HELP! Winchester M74 problem with reassembly.

PDA

mach1.3
January 18, 2013, 09:59 PM
I decided to disassemble my rifle. I wanted to completely clean the magazine inside and out. I removed the magazine tube from the butt of the rifle. I then removed main assembly screw from the bottom of the stock and removed the barrel assembly from the stock. That I set aside. I then removed the screws from the trigger guard and removed the guard from the stock. I then removed the buttplate screws and gently removed the buttplate and external magazine tube from the stock. The 'U' shaped trigger spring fell out and the buttplate/tube assembly slipped right out.

Now, the problem is reassembling the buttplate/tube back into position. There is a spring set into a hole in the stock directly under the external mag tube--I can't seem to get the tube back in place. I'm assuming the spring must be compressed so the tube will slide over it and stay in place. I can't get the tube over the spring without the spring buckling out of position. Once I can get the tube/spring into position---I believe I can get the trigger spring reset. Please help!

If you enjoyed reading about "HELP! Winchester M74 problem with reassembly." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "HELP! Winchester M74 problem with reassembly." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!