7+1 carry suggestions

PDA

sublimaze41
January 16, 2013, 05:52 PM
In the middle of the night the State has made it a crime to carry my G19 for self protection. I obeyed New York's laws so carefully that I paid $89 for a preban no drop magazine and can no longer use it.

In order to carry legally I need to buy a new handgun with a maximum magazine capacity of 7. Does anybody have a good suggestion? I would just as soon carry a compact with more stopping power than 9mm, but 9mm is the smallest I would go.

Scary stuff here in the Empire state, even shotguns with pistol grips are a no no. Oh yea, BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR AMMUNITION:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "7+1 carry suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
January 16, 2013, 05:57 PM
I thought 10 rounders were okay as long as you loaded 7?

smalls
January 16, 2013, 05:58 PM
I haven't read the law, but I'm pretty sure you can still use your existing mags, but cannot load them with more than 7 rounds. So you don't need new mags, just need to be able to count, as another member posted in a similar thread.

CPshooter
January 16, 2013, 06:00 PM
Thank God I don't live there...

I would look at the Walther PPS and the just-announced Springfield Armory XDs chambered in 9mm if I needed a NY-legal carry gun that still had some oomph behind it.

Good luck!

Robert
January 16, 2013, 06:01 PM
Any of the 1911 family would be fine. I carry a Govt model all the time.

Skribs
January 16, 2013, 06:05 PM
How many rounds is the new XDs? I know there's a 7-round magazine option for the .45.

Fire_Moose
January 16, 2013, 06:05 PM
My Kahr CW9 has been amazing.

useless signiture

utbrowningman
January 16, 2013, 06:13 PM
Kahr CW9 with a Hogue Hand-All Jr. grip sleeve.

BP Hunter
January 16, 2013, 06:18 PM
I have a GLock 36 .45 cal 6 + 1 that I am very happy with. It is my summer carry and very concealable. I think my Taurus PT1911 has a larger recoil than my smaller G36.

Fryerpower
January 16, 2013, 06:21 PM
Only for the next year. After that magazines that can hold more than 7 are a no-no.

Question: Is the gun itself illegal because it CAN ACCEPT a magazine that can hold more than 7 or is it ok if you put a magazine that can only hold 7 in it?

BTW, you can get a P64 for a 6 +1 pocket gun, in 9x18 Makarov.

Jim

marb4
January 16, 2013, 06:23 PM
+1 on the CW9. 7 round mag. Very slim and easy to conceal. Oh yeah, shoots like a dream too.

Vern Humphrey
January 16, 2013, 06:23 PM
In order to carry legally I need to buy a new handgun with a maximum magazine capacity of 7. Does anybody have a good suggestion?
Oddly enough, the M1911 magazine, as designed by JMB holds exactly 7 rounds (although nowadays you can get reliable 8-round magazines.)

The M1911 with it's thin, flat profile makes an ideal carry gun -- I've carried one for a great many years. And the .45 ACP is nothing to sneeze at.

Hammerdown77
January 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
Glock 36.

We do have some other states in the Union you might be interested in, though....

Rubber_Duck
January 16, 2013, 07:52 PM
Kahr P9 or K9 would be my top choice for a 7+1 carry pistol.

mbruce
January 16, 2013, 08:02 PM
... bad info -- no 7rd glock mags. yet.

BigJimP
January 16, 2013, 08:21 PM
Sig 239 in .40 S&W is a 7 + 1 gun....( I think its one of your best - and least expensive options )!

Commander or Officer sized 1911 ...at least in .45 acp is 7 + 1 ...like this one from Wilson Combat - is what I would probably do, if I was you / because I'm a 1911 guy, and I carry a full sized CQB now.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-cqb-compact.asp
---------------
( All 1911's that I know of in 9mm are 9 + 1 , most 5" 1911's are 10 + 1 in 9mm ).... so I think those are out.

But you still have a lot of options in my view...

JERRY
January 16, 2013, 08:24 PM
ive heard some say they will load up all 17 or whatever and if they had to use the gun theyd toss the rest of the rounds in the magazine before the cops got there and if they used more than seven rounds the empty magazine in their pocket...would explain it...

i dont know, new york is getting the government they voted for.

