Freezing at the range today.....

PDA

BrainOnSigs
January 18, 2013, 03:19 PM
......but I warmed a few steel plates up. :D

http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Things-that-go-BANG/i-8TJdtdf/0/XL/Me%20and%20the%20DD-1-XL.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Freezing at the range today....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wylie1
January 19, 2013, 01:05 AM
Florida? Uh, oh, nevermind.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 19, 2013, 05:13 AM
It seems the low in St. Petersberg was 48 yesterday, so this must be a joke. I'm not quite sure why it is funny to bundle up when it is warm out; maybe he is just taunting us by pretending it is cold. Maybe he went on a trip to some place chilly? The Danish container behind him might be a clue.

BrainOnSigs
January 19, 2013, 05:37 AM
Now to be fair.....48 degrees with a 20 MPH wind. I was outside before sunrise watching a pair of eagles. I was standing in the same spot for 2 hours with the wind in my face. I did take the jacket off once the running around commenced at the range later.

You cold weather types are welcome to join me in July. I will throw some water on you once you pass out from heat stroke. :evil:

Wylie1
January 19, 2013, 06:56 AM
It was 5 degrees F the last time I was at the range, granted I only shot 7 rounds. Left over hunting cartridges, just had to see how close my scope was after some machining to the scope rings bases.

I do asphalt for a living, although humidity isn't much fun, we do hit triple digits here in the summer months and the asphalt hits the ground in the area of 275F.
I'd be fishing my asre off down there though!

Update, no temperature here this morning it's 0 F.

BrainOnSigs
January 19, 2013, 08:13 AM
I'd be fishing my asre off down there though!

Come on down!

http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-6SvbXJ7/0/L/Garry%20Tarpon%20I-L.jpghttp://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-smwdSq2/0/L/Kyle%20Tarpon%20IV-L.jpg

http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-f5hvLDt/0/M/Kyle%20Tarpon%20I-M.jpghttp://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-5qnR5fm/0/M/Kyle%20Tarpon%20II-M.jpg

Wylie1
January 19, 2013, 08:50 AM
I still have yet to hook a Tarpon, is mine bigger than yours?
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/Wylie_Rods/randdsturgeon_jpg_w300h209-1.jpg
One of these days I'd like to head down that way with a pickup full of fishing rods and see how they do down there. I hear there is a lot of night fishing. I fished in Georgia a short time years back and Texas too. I think the bugs got the best of me in Texas.

travisd
January 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
48 is shorts and T-shirt weather.. in fact that was what I was doing at the range yesterday and it wasn't even that warm here, something like mid 40s with 30+ mph winds? All you southern people are hiliarous

BrainOnSigs
January 19, 2013, 12:09 PM
48 is shorts and T-shirt weather.. in fact that was what I was doing at the range yesterday and it wasn't even that warm here, something like mid 40s with 30+ mph winds? All you southern people are hiliarous

I visit your crazy state twice a year. I have gotten sunburned in October......

.....and snowed on....in freaking late May!

http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-Hfpp249/0/L/Misc%208-L.jpg

wanderinwalker
January 19, 2013, 12:32 PM
Pfffttt... 48* and breezy, send some of that nice up this way! :neener:

We've had offhand rifle matches at temperatures in the 20s. It's an interesting question: shoot with a glove on the trigger hand to keep your fingers warm or take the glove off so you can feel your match trigger? (Never did find a good solution to that...)

Today was a nice day to shoot at the range, about 32* and calm. But we've been having a crazy winter here in New England; week before last it was below zero one morning and the next day I was riding my bicycle in the afternoon after work. (Just under 40* for that... ;) )

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
48 degrees with a 20 MPH wind.
I tried looking this up on a wind chill chart. It said, "Seriously?" :)

You cold weather types are welcome to join me in July.
I just checked the average July temp here vs. there. 91 here, 92 there. I'm not sure that one degree would do me in, but you've got humidity, so I'll give you that.

It was 5 degrees F the last time I was at the range, granted I only shot 7 rounds
I thought about going out to shoot a couple of rounds of clays this morning, but at 9 F, staying inside seemed like a better idea.

48 is shorts and T-shirt weather..
Around here, it depends on which side of winter you are on. When it gets down into the 40's in September, people start grumbling about the cold and donning jackets.

If it goes up in the 40's in February, people talk about the heatwave and starts walking around in in t-shirts. :)

I am jealous about the fishing. I suppose my 10-lb test line I troll with around here probably won't be enough.

BrainOnSigs
January 19, 2013, 04:34 PM
Tough crowd. I was born and raised in central Florida. I was cold...I dressed appropriately....and was good to go.

