Discovered an awesome CCW accessory today...

PDA

SSN Vet
January 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
SUSPENDERS!

Long drive to attend funeral.... Haven't worn this suit in a looooong time. Noticed a pair of brand new dress suspenders hanging in my closet that my wife gave me ages ago. I kept my piece locked in the car until after the reception, but wanted it back on my person as we had several stops planned in the city on the return trip. I'm usually feeling it after 6 hours on my hip with a lot of walking around, but the suspenders carried the weight very nicely.

How could I have never thought if this b4?

If you enjoyed reading about "Discovered an awesome CCW accessory today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kbbailey
January 20, 2013, 01:49 AM
I posted about zip-tying my nylon holster to my safety harness(suspenders)

weblance
January 20, 2013, 02:16 AM
Theres a current thread here at The High Road about just this very topic. Lots of good sugestions.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=691941

1911 guy
January 20, 2013, 03:44 AM
Try a pair of heavy duty suspenders such as the Perry suspender made by Dickey. They go a long way toward supporting the weight.

tyeo098
January 20, 2013, 04:01 AM
To a 21 year old, suspenders don't sound that all appealing.

Cesiumsponge
January 20, 2013, 04:09 AM
Wait...are you wearing dress suspenders AND a belt with a suit? Combining the two shouts "insecure" to traditionalists and puts you in the category of people that button the bottom button of their suit jacket or vest.

But considering how far we've deviated or slacked from the traditional rules of suiting, and the poorly-dressed youth today who look uncomfortable in ill-fitting suits, obnoxious ties and casual Fridays, I don't think anyone really notices except weird fussy people like me. I'm the guy who looks at how well a tie knot is executed, or how well hemmed someone's pants are when someone is dressed up.

For general wear, I've never worn suspenders since I'm too young to pull it off. For several of my suits, I have suspender-specific trousers and they're the greatest feeling things in the world because you have no constriction at the waist (which means I can eat all I want). I'm somewhat a staunch traditionalist if I have to wear a suit though. It usually comes with a beaver fur fedora and a collar bar. Everyone insists I look straight out of Boardwalk Empire.

Of course, comfort of CCW takes importance over looking sharp, in general.

1911 guy
January 20, 2013, 04:12 AM
If you're wearing a suit with a jacket, who's to know?

Cesiumsponge
January 20, 2013, 04:15 AM
If you're wearing a suit with a jacket, who's to know?
Most men tend to take off their jacket nowadays or leave their jacket unbuttoned. The exception would be a vest, which would hide the belt and suspenders combo. I actually usually wear a vest if I CCW with a suit. I can IWB under the vest.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
January 20, 2013, 04:20 AM
Cesium ! Perry suspenders are meant to be worn with a belt , they have special hooks that hook under the belt ! A great way to support your gunbelt ! Kevin

Cesiumsponge
January 20, 2013, 04:30 AM
Perry suspenders aren't part of traditional mail suiting though and it's a company-specific product. The traditions behind a suit is a belt, suspenders, or an adjustable waist that requires neither.

No one is saying you have to stick with tradition though. People seem happy to wear ties with a tuxedo jacket.

baz
January 20, 2013, 09:30 AM
I've been wearing Perry suspenders with a belt for years, even before I began to wear a CCW. The combo works, for me, a bit like a modest back brace as I have a back condition (ankylosing spondylitis). And at my age (I'm drawing SS, 'nuff said), the sartorial faux pas of combining belt and suspenders is generally overlooked. That said, if I'm dressing up, and the suspenders are outside a tucked in shirt, I usually keep the coat on. But that's only on Sundays for goin' to church these days, and at other times the belt and Perry s'penders are hidden by an untucked shirt, sweater, or jacket. FWIW, more than just a gun in a holster hangs off the belt. Where does the well-dressed man with suspenders and no belt wear his knife sheath? :D

Coltdriver
January 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
I started using heavy duty suspenders from the HoldUp company for my hunting treks.

Between a side arm, shooting stix, a knife and a rangefinder and then add a fanny pack my belt would either have to choke my guts out to keep my pants up or they would get pushed down in the first hundred yards.

The suspenders fixed that perfectly. And they do transfer some of that weight so its less tiring on your hips.

If you enjoyed reading about "Discovered an awesome CCW accessory today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!