Would you give up your gun rights?

PDA

justice06rr
January 17, 2013, 07:36 PM
Hypothetically speaking, would you give up your gun rights (or just some of them) in exchange for something else that is important to you??

This question popped into my head and wanted to see what you guys think. Its unrealistic of course, but humor me.

For example, would you give up some of your gun rights to own high-cap mags over 10rds if someone was to give you 10million dollars? Obviously you can still shoot shotguns, some pistols (1911's etc), 50BMG, unlimited choice of bolt action rifles, etc. Of course with that $ you can buy as much ammo you want and even your own private 1000yard range.

Or would you give up some of your gun rights (say to shoot NFA items or open carry) if you moved to a nicer place like Hawwaii, etc.?

Or, more seriously, would you give up all your gun rights to cure the cancer of your child or spouse?

Tough and trivial questions, I know. lets see what some of you fine folks think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you give up your gun rights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer_Freak
January 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
If I thought it would end violent crime I would be the first to turn in my guns. History says the only way to end violent crime is to be capable of more violence than the criminals think is fun.

skeeziks
January 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
This is the most rediculous thing I've seen in a long time and I will not dignify it with a response whatsoever.

floydster
January 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
What is the HighRoad coming too???

Smokeyloads

Cosmoline
January 17, 2013, 07:42 PM
My personal rights are one thing. The issue is *THE* right to keep and bear arms. And none of us have any right to bargain that away for everyone. Legislators need to be reminded of this I think.

If you want to sell your iron for cancer research you are free to do so. Leave other people's guns alone and there won't be a problem.

TennJed
January 17, 2013, 07:42 PM
My familie being cancer free? Without a doubt.
$10,000,000.00? yes
Move from Mississippi? Heck No. I already live where I want to live

JVaughn
January 17, 2013, 07:44 PM
No. Any gains you take from this exchange will be in danger of being taken from you when you can't defend yourself.

That being said, I mean that for giving up the right for everyone. I would give up my personal rights to just about anything to save my family from cancer or whatever; but not he rights of he whole country. I assume the rest of you can defend freedom without me if I have to exercise my trade to save my wife or child. At least long enough for me to get an enemy rifle.

Caliper_RWVA
January 17, 2013, 07:47 PM
Flat out NO.

Will my children and grandchildren each get their own 10 Million dollars? (plus inflation). Will they even consider that a fair deal? Personally, I'm still angry about the 1934 NFA restricting private ownership of full auto when the guns that many of the high profile crimes were committed with were stolen from the Government. That infringement was made over 40 years before I was born.

This isn't just about us here and now, it is about preserving what we have and making it better for our posterity.

beatledog7
January 17, 2013, 07:49 PM
My personal rights are one thing. The issue is *THE* right to keep and bear arms. And none of us have any right to bargain that away for everyone. Legislators need to be reminded of this I think.

Key point. If a person doesn't like the idea of owning a gun, he can choose not to own one; I can't change that and wouldn't anyway. Why does he have say in deciding how I decide?

chipcom
January 17, 2013, 07:56 PM
You have two kids...you can save one of them, the other must die. Choose.

geesh

skeeziks
January 17, 2013, 07:56 PM
There is nothing in the Bill of Rights protecting our right to drive.

chipcom
January 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
"They" have a say in how fast you drive and practically everything else in your life, so why not guns? The Supreme Court has ruled that the First Amendment can be restricted, you know.
So if the supreme court rules that it's ok for me to boil your wife and wape your wabbit, you're gonna be ok with it, right?

hso
January 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
That's an absurd question since "I" can't give up "my" gun rights for personal profit.

What can be done is I can give up ALL OUR GUN RIGHTS by prostituting myself and my principals. You don't betray your rights, but you betray the rights of everyone when you do away with rights.

tyler500e
January 17, 2013, 08:25 PM
ridiculous question.

Liberty or death.

Adam the Gnome
January 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
I will give up mine like everyone else. As soon as the Dr calls time of death!

JBrady555
January 17, 2013, 08:27 PM
This is the most rediculous thing I've seen in a long time and I will not dignify it with a response whatsoever.
Well you kinda did, lol. Sorry I had too.

