Airguns to get us through the shortages?

PDA

Guvnor
January 19, 2013, 06:19 PM
Was thinking of getting an air rifle to weather the current shortages. Can only imagine how long this panic buying will go on for. I cannot find .22lr on the shelves anywhere. Air rifle would be a low cost way to get your plinking/target shooting fix. And some states allow air rifles for small game seasons. i will be looking into it...just a thought.

If you enjoyed reading about "Airguns to get us through the shortages?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
January 19, 2013, 06:24 PM
I do it all the time. An old pump crossman with a pretty bad trigger makes me break position every shot and manage a trigger worse than any of my "real" rifles. Sight alignment drills are good, too, no matter the rifle or airgun. The principle is the same.

Pretty much, I'd say go for it.

r1derbike
January 19, 2013, 06:42 PM
I have 12 air rifles. Three pre-charged pneumatics (2 long guns, one pistol converted to a carbine) that I use exclusively for varmint and paper. Pump-ups, CO2, break-barrels. Went crazy. One match .177 cal. pistol. Years and years of collecting. 5 pistols from break-barrel, CO2, single-pump, multi-pump, pre-charged.

230RN
January 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
I've been practicing indoors with a bunch of airsoft clones for years and have an ancient Feinwrkbau break-action in .177 which is fun.

Also recently got a propane-powered "green gas" gun in MKIV persuasion that is so realisic in in feel, heft, and action that it's unbelievable. Too powerful for indoors, though.

Accurate, too. They've got some doohickey in the barrel that spins the plastic BB.

Terry, 230RN

MErl
January 19, 2013, 07:06 PM
230, I have one like that as well, a sig clone since that's what I use. Very good for draw-fire drills, trigger is nothing like a real gun.

It does take a stout target, I use 3" of the blue foam insulation backed by an old slab of drywall.

r1derbike
January 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
Accurate, too. They've got some doohickey in the barrel that spins the plastic BB.

Terry, 230RNLMAO! I have an old grenade box filled with 55 lbs. of HVAC putty bars, and use it to attach my targets. My pre-charged pneumatics give it a run for its money. My .22 cal. Benjamin Marauder with pellet head size I matched from Germany is the worst on it.

Guvnor
January 19, 2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of starting with the Benjamin 397 rifle. Is this a good starter air rifle?

KevininPa
January 19, 2013, 07:21 PM
Went from pumps to springers and finally an AirForce Talon SS. It's my main pest control gun now. Used to use .22s and a .410 before. Every couple of years I end up with a family of snakes in the concrete well house. I use a RWS springer pistol to clear that. Don't care about individual snakes. Families gotta go! The RWS is perfect. Just enough velocity to do the job without a lot of ricochet factor to damage anything. And I've had that a long time, I'm real good with it. Just wish I was as good with my FEG Hi Power. :o

KevininPa
January 19, 2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of starting with the Benjamin 397 rifle. Is this a good starter air rifle?
Excellent choice. Go for the .22 model though for pest control or some small game. Airgunners rule: .177 for feathers, .22 for fur. Headshots only for humane kills.

goldie
January 19, 2013, 09:54 PM
Ive had a beeman R1 for over 15 years,as well as a beeman P1 pistol, Feinwerkbau 80 pistol. always nice to have on a snowed in day,& 10.00 or less per 500rds for high grade pellets,& no restrictions.

MCK0704
January 19, 2013, 10:40 PM
I have a Daisy 822 (.22 multipump) that I got for Christmas when I was 14. I don't remember the last time I shot it.

I bought a Crosman 1077 last spring. It's a .177 12-shot rifle. It's OK, I wish I would have known about breakbarrels before I bought it, but wanted a repeating pellet gun.

I just bought a Crosman 1377 pellet pistol and fired a few shots through it. It has a cult following, and people love to modify them.

I also own a couple of airsofts, but they're more like toys than "weapons" because they barely dent a pop can.

Humakavula
January 19, 2013, 10:45 PM
A quality air rifle will do the trick for you. I wouldn't waste time or money on the toys though.

Cesiumsponge
January 19, 2013, 10:52 PM
Air guns are pretty economical to shoot even if you buy match pellets.

I shoot a .177" Anschutz 2001 and use match pellets. A 500 round can costs about $15 for decent match ammo. People think air guns are a joke until they see the 10-meter targets. The X-ring is 0.200" in diameter and you're using .177" pellets.

MCK0704
January 19, 2013, 10:57 PM
Another thing to be careful of are the tacticool air guns.

I've seen a ton of the Crosman M4-177 rifles at stores that are just a Crosman 760 pellet/BB rifle dressed up to look like an M4. The 760 costs $35-40 while the M4 costs at least $70.

