What's your case lube of choice?

PDA

Grassman
January 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
I bought a bottle of RCBS case slick the other day and really like it. Easy spray on, I only load in 20 round batches so put 20 rounds on the pad give it a couple sprays and done. Never had any stuck cases,Like it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your case lube of choice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
January 15, 2013, 09:43 PM
Imperial Sizing Wax. Best stuff going.

C5rider
January 15, 2013, 09:46 PM
I like RCBS over the Lee stuff I was using. I think it works better, is cleaner and easier to get just the right amount. IMHO.

GaryL
January 15, 2013, 09:59 PM
Imperial Sizing Wax. Best stuff going.
Hard to argue with that.

I have run into some rifle cases that were rather stubborn and found a drop of gear oil spread on top of the Imperial Wax is slicker 'n snot. It's also messy and stinky, but that doesn't bother me any.

Blue68f100
January 15, 2013, 10:03 PM
Imperial Sizing Wax

Grassman
January 15, 2013, 10:40 PM
I've seen Youtube videos of people using synthetic motor oil.

bigdogpete
January 15, 2013, 11:02 PM
I just started spaying the lanolin and 99% alcohol mixture and it seems to work just fine.

ArchAngelCD
January 15, 2013, 11:06 PM
Imperial Sizing Wax, it has no equal.

Sometimes I spray some One Shot on 45 Auto and 9mm cases when loading.

Pensfan
January 15, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hornady One Shot for 9mm and 40s&w. Smooth action on my 650 and no problems whatsoever.

zxcvbob
January 15, 2013, 11:10 PM
In order of preference (they all work):

Kiwi Mink Oil boot dressing
Dillon Spray Lube
castor oil

When I get over this cold I'm going to try some homemade spray lube (castor oil and 91% isopropyl alcohol) I've already mixed it, but still too sick to do anything.

KansasSasquatch
January 15, 2013, 11:50 PM
I've used 3 different case lubes. One Shot aerosol, Case Slick pump spray, and Unique wax. I used them in that order. I thought One Shot worked pretty well, but what did I know, I was a new reloader. Then after using Case Slick I swore I'd never use One Shot again. Then found some Unique locally and swore I'd only use the Case Slick if I can't get my hands on more Unique. I might go back to Case Slick if I ever get a case feeder. I still have a half can of One Shot laying around that I keep forgetting to toss out. It is the only Hornady product that I have found to be a waste of money.

CLP
January 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
Imperial for single stage loading. Hornady One Shot for my progressive (was using Frankford Arsenal and it was excellent as well).

mljdeckard
January 15, 2013, 11:57 PM
I have used the one-shot in a ziploc bag, I let that be the neck lube too. It worked fine, but I'll try some of these other brands too.

Billy Jack
January 15, 2013, 11:57 PM
I know you don't need case lube on carbide straight walled pistol dies, but I like to keep a small jar of powdered graphite handy when I am sizing pistol cases. I just dip it in the powder, give it a tap to knock off the excess, size it , and then wipe it off later with a clean dry cloth.
It seems to make an easy job even easier.

James2
January 16, 2013, 12:41 AM
I have used high speed bearing grease. The same stuff I put in the grease gun for greasing machinery. It works fine. Just a little on your fingers and smear it on the brass.

jdownj
January 16, 2013, 12:59 AM
Lee lube cut 50/50 with rubbing alcohol, loaded in a spray bottle has treated me very well on 7.62x54( and pistol, but everything works fine for pistol...)

cfullgraf
January 16, 2013, 07:25 AM
RCBS Case Lube and Imperial Sizing wax are my favorites.

I never have had much luck with Hornady One Shot except with 30 Carbine.

Recently, I have been dabbling with liquid lanolin and alcohol in an effort to reduce incidents of neck denting on resizing. So far, promising, but still working on a good reliable application technique and figuring out how much drying time is required. (Unfortunately, it is longer than my patience at present.)

Walkalong
January 16, 2013, 07:34 AM
RCBS Case Lube II and Imperial Sizing Die Wax

NeuseRvrRat
January 16, 2013, 07:58 AM
lots of stuff works and everyone has an opinion on what's best.

i have settled on Imperial wax. no muss, no fuss, quick, easy, and cheap. easily removed in the tumbler and doesn't screw up your media.

blarby
January 16, 2013, 08:15 AM
Lee Lube.