303tom
January 17, 2013, 08:29 PM
Not on your life or mine......From my cold dead hands Mr. President.................

chipcom
January 17, 2013, 08:35 PM
hso, I am darned proud to meet you...well stated.

Carl N. Brown
January 17, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hypothetically speaking, would you give up your free speech rights (or just some of them) in exchange for something else that is important to you??

Or would you give up some of your fourth and fifth amendment rights if you moved to a nicer place like Bugtussle, etc.?

Or, more seriously, would you give up all your sixth amendment rights to cure the cancer of your child or spouse?

I know what I think of this, but the words to express how I feel are not very high road.

KMatch
January 17, 2013, 09:01 PM
If you give me $10 million, sure, I'll give up the rights. Afterwards, I'd go buy all new guns as now being rich, the same laws wouldn't apply to me and it'd all be good. The rich don't follow the same rules, remember?

OptimusPrime
January 17, 2013, 09:03 PM
A hot ham and cheese sandwich. Mmmmmm.

we are not amused
January 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
This one of the most stupid and insulting questions I have heard posed.

I may have the right to give up my personal freedoms, I do not have the right to give up the personal freedoms of others.

And to quote one of those old, out of touch, no longer relevant old dead white guys we know from history as the Founding Fathers, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Speaking from experience, those that do attempt such trades, loose both.

blkbrd666
January 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
If you give me $10 million, sure, I'll give up the rights. Afterwards, I'd go buy all new guns as now being rich, the same laws wouldn't apply to me and it'd all be good. The rich don't follow the same rules, remember?

I declare a winner!!!

22-rimfire
January 17, 2013, 10:35 PM
Hypothetically speaking, would you give up your gun rights (or just some of them) in exchange for something else that is important to you??

Hypothetically speaking, no.

Teachu2
January 17, 2013, 10:36 PM
Yet you DID....

Prophet
January 17, 2013, 10:44 PM
Nope. Because I can't give up my natural God-given rights. It is impossible. I can however choose not to practice my rights and can allow them to be denied to me.

But as someone else said, I would put every weapon I own on a chopsaw tomorrow if I could be guaranteed that it would end violence and tyranny. Unfortunately it is not that easy.

barnbwt
January 17, 2013, 11:32 PM
Well, the question isn't helpful, insightful, or sincere, and seems much like troll bait.

For example, would you give up some of your gun rights to own high-cap mags over 10rds if someone was to give you 10million dollars

That 10mil wouldn't be worth much after it was printed for every other gun owner in America (as well as everyone else for good measure. After all, if the Fed was throwing out cabbage like that, everybody would get in on it). The government flat out does not have anything to give us worth our Constitutional rights.

Oh, except maybe for the control of our State governments back from the Federal plutocracy; I might go for that (granted, I'm from Texas and not New York)

TCB

justice06rr
January 18, 2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the answers.

This is the most rediculous thing I've seen in a long time and I will not dignify it with a response whatsoever

So you don't have a mature enough answer or what?

Is guns the most important thing to you??? How about your family?

justice06rr
January 18, 2013, 09:09 PM
Well, the question isn't helpful, insightful, or sincere, and seems much like troll bait.

Think whatever you like. its a true question, not trolling by any means.

I'm just saying if gun rights is the most important thing for you, then that is your prerogative.

This is a personal question, so if you feel offended or whatever, then don't participate in the thread. I meant no disrespect, but its good to see how passionate some of you are about 2A.

I hope if you are those who felt strongly about it, you are also doing something about it....

zorro45
January 19, 2013, 02:08 AM
They are not mine to give away. I am in a position to pass on to my kids not just some pieces of steel, walnut, and plastic, but the knowledge about the entire Constitution and Bill of Rights, understanding how the government works, a little bit about history, also some skills about how to survive and be safe, and guns are just a small part of this. Also some gun/safety skills, respect for the natural world, how to handle difficult situations/people (shooting them is not the first response) etc. Hopefully with this background at least some of them will be able to carry this forward.

easyg
January 19, 2013, 02:34 AM
It doesn't matter what I would give up in exchange for what I would gain.

The real question is this:
Would I deny other U.S. citizens their 2nd Amendment Right for my personal gain?

