Al Franken Blinks on AWB

PDA

Alaska444
January 17, 2013, 05:28 PM
Perhaps the tide is turning in the clamor to ban assault weapons and other gun control measures. Even ultra-liberal Al Franken is softening his stance on an AWB. Hopefully they get the message loud and clear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/01/17/al-franken-undecided-on-assault-weapons-ban/

If you enjoyed reading about "Al Franken Blinks on AWB" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
holdencm9
January 17, 2013, 05:30 PM
Woohoo maybe my email to him was not entirely in vain.

mberoose
January 17, 2013, 05:41 PM
woo-hoo?

This post has been updated.

At a press conference Wednesday, Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) said he supports two key parts of President Obama’s plan to deal with gun violence: new limits on high-capacity magazines and strengthening background checks for gun buyers.

Franken did not take a position on an assault weapons ban. ”He’s been listening to Minnesota, trying to be thoughtful on this and trying to get input from people from a wide spectrum of views,” a spokesman told the Rochester Post-Bulletin. The senator himself later told the paper, “I also support the principle that we should reinstate a ban on assault weapons, and I will carefully review any proposal to do that.”

psyopspec
January 17, 2013, 05:52 PM

Thank you on behalf of all of us for writing in to him. It's easy to be glum and think that contacting a legislator won't change anything. But these few hundred votes on any possible gun control measures have such large implications that each one counts, and each person behind that vote should be contacted by constituents. You rock, man.

xXxplosive
January 17, 2013, 05:55 PM
IMO....he's probably a democratic gun owner.........they do exist ya know.

bigfatdave
January 17, 2013, 06:02 PM
interesting

a while back he took a rather literal interpertation on the 4a during a PATRIOT act hearing (I'm going from memory here, look for it on YouTube)
someone should remind him about that day and ask him to read the 2a out loud

PT92
January 17, 2013, 06:16 PM
It's actually difficult for me to take Ol' Stuart Smalley seriously :rolleyes: (not sure what MN. was thinking by electing SNL people for the United States Congress)...That said I do not find anything positive in the aforementioned link as it looks like more status-quo Dem anti behavior?

Elkins45
January 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
Sounds like he's trying to walk the reelection tightrope. He only won on the slimmest of margins to begin with.

floydster
January 17, 2013, 08:59 PM
Freaky Frank is just playing his cards--another politician that talks and says nothing.

Smokeyloads

PT92
January 17, 2013, 09:06 PM
Freaky Frank is just playing his cards--another politician that talks and says nothing.

Smokeyloads
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." ;) This may be lost on the younger crowd here that's not familiar with 20th Century SNL...

Hacker15E
January 17, 2013, 09:28 PM
Not all gun owners and RKBA proponents are Republicans.

Why do so many people not grasp that?

PT92
January 17, 2013, 09:38 PM

Agreed--I'm neither Dem or Rep.

psyopspec
January 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
Agreed--I'm neither Dem or Rep.

Me neither. I got left behind by both quite a few years ago.

PT92
January 17, 2013, 11:32 PM
I think you and I are no longer the "exception" to the rule. As you mentioned, they both seem to have veered off course to say the least. That said, we're in a position come voting time where we have to analyse the "two choices" and then "pick your poison" so to speak. Not ideal by a long-shot but it's just one of those things you've gotta do in terms of attempting to put in office politicians that will best "defend" 2A.

I see you're in CO.--I used to live there (Den./Aurora) in the mid-90s' when it was more of a "Red State" so things are fluid in the Country big-time with ever-changing Demographics...

budiceman
January 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
I vote by their, voting on gun issues

Screamin'Eagle
January 17, 2013, 11:47 PM
I sent an email to Franken. All I got was a confirmation that they received it. Looks like all he is doing is trying to walk a fine line to get reelected.

Walter
January 17, 2013, 11:47 PM

I followed a link the other day to e-mail my congressional reps about all this upcoming gun control legislation. Then I realized who my reps were:
Senator John Cornyn, Senator Ted Cruz, and U.S. Rep Joe Barton.

No sense wasting my time e-mailing those guys, they know how I feel.
They feel the same way.:D

I just wish more members of Congress felt the same way MY reps feel about "gun control".