Bobson
January 16, 2013, 08:28 PM
Stop supporting the morons in your state government, who hate you and your family, and move. Wyoming is a good choice.

kyletx1911
January 16, 2013, 08:40 PM
winn no more no less

kyletx1911
January 16, 2013, 08:41 PM
Oddly enough, the M1911 magazine, as designed by JMB holds exactly 7 rounds (although nowadays you can get reliable 8-round magazines.)

The M1911 with it's thin, flat profile makes an ideal carry gun -- I've carried one for a great many years. And the .45 ACP is nothing to sneeze at.
yes sir

Pukindog12
January 16, 2013, 08:45 PM
Bersa Thunder 45 UC Pro. 7 + 1 capacity.

wow6599
January 16, 2013, 08:49 PM
7+1 has worked well for 102 years.......

Buck Kramer
January 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
Bodyguard .380 if your looking for a little guy...

2wheels
January 16, 2013, 09:28 PM
A 1911, or a J frame revolver if you're open to wheelguns.

Pilot
January 16, 2013, 09:48 PM
I'd go with a Colt Lightweight Commander XSE in .45 ACP. Nice, shootable package, and fairly easy to carry due to alloy frame and slightly shorter slide.

MedWheeler
January 16, 2013, 09:56 PM
I have three carry guns that have seven-round magazines. Two are Kel-Tecs (PF9 and P32), and the third is a Bersa Thunder 380.

Big Dave
January 16, 2013, 10:49 PM
You do not have to get rid of currently owned 10 round magazines in NYS. You have a year to get rid of any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. You can only load any magazine with 7 rounds. Jeesh.

Quick Shot xMLx
January 16, 2013, 11:03 PM
Seems that you have a year to move out of the Com Bloc and to real America.

As others have stated a 1911 would be good. My 9mm Shield holds 7+1 as well. XDs, the Kahr guns, the compact P220. I'm sure there are other great guns I didn't think of.

Thunder496
January 16, 2013, 11:10 PM
If I read the law right 10 round mags have to be modified to only hold 7 rounds. You could probably put a small block inside the mag spring on 10 rounders to make them legal. I have seen where there is a lawyer looking for people to be named in a lawsuit against the state over the required turning in of normal capacity mags. He is trying to make it class action.

+1 for the Kahr pistols. I have a PM9 with 6 and 7 round mags. It is the only pistol I could find that I like that is smaller than the Glock 26 I use to have. I miss that gun. The Kahrs are basically a single stack Glock.

Teachu2
January 17, 2013, 01:16 AM
You might want to consider a 686+ revolver, saving yourself the problem of having to dump your 7 round mags when your Loonytunes Legislature goes to 5 round mags...

I carried full-sized, steel 1911s off and on for 30+ years. Changed over to Glocks less than a year ago. The G36 is a good-shooting gun, and conceals well. My primary is a G30, which I really love shooting, and it fits my hand better. If California follows NY's lead, I'll be looking to mod the G30s mags - but I doubt CA will follow NY.

I'm not familiar with handgun laws for NY - do you have an "approved" list of handguns, or just specs it has to meet?

Teachu2
January 17, 2013, 01:27 AM
BTW, if possible, shoot whatever model you are considering before you buy. The Ruger LC9 my wife wanted turned out to be the only pistol I've sold since I gave up my FFL. Accurate enough, and very slim, but not fun to shoot!

ugaarguy
January 17, 2013, 01:28 AM
Might as well buy a Kimber or Remington 1911 and support NYS gun makers.

leadcounsel
January 17, 2013, 02:44 AM
You don't need a new magazine or gun, you need a new zip code. Vote with your feet and tax dollars and leave!

tarosean
January 17, 2013, 03:34 AM
Sig 220 carry
S&W revolver
Walther ppk /s
Glock 36

?

Kiln
January 17, 2013, 05:17 AM
My suggestion is to ge the hell out of that area before they make a single shot only law and make nearly every gun owner in the state a criminal.

The old law was 10 rounds, the new law is 7. Why? Because they can. Three fewer rounds will make the majority of semi-automatic firearms illegal and that is the only reason for this ban.

ku4hx
January 17, 2013, 08:31 AM
Living here in the increasingly Sunny South, wife and I will likely not have to face the 7+1 situation. But we did discuss it.

It that were to become and issue, we'd move to our two Ruger KP90s with seven round magazines.

We also discussed another 1911

And we discussed revolvers; easy switch over there too. All those old speed loaders would start getting used all over again; that may happen anyway.

