One of the best new products at SHOT

PDA

JShirley
January 18, 2013, 11:49 AM
Yesterday I found something incredibly cool. I know many of us really enjoy Joerg's slingshot videos, and I have looked at a few of his designs and wished he sold them. Well, Beeman appears to have introduced a new product that will provide a reasonable alternative to bows, at least at short range. It's compact, and suggested retail is only $29.95. More here (http://www.shootingreviews.com/pocket-hunter-beeman-precision-scores-a-home-run/).

If you enjoyed reading about "One of the best new products at SHOT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave Markowitz
January 18, 2013, 12:52 PM
Very neat. I've seen arrow-firing slingshots before, but with Beeman selling one I could see them gaining wider acceptance. The 550 cord loop on it would allow you to use a mechanical release, contributing to cleaner shots.

Sam1911
January 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
Hey! I know a place we can test it! :)

hso
January 18, 2013, 04:41 PM
Golly, I have to play with one of those!

whetrock
January 18, 2013, 07:38 PM
Given the low MSRP I'd most likely be a buyer. I've always been intrigued by the sling bows, however never did take the initiative to make a DIY version like most. I like playing around with wrist rockets and slingshots anyhow so It'd make for a fun shooter if nothing else.

NG VI
January 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
That looks really, really fun, I bet my lady friend would love one!

glistam
January 18, 2013, 08:24 PM
I did the whisker-biscuit mod to my slingshot so it's a concept I'm familiar with, but the paracord loop looks a good idea, though it has pros and cons. Pros: Allows use of normal nocked arrows and mechanical release. Cons: Pretty much requires use of a mechanical release (or an Eastern thumb ring), as the loop will crush your fingers together at that draw weight.

JoergS
January 19, 2013, 05:22 AM
I really appreciate that commercial companies are now looking into slingshots (again). However, the Beeman design leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, with minor changes, this could have been a far better shooter that still could be sold at the same price.

First, arrow rest. It seems to me that this is really only a ring, without any whisker buscuit or other reliable means to center the arrow shaft. While this works, it means you will loose a lot of accuracy.

Second, choice of rubber bands. Beeman decided to use very thick, tough tubes instead of modern, thin flat bands. This means they loose efficiency. Flat bands would deliver about 35% more performance at the same draw weight, or the same performance at 65% of the draw (27 lb instead of 42).

Third, the dead play of these bands look like at least 10 inches. The length of the arrow limits the acceleration length, which is really only 20 inches or so (for a 30" arrow).

This could be changed by

a) Using the more stretchy flat bands, that would only need about five inches of band length

b) Forward extending the rubber attachment points by five inches

This would allow you to use 50% more acceleration length (30" instead of 20"). Accel length and draw weight are pretty much interchangeable in a slingshot. So by doing that, you'd get 50% better performance using the same bands.

These simple changes would lead to a slingbow that would be more accurate and TWICE as strong, at the same draw weight. For the same manufacturing cost.

I always wonder why these companies aren't calling me up when they are designing a new product. I always do such consulting for free, just to help the sport.

Here you can see what I am talking about:

http://i14.servimg.com/u/f14/16/32/46/92/beeman10.jpg

BruiseLee
January 19, 2013, 05:36 AM
I was really excited about this product, until I read Joerg's post. I just know a little bit about slingshots and bows, but I know enough that everything he says makes sense to me.

Joerg, you really should put a product. I have a friend with a booth if you can have it ready in time for SHOT Show 2014.

JShirley
January 19, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joerg, I asked the Beeman rep if he'd seen your stuff. I can pass on your information if he returns my email.

Jaymo
January 22, 2013, 12:14 AM
Is Joerg the dude on Youtube, with the shaved head and the cool Mad Max slingshots?
If so, Beeman or Barnett should definitely put him on the payroll. His creations are awesome.

NM. Yep, it's him.

DNS
January 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
I don't know...

Its got a pistol grip and you could "assault" somebody with it.:eek:

25cschaefer
January 22, 2013, 11:34 PM
I saw that product at the SHOT Show too and was thinking of all of the same improvements that Joerg suggested while I was standing there. I must spend way too much time watching his videos.

rio nueces
January 23, 2013, 12:28 AM
Made in China?
Beeman used to be the go-to name in air rifle's until they started selling Chinese stuff.

JShirley
January 23, 2013, 12:46 AM
I think some of you are lookin at this wrong. Just because this could be even better doesn't mean it's not still good. Geez.

Fiv3r
January 23, 2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the link, John. Looks like a really fun, compact, and economical way to fling arrows. For sub-$30, I think I'll get one. Hard to go wrong for that price.

heron
January 23, 2013, 03:20 PM
This isn't a new idea. Back in the early/mid 1960's I bought a slingshot -- don't recall the brand. Plug-ugly thing made of wood, no wrist brace, but it came with a little bent-wire arrow rest that attached to the uprights. Simpler than this one; to shoot an arrow, you just gripped it in the pouch, same as you would a ball. Anybody could make one like it.

j.kramer
January 23, 2013, 03:40 PM
not new idea i made them things in the 70s

the diference is i used two inch wooden barrel in front in the midle of the sling

but it wasnt my idea someone else showed me how to make them

they were very popular back then were we lived

we also made arrow slings from bic refill pencils they have metal part were you could put
3/16 needle worked great on squirrels and birds and rats

If you enjoyed reading about "One of the best new products at SHOT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!