Glock 18C v MP5-K for home defense

PDA

el Godfather
January 18, 2013, 02:56 PM
Dear THR:
Which would prefer for HD- Glock 18C or MP5-k? Both fire 9mm and compact. Glock 18C is more compact and can be fitted with front grip- so I think Glock 18C. I have no problem controlling it. Takes practice but its doable.

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 18C v MP5-K for home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NOLAEMT
January 18, 2013, 03:01 PM
for home defense no question. mp5K. Much larger gun, will be easier to control, especially with a single point sling to brace against.

TurtlePhish
January 18, 2013, 03:02 PM
There are stock adapters for Glocks that take pretty much any AR stock, so I'd say Glock. Couple the stock with the foregrip and you've got a great, very compact, lightweight SMG.

There are also very readily available, highly reliable factory 33rd magazines.

I really do envy you. You must have an amazing collection. I get jealous every time you start a new thread. :o

el Godfather
January 18, 2013, 03:15 PM
:)
Thank you

rcmodel
January 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
Neither one.

Using an NFA firearm for HD is doing no one any good.

Not you, maybe not the BG, and most certainly not all the other NFA firearms owners in the country after it hits the national news media.

rc

SharpsDressedMan
January 18, 2013, 03:37 PM
He doesn't live in the US. His rules are different. Now, back to the question: which one would be the BETTER weapon? I think the HK wouild be more controllable.

el Godfather
January 19, 2013, 11:23 AM
I agree Hk is as soft as it gets in auto, but the shear compactness and rare availability of Glock 18 makes it an awesome toy to say the least.

JShirley
January 19, 2013, 12:40 PM
In the house: MP-5. If you have the chance, though, you should check out the new SIG MPX (http://www.shootingreviews.com/sig-sauer-conquers-the-world/). I was very impressed.

Collector0311
January 19, 2013, 12:43 PM
Just out of curiosity...where in the WORLD do you live where these are available? And how much is a plane ticket? :)

TurtlePhish
January 19, 2013, 12:45 PM
I believe he's in Italy, and specially licensed.

Collector0311
January 19, 2013, 12:47 PM
Perfect, I love Olive Garden! Set aside a G18c for me, Godfather, I'll be there soon.

el Godfather
January 19, 2013, 02:43 PM
JShirly
MPX is not available.
Recently imported EVOIII by CZ though. Lets see how it check out. Still in clearence. Should have it by end of the month.

Italy is a great place with cheesey lasagna with extra sauce no meat.

MasterSergeantA
January 20, 2013, 12:28 AM
We can't HAVE the Glock here in the US, so the point is moot.

el Godfather
January 20, 2013, 08:40 AM
Well, if we loon at it that way, lots of topics will go moot since there is hardly and new (post ban) automatic contraption that can be owned in the US. However, some people are not it the US, have used them in services or have access to them as dealer sample etc.

tnuge
January 20, 2013, 08:43 AM
While those are some nice weapons, a shotgun is more effective and it would keep NFA (http://www.guntrustinfo.com) out of the limelight.

Aaron Baker
January 20, 2013, 08:47 AM
Guys! Reading comprehension. el Godfather is outside the US and can own all the full autos he wants.

Anything he does with them has nothing to do with the National Firearms Act, and it isn't relevant what we can't have in the US.

Aaron

pikid89
January 20, 2013, 09:00 AM
$5 says within the next 5 posts, someone mentions NFA :evil:

BBBBill
January 20, 2013, 10:46 AM
pikid89, you just did.... Lol!

greenr18
January 20, 2013, 01:13 PM
I wanna own all the full autos I want... :C

el Godfather
January 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
^thats how it should be.

MasterSergeantA
January 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
I agree, but that is not reality. And I agree that not discussing things that are simply moot might limit discussion. But since I can't have the Glock, there is no way for me to make an educated choice. The HK would be the only choice for me between the two.

mljdeckard
January 20, 2013, 06:10 PM
Neither.

