Lightly Modified Ontario SP48 Knife

PDA

Dave Markowitz
January 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
Sometime in the past year or two I picked up an Ontario SP48 Gen 2 knife. It has an 8" blade that's 0.1875" thick, flat ground, andmade from 5160 steel. The blade has a textured black finish to help protect against rust. The handle is made from Kraton rubber and grooved for a sure grip. A dual guard is molded into the handle.

I've done a couple mods to my SP48. First, although I liked the look of the textured finish, I found that it causes drag when you're trying to chop through wood. When I first tried chopping with it, I found that bits of wood were actually getting embedded in the finish and sticking to the blade. So, I took some 000 or 0000 steel wool and carefully removed some of the finish, so that it's now smooth to the touch. Today I tried it out on a piece of dogwood and nothing stuck to the blade.

The other thing I didn't care for was the upper guard. This prevents you from putting your thumb on the back of the blade when doing fine work. Since I won't be fencing with the SP48 I removed the upper guard today using a rasp, file, and sandpaper.

As you can see in the picture, the knife comes with a nylon sheath. It has a hard plastic liner and is MOLLE-compatible. The pouch on the sheath is big enough for a multitool. In mine I have a Swedish Fire Steel and a 35mm film canister containing cotton balls with petroleum jelly on them, for starting fires.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=177992&d=1358646544

The Ontario SP48 would make a good knife for someone needing a chopper at a reasonable cost.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lightly Modified Ontario SP48 Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
January 19, 2013, 09:44 PM
Nice mods to the big monster!

JShirley
January 19, 2013, 09:46 PM
I handled one at SHOT. All the big Ontarios felt pretty good. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Lightly Modified Ontario SP48 Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!