The new puncture top makes it way easier to use on a roll pad.

Just never seen a reason to use anything else- I've tried a few, but its hard to find anything cheaper.... and at last look I had enough for several years.

I like the fact that its super easy to use in my method, its not particularly greasy, and comes off with soap and water incredibly well. It dries to a nice flake, and facilitates tumble shine without clogging up the media with gunk.

I have a tin of the imperial, maybe I should use it more. Its kinda sticky, which I didn't expect- but it works just fine.

Then again, I've used spit- and that works too...... I do not produce enough to do 500 cases at a time however.

jwrowland77
January 16, 2013, 08:18 AM
Most the time I use Mink oil shoe wax. It's a lot like Imperial, but cheaper, and its readily available. I've also used Hornady One Shot as well.

Centurian22
January 16, 2013, 09:47 AM
Another user of lanolin and alcohol. Though I couldn't find 99% so had to settle for 95 (or was it 91...?) seems to work just fine, just have to give it a little shake to re-mix before spraying.

The Bushmaster
January 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
RCBS lube and pad...Had too many stuck cases with Hornady one shot.

dragon813gt
January 16, 2013, 11:24 AM
Mink oil. Already had it on hand. If I ever run out I can pick it up at a large variety of stores. It's not expensive and like Imperial a tin will last a long time. A quick ten minute cycle in the tumbler removes it from the sized cases. Many things work but this is the cheapest/cleanest way I've found.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

gilly6993
January 16, 2013, 11:30 AM
RCBS here....

Arkansas Paul
January 16, 2013, 12:00 PM
Imperial all day every day for rifle cases.

For straight walled pistol, I know they don't require any lube with carbide sizing dies, but I use the spray on them anyway, just to make life easier. I go sparingly though. Fill a ziploc about halfway and spray one spray and shake.

leftymachinist
January 16, 2013, 03:38 PM
My favorite is Hornady case lube in the tub. I believe it is mink oil as it has the same smell & feel. Takes only a little bit.

Ifishsum
January 16, 2013, 05:10 PM
Imperial is my favorite - I've also had good luck with Hornady Unique but Imperial has no odor and is less greasy.

lightman
January 16, 2013, 05:25 PM
I've used about everything,but I've settled on Imperial for neck sizing and Dillon for my high volume stuff. When the Dillon run out, I plan to try making some. Lightman

bluetopper
January 16, 2013, 05:52 PM
A light shot of non-stick cooking spray.

Mac45
January 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
Frankford Arsenal and Lee Lube

1KPerDay
January 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
twice-rendered Spotted Owl blubber

c.latrans
January 16, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hornaday One Shot for day to day use, but nothing touches Imperial when you need to start putting serious torque on things.

SSN Vet
January 16, 2013, 09:18 PM
Imperial for hand feeding cases.

Lee mixed 1:6 with denatured alcohol in a spray bottle is working all right for pistol brass in a case feeder.

matworz
January 16, 2013, 09:47 PM
Imperial Wax-hands down!

glock2122
January 16, 2013, 09:49 PM
Lyman or Hornady spray lube.

The Bushmaster
January 17, 2013, 09:57 AM
"twice rendered Spotted Owl blubber". Good stuff, but it comes with too much baggage...(tree huggers).

DM~
January 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
Imperial is the best thing i've ever found for resizeing and heavy case forming.

DM

1KPerDay
January 17, 2013, 12:21 PM
"twice rendered Spotted Owl blubber". Good stuff, but it comes with too much baggage...(tree huggers).
sacrifices have to be made for a quality reloading experience. ;)

NormB
January 17, 2013, 02:51 PM
For small batches of bolt-gun ammo, Imperial Sizing Wax. Nothing better.

For large volume of pistol cases or bottleneck cartridges going through my Dillon XL650, I use Dillon or Frankford arsenal spray lube. The sheep fat in alcohol stuff.

gamestalker
January 17, 2013, 04:04 PM
I've used a number of lubes and all worked just fine. Lee dry case lube was probably the one I like the most for a very long time up until I tried Dillon spray on. It is much easier to apply, and I don't ever have issues with lube dents or nasty sticky lube pads. As far cases getting stuck, I've never stuck a case in all my years of reloading. Had a couple of one's that almost stuck, but fortunately those close calls only resulted in me learning how to properly lube a case.