If you shoot that G-18C indoors at night, you still won't be seeing when the police get there. And assuming you could get both of them, the G-18 is a LOT more expensive.

And while I love shooting MP-5s, and have had a lot of trigger time on them, I will never grab a handgun if I can get a long gun instead. Meaning, I would rather use any AR-variant carbine than an MP-5, if I can use anything I want.

I am also on the side that says the advantage gained by using an NFA item for defense isn't worth the extra risk that the DA is going to believe you were a little too enthusiastic about the idea. (Even in Utah.) I train my soldiers that they will almost never use anything other than semi-auto fire unless they are using the machine gun.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 20, 2013, 06:14 PM
And pika89 wins the bet! :)

steveb4c
January 20, 2013, 06:28 PM
The NFA applies to Italy too? dang

mljdeckard
January 20, 2013, 06:40 PM
(It came up a long time before that.)

Swing
January 20, 2013, 09:10 PM
MP5K, though the one with a folding stock (PDW) would be better. :D

Just wondering, what type of license does a gent in Italia need to have buzz guns? Grazie tanto!

jbrown50
January 20, 2013, 09:34 PM
The MP5-k would be my choice. More accurate and still very handy and manuverable in close quarters.

Can you get a suppressor for it in Italy?

PBR Streetgang
January 20, 2013, 09:35 PM
I'd take either if I could stock them....I'm not big on firing subguns without stocks,,,just not enough control for serious situations.

psyopspec
January 20, 2013, 10:03 PM
Between the two, the one with the longer barrel and the stock. If we opened up the field I'd opt for a rifle caliber.

dcarch
January 20, 2013, 10:19 PM
Wait, wait, wait. Back this truck up. El Godfather, you're getting the CZ EVO III? :what: You, sir, are a very lucky man. PLEASE post pictures.

-v-
January 21, 2013, 01:25 AM
Indeed! I think the EVO III blows the MP5k vs 18c argument out of the water.

el Godfather
January 21, 2013, 07:52 AM
:) Thank you
I will post picture upon taking possession.

Bubbles
January 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
Can you have a silencer? I'd take the MP5SD over the MP5K or G18C for home defense. Your ears and eyes will thank you afterward.

JustinJ
January 21, 2013, 03:13 PM
Definitely the MP5.

Is there any military or police force in the world that actually uses the Glock 18? I guess maybe one would with a stock attachment?

jogar80
January 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
MP5 for HD

Yelovitz_503
January 21, 2013, 05:21 PM
MP5-K, easier to control on full auto, heavier than the Glock so it'll take more of the recoil. Plus two hands holding the same thing (grip of Glock) will always be less stable than one hand holding onto each end (pistol grip and foregrip on the HK).

Not knocking the Glock though, and I guess if it's in a space as small as some of the homes in Italy that I went into then all you need is a little super-soaker like that. They're both bullet hoses but I'd probably go with the MP5-K if it were me.

dprice3844444
January 21, 2013, 08:03 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/03/04/how-to-make-your-glock-fully-automatic/ glock full auto sear is available

TurtlePhish
January 21, 2013, 08:13 PM
Is there any military or police force in the world that actually uses the Glock 18? I guess maybe one would with a stock attachment?

I've seen pictures of the French GIGN using them as sidearms.

Rob G
January 22, 2013, 02:06 AM
If I were going to use one or the other I'd probably just go with the Glock 18. Since we're talking home defense I'm picturing relatively short distances that will help with aiming. Well that and the ability to fire multiple rounds really quickly. So I'd generally prefer the more compact nature of the Glock.

I'd probably stick a laser on that front rail, aim a little low, and give it a good burst.

JShirley
January 22, 2013, 08:28 PM
Having a stock is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Trent
January 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Would just like to add, this thread makes me want to cry. :(

MP5-K.

Having shot both the Glock 18 and the MP5-K, the MP5 is more controllable.

