Grandson

PDA

Airbrush Artist
January 15, 2013, 10:54 PM
Unbelievable, My 13 year old Grandsons First Hunting Trip,I sit here tonight wondering when he is My age if he will still Be able to Hunt with all that we are facing tomorrow...http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/RollinAirbush/joshesseer600.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Grandson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
41 Mag
January 17, 2013, 07:00 AM
Great going for your grandson.

I have three myself ranging from 11 to 4, and I wonder the same things. I sat in the woods this fall thinking about the tails and such I heard as a youth their age from my elders. It hit me hard that these kids only get the few stories here and there from those who are left, and from what I have done.

When I was growing up it was almost a family reunion come hunting season. We visited with aunts, uncles, and all sorts of cousins that nowadays aren't around or have moved away from hunting all together.

I'm hopeful that the lessons I am trying to covey will take hold with these kids and they will come to understand how much the land and wildlife are inter twined. We put out supplemental feed as often as possible, gripe about the hogs, but love to have them in the freezer. We plant early and late food plots and the kids help out as much as possible. When hunting season rolls around we have the game cams out looking at what we have coming in. They love it like being on a scavenger hunt, you never know what the next picture will bring up.

We usually only take one buck or doe from our property with the reason being there simply aren't as many deer holding in the area as there once was. Everyone knows that if we take every legal buck there won't be any for next year or the year after. Simply takes time to grown them into maturity. These are the things I am trying to pass along and so far it seems to be working. Hopefully yours and mine WILL have the chance to pass it along when they are our age.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grandson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!