Remington Primers Good/Bad?

PDA

gadawg31
January 16, 2013, 02:49 PM
Has anyone ever used remington primers for rifles? I usually have CCI on hand, but I am running low and it seems that the only ones I can find are Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle Primers. I have read that CCI has the hardest cup and I would like to stay with this type if possible, since I do load tube fed magazines, like my 30/30. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JD

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Primers Good/Bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Patocazador
January 16, 2013, 03:02 PM
I have bought several thousand Remington primers over the years .. mostly in #9 and 7 1/2. The only primers I have had trouble with were Federals.

ArchAngelCD
January 16, 2013, 03:32 PM
Remington Core-Lokt 30-30 ammo has been killing Deer for a very long time and I have never heard of a primer detonating in the tube. Since their factory ammo uses the same primers you can buy I would feel safe using them in 30-30 ammo. I have never used them because they cost more than CCI and Winchester but if those were the only ones on the shelf I would not hesitate to buy them.

cfullgraf
January 16, 2013, 03:42 PM
I use Remington 7-1/2 small rifle primers, mostly in 204 Ruger and 17 Remington but also some 223 Remington and 221 Remington Fireball.

DM~
January 16, 2013, 03:45 PM
I buy quite a few Rem. primers, i like them!

DM

gadawg31
January 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Thanks ArchAngelCD, never really thought of it like that. I like the remington core-lokt and have shot many of them. Some of the best answers are so obvious and right in front of us. Thanks.

JD

David Wile
January 16, 2013, 10:41 PM
Hey Gawdawg,

All my experience has been with Remington, Winchester, and CCI primers, and they all have worked the same for me for over 50 years.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

mljdeckard
January 16, 2013, 10:47 PM
There's a difference in primers? :)

gadawg31
January 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Dave.

Nappers
January 19, 2013, 05:04 AM
That's all I use (my gun is Remington M700), don't want Winchester primers in it :D

FROGO207
January 19, 2013, 08:20 AM
I have not used many Remington primers as they cost more and that is my only reason. The ones I used worked as well as any of the other brands but they were not noticeably better for that extra price IMHO. As noted the Federal primers could be more sensitive to slamfires due to their makeup so I do not use them in any firearms with free floating firing pins.
I feel the same about Remington Core-Loct bullets as ArchangelCD does about their ammo. The bullets are as good as it gets for an inexpensive bullet that works well and has for that matter for many many years. :D

LubeckTech
January 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
Federals are more apt to work well in revolvers with lightened triggers and guns prone to light srtikes. Winchesters are not as soft as Federal but softer than CCI. Remingtons have a reputation for being hard but have always worked well for me in stock guns.

Kachok
January 19, 2013, 11:24 AM
I am no fan of Remington products as a whole, but to be fair I never had any major issues with their primers, only one misfire in all of the Rem primed shells I fired that ain't bad. Nowadays I usually load CCI and Federal Match primers because that is what I can get locally and in bulk. I do like the fact that CCI primers will warn you about excess pressure quicker then Rem primers though.

45crittergitter
January 25, 2013, 07:21 PM
They're very good. Remington uses them all the time.

Fatelvis
January 26, 2013, 10:04 AM
The 7 1/2 is my favorite primer for small rifle. It is very consistant, and has a tough cup, very suited for AR15s. Also works well in the 357 MAX at spooky pressures!

beatledog7
January 26, 2013, 10:18 AM
I've used just about every Remington primer save shotgun primers. All have made the round go bang, none have been a problem to seat, and none have gone off by themselves.

bluetopper
January 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
Why would they not be any good? Remington has 100 years of experience in making them.

Magnum Shooter
January 26, 2013, 12:01 PM
I have used many thousands of Remington primers for handguns with not even a hint of any problem.

ranger335v
January 26, 2013, 12:05 PM
"Has anyone ever used remington primers for rifles? "

Well, considering Remington is perhaps our oldest component maker it seems quite a few people have used them with some degree of satisfaction for a long time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Primers Good/Bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!