Walter

PT92
January 18, 2013, 12:06 AM
I vote by their, voting on gun issues
Yeah--we get heavily criticized at times by voting per "litmus test" on 2A...But I think many of us believe that if a politician does not support 2A, then his or her entire character cannot be trusted (in all policy arenas)…It's just that fundamental.

MaterDei
January 18, 2013, 12:12 AM

While not are all Republicans (Libertarian here) I cannot fathom why somebody who feels strongly about RKBA issues would be a Democrat.

Ohio Gun Guy
January 18, 2013, 12:14 AM
I find that I agree with a very High majority of politicians on other topics that are truely Pro 2A.

I can handle differences in a lot of things, but if they are not out to change the constitution (IE they aren't trying to FORCE me to think / act their way) it's okay with me.

Ohio Gun Guy
January 18, 2013, 12:16 AM
^ Agree. There are a lot of Dems, who pay the 2A lip service to get voted in, but they are dangerous.... The Dems usually find a way to get their members to tow the part line.

hi-tower
January 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
As someone from MN I know how I will be voting when this guy comes up for re-election. My guess is he will not like it. I sent a few emails to him and got a canned response also that they received it and nothing else. Same goes for the other 2 I emailed. I do like the video that was put together by the owner of Fleet Farm supporting the 2A. This week on their weekely ad they had a 9mm on the front cover. Here is a link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0o7YgiTFm4

BHP FAN
January 18, 2013, 12:37 AM
Hell, he didn't win last ime. he just wouldn't concede, and his supporters just kept ''finding'' ballots in trunks and attics...

Skylerbone
January 18, 2013, 12:45 AM
The Democrat Party strategy is a clever one: ralley every little group behind them with the promise of action but never deliver, all the while name calling. All for gay rights (but no legislative action, let courts handle it and no Social Security for spouses), all for legalizing drugs (but maybe not at the Federal level), all for saving the planet (but happy to accept fines in place of restrictions). They've convinced minorities that Republicans are racists, check the vote on civil rights legislation- you'll see which party sent the bill to JFK. Which party gave Colin Powell every prominent position he ever held (what a turncoat). Remember what Democrats had to say about Clarence Thomas? All for grassroots organizations unless it's the Tea Party. Should have had Bill Clinton lead the discussion on the "War on Women" and Obama should have given his speech about protecting children on the steps of an abortion clinic.

They don't work in principle or in practice and while I'm registered independent, it isn't difficult to spot the liars, the instigators, the real freedom hating fear mongers. Don't think for a second that Al Franken cares one iota for any part of our Constitution that doesn't suit his personal and party agenda.

DammitBoy
January 18, 2013, 12:46 AM
Neither party in power represents me

mljdeckard
January 18, 2013, 12:47 AM
I may agree that this is indeed a case where letter-writing makes a difference. Stuart Smalley knows that he is in that office by way of a joke that came true, and he was on thin ice from day one.

climbnjump
January 18, 2013, 01:08 AM
(not sure what MN. was thinking by electing SNL people for the United States Congress)

Perhaps they were thinking, "Since the other 99 Senators are de facto clowns, perhaps we should drop the veil and send a real one."

PT92
January 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
Perhaps they were thinking, "Since the other 99 Senators are de facto clowns, perhaps we should drop the veil and send a real one."
Well played my friend ;).

thegoodlistener
January 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
Regardless of whether they are republican or democrat as gun owners and pro right to bear arms I think supporting pro gun is important not people riding the fence. As I think we have seen people that don't give you straight answers tend to go against what you believe.

Skribs
January 18, 2013, 03:28 PM
I think a lot of democrats support RKBA. I think very few democrat politicians support it. When I talk about the dem's trying to take away my rights, I'm talking about those in power. You can say all you want about how "I'm a democrat and I'm a gun owner", but when it comes down to voting party lines, Democrat politicians are the ones I expect to have my interests not at heart.

I'm not sure where I fall, between Libertarian and Republican, but I know that I will vote Republican if it means my vote counting against a candidate that will try and take my guns. I will agree with the above sentiments: if they do not support 2A, then I have no business supporting them, because the 2A is the only amendment which gives a consequence to tyranny. Tyrants don't care about letters and protests. If they want to oppress us, the only thing they'll fear is an armed populace.