Aceoky
January 17, 2013, 08:53 AM
As Thunder already mentioned here are more details that should (IMO) interest you, since you have a year I would see how this goes (it IS Unconstitutional on it's face btw)

Lawyer Jim Tresmond, Attorney in Buffalo, New York. Attorney phone is (716) 202-4301, successfully represented clients in the past on Second Amendment issues in NYS Supreme Court. This case is pro-bono for all the gun owners of New York.

According to Mr. Tresmond the new ban is illegal as it is an ex-facto law taking away previously owned property and he intends to file this action in Federal Court. We are looking for as many as possible to add to CLASS ACTION CASE: SEND Your Name and EMAIL ADDRESS, Physical Address and phone number to: psacco1twcny.rr.com

PabloJ
January 17, 2013, 10:05 AM
I do not think they would consider that as following the law. For example, it's not ok to just load three into shotgun with five shot capacity and go duck hunting. A magazine plug has to be installed.

narcoden
January 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
The S&W shield has a 7 rnd mag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

efeng9622
January 17, 2013, 12:17 PM
Can anyone explian what that mean " limit 10 round magazine"
in 1994 assult weapon ban plan?
Does "limit 7" mean that you can't own a gun with a maganize which can be loaded over 7 round" or you can't legal load your magazine over 7 round" ?

PabloJ
January 17, 2013, 01:27 PM
Does "limit 7" mean that you can't own a gun with a maganize which can be loaded over 7 round" or you can't legal load your magazine over 7 round" ?
It is analogous to 3 shot limit for migratory birds and wildfowl.

Kiln
January 17, 2013, 02:07 PM
The ten round magazine limit was kept in place in NY and California after the 1994 ban expired. This means that any magazine that can contain more than ten rounds was not legal for sale.

The new ban is seven rounds, effectively outlawing previously sold magazines that held ten rounds and were legal under the old law.

Fishbed77
January 17, 2013, 02:43 PM
I obeyed New York's laws so carefully that I paid $89 for a preban no drop magazine and can no longer use it.

Sue the state.

Illegal seizure of property without compensation.

There is no way this silly "one year to sell your magazines" clause can hold up in court.

el Godfather
January 17, 2013, 05:52 PM
Dan Wesson VBob. Works fine.

MikeJackmin
January 17, 2013, 06:35 PM
My understanding of the law is as follows:

1) You have a year to get rid of your >10 round magazines.
2) You may KEEP your 10 round magazines, if you possess them before the law takes effect (60 days from signing). You may only load them with seven rounds.
3) Your 10 round magazines are not transferable within the state, and any new guns you buy are limited to seven rounds.

So... get a couple of 10 round glock mags, right now. Just remember to load them with seven.

sublimaze41
January 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
I have decided on a Glock 36.
I have a 1911A1 but don't feel about carrying it, as it's an Ithaca 1943.
Great suggestions, thank you!

Teachu2
January 17, 2013, 11:43 PM
I have decided on a Glock 36.
I have a 1911A1 but don't feel about carrying it, as it's an Ithaca 1943.
Great suggestions, thank you!
Good choice!

Snowdog
January 18, 2013, 12:29 AM
My Kahr K9 has served me extremely well for the past 15 years. I have long since forgotten the round count, but I am on my 3rd Wolff recoil spring.

The K9 is a 7+1 pistol with DOA trigger and designed from the ground up to use +P ammunition (which was Corbon's 115gr JHP when I bought mine in '97).
Though my primary carry these days are the M&P40c, I do on occasion carry the svelte K9.

With decent ammunition, the 9mm should be every bit as effective as the larger cartridges if on minds proper placement.

rchery59
January 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
Welcome to NY, lucky for me I carry a SW model 60 and my wife carries a kahr p380 6+1 It may be time to consider a move.

velojym
January 18, 2013, 12:58 AM
I've really been wanting the XDs in .45 since it was announced, but while I was on the waiting list I went ahead and purchased an LC9. It conceals like nobody's business (which is perfect... because that's exactly what it is), and isn't offensive at all in recoil. I don't shoot +p ammo in it, but it's great for what it is.

TennJed
January 18, 2013, 01:07 AM
If i was limited to 7+1, I would go with a Kahr CW45

USAF_Vet
January 18, 2013, 01:19 AM
XDs .45. Standard is a 5 round mag, bu there are 7 round mags available. If I were stuck in New York, that would be what I would get.

