Case denting

PDA

Grassman
January 17, 2013, 01:42 PM
In .308..... I realize this is due to possibly over lube, and the pressures cause a dent in the case during re sizing? Are there any other factors that play into this? Die not adjusted correctly? And, will this dent affect the round, and will this dent come out after firing the round?

If you enjoyed reading about "Case denting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 17, 2013, 01:47 PM
Too much sizing lube.

Yes, it will be gone after firing.

No safety problems at all firing it.

rc

Grassman
January 17, 2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks rc, I'm sure these questions are repetitive and mundane to you, but I'm still learning. I have tons of questions. Thanks for your help sir!

Onewolf
January 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
I assume they are not dented before sizing? Semi-automatic actions can/will dent brass. :)

rcmodel
January 17, 2013, 02:00 PM
No problem.
Glad to help.

I find if I apply case lube and then wipe off all I can with my greasy fingers, it leaves a thin film that is just right.

rc

Certaindeaf
January 17, 2013, 02:03 PM
I assume they are not dented before sizing? Semi-automatic actions can/will dent brass. :)Or hobnailed boots made by TheTreesForTheForest?. lolz. I think RC nailed it.

Grassman
January 17, 2013, 02:07 PM
I assume they are not dented before sizing? Semi-automatic actions can/will dent brass. :)
No they were not, I inspected every case before sizing. It tipped me off due to the fact that the first three or four were dented, then maybe every third one, then to the end of the batch none were dented, guess the lube wore off as I went along.

osprey176
January 17, 2013, 10:25 PM
I use Imperial Sizing Wax applied sparingly.haven' t dented a case in years.Much easier to use than lube pads.Cheap too.

Ifishsum
January 18, 2013, 12:52 AM
You don't need lube on the shoulders - I just lightly lube the lower 2/3 or so of the case, keeping it below the shoulder and then size it.

Most dies also have a hole through them in the shoulder area to release pressure. Check that it isn't clogged, but shoulder dents are almost always caused by unnecessary/excess lube.

If you enjoyed reading about "Case denting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!