AK-74

PDA

FuzzyBunny
January 18, 2013, 05:47 AM
I assume the AK74 was designed in the 70s hence the 74 designation.
I may be totally off as I said "I assume"

If it was made that late in the game why is it corrosive?

If you enjoyed reading about "AK-74" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
January 18, 2013, 06:23 AM
Corrosive ammo has been produced well into the 90's.

max popenker
January 18, 2013, 07:16 AM
back then corrosive primers worked better under extreme cold conditions, and, I assume, were somewhat cheaper to made back in Soviet times.

remember, Soviet chemistry was not always up to its task. Also, making cartridges by billions put serious economic limitations on any change in manufacturing process.

TurtlePhish
January 18, 2013, 07:39 AM
Corrosive primers last pretty much forever. The soviet mentality up through the late 80s was to stockpile everything just in case WWIII happened, so they made corrosive that had a shelf life of several decades.

FuzzyBunny
January 18, 2013, 08:20 AM
What is the shelf life of properly packed and stored non corossive ammo?

I think you might be right, it may be a money thing.

BTW from what I have heard we have secret stashes of M-14s and M-16s plus billions of rounds and explosives still being stored in places in case of invasion. Most are clear or safe from projected USSR nuke strikes. But you know how rumors are. I would be kind of mad if we did not have that as a backup.

SilentScream
January 18, 2013, 08:41 AM
Properly packed/stored ammo will last decades with virtually no deterioration.

Snowdog
January 18, 2013, 08:55 AM
But you know how rumors are

I heard there are alien corpses on ice at Area 51. :neener:

Honestly though, I have used 8x56R manufactured in 1938 and gobs of 7.92x57 from 1949 with zero issues (no dead primers).
They do seem to last forever.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK-74" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!