Sure, you MIGHT be able to get the Glock 18 under control with a lot of practice.

But you don't practice at 2AM in a cloud of confusion and poor motor skills from being woken up abruptly by broken glass or a kicked in front door.

forestdavegump
January 22, 2013, 09:57 PM
I like the 30 round Glock mags alot:) The MP5 is easier to control for most:what:

Prince Yamato
January 22, 2013, 11:44 PM
Full auto Glocks are not hard to control. I think that is a myth perpetuated by those who haven't shot one. A G18 with a suppressor would be ideal.

JEB
January 23, 2013, 12:07 AM
i would have to go with the glock 18 just because i have had a lot of experience with glocks (not the 18 in particular though) over the years. the mp5k just seems like it would be really awkward to actually try to use without a butt stock, but then again i have never actually handled one...

RTR_RTR
January 23, 2013, 12:45 AM
How about an AA-12? A little large, but a lot more oomph :P

JShirley
January 23, 2013, 11:25 AM
If someone is suggesting that a stockless fully automatic pistol is easier to control than the same pistol firing semi-auto, they're pretty confused. :)

Brockak47
January 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
all laws aside, MP5K hands down would be better than a glock for clearing a home/CQB

razorback2003
January 25, 2013, 05:41 PM
I'd take the MP 5 because of the stock and foregrip.

What does it take to own one of these in Italy? Can you also carry a handgun in public? Sounds like your gun laws are better than some american states.

el Godfather
January 26, 2013, 12:43 AM
MP5-K does not have stock.

paintballdude902
January 26, 2013, 02:06 AM
el godfather, any chance u will post a picture of your collection.... i would be envious of you

el Godfather
January 26, 2013, 03:36 AM
Will do of K tonight

tacxted
January 26, 2013, 09:13 AM
I voted glock 18 simply because if you already own a g17/19/26 then you can share mags. For me the g18 would have to be equiped with a light, a stock and 33rnd mags.

If space is an issue and a g18 with a stock and 33rnd mag is to large to fit in the night stand, then I ask what is the point.
A g18 will empty the 17rnd mag in a blink. If your situation is not finished, you will have to reload.
If 33rnd mags cant be used I would rather have a g17.

FYI: Ive never shot or even handled a glock 18, just the 17 and 26.

el Godfather
January 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
Mp5-K in this picture.

razorback2003
January 26, 2013, 03:37 PM
How hard is it to get a license in Italy to own one of these?

MDW GUNS
January 26, 2013, 03:53 PM
I own both and I would take the MP5k.
The MP5k is just smother to shoot.
The magazine question is not a factor, since we talk about 30 vs. 33.

http://www.mdwguns.com/NFA_files/18a1.jpg

http://www.mdwguns.com/NFA_files/MP5KBta.jpg

el Godfather
January 26, 2013, 03:58 PM
I also own both and cz automatic as well that i sometime shoot with them.

Rockwolf66
March 4, 2013, 03:35 PM
Having some experiance with a FA Converted Glock 17 and having at least Handled a few MP5K. I would go with the MP5K for home defense. The MP5K is slightly larger but it's more controlable and Factory stock there is more modifications you can do with it.

Plus that Converted 17 Jammed on me and so far I have not seen a MP5 jam up close and in person. So yes i am slightly Biased.

Zoogster
March 4, 2013, 04:07 PM
It depends on the situation.

I am going to go against the majority and say the Glock 18.
The reason is that the MP5 is certainly better if you actually know you have an intruder.
If on the other hand you want a gun that will actually be with you more often and so available for an unexpected firefight then the Glock 18 fits the bill.

