870 Express Question?

PDA

powwowell
January 19, 2013, 11:30 AM
I have a 870 Express, 20 gauge, Youth model shotgun. I want to install a sling on it.

The magazine tube cap already has a hole in it. I have a couple of sets of Uncle Mikes swivels. When installing, the nut is too thick and is pushing the spring retainer (the "teeth") down and they are not engaging the cap

Can I use a thinner nut, or do I need to buy a new magazine cap, with new swivel hardware?

If you enjoyed reading about "870 Express Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
January 19, 2013, 12:03 PM
I'd just buy a new tube cap with a swivel pre-installed.

Do the 20ga and 12ga use the same cap? If they do, I've got a spare tube cap with swivel that I could send you if I can find it. I have no idea where it is, but I can take a look around.

MAKster
January 19, 2013, 01:09 PM
You can buy slings from Dicks that come with a new 870 cap with swivel.

rcmodel
January 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
Are you trying to use the knurled swivel stock nut?
Use a thinner hex-nut & blue lock-tight.

I have also used a standard swivel and cut a groove in the shank for a C-Clip inside the cap.

rc

powwowell
January 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
I don't have a desire to buy anything else, if I can use what I have.

Yeah, I was trying to use the knurled swivel stock nut, that comes with the "kit". I'll look for a thinner nut. And, the groove and the C Clip seems to be doable. Thanks rc.

If my jury rigging doesn't work out, I'll try the sling from Dick's. Thanks for the tip, MAKster.

TurtlePhish, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I run into a dead end on this.

jmr40
January 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
For about $2 I've installed these on all my 870's

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/588454/grovtec-sling-swivel-stud-pack-7-8-machine-screw-with-nut-3-4-wood-screw

You MIGHT have to enlarge the hole in the endcap by drilling it out a bit. Once you get the nut on the back of the machine screw put some lock tite on it to prevent the nut from coming loose.

Works exactly the same as buying a whole new cap and is a lot cheper.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 Express Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!