Shadow 7D
January 18, 2013, 01:35 AM
CZ 82 ;)
seems there is an exemption for Curio's and Relics

Jim Watson
January 18, 2013, 01:48 AM
I doubt the interpretation that you can keep your 10 round magazine and only load 7 after the year is up.

Glock and others were quick enough to bring out 10 round mags for the previous ban, I think they will supply this one. Of course I think they ought to apply it to all customers, NYPD included.

tarosean
January 18, 2013, 02:03 AM
My understanding of the law is as follows:

1) You have a year to get rid of your >10 round magazines.

Incorrect, the magazine ban went into effect the 15th. They must comply by March (60 days)

The year only allows for the registration of AR's that the people plan on keeping.

They can Keep their 10rders. They cannot buy more or even sell the ones they have in state. All pre-ban hi cap mags were also banned on the 15th.

Bongo Boy
January 18, 2013, 02:22 AM
Infuriating beyond description.

There have been several recommendations for Kahrs in 9mm, including the CW9 and K9. I don't own a 9mm but I do carry a K40, and it is absolutely amazing to me what you can learn to do with these solid little guns.

The Kahrs are fairly expensive, especially the all-stainless K series. But, they are little wonders of the machinist's art, look great, feel great, shoot dead nuts, and aren't difficult to learn to shoot quickly.

I feel it takes a good bit of work to get proficient with a small compact auto, and one that has a DAO action. But the journey is worth it I think, especially when 40SW is so well-managed in such a small package.

But, for the one-round higher capacity and same fine weapon, I say you really must at least pump a few rounds through one of the Kahr 9s. For one round less but IMO a no more difficult to shoot model, K40. If you just HAVE to go tiny, MK9 or MK40, but IMO the K series is small, but not too small--it's the right size for a super concealable.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the M&P Shield, although I have not handled or fired one myself. I do own 2 other M&Ps, but neither would qualify under your state's mind-numbingly idiotic, pointless and enraging restriction.

Best wishes!

marcodo
January 18, 2013, 09:02 AM
My understanding of the the new NYS laws is :

-effective immediately all mag more than 10 rounds are illegal (including pre-ban) and you have 1 year to turn them in, destroy them, or sell out of state

-non-preban hi-cap mag were already illegal here

-10 round mags remain legal if the are PERMANENTLY fixed to 7 rounds (A spacer would not qualify if I read it right)

-assault rifle definition now is down to 1 "feature". Therefore a detachable mag plus anything else, such as pistol grip is illegal unless own prior to law passing

-if assault rifle was owned prior it will need to be registered within 1 year and the gun is non-transferable

There were other laws passed as well, but I am too upset at this point and my tears are obscuring the keyboard

460Kodiak
January 18, 2013, 12:42 PM
XDs with an extended magazine. 7+1 capacity in .45 acp. Carries like a dream do to the slim size. Shoots easy. Accurate as hell for a 3.3" bbl. Well worth the money in my book. Carries great in a hybrid IWB holster.

efeng9622
January 18, 2013, 01:08 PM
I think only Manufactory can recall all magazines and PERMANENTLY fix this problem or design new mags, Otherwise. All these kind of sold guns have to put in house and canít be legal used .

AJChenMPH
January 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
Off-topic, but since this came up:
Glock and others were quick enough to bring out 10 round mags for the previous ban, I think they will supply this one. Of course I think they ought to apply it to all customers, NYPD included.
I came across this:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news%2Flocal%2Fnew_york&id=8958116

Whoops!

MachIVshooter
January 18, 2013, 03:42 PM
Lots and lots of choices for 7 or fewer round CCW pistols in .380, 9mm, .40 & .45. I personally very rarely carry a gun that actually holds more than 7+1 (KT P3AT, 6+1; KT PF9, 7+1; S&W CS-45, 6+1, CA Bulldog .44, 5 rounds).

I'd still be quite ticked if there were a law saying I couldn't, though.

breakingcontact
January 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
S&W Shield in 9mm or 40cal (9mm 7+1 with short mag, 40cal 7+1 with big mag)

kludge
January 18, 2013, 10:06 PM
How about you file suit against the state instead?

SCOTUS via Heller declared that arms in common use are protect under the 2A.