JFrame
January 19, 2013, 11:07 PM
Not that I'd want to be limited to them, but my air-guns have been a wonderful adjunct to my gunpowder-firearm inventory for practice and pest control. I have a Beeman P1 pistol and a Diana RWS Model 52 .22 rifle -- the latter I've had for at least 15 years, and it is as accurate and powerful as the day I bought it.

Recon Ron
January 19, 2013, 11:10 PM
I have a .177 Gamo thats taken many a bird and rabbit.

1000FPS break barrel, 500rds for $6.

1 shot, 1 kill at 50 yards no problem

USAF_Vet
January 20, 2013, 12:01 AM
There is a thread over in NFW discussing air guns too. I have a few (two are really the kids'). If ammo costs and availability aren't more reasonable by spring, I'll be shooting them more. I was looking into getting a gas power pistol also.

goldie
January 20, 2013, 09:23 AM
There is a lot of fun shooting that can be done with airguns,too. those plastic army men,necco candy,are just some of the targets that are fun to shoot with airguns.No powder to breathe in, very quiet to shoot,they really have alot going for them.

JRWhit
January 20, 2013, 09:49 AM
SHHHHH,
Best keep quiet about this. We don't want em clearing those shelves too. This can be our little secret or the next thing you know we'll be paying $500 + for an airsoft pistol. :neener:

Mousegun
January 20, 2013, 10:02 AM
RWS model 48 here. If I had it to do again it would probably be the model 54 or model 56. They are springers in which the entire barrel is on a floating rail that slides back a bit to absorb the spring shock. This design enhances the accuracy of the guns tremendously but makes them very pricy.

If you can accurately shoot an air rifle, you can accurately shoot just about anything. The hold and follow through on an air rifle is paramount for straight shooting.

FiremanJim
January 20, 2013, 10:51 AM
LOL,

It's funny ya'll talking about airguns now that real guns are scarce.
I miss my AR so much that I'm buying a KWA Mk18 clone just because it's almost like the real thing. I also bought real gun furniture for it, like a vltor stock, KAC grip, Ergo grip Eotech sight,and Troy RAIL, just to dress it up.

It's sad really. T_T

But I'm hoping that when the craze dies down, I can take all the stuff off the airsoft gun and be able to put it on a REAL Mk18 clone.

Wont be the same till then. but at least I'll have something to fill the void.

xfyrfiter
January 20, 2013, 11:15 AM
I have been shooting air almost as long or longer than powder. 1'st was a daisy pump bb rifle. I practice almost exclusively offhand with my Gamo springer, and it will absolutely improve your rim and centerfire shooting. Follow through, trigger control and breathing are learned through reps, and muscle memory is almost instinct after 50+ years of shooting them.

JFrame
January 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
RWS model 48 here. If I had it to do again it would probably be the model 54 or model 56. They are springers in which the entire barrel is on a floating rail that slides back a bit to absorb the spring shock. This design enhances the accuracy of the guns tremendously but makes them very pricy.

If you can accurately shoot an air rifle, you can accurately shoot just about anything. The hold and follow through on an air rifle is paramount for straight shooting.

Yeah -- I wish I had bumped up to a higher model of RWS also. :(

Having said that, every RWS I've ever handled, from their lowest economy models on up, have been beautifully crafted machines.

parsimonious_instead
January 20, 2013, 01:37 PM
I grew up shooting air rifles, so I was already a decent shot by the time I moved up to firearms.
I also have owned airsoft revolvers and 1911 clones that funcionted realistically enough, that when I went to rental ranges and fired the "real McCoy" for the first time, I did reasonably well with loading/unloading and firing.

On a more serious note, this strikes me as a form of "settling for less." I shudder at the idea of a possible dark future in which air rifles are really common, firearms and ammo are rare, and one day someone in a legislative body somewhere says, "we need to license, limit and regulate these terrible air guns..."

Isaac-1
January 20, 2013, 01:56 PM
Like others have said air rifles can be usefull on small game, etc. I have a Marauder .25 PCP rifle, it fires a 28 grain pellet at 900 fps, this is fairly close the balistic performance of a .22 Short.

JFrame
January 20, 2013, 02:06 PM
On a more serious note, this strikes me as a form of "settling for less." I shudder at the idea of a possible dark future in which air rifles are really common, firearms and ammo are rare, and one day someone in a legislative body somewhere says, "we need to license, limit and regulate these terrible air guns..."

I can't speak for anyone else's intentions, but I just want to make clear that I am not advocating any sort of "settling for less." As I noted, I consider air-guns to be an outstanding adjunct to powder firearms, for inexpensive practice and for those instances when discharging a powder arm just isn't feasible -- and I have felt that way for a couple of decades prior to the current "scare."

parsimonious_instead
January 20, 2013, 02:50 PM
I can't speak for anyone else's intentions, but I just want to make clear that I am not advocating any sort of "settling for less." As I noted, I consider air-guns to be an outstanding adjunct to powder firearms, for inexpensive practice and for those instances when discharging a powder arm just isn't feasible -- and I have felt that way for a couple of decades prior to the current "scare."