Alaska444
January 18, 2013, 04:36 PM
Looks like the entire Dem senate is blinking at this time.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/18/senate-dems-noncommittal-on-obama-gun-control-plan/?test=latestnews

Gallup poll shows majority of American's support the NRA.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/18/majority-supports-nra-despite-recent-criticism-poll-shows/

Time to turn up the heat and keep it up. Could help in other confrontations with Obama the next four years. Without the power of the people, Washington will continue on their path. We want our country back from these usurpers.

Solo
January 18, 2013, 06:01 PM
I would feel more confident were those figures not from Fox News.

ErikO
January 18, 2013, 06:04 PM
IMO....he's probably a democratic gun owner.........they do exist ya know.
Nah, they don't. That is just hearsay.

Oh wait...

;)

Wonder if Reid will keep the iron in his spine for a bit longer. Need to keep the pressure up for sure.

Anyway, if it passed the House there would be hell to pay in 2014 either way.

mrvco
January 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
If they want to get something passed before 2014, they need a stalking-horse (e.g. AWB) so they can arrive at a compromise (e.g. Closing the "Gun Show Loophole" and banning new 30-round mags). They know any sort of AWB is pointless, but they also know it gets the pro-2A side worked up into a lather, hence, it is the perfect stalking-horse.

Hacker15E
January 18, 2013, 06:50 PM
^ Agree. There are a lot of Dems, who pay the 2A lip service to get voted in, but they are dangerous.... The Dems usually find a way to get their members to tow the part line.

So, I suppose all of those Republicans in the NY Assembly who rushed through their gun control bill in the middle of the night aren't dangerous?

Again, let's stop this ludicrous belief that RKBA is a right/conservative/Republican issue. There are many, many, many examples to the contrary, and believing so only hurts the RKBA cause by putting faith in politicians who may not actually support, and excluding both citizens and politicians who DO simply because of a (D) or what else they believe in.

As RKBA supporters, we ALWAYS need to maintain our allies WHEREVER they live on the political spectrum. THAT INCLUDES LIBERALS/LEFTISTS/DEMOCRATS/PROGRESSIVES.

Hacker15E
January 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
While not are all Republicans (Libertarian here) I cannot fathom why somebody who feels strongly about RKBA issues would be a Democrat.

Try reading here -- there are actually a lot of 'em.

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3/

PT92
January 18, 2013, 07:13 PM
Nah, they don't. That is just hearsay.

Oh wait...

;)

Wonder if Reid will keep the iron in his spine for a bit longer. Need to keep the pressure up for sure.

Anyway, if it passed the House there would be hell to pay in 2014 either way.
Isn't the AWB pursued via Congress at this point simply "theatrics?" Everyone knows that any AWB (II) Bill as Congress is currently situated has ZERO chances of passing--as someone mentioned earlier perhaps the Senate but never the House.

So why is the POTUS even attempting such? IMO so when it fails Congressional approval he will IMMEDIATELY issue Executive Orders implementing that very same bill absent the House/Senate passage :rolleyes:..Thus (in theory) we get Feinstein's AWBII one way or another...?

Maybe I am way off base as I do not hear anyone suggesting this...?

Solo
January 18, 2013, 07:14 PM
Morbo says executive orders do NOT work that way.

Skylerbone
January 18, 2013, 07:20 PM
Hacker, no disrespect meant but while 2A is an issue I stand firmly on so too is my stance on abortion (against), same-sex marriage (against) and a host of other issues as well. I recognize the separation of Church and State as vital but also know that a certain broader morality has always been decreed by law as the base of any society.

When an individual steps out onto the political stage, he is representative of more than self if choosing R or D or G and their respective platforms. We elect individuals not to do our bidding as some may believe but rather as best choice in voting their own conscience. Yes, character counts. In reviewing political platforms I find no evidence of any moral fiber within the Democrat Party. Therefore a person choosing to identify with the party who does not toe the line is either lying to them or lying to you.

To me, voting in a wolf who swears to uphold sheeps' rights is denying the nature of the beast who chooses to run with the pack. My two cents.

Skylerbone
January 18, 2013, 07:26 PM
So why is the POTUS even attempting such?

Same reason as always. If it doesn't pass, blame "the party of no". He's the great savior who is chained by evil Republicans cowing down to Powerful Lobbyists. Same argument with tax rates. Same argument with the debt ceiling. No solutions, no compromise and no Change. Forward indeed.