Consider that you cannot really stick an MP5 in the pocket, and probably won't answer the door with an MP5. The only time you would be likely to have it is if you actually had warning that an intruder had entered. At which point you would have the ability to go for a long gun.
In that situation a long gun is certainly a better choice.
A pistol on the other hand can be taken even if you expect no trouble, and remain unseen and startle nobody when you get company that turns out not to be a bad guy.
In a pocket or holster it can accompany you to check out the cat making noises, the neighbor ringing the doorbell, etc Without pulling a gun on anyone. While still being capable if needed.

hentown
March 10, 2013, 02:49 PM
Neither one.

Using an NFA firearm for HD is doing no one any good.

Not you, maybe not the BG, and most certainly not all the other NFA firearms owners in the country after it hits the national news media.

My primary purpose for acquiring a suppressor for my G17 is to use the G17, suppressed, as a nightstand gun. I don't believe there are any problems with dispatching society's parasites and predators with an NFA device/firearm. I'm also planning on suppressing my .300 Blackout AR. I don't believe there'd be any problems, if I used that weapon for s.d., either.

Most homeowners don't have the option to use a G18 for home defense, as I don't believe there are any transferable G18's in the U.S.

TSH77769
March 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
I have taken a couple of classes/certifications as an MP5 operator and used to work for an NFA dealer where we had a stable of MP5's. I also have almost 2,000 rds of training on the Glock 18C and have several more certs for pistols, using Glocks primarily.

First, I will say that there is a dramatic difference between a converted G17 and an actual true factory G18C.

I would actually take the G18C over the MP5K.

The main reason is that I have a lot more time under my belt with the manual of arms for a pistol (and Glocks in particular) and I like to keep things as simple as possible and the manual of arms as similar as possible.

I also like to share mags between my pistols and my pistol caliber carbines or SMG's.

Mag capacity between the two is essentially tied.

Reliability tied.

Trigger quality goes to Glock.

Simplicty and ease of takedown and maintenance and parts and accessories availability and cost all goes to Glock.

Sight radius goes to the HK.

Sight options goes to the Glock.

Light/laser mounting on an MP5K vs. Glock is pretty tied.

Controllability goes to the HK.

Size and weight goes to the Glock.

Ability to use stocks is tied. But the variety of stock choies goes to the Glock.

Glock actually gets the nod on the stealth/PC appearance angle becasue it looks like a regular pistol.

Tsh77769

tepin
March 25, 2013, 06:41 AM
In many cases the guns used in self defense are often confiscated and MAYBE the owner will or will not get it back. I would never use my NFA firearm for defense for this reason... especially if we were talking about a machine gun that cost me $28K to purchase. I have a .45ACP, .38SPL and a 12GA next to the bed. If I cannot stop someone from entering the bedroom with all that while waiting for the cops then I have bigger problems. Just say'in. A suppressor would be an exception here.

I wonder if it is illegal to use a suppressor on a defense weapon then detach it and tuck it away before the cops arrive?

Rockwolf66
March 26, 2013, 04:12 AM
In many cases the guns used in self defense are often confiscated and MAYBE the owner will or will not get it back. I would never use my NFA firearm for defense for this reason... especially if we were talking about a machine gun that cost me $28K to purchase. I have a .45ACP, .38SPL and a 12GA next to the bed. If I cannot stop someone from entering the bedroom with all that while waiting for the cops then I have bigger problems. Just say'in. A suppressor would be an exception here.

I wonder if it is illegal to use a suppressor on a defense weapon then detach it and tuck it away before the cops arrive?
The guy who started this thread lives outside of the US and is permitted in his location to own automatic weapons apparently.

Also apparently he has local threats high enough to justify using automatic weapons.

bill3424
March 26, 2013, 11:00 AM
I'd take either in a heartbeat. An MP5 would absolutely be awesome.

razorback2003
March 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
What does it take to own these types of weapons in Italy? Can they be carried in public IF you legally own them?

I'm just curious because i thought Italy had pretty strict weapons laws, more strict than the US.

19-3Ben
March 26, 2013, 04:37 PM
delete. My snarky comment was addressed earlier!

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 18C v MP5-K for home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!