Hurryin' Hoosier
January 18, 2013, 10:20 PM
In the middle of the night the State has made it a crime to carry my G19 for self protection. I obeyed New York's laws so carefully that I paid $89 for a preban no drop magazine and can no longer use it.

In order to carry legally I need to buy a new handgun with a maximum magazine capacity of 7. Does anybody have a good suggestion? I would just as soon carry a compact with more stopping power than 9mm, but 9mm is the smallest I would go.

Scary stuff here in the Empire state, even shotguns with pistol grips are a no no. Oh yea, BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR AMMUNITION:cuss:
A Makarov "PM" (Pistolet Makarova) in 9X18MM Makarov. Great little guns!

HOOfan_1
January 19, 2013, 12:14 AM
i dont know, new york is getting the government they voted for.

You mean New York is getting the government New York City voted for. Probably half of their State legislature is made up of people representing New York City.

It is just the type of factionalism which Madison said would not happen in Federalist #10

marklmurray
January 19, 2013, 02:15 PM
CZ 82 ;)
seems there is an exemption for Curio's and Relics

If that's true that's an excellent suggestion!

The best suggestion, though, is to leave that state now!

Calhoun
January 19, 2013, 02:29 PM
I'll add another vote for a Kahr P9 or K9. Or you could go for a Commander sized 1911. Though in my experience the Kahrs are more reliable with hp ammo than 1911s.

Don't discount a good .357 magnum either.

The best suggestion, though, is to leave that state now!

THIS!

cocojo
January 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
Beretta Nano, S&W shield , Walther PPS, all 9mm. I love the nano carry this but very limited on holsters unknown why. I carry my walther ppk 380 most of the time.

Inebriated
January 20, 2013, 07:59 PM
1911, Kahr CW9/40/45, Kahr CM9/40/45 (soon to be released), XDs, Glock 36, any number of revolvers from Smith or Ruger, Ruger LC9/380....

A lot of good options, but my nod goes to the Glock 36, closely followed by a 1911... Probably would opt for a Springfield, Colt, or Ruger.

xjsnake
January 20, 2013, 08:48 PM
If I only get 7+1 rounds you can be darn sure they are gonna be .45acp. Thankfully I live where I can carry 16+1 still. Best of luck OP!

The Lone Haranguer
January 20, 2013, 11:00 PM
1911, Kahr K/P/CW series and M&P Shield came readily to mind.

Bovice
January 21, 2013, 02:58 PM
If I were restricted to 7 rounds, I'd definitely get a single stack .45.

I suggest the P220. Current mags are 8 rounds, just don't top it off when you load it. Older mags are 7.

340PD
January 21, 2013, 03:30 PM
Get and carry TWO single stack .45's
or
a 12 ga. with extended mag tube

Godsgunman
January 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
My best suggestion would be to move :p. If I were limited to 7 rounds I'd probably find a good revolver in the .357 flavor.

harrygunner
January 21, 2013, 10:44 PM
If the government passed a law requiring us to wear our underwear on the outside, guess there'd be people asking for fashion tips.

There's a time to strongly object. This absurd ruling looks like one to strongly object to in every way possible.

ETXhiker
January 22, 2013, 09:48 PM
If the government passed a law requiring us to wear our underwear on the outside, guess there'd be people asking for fashion tips.

There's a time to strongly object. This absurd ruling looks like one to strongly object to in every way possible.

Yes. Exactly. New York state is lost. Move to Texas. Liberal idiots...:cuss:

rvanpelt
January 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
Another vote for the GLOCK 36, .45 6+1 and the KAHR CW9 7+1. I love mine! :) An 8 shot mag for the Kahr is available for a road trip to one of the other states to look for a new residence and job. :)
Rod van Pelt

WRGADog
January 23, 2013, 10:33 PM
7+1 Walther PPS, 6+1 Kahr PM9, Beretta Nano, Kimber Solo.

dwstone1227
January 23, 2013, 10:48 PM
Take a look at the Springfield EMP. It has a 7 round magazine and comes in either 9 mm or 40. It sure is a fine gun to shoot.

joe_security
January 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
I just hope this thing can be overturned somehow by an appeals court.

SullyVols
January 25, 2013, 07:24 PM
7+1 ? Desert Eagle .50 AE. Perfectly legal outside the People's Republic of California and only holds 7 rounds. Has more muzzle energy than most rifles. Unfortunately it also weighs like 5 pounds fully loaded.