Clean97GTI
January 18, 2013, 07:49 PM

Because I tend to disagree strongly with most republican positions on social and economic issues. I myself am not registered as a democrat but I did vote for Harry Reid the last couple times I could as well as twice for Obama. The reasons are simple. The republican line on economics seems to be spend spend spend and lower taxes. The democrat line seems to be spend spend spend but lets raise some taxes. Neither are great but one is better than the other. Democrat spending also tends to be on social services which have a greater benefit than more military spending. Republican foreign policy is atrocious. Republican stances on gay marriage and abortion always have me looking for an opponent who supports true civil rights.

If I could find a political party that had some sound social and economic policy along with heavy protections for civil rights, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.
Until then, I pick the least offensive and vote that way.

just in case you care. :)

RockyMtnTactical
January 18, 2013, 08:00 PM
He would sign it, don't be naive.

Seattleimport
January 18, 2013, 08:22 PM
Well articulated, Clean97GTI. That pretty much sums me up as well.

I do get the feeling that this is all a massive bit of misdirection. Executive Orders have little actual effect, and the NRA's massive political donations will keep any serious gun legislation from going anywhere. It's all a lot of noise.

Meanwhile, megabanks like HSBC admit to laundering money for terrorists and drug cartels, and they get a minor (to them) fine and no criminal prosecution. *That's* what we all--Democrat, Republican, RKBA proponents and opponents--should be getting upset about. We'd be united by outrage.

To prevent that unity, the politicians that gave this megabank permission to commit treason distracted us with a media circus by introducing the #1 most contentious issue in politics.

PT92
January 18, 2013, 08:48 PM
I respect everyone's right to have and voice their respective opinions and I expect the same reciprocation.

That said, I just want to go on record as saying that IMO a vote for Obama is a vote against The Second Amendment :barf: nothing more, nothing less. He is the single biggest threat to this basic fundamental right in my lifetime (46yrs.). When he was running for office he admitted to a very strong anti-2A position during his tenure in IL. Government--I began to research his record there and subsequently concluded that he was even more to the left on 2A than the Clintons :eek:.

His AGOTUS Eric Holder's abomination and utter bungling of "Gun" related matters in Fast & Furious is but one more example of their absolute malfeasance. I highly recommend Katie Pavlich's book for proper perspective/illumination of F&F.

Suffice it to say that I will indeed continue to feverishly do everything within my power to oppose this current Administration's assault against our Constitutional Rights (HIPAA Laws IMO have now been violated by the Administration's demands that Doctors now "report" gun owners to the Government)..

I do, however, agree with the statements that the Republicans and the Democrats are equally incompetent relative to economic issues but that is not a matter of this particular forum.

Now, onto the weekend...

Alaska444
January 18, 2013, 08:50 PM
Hacker, no disrespect meant but while 2A is an issue I stand firmly on so too is my stance on abortion (against), same-sex marriage (against) and a host of other issues as well. I recognize the separation of Church and State as vital but also know that a certain broader morality has always been decreed by law as the base of any society.

When an individual steps out onto the political stage, he is representative of more than self if choosing R or D or G and their respective platforms. We elect individuals not to do our bidding as some may believe but rather as best choice in voting their own conscience. Yes, character counts. In reviewing political platforms I find no evidence of any moral fiber within the Democrat Party. Therefore a person choosing to identify with the party who does not toe the line is either lying to them or lying to you.

To me, voting in a wolf who swears to uphold sheeps' rights is denying the nature of the beast who chooses to run with the pack. My two cents.
An interesting study is how the founders viewed this so called "separation of church and state" which is not in the constitution. They viewed it 180 degrees different than today where in their day, it was a prohibition of government influencing religion. Today, the government views it as a prohibition of religion influencing government. It wasn't always that way.

Likewise, their views on the 2A are 180 degrees different from the founding fathers as well who said nothing about hunting in the 2A.

mrvco
January 18, 2013, 08:51 PM
It would make more sense that BO's goal is not to go head-to-head and take the guns, but to put gun owners (and other undesirables, e.g. smokers, fat people, drug addicts, etc.) into a high-risk pool and decline healthcare coverage when they need it.

Basically find ways to penalize people for their behavior (gun ownership) in an attempt to change their behavior (get rid of their guns).

