST beat them on this field before we start clamoring for field of battle.

razorback2003
January 18, 2013, 02:18 PM
I feel sorry for folks there. I understand how hard it is to move when you have older parents or disabled relatives you need to take care of. Also if you have a business it is sometimes tough to move that.

GlockFan
January 18, 2013, 02:32 PM
They want to throw everything at the wall and see what will stick. Obviously they know most of what they want will not pass...like the single round limit. Instead they will slowly take things in small bites. Maybe a mag cap limit, assault weapons ban and one or two more.

shamelessinct
January 18, 2013, 02:34 PM
How many of you people from CT am I going to see at the State Capitol at noon on Saturday, or testifying against the laws when they up for a hearing?

19-3Ben
January 18, 2013, 02:42 PM
Hey, there are a lot of guys from CT commenting on these.
Figured I might take this as an opportunity to refer you to this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=696391).
We have a pro-2A rally tomorrow in Hartford at the Capitol building. I encourage and implore you all to show up!

TurtlePhish
January 18, 2013, 03:41 PM
I really do want to go to the rally. I'm going to try my best to make it, but Hartford is pretty far for me.

19-3Ben
January 18, 2013, 03:48 PM
I really do want to go to the rally. I'm going to try my best to make it, but Hartford is pretty far for me.

My father is coming up from Westport/Stamford (depending on where he stays tonight). In CT about the farthest you could possibly be is about a 1:45 drive from Hartford, at absolute worst. It's not that bad.

Hartford might be far, but this is a now or never time to stand up for your rights.

In another 10 years do you want to be the guy who saved himself some driving time and didn't stand up and fight when he had the chance, or the guy who committed a day to take a stand for something he believed in?

GlowinPontiac
January 18, 2013, 03:59 PM
How many of you people from CT am I going to see at the State Capitol at noon on Saturday, or testifying against the laws when they up for a hearing?

Their won't be any hearings. The state govt plans to push these bills through as an "emergency action" bypassing all public hearings and input.

http://ccdl.us/blog/2013/01/18/alert-ct-plans-to-bypass-public-hearings/

JN01
January 18, 2013, 06:42 PM
Newly elected U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., also blasted the NRA over the app, issuing a statement saying: "The NRA seems intent on continuing to insult the families of the victims of Sandy Hook. How could they think it was a good idea to use the one-month anniversary of the tragedy at Sandy Hook to release a game that teaches four-year-olds to shoot assault weapons?"

Has Senator Murphy railed against all video game manufacturers, or is it just NRA games that are evil?

CTGunner
January 18, 2013, 11:19 PM
The latest is that they will propose an AR ban. Will this result in confiscation or pre ban registration? What's more likely?

browningguy
January 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
I'm sure glad I still live in a free state, I don't know how people can stand to live under such a Stalinist regime.

CTGunner
January 18, 2013, 11:34 PM
How is the job market in Houston? I'm ready to move now.

Texshooter
January 19, 2013, 12:55 AM
Contact Colt.

Tell em if they don't move to a Free State they own't get another penny of our business.

mberoose
January 19, 2013, 01:04 AM
http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB05452&which_year=2013

AN ACT REQUIRING GUN OWNERS TO CARRY LIABILITY INSURANCE.

To ensure adequate financial resources to compensate victims of gun violence.

Introduced by: Rep. Matthew Ritter, 1st Dist.

This is essentially a passive form of taxation for gun ownership, why lie. And if insurance companies get involved, we're screwed.

These politicians are greasy, it's disgusting.

USAF_Vet
January 19, 2013, 01:04 AM
Contact Colt.

Tell em if they don't move to a Free State they own't get another penny of our business.
Sadly, with all the government contracts filling their coffers, that is a hollow threat. They could restrict civilian sales altogether and still be fine.

Solo
January 19, 2013, 01:51 AM
Why not require convicted felons to carry liability insurance?

lobo9er
January 19, 2013, 01:55 AM
After what happened in NY I would not be surprised about anything.

lobo9er
January 19, 2013, 01:56 AM
No AR15 was ever used
http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...08495#50208495

Ignition Override
January 19, 2013, 02:00 AM
At least the severe restrictions in the UK allow a Mini 14, but they can Not be semi-auto. Each round is ejected/chambered by pulling the bolt back manually.

19-3Ben
January 19, 2013, 07:47 AM
Lobo- links broken. Can you try again? I'd love to see that.

lobo9er
January 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CDHLBfKusU
I started a thread robert said it was covered but some dont know. Everyone should know this.

Atbat82
January 22, 2013, 01:24 AM
Apparently there is a hearing scheduled for 1/28 in CT to discuss new gun laws. Anyone who's free should try to attend (for whatever good it'll do).

Sent from my iPhone

Napalm
January 22, 2013, 01:32 AM
This proposed law looks just like what nj has right now

CTPhil
January 22, 2013, 09:06 AM
Apparently there is a hearing scheduled for 1/28 in CT to discuss new gun laws. Anyone who's free should try to attend (for whatever good it'll do).

It does do good. It shows the legislators on the fence that they have support if they want to buck the tide.

kayakersteve
January 22, 2013, 09:52 AM
I wonder how all of this new legislation will affect my non-resident handgun permit for Connecticut? Hopefully, I don't loose that!

If you enjoyed reading about "CT proposal: toughest gun laws in the country" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!