Of course I am being facetious and I don't pretend to even care about the laws of states like California, New York, and Illinois. They are lost financially and ideologically.

The reason the 2nd amendment should exist is to protect the populace from its own government. Even if the government really did mean well - you can't solve these mass-murders by taking away guns - 1995 Oklahoma City - A guy killed 168 with fertilizer and a cheap industrial explosive.

willroute
February 11, 2013, 11:58 PM
I would also vote for Kahr Pm9 or Glock 36. You can get the plus 1 extension for the glock 36 mags to accommodate 7

AdamSean
February 12, 2013, 01:28 AM
I vote for a single stack .45 ACP. I carry a Glock 36. The standard magazine is only 6, but you can get the +1 baseplate and get 7.

powder
February 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
I snagged a G36 on an impulse purchase: package deal with a price I could not pass up. Outstanding CCW and off-duty pistol.

sargents1
February 13, 2013, 05:47 PM
If you are limited to 7rds, make 'em count.

Go Big.

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/model1_50gi.shtml

Or move one state over to Vermont. No BS there.

breakingcontact
February 13, 2013, 07:42 PM
I would recommend moving to a FREE state if at all possible. I'd go with whatever you shoot fast and accurate. If that's a 45 great. But I would let that dictate what you carry not the caliber. Certain calibers or bullets are NOT magic and you may have to hit center of mass quickly several times to stop the threat.

sublimaze41
February 22, 2013, 05:40 AM
After much consideration I purchased a KAHR P45 with nite sites. The price was fair and it meets New York States' guidelines.

I am still heartbroken about the new laws here, they are crazy and definately an over reaction. Funny how I complied with all laws regarding PreBan firearms and a moment later they are declared illegal.

8 years in the Army being trusted with anything from a M240 to a .50 Cal and now I can't shoot a HK P7M13. BTW, when will HK come out with a 7 round P7M13 magazine??? They won't so I will have to sell it. SAD, SAD, SAD.

Pilot
February 22, 2013, 08:20 AM
now I can't shoot a HK P7M13. BTW, when will HK come out with a 7 round P7M13 magazine??? They won't so I will have to sell it. SAD, SAD, SAD.

Well, I know it is no consolation, but P7M13's are going for a premium right now. I am still confused about the law. I thought you could still have mags that hold up to 10 rounds but only load 7? If so you could legally get a P7M8 or PSP with its 8 round mag, and only load 7. I need to read the law, but thankfully don't live in NY. Sorry buddy. :(

340PD
February 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
vote them out of office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TonyT
February 22, 2013, 03:15 PM
sublimaze41,
I feel your pain even though I do not have such ridiculous requirements in my state of residence.
For a nmber of years I carried a Glock-36 - a single stack 45 ACP with 6+! capacity although you can purchase a magazine extention which converts the mag to 7 shot capacity.
I finally opted for a Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster which is my constant companion. Kahr also make a similar unit in 45ACP.

pat701
February 22, 2013, 11:02 PM
Sig P239!!

tomrkba
February 23, 2013, 12:42 AM
vote them out of office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? Do you think that will happen?

contactcole
February 23, 2013, 01:19 AM
Glock 36
1911 CCO
Kahr P9

jc650
February 23, 2013, 06:57 AM
The "move to a free state" sentiment is funny. What makes you think they won't try this everywhere. Keep putting your heads in the sand cause it's not in your state. Some day it could be. We're gonna do everything we can to overturn this ridiculous law. New York City and Long Island pols ruin it for the rest of the state.

thorazine
February 24, 2013, 06:39 AM
Might as well get a 360 PD.

I know it's only a five shot revolver but at least you're preparing yourself for the next NY state ban where they further reduce capacity. =D

Robbins290
February 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
Sig p220 compact carry. 6+1. Mine is sao. Love it

Speedo66
February 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
This link to the NY governor's office provides a list of Q & A about the new law. The funny (tragic?) part is a disclaimer at the bottom that says it's for information only, not the law. Does this mean even the governor is not sure about the law? :confused:

They also tell dealers they don't have to do background checks for private sales, which are required under the law. They also restrict the fee to $10. I don't know one dealer who will do transfers for $10. Which may be a backdoor plan to eliminate private sales.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

SharpsDressedMan
February 24, 2013, 11:10 PM
This. Only five rounds, but guaranteed to blow a hole through any two buildings, 3-4 vehicles, or any 10-12 people lined up in a row. Use heat treated, hard cast lead flat point bullets, so you won't be accused of using "cop killer hollowpoints". Should be legal in NY. Doesn't look like those deadly assault rifles at all. ........................... http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05273.jpg ...................... .45 auto round shown for comparison.