GS

Craigman
January 17, 2013, 04:22 PM
Imperial for small batches of Rifle cal. BEST EVER!!!
RCBS pump spray for a bunch of .223 or high volume plinkers.
One shot is ok if used right, just doesnt seem to go very far per bottle

thump_rrr
January 18, 2013, 03:59 AM
Dillon case lube for spray on ( lanolin and alcohol mixture)
Imperial sizing wax or Hornady Unique for rub on.

kludge
January 18, 2013, 10:06 AM
Lee Lube. Close to 20 years. Zero stuck cases.

Just got some Imperial Sizing Wax, so far so good. I like it.

ssyoumans
January 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
Can't explain it, but I seem to get a more consistent push back of the shoulder (as measured with the Hornady headspace gauge set) when I use RCBS case lube and a pad, and a qtip to apply inside the case mouth, especially with 308 and 30-06 and 243.

With 223, I use RCBS case slick spray with no issues, and is much faster than the above.

hentown
January 18, 2013, 07:27 PM
About the only cases I'm lubing these days are .223 cases for bulk AR loading. I lay a bunch down flat in a large, shallow box and spray them with Frankford Aresenal (Midway) of Dillon pump-bottle lube.

You don't have to mix 'em up. The lube will migrate around the cases. Wait until the lube is dry before loading.

Hondo 60
January 18, 2013, 11:57 PM
lanolin and alcohol mixture

dap22
January 19, 2013, 05:48 AM
Dillon spray lube works for me.

DeadFlies
January 19, 2013, 01:09 PM
Mink Oil because I can get it at Piggly Wiggly.

gobysky
January 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
Last batch of 44 mag brass I sized I used nothing, just dry. Seemed to push thru the die ok, no scratches , etc. I read somewhere you could safely do this. Any unforeseen problems I could expect?

minnesota
January 19, 2013, 07:11 PM
Mink oil, it works.

dragon813gt
January 19, 2013, 10:55 PM
Last batch of 44 mag brass I sized I used nothing, just dry. Seemed to push thru the die ok, no scratches , etc. I read somewhere you could safely do this. Any unforeseen problems I could expect?

Carbide dies? If so you don't need to lube the brass. I've never lubed a single piece of pistol brass.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

Gonzofam
January 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
Imperial all the way. Less is more.

GaryL
January 20, 2013, 11:44 AM

As mentioned by dragon813gt, there's no need for it. Personally, I like to use a little light lube on every fifth to tenth case or so, since it makes reloading go a little smoother and adds some "feel" to the process. Either way, no harm no foul. :)

LennieT
January 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
I have been using Hornady case lube in the tub for several years, and have been very pleased with it. But after hearing so many good things about Imperial Wax I decided to give it a try. It worked, but it took a little more effort to size 308 military brass than the Hornady case lube in the tube did. So I went back to the Hornady and sure enough the Hornady is a little easier. Will use the Imperial was for handgun brass.

Lennie

Romeo 33 Delta
January 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
Imperial!

dtalley
January 22, 2013, 03:59 PM
RCBS here. I don't load that many without the carbine dies. I've been using the same bottle of RCBS since 1992. It is getting low now though

Madpap
January 22, 2013, 10:22 PM
Lyman spray lube.

jeepmor
January 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
Imperial, not as messy as the oil method.

David E
January 23, 2013, 12:03 AM
Carbide dies? If so you don't need to lube the brass. I've never lubed a single piece of pistol brass.

You don't have to lube them, but when spray lubes that dry to the touch, like Hornady One Shot, are so quick and easy to apply, its silly not to do it. The result is much easier sizing without a lot of effort.

jody3870
January 23, 2013, 07:27 PM
STP very lightly on RCBS pad. Never a problem

exdxgxe4life
January 23, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hornady One Shot has worked for me, but I know it doesn't have the best reputation. Lee lube has worked great for me, it's available, and it's relatively cheap. I never get stuck cases (which is the whole point right?). I do hate that it dulls the cases and kind of reminds me of tooth paste when it fully dries. Great thread though, I never really thought of using anything else. Lots of goof suggestions.

splattergun
January 23, 2013, 08:59 PM
homebrew spray lube, 1 part Lee sizing lube, 10 parts 97% alcohol in an old lens cleaner spray bottle.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your case lube of choice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!