Tagging a thread

PDA

dbp
January 19, 2013, 09:00 PM
I see others saying they "tagged" a thread for future reference. How can I do this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tagging a thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
January 19, 2013, 10:24 PM
Add it as a bookmark in your browser.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 20, 2013, 12:00 AM
Those are people who don't actually know how to use the features of their browser or the forum. Instead of using the built-in functionality included in the forum or simply creating a bookmark, they post that in the thread.

If you want to follow a thread, the best way to do it within the forum is to choose "Subscribe to this Thread" under "Thread tools" in the upper right hand corner of the thread.

Then choose the type of notification you want. I prefer no notification. If you subscribe to too many threads with notifications, you're going to get a lot of email. You can also specific the folder you want. By default, you only have a subscriptions folder, but you can create more.

To get to your subscribed threads, you can choose it from the "Quick Links" at the top or on the under the "User Options" control panel.

More here: http://www.thehighroad.org/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_subscriptions

dbp
January 20, 2013, 09:10 PM
Those are people who don't actually know how to use the features of their browser or the forum. Instead of using the built-in functionality included in the forum or simply creating a bookmark, they post that in the thread.

If you want to follow a thread, the best way to do it within the forum is to choose "Subscribe to this Thread" under "Thread tools" in the upper right hand corner of the thread.

Then choose the type of notification you want. I prefer no notification. If you subscribe to too many threads with notifications, you're going to get a lot of email. You can also specific the folder you want. By default, you only have a subscriptions folder, but you can create more.

To get to your subscribed threads, you can choose it from the "Quick Links" at the top or on the under the "User Options" control panel.

More here: http://www.thehighroad.org/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_subscriptions
Perfect. Thank you sir!

blarby
January 22, 2013, 12:56 PM

Or, to acknowledge that typing six ( or three, actually "tag") characters is actually faster than scrolling to the top of the screen, clicking a submenu box, and clicking again. Or perhaps to acknowledge publicly to other readers/posters that you are following too, to input at a later date.

I think if more mods did the latter, we'd have a heck of a lot less thread "drift".

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 22, 2013, 01:16 PM
Or, to acknowledge that typing six ( or three, actually "tag") characters is actually faster than scrolling to the top of the screen, clicking a submenu box, and clicking again.
If you want to attribute it to laziness instead of ignorance, knock yourself out.

Or perhaps to acknowledge publicly to other readers/posters that you are following too, to input at a later date.

That seems kind of egotistical. "Oooh, I'd better let everyone that I'm watching this thread and they are now on notice that I'm poised to make a dazzling comment in the near future. Hang on to your hats, folks. I'm tagging this thread!"

I think if more mods did the latter, we'd have a heck of a lot less thread "drift".
Are you honestly suggesting that we post in each thread to say we are watching? :rolleyes:

blarby
January 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
Are you honestly suggesting that we post in each thread to say we are watching?

No, not every one.

There are a few from recent memory that come to mind, however.

Usually- but not always, folks tend to behave a little bit better when they know the eyes are on 'em.

If you want to attribute it to laziness instead of ignorance, knock yourself out.

In my case, it often is. Thats a lot of scrolling..... I know there are limitations that exist on what modifications can be made- but not everyone ignores the drop downs out of ignorance.

Maybe its just me.

That seems kind of egotistical.

I didn't say it wasn't- also doesn't mean its not true. You mean people extend their ego by means of an internet forum ? I'm shocked sir, simply shocked at that revelation. I've also noticed a tendency for folks to perform a little better in their "speech" if they know that someone they know and trust in the forum is reading, but as yet has nothing to contribute.

I've seen it enough that it warranted a nod in the explanation.

I know its easy to dismiss everyone who doesn't do it the way you do it as ignorant- doesn't necessarily mean it applies to everyone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tagging a thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!