Gary A
February 26, 2013, 11:20 AM
Pardon me if this is a foolish comment, but did not the Heller ruling in the Supreme Court affirm that American citizens have a constitutional right to own and defend themselves with handguns which are "in common usage"? Wouldn't a state law designed to prevent residents from defending themselves with handguns that are "in common usage" all over the country (and world) be unconstitutional from its inception? If New York residents are forced to scramble and search for handguns that do not violate state law, they are clearly being prevented for using handguns "in common usage".

SharpsDressedMan
February 26, 2013, 12:01 PM
They might have a problem with that one. After all, what handgun is in "common usage" with the NYPD? It would be akin to asking all citizens to step back to a single shot pistol when revolvers have been "in common usage" for a given time period, say the 1860's. It would have been heralded as ridiculous back then.

460Kodiak
February 26, 2013, 01:00 PM
Technically speaking wouldn't they be preventing you from using a magazine in common usage, not a firearm in common usage? I don't think that argument would stand up. They would simply say you can still use that gun, just with a different magazine. Thus, your rights are not being infringed uppon. Silly, but they could definately get away with it.

easyg
February 26, 2013, 01:09 PM
If I were limited to just 7 rounds I would seriously consider a revolver.

Gary A
February 26, 2013, 09:39 PM
They would simply say you can still use that gun, just with a different magazine.

Possibly. I don't know. There are a lot of currently available guns for which there are no magazines that comply with NY law, effectively banning the guns themselves since magazines are an essential part of the whole. I don't want to hijack the thread, just wondering about the potentialities.

KimberLover
February 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
Take the magazine apart and install a block plug in the bottom.
Cut the plug to keep the carrier from accepting more than 7 rounds.

rodinal220
February 27, 2013, 01:13 PM
1911 full size,Commander,Officers,Defender,Agent are all possibilities.

Aceoky
February 27, 2013, 08:15 PM
The Heller ruling was clear that "arms in common use " could not be barred or banned, that would include AR & Magazines with 30 rounds which are standard for the AR-15. In fact I'm pretty sure that argument will soon be applied against the NY laws. Since almost every common firearm uses more than a 7 round magazine and AR-15 etc. are very common (and the police also use both) it will be hard to undermine a SCOTUS ruling that was very clear and simple to grasp.

That being said, I first thought how nice it would be if Every NY citizen started having 44 mag, .454 Casault, .41 mag, .45 long colts, and .500 all which hold less than 7 rounds LOL

Looks like it is starting

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/thousands_expected_at_pro-gun.html

el Godfather
March 1, 2013, 01:48 AM
The more I think about this the more towards revolvers I lean.

I simply dont care to obey an oppressive government.

READ MY SIGNATURE!

It says it all.

Gary A
March 1, 2013, 02:50 AM
The more I think about this the more towards revolvers I lean.

I simply dont care to obey an oppressive government.

I certainly see your point and am primarily a revolver guy myself. However, switching from semi-autos to revolvers as a form of protest or rebellion against an oppressive government has its shortcomings, with perhaps the ultimate protest being adopting a flintlock pistol as your carry piece. That'll show 'em.

Actually, if everyone switched to revolvers, that would be exactly what many anti-gun people want; a move away from capacity and speed toward less firepower. In a sense, your refusal to obey is exactly what they want.

That from someone who actually prefers single-action revolvers first and foremost, :D

Oh, well... "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" sayeth Emerson.

el Godfather
March 1, 2013, 04:37 AM
I think I am miss read. Changing to revolver is an independent statement from not obeying the government one.

Gary A
March 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
I think I am miss read. Changing to revolver is an independent statement from not obeying the government one.

You are correct. I was connecting the two statements in my mind and just having fun with the idea.

Still, there is something enticing about the thought of really trying to improve with a bow and arrow and putting all this foolishness behind me.

If you enjoyed reading about "7+1 carry suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!