Barrel chop

PDA

ZVP
January 17, 2013, 06:05 PM
I have been looking onto buying another Ruger Single Six but this time with the 4 5/8" bbl but the cost is getting way up there! So I decided to have my 6" cut down.
The only needed function would be cut remount the front sight andre-crown it.
Can anyone suggest a good barrel crown angle? I have herd there are several styles.
Thanks,
ZVP

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel chop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
January 17, 2013, 06:56 PM
I seriously doubt that the angle is half as important as having it as square to the bore axis as possible. I've seen any number of handguns and rifles that are classed as accurate target shooters that have a variety of angles. The key in each case is that they appeared to have been cleanly cut using a lathe or similar machining operation and no following operations done to them.

Now a Single Six barrel is going to look a little funny if you try for a 90 stepped crown on that small barrel wall. So likely an 8 to 11 degree angle out to a pleasingly rounded or multi facet "almost round" crown is going to look about right. The key being to line the bore axis up in a lathe to a fine degree.

Remllez
January 19, 2013, 10:23 AM
ZVP,

Heck as long as you were chopping....should've went to three inches! That woul be most cool. Brownells and Midway got you covered for cutting and crowning your new barrel, but I believe the best ones are done on a lathe. Like BC says its got to be square or it just won't be there.....:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel chop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!