I've been in Wyoming hunting pronghorn when it was in the teens.....rain...sleet...snow.... with a 30 MPH wind. I made the 240 yard shot...gutted the antelope in record time...and retired to the heat inside the truck ASAP.

Where do I turn in my man card?

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 19, 2013, 04:49 PM
I've been in Wyoming hunting pronghorn when it was in the teens.....rain...sleet...snow.... with a 30 MPH wind.
Cold, wet, and windy is the worst. I'd take a calm 12 degrees over a windy and wet 35 degrees any day.

Then again, I'd rather it be 100 with almost no humidity vs. 90 with 95%. Dry heat and dry cold is the way to go.

You put in the box right next to where I dropped off mine yesterday. I was complaining that my pickup doesn't have seat warmers like my SUV. :)

pikid89
January 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
after being in the 80s for a few weeks here in N Central FL, an over night drop to the low 40s with high humidity is pretty cold for us born and raised floridians, our blood is pretty thin haha

Wylie1
January 20, 2013, 12:30 AM
Okay I'm guilty too, been kicking myself for not putting in a higher heat thermostat in my pickup, just changed out the frickin water pump too!:banghead:

I forfeited my man card on the operating table last month, stupid itchy stiches!

afponiky
January 20, 2013, 06:34 AM
Haa haa,,,,

Good one

jonc
January 20, 2013, 10:25 PM
i went the other day and it was 5 below! I was the only one dumb enough to be shooting so i had the place to myself at least lol

Wylie1
January 20, 2013, 10:48 PM
I was the only one dumb enough to be shooting so i had the place to myself at leastThe one big advantage to daring the range in the cold. -5 forget it!

travisd
January 21, 2013, 07:25 AM
I visit your crazy state twice a year. I have gotten sunburned in October......

.....and snowed on....in freaking late May!

Yup that's our weather for ya. I will admit I'm freezing my ass off this morning 10 below and wind chill is -30. Jeep wouldn't hardly stay running backing out the driveway. Works gonna suck cuz we don't have any heat there lol

mcdonl
January 21, 2013, 09:33 AM
Hmm... 48... Your right, that WOULD give me a heat stroke :)

Typical range day around here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/2013-01-01105956_zps3bbe07b0.jpg

USAF_Vet
January 21, 2013, 09:03 PM
it is currently 7 degrees outside and we're getting a good amount of snow.

Not a range day.

Wylie1
January 21, 2013, 10:31 PM
I'm not going to post pictures of my targets, it was that bad today but I will tell you my best group was a hair over 1" from 100 yards. :o I may have over crimped my rounds or I could have the pleasure of rebedding, time will tell.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/Wylie_Rods/01212013497.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/Wylie_Rods/01212013496.jpg
:banghead:

travisd
January 21, 2013, 10:37 PM
4 below and I actually stopped at the range after work. Lasted all of 10 mins. Digging brass out of the snow gets cold pretty fast lol

OilyPablo
January 21, 2013, 10:42 PM
If I dressed like that at 48F, I'd be sweating profusely - and I get cold easily!

32F and freezing fog today. Not pleasant. Sort of a wet way to freeze to death. Think London, only wetter, colder and more trees.

It'll break soon. I know it will.

M67
January 22, 2013, 07:20 PM
You could send it to one of the 12 year old girls in this picture... :p

BrainOnSigs
January 23, 2013, 03:19 AM
The old saying "Not enough sense to come in out of the rain" needs to be applied here....just sub the word "rain" with the word "snow" or "cold". ;):D

If I have to strap on freaking snowshoes to service my target or worry about my gun's lubricant failing due to the freezing conditions.....then it's time to pop another marshmallow in the hot chocolate and put my feet up next to the fire.

BrainOnSigs
January 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
Since I lost my man card...I knitted a few of these last night....

http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Things-that-go-BANG/i-5g9m625/0/L/AR%20Booties-L.jpg

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
To be fair, M67 is posting a picture taken in July there. :)

mcdonl
January 23, 2013, 04:36 PM
Brain... knitting is a pretty good skill to have. Right up there with net mending.

Jorg... my picture was taken in July too :)

wanderinwalker
January 23, 2013, 06:12 PM
Brain... knitting is a pretty good skill to have. Right up there with net mending.

