Where & how to sell mounts

PDA

rgwalt
January 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
My wife's grandmother is trying to sell her home in the country and move closer to her children & grandchildren living in and around Houston. Her late husband was an avid hunter and fisherman, so their home proudly displays several of his trophies. There are two rather nice dear and one elk on display above the fireplace. However, when it comes time to sell the house, my grandmother does not want to take the mounts with her. Some family members have spoken for the smaller pieces, but no one wants the larger pieces.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on where and how to sell these items? Or even give them away?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where & how to sell mounts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 17, 2013, 04:07 PM
It depends on the state law where you live.

In some states it is against the law to sell game animal parts, and that includes mounts.

Best check in with the state wildlife division and see what they say about selling them first.

rc

CoRoMo
January 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
I wonder if a sportsman's retail store would take them. There is a Cabela's and a Bass Pro Shops being proposed/built here in Colorado soon and you've probably seen how they adorn their space with these things. I've even seen mounts in Sportsman's Warehouse that have a small plate/plaque to attribute the mount to the hunter. Something like that would really give your wife's grandpa a bit of an honor. But I don't know how you would/could go about contacting the right people within those types of companies in order to propose them taking the mounts for new stores' walls.

And I suppose your man cave doesn't have space for them?

Patocazador
January 17, 2013, 08:19 PM
The trouble with mounts they cost a small fortune to have them done but nobody will pay much for them when you want to sell them. I believe that BassPro and Cabela's will take large (trophy) mounts but not pay much if anything.
A restaurant with a western or rustic theme will buy them sometimes but you have to approach them before they open the restaurant or someone else has beaten you to it.

Good Luck!

Rembrandt
January 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
As a non-profit club, we have the ability to receive donations of about anything you can imagine. One fellow contacted me about donating his taxidermy collection. The IRS has specific rules and guidelines for doing this. Each mount was professionally appraised by Jonas Brothers, it was valued at over $200,000. We then gave the donor a receipt for the collection that he in turn gave his accountant. Everyone was happy and the donor got a nice tax break. We in turn use the collection for educational purposes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Scan10001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Scan1.jpg

sage5907
January 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
If the animal is mounted on a wood panel you can sell the panel and give the mount away free with the panel. Or, you could tape a silver dollar to the back and sell the silver dollar and give the animal away free with the silver dollar. That solves the problem with dealing with state laws.

rgwalt
January 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, much appreciated! I wish they would build a Cabela's in Houston.

oneounceload
January 18, 2013, 07:29 PM
Donate them to a local gun club and take a tax write off

If you enjoyed reading about "Where & how to sell mounts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!