Alaska444
January 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Because I tend to disagree strongly with most republican positions on social and economic issues. I myself am not registered as a democrat but I did vote for Harry Reid the last couple times I could as well as twice for Obama. The reasons are simple. The republican line on economics seems to be spend spend spend and lower taxes. The democrat line seems to be spend spend spend but lets raise some taxes. Neither are great but one is better than the other. Democrat spending also tends to be on social services which have a greater benefit than more military spending. Republican foreign policy is atrocious. Republican stances on gay marriage and abortion always have me looking for an opponent who supports true civil rights.

If I could find a political party that had some sound social and economic policy along with heavy protections for civil rights, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Well, if you voted for Obama, then you can't separate that out when it comes to his long known stance on the 2A. This is a gun forum, so I can't address much on the Obama foreign policy or his economic measures, but they truly make no historical sense whatsoever.

9mmforMe
January 18, 2013, 09:36 PM
Good video, hi-power!

While I was there at the vid site I took the time to watch the old Jesse Ventura vid with Piers Morgan. I must say that I am a democrat, proud gun owner, Christian and I find it very hard to love Piers Morgan as Christ would have me do. What a tool!!

Hacker15E
January 18, 2013, 11:59 PM
Hacker, no disrespect meant but while 2A is an issue I stand firmly on so too is...

<snip>

I was making note that there are wolves who would devour the RKBA at both ends of the political spectrum, and there are also strong RKBA supporters at both ends of the spectrum.

If we care about ensuring the longevity of the RKBA, we had best look to allies everywhere and not discount some because we do not happen to agree with their beliefs on other topics.

RetiredUSNChief
March 15, 2013, 08:12 PM
Perhaps the tide is turning in the clamor to ban assault weapons and other gun control measures. Even ultra-liberal Al Franken is softening his stance on an AWB. Hopefully they get the message loud and clear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/01/17/al-franken-undecided-on-assault-weapons-ban/

Unless "softening his stance on an AWB" includes a complete turnaround and an avid support for the 2nd Amendment, then in my opinion all he's doing is backing down to the point where he's "just gonna chip a little bit away from our rights for now". Which is still wrong.

But a weakening is still a weakening and I'll take what we can get.

jerkface11
March 15, 2013, 08:16 PM

Franken is not a second amendment supporter. He still wants a magazine ban and universal background checks.

USAF_Vet
March 15, 2013, 08:17 PM
And he just voted for the AWB in committee.

jerkface11
March 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Wanting it to come to a vote is one thing voting for it is another.

BBQJOE
March 15, 2013, 08:22 PM
I didn't think Franken was that funny on SNL, and looking at his current stance, he seems funnier to me now.
I don't mean ha ha funny.

Hunter991
March 15, 2013, 09:34 PM
Frankin supports gun bans. But he is worried about reelection in just a few years. Throw this idiot out!

DammitBoy
March 15, 2013, 09:44 PM

Finding either party in power the "least offensive" is quite the trick - you have to fool yourself into believing you made a good choice, when there is none.

I could not in good conscience vote for either Romney or Obama for any of their policies, so I voted Libertarian. From your comments, it sounds like you should "find" the Libertarian party.

Ohio Gun Guy
March 15, 2013, 09:45 PM
The democrats have been laid bare, and still some refuse to see it....

The FIRST chance they got, were talking about BANS AGAIN. Is there any doubt if they controlled the House in any numbers that this would not be on the Presidents Desk Already. Some wont vote for it, ONLY because it wont go through, they'll beat their chests and pro-gun guys will keep voting for them....then if the situation is right, they will screw you so fast, and Constitutional questions will be YEARS away, pending challenges...

STOP VOTING FOR THEM!

Lex Luthier
March 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
He will say anything to get re-elected.

InkEd
March 15, 2013, 11:27 PM
Sounds to me like he is all for an AWB! He is only bitinig his tongue for election reasons. Period.

jamesbeat
March 15, 2013, 11:51 PM
someone should remind him about that day and ask him to read the 2a out loud

Good idea. In fact, all politicians who say that they support the Second Amendment, but... should be made to read it out loud before they spout their nonsense.

PT92
March 16, 2013, 01:09 AM
Here's what's sad IMO:

That we are here discussing the fact that a former SNL cast member with absolutely no political background whatsoever (zero credentials) is now a sitting United States Senator is not even mentioned or considered as a matter of concern :confused:.