Jorg... my picture was taken in July too :)

Impossible! I know for a fact the black flies and mosquitoes would have lifted you clear off the ground in July. Unless of course you Maine-iacs have fewer flying insects than we do here in New Hampshire, and I doubt you'll admit to that. :p

Have an off day Friday, hoping it gets to about 20. Will be at the range even if it doesn't. ;)

mcdonl
January 23, 2013, 09:27 PM
Impossible! I know for a fact the black flies and mosquitoes would have lifted you clear off the ground in July. Unless of course you Maine-iacs have fewer flying insects than we do here in New Hampshire, and I doubt you'll admit to that. :p

Have an off day Friday, hoping it gets to about 20. Will be at the range even if it doesn't. ;)

You got me! I much prefer this time of year. I hate bugs when I shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrainOnSigs
January 24, 2013, 04:25 AM
Now if you want to discuss biting, stinging, and/or poisonous bugs...then I can match you stride for stride with Florida's offering.

Nothing like having one of these shimmy up your leg as you are pulling the trigger.... :what:

http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Sawgrass/i-S3w4pLw/0/L/Sawgrass%2021-L.jpg

Wylie1
January 24, 2013, 04:36 AM
That's one of the most handsome spiders I've seen. The Hobo spiders here sure aren't that colorful.

BrainOnSigs
January 24, 2013, 06:39 AM
That's one of the most handsome spiders I've seen. The Hobo spiders here sure aren't that colorful.
I have measure them before in excess of 6" long.....

Wylie1
January 24, 2013, 11:07 PM
Wow, that would spook a guy crawling up his leg at the range. Do you know what they are called? Almost make a pet out of one of those guys.

BrainOnSigs
January 25, 2013, 01:42 AM
Wow, that would spook a guy crawling up his leg at the range. Do you know what they are called? Almost make a pet out of one of those guys.
Golden silk orb-weavers. We call them Banana spiders in the south. I have been motocrossing in the woods and rode right thru a web. The spider was firmly planted on my goggles. A loud, girlish shriek was heard at the same time....which I later ascertained to be me. :eek:

M67
January 25, 2013, 01:52 AM
The old saying "Not enough sense to come in out of the rain" needs to be applied hereThere is that. And then there is the mid day sun. What was that saying? Mad dogs and Floridians? :)

The can of gun oil on my desk next to the computer says it's good for temperatures down to -55 C. That's -65 in King George. It doesn't get that cold where I live, if it did I guess I would just have to wipe the oil off and shoot the gun dry. Or make myself a cup of hot chocolate.

To be fair, M67 is posting a picture taken in July there.
Mid March.

waktasz
January 25, 2013, 04:48 PM
It will be about 15 and with a dusting of snow tomorrow in PA. Should I shoot the match I have scheduled?

BrainOnSigs
January 25, 2013, 06:00 PM
There is that. And then there is the mid day sun. What was that saying? Mad dogs and Floridians? :)

The can of gun oil on my desk next to the computer says it's good for temperatures down to -55 C. That's -65 in King George. It doesn't get that cold where I live, if it did I guess I would just have to wipe the oil off and shoot the gun dry. Or make myself a cup of hot chocolate.

Mid March.
Too funny! I was a member of the Mad Dogs triathlon club for a decade.

Wylie1
January 26, 2013, 01:24 AM
I ride too and just laughed pretty hard about riding through the spider's web! Thank you for the much needed laugh!

Who would have thunk it! (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?217910-Nephila-clavipes-%93FL-Giant-Golden-Silk-Orb-Weaver%94-amp-9-19-11-NEW-ARRIVALS-from-Tarantulaspiders.com!)

I seen 40 on the thermometer today! Just yesterday I84 was shut down because of ice.

BrainOnSigs
January 27, 2013, 02:27 PM
We've had offhand rifle matches at temperatures in the 20s. It's an interesting question: shoot with a glove on the trigger hand to keep your fingers warm or take the glove off so you can feel your match trigger? (Never did find a good solution to that...)

I use these out west. It has a seam stitched around the index fingers (on each glove) so you can cut the tip off so you can feel the trigger. The seam keeps them from unravelling.

Hatch "Shorty" Gloves
http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-DwdggLn/0/S/Hatch-6656-rw-14552-5115-S.jpg

mljdeckard
January 27, 2013, 04:28 PM
If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'. If it ain't snowin', we ain't goin'.

Mother nature is currently making up for last year's mild winter that left us so dry half the state burned last summer. -5, snow, fog, ice storms, more fog, more snow. If I wasn't in a cast, I would be out calling coyotes anyway, they don't hibernate.

OilyPablo
January 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
Might get up to 50F later this week. That will be so glorious. First outdoor plinking since this insanity got revved up in DC.

If you enjoyed reading about "Freezing at the range today....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!