At least my letters to Rubio were not in vain

PDA

gym
January 16, 2013, 07:59 PM
On Laura Ingraham's radio show this morning, Florida senator Marco Rubio, a Republican, said the media opposes the Second Amendment.

“[T]he mass media in this country, both entertainment and news media… leans lefts and would prefer that there not be Second Amendment,” said Rubio.

The Florida senator also took issue with the fact that President Obama will announce his gun control measures later today surrounded by children.

“[I]t implies that somehow those of us who do not agree with his public policy prescriptions don’t equally care about children. I have four children of my own… I was shocked and outraged and disgusted by what happened in Connecticut,” said Rubio.

Rubio suggested a pattern of Obama "demonizing" political opponents. “There’s a long history in this administration of demonizing their political opponents… [I]t’s an effort to convince people that the other side are just not good people,” said Rubio.

The Republican added that Obama's gun control measures “would not have prevented what happened in Connecticut, and it would not prevent it from happening in the future”

“Criminals don’t follow the law,” he said. “That’s what makes them criminals.”

If you enjoyed reading about "At least my letters to Rubio were not in vain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
opto_isolator
January 16, 2013, 09:07 PM
Excellent news!

KLL
January 16, 2013, 09:33 PM
Agreed, I got a few "I will respond shortly" emails from his office, but not a real response. Glad to see his is sensible and pro-2A and not afraid to make it public. I think he's definitely a presidential candidate in 2016 or 2020, and has a better chance of winning than most of the recent candidates. I'd really like to see him in 2016 with no incumbent.

berettaprofessor
January 16, 2013, 10:24 PM
Yeah, but unfortunately I saw him on O'Reilly and he didn't correct Bill's push for gun registration....in fact he tacitly agreed with it and at one point, I think, said Florida has that. We've got to stop registration.

KLL
January 16, 2013, 10:41 PM
Florida has nothing of the sort, no registration, no permit needed, just NICS and get your gun. I didn't see the interview though so I don't know what he actually said. Was it positive overall and he just slipped up on that item?

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 16, 2013, 11:44 PM
So far he is my only "hope" for "change" in 2016. It will be so screwed up by then, I am afraid he won't want the job...

C5rider
January 17, 2013, 01:06 AM
I noted that he also shook his head in agreement when Bill pushed for background checks for everyone. He (Marco) then mentioned that he's a CCP holder and that he took his background check to GET that (fingerprints, background, etc).

Been trying to work out this background check thing for myself and have concluded that, if I have a concealed carry permit, I HAVE had a background check and, have been cleared. I can use it to purchase a firearm without a 3-day wait, because I've been cleared. It's one of the additional benefits above and beyond simply concealed carry.

I know that some states don't need a permit. My question is, would it benefit (or not) if a permit were issued and available upon a background check, that would then serve as CCP AND as a check that you're "one of the good guys"? Would it be better with a federal CCP, IF it satisfies the "background check" requirement?

I listened to Marco on the program and must say that I was impressed. Had some good thoughts on more than simply gun stuff. I think I could like this guy.

BHP FAN
January 17, 2013, 01:20 AM
I wish to God Mitt Romney had chosen him for a running mate, and made Paul Ryan Secretary of the Treasury.

C5rider
January 17, 2013, 02:56 PM
JohnnyD,

I understand what you're saying.

My thought was this. IF they're going to push for a check, why not set up some parameters like, if we're going to prove that we're the good guys, then allow us to CARRY 'em wherever! We've PROVEN that we're the good guys, right? From coast to coast, we're the good guys and we've proven it. We don't become bad guys when we go into NYC, MD, IL, Chi-Town or wherever. Good guys don't do bad things, so, there's no reason we shouldn't be allowed to carry in these areas too. If we're good guys, we're GOOD guys. If we're bad guys, we shouldn't have the guns anyways, right?

Just thinking that if a federal CCP were to become part of the package within a background check, then it should apply to the nation, not pockets of it. Again, we've proven we're the good guys.

I know some cringe at even that as a restriction and I understand that also. Just stating a thought...

If you enjoyed reading about "At least my letters to Rubio were not in vain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!