The End of Days has got to be near with what is happening in Washington and the Nation @large...

hso
March 16, 2013, 01:12 AM
He voted to pass the Feinstein AWB out of the Judiciary Committee to the Senate.

That's enough to replace him come reelection.

messerist
March 16, 2013, 01:21 AM
I received the typical "canned" response to my numerous e-mails to his office. He should be a hockey player the way he skated around the issue. My other Senator, Amy Klobuchar has never responded to my letters. How is that for representation....and we pay them for what they do!

toiville2feathers
March 16, 2013, 01:34 AM
A lot of Democrats support the RKBA. Just because there is a R behind their name don't mean that they are pro-gun.
President Nixon believed that no citizen should be able to own a firearm, G W Bush said in his campaign for the second term, he stated that if congress renewed the AWB he would sign it. Luckily they never put it in front of him. We wouldn't be having this conversation now.
All the anti's have to do is get the RKBA supporters snapping and snarling and pointing fingers at each other. Get one political belief to alienate the other political belief and the anti,s battle is half won by us and we have displayed our ridiculously poor solidarity on the RKBA issue to the whole world.

r1derbike
March 16, 2013, 01:49 AM
AWB=sacrificial lamb if it tanks. Harry Reid has bigger ambitions; Universal Background Checks.

We have a long fight with this and other anti legislation.

Keep those cards/letters/emails rollin'!

HorseSoldier
March 16, 2013, 01:56 AM
A lot of Democrats support the RKBA. Just because there is a R behind their name don't mean that they are pro-gun.

Both living down in the South and living up here in AK, that's my conclusion as well (especially up here). While the Democratic party leadership -- dominated as it is by persons from the big blue electoral states like Cali and NY -- may be anti-gun in their outlook, I'd still take most Deep South Democrats (even if I never voted for them) on guns over Mitt Romney (R) or Michael Bloomberg (R -- or at least used to be) on the issue of guns and gun control every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Ohio Gun Guy
March 16, 2013, 10:07 AM
Yes but many of the democrats have a nasty habit of voting party line, because their leadership threatens to withdraw party support in the next election...

Not a huge fan of republicans, and the reasons mentioned above, likely cost the R's the last presidential election....

But If the Dems had control of the house and senate, we would no doubt be talking about the bill the President was about to sign, due to all the D's falling in line.

Justin
March 16, 2013, 11:04 AM
A lot of Democrats support the RKBA.

Yeah, like in the Colorado Senate when a whopping two Democrats voted against some of the gun control proposals.

Akita1
March 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
Echo that - an "I" next to my name

hi-tower
March 16, 2013, 05:32 PM
He can change his tune all he wants. He was on the list of people to support this from the beginning. He will not get my vote in the next election. We better not forget it either. He needs to go in MN. Just like some of the state Senators and Legislators. I do not get to vote for them though as the one I have is trying to push a NRA backed one through now but it is not getting heard.

beatledog7
March 16, 2013, 07:13 PM

There are pro and anti gun people in both parties, but how many Republicans are drafting and pushing anti-gun bills?

mookiie
March 16, 2013, 07:18 PM
The republican line on economics seems to be spend spend spend and lower taxes. The democrat line seems to be spend spend spend but lets raise some taxes. Neither are great but one is better than the other. Democrat spending also tends to be on social services which have a greater benefit than more military spending. Republican foreign policy is atrocious. Republican stances on gay marriage and abortion always have me looking for an opponent who supports true civil rights.

I completely agree very good points.

hillbilly
March 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
Both Bill Clinton and Al Gore were Southern Dems with zero anti-gun history until they took the White House. Bill pushed hard for 1994 AWB. Gore cast the tie breaking vote for it in the senate. I have voted against ALL Dems ever since. Check the 2012 Dem party platform. Dems are the party of gun control.

jerkface11
March 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
When people say not all democrats are for gun control they mean the voters. Pretty much all the politicians are.

SpentCasing
March 17, 2013, 02:13 PM
Here's what's sad IMO:

That we are here discussing the fact that a former SNL cast member with absolutely no political background whatsoever (zero credentials) is now a sitting United States Senator is not even mentioned or considered as a matter of concern .

Maybe because a lot of people are sick of professional politicians? Are normal citizens with "absolutely no political background whatsoever" such a bad thing to represent... the people? Garbage in garbage out.