Fair enough. Good point.

Ashcons
January 20, 2013, 07:04 PM
I think the Benjamin 397 is a great first choice for an air rifle. My dad picked one up at a yard sale when I was a kid. I didn't care for shooting the 870 or M77 he'd bought me for hunting, but I loved shooting that old air rifle.

goldie
January 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
Ive never seen it as settling for less, just another way to enjoy shooting. And many of these higher priced german airguns, like my Weihrauch HW97k has blueing, precision rifling,& woodwork equall to if not better than some cartridge firearms..

justice06rr
January 21, 2013, 02:35 AM
Its not the same, but if you really can't find ammo anywhere then go for it.

I would get BB guns, air rifles, even paintball if you choose.

BHP FAN
January 21, 2013, 03:16 AM
I have a cheap chinese SKS trainer in .22, and a ''Winchester'' break barrel .177, both of which can break NECO candies at fifteen yards. lots of Airsoft, too. I'm 54. It's not so much to save ammo, as it is I think my neighbors would call the cops on me if I was shooting the .303 in the back yard.

CowtownShooter
January 21, 2013, 10:52 AM
I got one of these two years ago as a Christmas gift from the owner where I work. Adjustable power setings up to 1200fps(on my chrony), quiet and dime sized groups at 35 yds indoors.

http://www.airforceairguns.com/CondorSS-s/73.htm

Dont work for them even though they are made locally to me, Just a very satisfied user.

ApacheCoTodd
January 21, 2013, 11:13 AM
I love the air guns that pass through my hands from time to time but never really get the same experience as I do from say, even a .22. I guess that's why none of the air/gas guns have really stuck around beyond the novelty phase.

Right now it's a monster of a Mauser "Sniper" rifle from an estate sale but as it is literally the longest long gun I currently shoot - it'll be down the road too while the favorite .22s never leave.

gunsandreligion
January 21, 2013, 04:47 PM
I use a airsoft ar15 for basement plinking sometimes. Although 90% of that is for the happy mode that you cant get without class3. A hanging blanket helps keep the bbs from spreading all over.

MCK0704
January 21, 2013, 05:02 PM
That's true about full auto airsoft. It's also much cheaper than shooting a real gun, with no mess to clean up. (well, not as MUCH mess)

I just got an airsoft replica AK-47 AEG and shooting full auto is really enjoyable.

I knock down all the pop cans in semi-auto and then switch to full auto to roll them around on the ground.

ApacheCoTodd
January 21, 2013, 05:08 PM
That's true about full auto airsoft. It's also much cheaper than shooting a real gun, with no mess to clean up.

Tell that to my neighbor - or more to the point, his pool cleaner.:cuss: Those full-auto "stop eatin' my grass seed you damn flying RATS!" frenzies were a taxing chore for that boy.

r1derbike
January 21, 2013, 05:14 PM
I started off with an 1897 (if memory serves) lever action daisy BB gun, almost 50 years ago, and I never got over the thrill of stuffing the box target with old newspapers, firing prone from about 20 feet, and then declaring myself a hunter. I shot a rat and a few birds, and some other inanimate objects with it, but don't remember what happened to it.

Still have an 880 Daisy pump I got 36 years ago. It doesn't hold air, not worth fixing, but keep it around as it was my first pump rifle. My Gamo CFX in .177 is my most accurate springer. Gave my .22 Gamo CFX to my dad, as his old Beeman had a dirt-dauber nest in the barrel. Got it out, but the rifling and that part of the barrel is ruined. Shoots everywhere, except where it is pointed.

Man, the memories!

d2wing
January 21, 2013, 05:41 PM
I like CO2 guns over springers as they are more like shooting a powder burner.
You have to an artillery hold on springers. For closer range and quiet shooting I use a Daisy pro target single pump repeater. Great for scaled down practice.

MCK0704
January 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
I was thinking of a gun powder mess with having to clean the gun and all.

All my biodegradable pellets disappear into the grass and I never see them again.

I guess I should have said not as much mess.

ApacheCoTodd
January 21, 2013, 06:35 PM
Biodegradable?

That got myth-busted around here when the cats would pick them up, pooh them out, get eaten by the bulldogs (Cat pooh being naturally occurring "scoobie-snacks" to them) get poohed again and re-consumed by my scat obsessed Bullies.

And STILL those pellets wouldn't break down. Doggone things must have a 20 year half-life!

If you enjoyed reading about "Airguns to get us through the shortages?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!