Gun Owners - Hurting our own cause, giving the Anti's fuel

PDA

usmarine0352_2005
January 19, 2013, 11:02 PM

Although many citizen's showed up today at gun ranges, gun shows, capitals, and other places to show support for gun rights we also slit our own throats and might have trampled any ground we gained.

The Anti's will show gun owners as incompetent and dangerous, too dangerous to have guns. They already have portrayed gun owners as a fringe, minority with their use of "gun culture".

Notice the title of the article isn't "Many gun owners show up to support the 2nd Amendment" since today was the day gun owners were going to band together and show up their support of the 2nd Amendment, but rather gun owners shooting themselves and others. The press will have a field day with this and start airing every story of gun owners making mistakes.

We don't need anti's to make us look like fools, sadly we can do it ourselves.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/187611351.html

5 people hurt in accidental shootings at gun shows in Ohio, Ind., NC on day of US gun rallies

Article by: Associated Press

Updated: January 19, 2013 - 9:34 PM

MEDINA, Ohio - Accidental shootings at gun shows in North Carolina, Indiana and Ohio left five people injured Saturday, the same day that thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully at state capitals around the U.S. to rally against stricter firearm limits.

At the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, a 12-gauge shotgun discharged as its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check at a security entrance, injuring three people, state Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long said.

And in Ohio, a gun dealer in Medina was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he had bought Saturday when he accidentally pulled the trigger, injuring his friend, police said. The gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm, but one round remained in the chamber, police said.

The gun rallies held Saturday coincide with President Barack Obama's unveiling of a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals in the wake of a Connecticut elementary school shooting that killed 20 first-graders and six educators last month.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Owners - Hurting our own cause, giving the Anti's fuel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BulletArc47
January 19, 2013, 11:32 PM
The media is looking for everything an anything to give Obama's gun-restriction more credibility.

This makes me sick.

sonick808
January 20, 2013, 12:00 AM
yep. The media has been ordered by the powers that be to play an instrumental role in culling all of the anti-efforts and presenting them as a united front, even if they aren't. Janet Napolitono pretty much said outright that the media is going to bind the grassroots anti efforts together.

We need to fight fight fight and never relent, these are crucial times

stickhauler
January 20, 2013, 12:27 AM
I kinda doubt the media had to be pushed too much to report everything possible negative about firearms and firearm owners, and to ignore any and all positive stories. They're all flaming liberals anyway!

MistWolf
January 20, 2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah? All the rapes, robberies and assaults committed at "Occupy" rallies didn't hurt their cause any

Pointshoot
January 20, 2013, 08:29 AM
Go around the mainstream media. They will never give pro 2A a break, its not their program.

There's no emphasis in the media on the many instances where the mere fact that a law abiding citizen was armed PREVENTED a violent crime. There's no mention that violent crime rates have fallen over the last 20 years. There's no mention of the NRA's Eddie Eagle program that teaches young children about gun safety.

How to go around media ? Face to face positive experiences with people. Take people out shooting. Make sure they are made aware of safety procedures. Be the sensible face of the 2A.
People know things aren't right in the country. They feel a sense of unease. They wonder about the economy and the debt and where the nation is headed. There's a rational desire to be able to protect themselves. Call it having 'sensible insurance'. Talk to them about this in a sensible, calm manner.

The 2A will never get a break from the media. NRA and other pro 2A organizations - and all of us - need to know how to better communicate among ourselves and to others.

ZeSpectre
January 20, 2013, 08:49 AM
The Anti's will show gun owners as incompetent and dangerous, too dangerous to have guns. They already have portrayed gun owners as a fringe, minority with their use of "gun culture".

They would do that no matter what. The BEST thing we can do, as a group, is to be seen in public and with our legislators so that they meet the real "us" not the "us" that the managed media is working so hard to portray.

I often wonder if if the same conversations about "shooting ourselves in the foot" took place during the civil rights movement(s).

After all, Rosa Parks didn't "need" to sit in the front of that bus and make all that fuss.

KTXdm9
January 20, 2013, 08:57 AM
They would do that no matter what. The BEST thing we can do, as a group, is to be seen in public and with our legislators so that they meet the real "us" not the "us" that the managed media is working so hard to portray.

I often wonder if if the same conversations about "shooting ourselves in the foot" took place during the civil rights movement(s).

After all, Rosa Parks didn't "need" to sit in the front of that bus and make all that fuss.
Agreed. The media is never going to report on this in an unbiased manner. The worst thing we can do is sit on our hands and let the antis and their puppets in the media be the ONLY voice the fence-sitters are hearing.