But I guess Im doomed anyways because I despise R social stances and despise D 2A and military stances.

TheDaywalkersDad
March 17, 2013, 05:25 PM
Sounds like he's trying to walk the reelection tightrope. He only won on the slimmest of margins to begin with.
If you call getting elected through voter fraud, "Winning."

Skylerbone
March 17, 2013, 06:22 PM
But I guess Im doomed anyways because I despise R social stances and despise D 2A and military stances.

The bane of a party system is that from the very beginning there have been disagreement on interpretation of our Constitution. They have lead to an overwhelming number of subsequent laws that we now see as commonly accepted and irreversible. We see these entitlements as having the effect of law while knowing they are unlawful yet many still champion the cause of "social justice" or the mistaken belief that dependence creates responsibility. Traditional belief holds that within a society large enough for division of labor that all persons hold a vital role in contributing to their own betterment and, as an extension, to their society's betterment. Any member who deliberately contributes nothing while deliberately detracting from fellow Citizens does so without my blessing. I hold that fish are bountiful while certain politicians seeking to extort power (control) and money hold that the fish I catch belong to society and must be shared and shared alike. That I must give a man a fish every day while he refuses to fish is preposterous. Gun control, healthcare takeover, the global warming hoax, all are part of an agenda of societal control. Please don't confuse such nefarious efforts with helping others, especially given the track record of all such efforts.

clutch
March 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
Since I don't think this will make it through the house, I'd want Franken to vote his conscious and Minnesotans decide how to react to that. I have more respect for those that declare then those that sit the fence. It eliminates uncertainty from the equation.

HKGuns
March 17, 2013, 11:20 PM
as well as twice for Obama

Then you are beyond hope for numerous reasons. I can't believe you'd even admit that on this forum.

barnbwt
March 18, 2013, 01:34 AM
Republican stances on ----------- and ----------- always have me looking for an opponent who supports true civil rights.*

So you turn to a party actively trying to dismantle a constitutionally enumerated right? Neither the R's or D's are doing very well at...well, pretty much anything at this point. But one of them is right now encouraging external interference in local elections, implementing unconstitutional statutes that are themselves criminally ill-written, and mounting the largest example of blatant state-run propaganda I've seen in my life (re-tooling the Prez's reelection campaign to promote his policy initiatives while he's in office).

If you can't bring yourself to vote for the lesser of two evils, then vote for the lesser of three (or four). At least you won't be supporting the most immediate threat to (again) a right specifically delineated in the fundament of our system of government.

TCB

*the specific topics are irrelevant and distracting from the immediate threat to the 2nd Amendment. Suffice it to say neither topic mentioned by the poster is a Constitutionally protected right that would have parity with the 2nd

holdencm9
March 18, 2013, 10:25 AM
Maybe because a lot of people are sick of professional politicians? Are normal citizens with "absolutely no political background whatsoever" such a bad thing to represent... the people? Garbage in garbage out.

I was going to say something along these lines. Although, "former SNL cast member" isn't exactly a regular person either. Sadly the days of joe shmoe citizens deciding to run for elected office are probably behind us, it's a world of professional career politicians now. You either have to be a celebrity, or make it a lifelong career pursuit.

Carl N. Brown
March 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
What do professional, life long politicians know about the real lives of real people, or even how the real world works? No wonder we have so many useless, wasteful, counterproductive laws and policies.

The majority of criminals get guns from smugglars, fences, burglars, fellow criminals, "unregulatable sources" in "hard to control ways" according to the NIJ felon survey.

The vast majority of gun owners are lawabiding citizen who acquire guns legally.

So, the answer to gun crime and gun violence is to target the lawabiding and pile restrictions on legal sources.

We who live in the real world see that policy as insane and disconnected from reality. Party ideologues see it as insync with the party platform.

Tim the student
March 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
That we are here discussing the fact that a former SNL cast member with absolutely no political background whatsoever (zero credentials) is now a sitting United States Senator is not even mentioned or considered as a matter of concern

And yet I trust a career politician less than I do an actor.

PT92
March 18, 2013, 04:49 PM
And yet I trust a career politician less than I do an actor.
Pick your poison...

taliv
March 18, 2013, 04:53 PM
devolving into R vs D and going nowhere...

If you enjoyed reading about "Al Franken Blinks on AWB" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!