And the answer is "No.".

Tim the student
January 19, 2013, 03:49 AM
I'd trade MY gun rights to save a loved one's life. But I'll OC a crossbow :neener:

OpelBlitz
January 19, 2013, 03:55 AM
Key point. If a person doesn't like the idea of owning a gun, he can choose not to own one; I can't change that and wouldn't anyway. Why does he have say in deciding how I decide?

And this, to me, is the most rational argument someone can make to a liberal wanting to get rid of your guns.

we are not amused
January 19, 2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the answers.

So you don't have a mature enough answer or what?

Is guns the most important thing to you??? How about your family?

While I can't speak for him, guns are very important to me, and the ability to defend my family is even more important.

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Apachedriver
January 19, 2013, 02:15 PM

This question popped into my head and wanted to see what you guys think. Its unrealistic of course, but humor me.

For example, would you give up some of your gun rights to own high-cap mags over 10rds if someone was to give you 10million dollars? Obviously you can still shoot shotguns, some pistols (1911's etc), 50BMG, unlimited choice of bolt action rifles, etc. Of course with that $ you can buy as much ammo you want and even your own private 1000yard range.

Or would you give up some of your gun rights (say to shoot NFA items or open carry) if you moved to a nicer place like Hawwaii, etc.?

Or, more seriously, would you give up all your gun rights to cure the cancer of your child or spouse?

Tough and trivial questions, I know. lets see what some of you fine folks think.

First, you can't give away a right. You can only choose not to exercise it. The right is still yours.

Secondly, if I decided to sell out my choice to exercise any of my rights, I may as well sell out my heart, as the only thing left of a person after that action would be a soulless, fearful shell of a human.

And for those that think trading off for something, even a cancer cure, would be worth it, keep in mind that any deal with the devil always has an unseen trapdoor for you to fall through afterwards.

In the end, you'd still lose.

1911 guy
January 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
Quote from HSO:
That's an absurd question since "I" can't give up "my" gun rights for personal profit.

What can be done is I can give up ALL OUR GUN RIGHTS by prostituting myself and my principals. You don't betray your rights, but you betray the rights of everyone when you do away with rights.

Stated succinctly and accurately.

skeeziks
January 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
"First, you can't give away a right. You can only choose not to exercise it. The right is still yours."

Apachedriver is the only one to get it right. It's the reason that the 2nd reads like this:

"...Shall Not Be "Infringed." and not "...Shall Not Be Taken Away."

Queen_of_Thunder
January 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
HE double hockey stick NO.

ATBackPackin
January 19, 2013, 07:18 PM

If you want to sell your iron for cancer research you are free to do so. Leave other people's guns alone and there won't be a problem.
Bingo!!! Me giving up my own rights is my own choice to make, but I cannot and will not give away someone else's rights.

danoam
January 19, 2013, 08:15 PM
I would say if anything, I would want my father and grandfather to still be alive, but then again NO because they would both be very disappointed in me for forfeiting a fundamental human right .

WYOMan
January 19, 2013, 08:34 PM
NO! The world has many mass graves full of people who were convinced that thier compromise would result in a safer place to live, or that compliance would mean living instead of being shot down or imprisoned for not doing so. NO! NO! and NO!

newfalguy101
January 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
If you agree to exchange your rights for (?? ) and they decide to NOT hold their end...........how would you be able to enforce the trade???

jim243
January 19, 2013, 08:55 PM
no way

Mobuck
January 19, 2013, 09:12 PM
Well, I suppose the result would be the same. If someone hurt my kids or grandkids, I would probably not depend on the court system to resolve the situation. If I was caught and convicted, surely I would lose my right to own a firearm.
Is that the same as "giving up my gun rights"? I don't think quite the same.

slickab
January 19, 2013, 09:12 PM
Beam me up Scotty. There are no intelligent life forms down here!

Hokkmike
January 19, 2013, 10:56 PM
I have always found it a good policy not to answer hypothetical questions.

mrvco
January 19, 2013, 11:19 PM
W.T.E.

Onward Allusion
January 19, 2013, 11:25 PM

How old are you? 7?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you give up your gun rights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!