Rocketmedic
January 20, 2013, 08:59 AM
By the same token, gun owners, we need to be seen to police ourselves. Tonight, on my radio, we had three shootings. In less than 12 hours, in one city, in Oklahoma. We need to get a handle on violence, and we need to reduce gun-owner incompetence, because that's what these articles are about.

SuperNaut
January 20, 2013, 09:12 AM
we had three shootings. In less than 12 hours, in one city, in Oklahoma. We need to get a handle on violence
Four words:

End The Drug War.

dab102999
January 20, 2013, 09:23 AM
Even though I don't know all the details on these firearm mishaps I do notice a lot people who don't use guns but have dads or grandpas gun in the closet are bringing them out and selling them. I have seen on three different ocassions ( and I am avoiding the maheem at gun stores now) of people coming in with guns to sell and they are loaded.

Bigkrackers
January 20, 2013, 09:30 AM
The media doesn't need to be ordered. For the last 50 years every level of the main stream media, including the journalism schools, have been occupied by liberal progressives who gladly push their agenda.

As for gun owners hurting the cause, you are probably correct. But, how many new gun owners are now out there? People who were on the fence about owning a gun or never gave it much thought, who went out and bought a gun in a panic because of the fear that they might not be able to in the near future. These people where probably not raised around guns and have probably never taken any kind of firearms safety course.

There was a front page picture in the Star Trib. yesterday that showed a new gun owner holding his new XD - I think it was - with his finger wrapped around the trigger. He bought it because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to get one down the road because of bans.

kayakersteve
January 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
We're there any car accidents yesterday?

Tcruse
January 20, 2013, 09:40 AM
I agree with these comments. One thing that I think the NRA is missing is to push gun training. In Texas the 10 hour class and range qualification is fine, however, for a person to actually carry more training and practice is necessary. If the government is interested in reducing gun violence, they they should be supporting gun safety and tactical classes at reduced cost. The NRA was absolutely correct, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I want the good guy to be better than the bad guy in usage of that gun, I also want the good guy to not be hampered by arbitary restrictions (like 10 round mag).

Guvnor
January 20, 2013, 09:53 AM
I remember the last time i went to Cabelas to sell a gun, they check every gun at the door to ensure it isn't loaded. I asked him "has anyone actually ever brought in a loaded gun?" He looked at me and said, "you'd be surprised."

I agree these idiots are making us all look like a bunch of reckless buffoons. I think these incidents have tarnished an otherwise fantastic day. I'm sure Bloomberg and company will gloat over it endlessly.

No excuses for unsafe gun handling. If you have no experience with firearms and find grandpas old shotgun in the closet, then call someone who does have experience to examine it for you. We have way too much to lose to let these people ruin our progress. Sometimes i wonder if the anti's have a point about mandatory safety training.

Steel Horse Rider
January 20, 2013, 09:58 AM
How many people were killed in Chicago, New York City, and Washington DC on the same day. You are fighting a losingcause if you think the media can be convinced to report truthfully. The ends justifies the means with unprincipled people.

sdhunter
January 20, 2013, 10:00 AM
This is very sad, and it probably has alot to do with new gun owners with no training, i am just a hunter with no real connection to "assault" rifles or hand guns, but i think the principles are similar. When you pull the trigger it goes bang. Common sense is just not that common anymore.

OilyPablo
January 20, 2013, 10:00 AM
I wonder what the statistical mean, adjusted for attendance is for ND's at gunshows on a weekend in the USA. Is this a statistical trend?

THIS type of thinking is how we fight the libs in the press.

TNBilly
January 20, 2013, 10:05 AM
Tcruse.... no one does it more than the NRA - work within the organization including having services to offer would be in order?

OP.... you're already defeated if you judge your success or failure from the enemy, and yes almost entirely the media is the enemy. We're not going to succeed in preserving our right if we do it worrying about their sensibilities.

longknife12
January 20, 2013, 10:11 AM
Years ago, Ethics in Journalism was replaced with If it Bleeds, it Reads!
Dan

we are not amused
January 20, 2013, 10:46 AM
According to many on this site, anytime a gun owner does not immediately agree with any anti-gun proposals, we are "hurting our cause".

As pointed out, Liberal Progressives have been dominating the News Media and Journalism Schools for over 50 years.

The News Media is not neutral, fair, or balanced. It is biased and agenda driven and will not give gun owners a fair hearing.

This does not mean we should give up, but it does mean that compromise and trying to get the news media to like us is a pipe dream.

It does not help when gun owners whine about how other gun owners make them look bad.

larryh1108
January 20, 2013, 11:27 AM
It does not help when gun owners whine about how other gun owners make them look bad.

If they do make us look bad we do need to step up and find a way to stop the nonsense. If we don't address the idiots that contribute to the media frenzy then we are guilty of accepting the bad without trying to find a way to eliminate the problem. We become the problem. We need to help prevent the stupidy that is out there whether it is by training, education, tutoring or whatever. If we pretend there aren't idiots out there then the media will make us all look like fools. We have enough to overcome without "our own" piling on with stupid and careless acts. Teach safety from the day kids are old enough to understand what safety means. I do believe that we are more safety conscious than the Average American but we come across as careless yahoos who are insensitive and selfish. How we are portrayed is no where near what we truly are.

phil dirt
January 20, 2013, 02:44 PM
"I agree with these comments. One thing that I think the NRA is missing is to push gun training."

Years ago, before the 68 gun laws, that's what the NRA did. My high school had a rifle team, and NRA instructors came to our school to teach gun safety. Also, our shooting coach/math teacher was an NRA hunter/safety instructor. Since that time, however, the NRA has been forced to take on Second Amendment rights issues.

CTPhil
January 20, 2013, 03:45 PM
We're there any car accidents yesterday?
Exactly.

Pointshoot
January 20, 2013, 04:13 PM
About 100 people per day DIE in the USA in auto accidents.

Time to ban cars ?

P.S. - you would have to go back over statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to get the average figures. They have varied from year to year.

meanmrmustard
January 20, 2013, 04:18 PM
Go around the mainstream media. They will never give pro 2A a break, its not their program.

There's no emphasis in the media on the many instances where the mere fact that a law abiding citizen was armed PREVENTED a violent crime. There's no mention that violent crime rates have fallen over the last 20 years. There's no mention of the NRA's Eddie Eagle program that teaches young children about gun safety.

How to go around media ? Face to face positive experiences with people. Take people out shooting. Make sure they are made aware of safety procedures. Be the sensible face of the 2A.
People know things aren't right in the country. They feel a sense of unease. They wonder about the economy and the debt and where the nation is headed. There's a rational desire to be able to protect themselves. Call it having 'sensible insurance'. Talk to them about this in a sensible, calm manner.

The 2A will never get a break from the media. NRA and other pro 2A organizations - and all of us - need to know how to better communicate among ourselves and to others.
Agreed. They don't need any more ammo, they'll "reload" their own by rehashing, taking things out of verbatim, or clearly out of context in general.

I, for one, appreciate the rallies and the people that go to them as lawful, gun owning citizens that wish to stand up for their rights.

No one who cares will ever see that. Only tragedy.

we are not amused
January 20, 2013, 05:26 PM
I agree with these comments. One thing that I think the NRA is missing is to push gun training. In Texas the 10 hour class and range qualification is fine, however, for a person to actually carry more training and practice is necessary. If the government is interested in reducing gun violence, they they should be supporting gun safety and tactical classes at reduced cost. The NRA was absolutely correct, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I want the good guy to be better than the bad guy in usage of that gun, I also want the good guy to not be hampered by arbitary restrictions (like 10 round mag).

Perhaps you don't know that the NRA is the premier gun safety training organization in the world.

If you know that, but think the NRA is not doing enough to promote it, then promote it's role yourself. Call your local school boards and ask them to have a NRA safety instructor come out and discuss age appropriate gun safety with school children, and their teachers.

If you know somebody getting their first gun, recommend a gun safety class to them.

meanmrmustard
January 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
About 100 people per day DIE in the USA in auto accidents.

Time to ban cars ?

P.S. - you would have to go back over statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to get the average figures. They have varied from year to year.
I'd walk if I had to. We don't want crazies committing murder by car.

I'll keep my guns, thank you!

Carl N. Brown
January 20, 2013, 05:47 PM
I remember the last time i went to Cabelas to sell a gun, they check every gun at the door to ensure it isn't loaded. I asked him "has anyone actually ever brought in a loaded gun?" He looked at me and said, "you'd be surprised."

I watched as a guy sold a Winchester pump he had inherited but did not want at a gun shop. The shop owner racked the pump handle and out popped a round (about ten rounds in the magazine too).

Another incident at a gunshow: another inherited but unwanted gun, Beretta pistol, that the deceased owner had left loaded. The cop checking guns at the door and cable-tying them was startled. Not necessarily surprised, I think, but kept the guy from wandering the aisles with a loaded gun he knew nothing about.

we are not amused
January 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
If they do make us look bad we do need to step up and find a way to stop the nonsense. If we don't address the idiots that contribute to the media frenzy then we are guilty of accepting the bad without trying to find a way to eliminate the problem. We become the problem. We need to help prevent the stupidy that is out there whether it is by training, education, tutoring or whatever. If we pretend there aren't idiots out there then the media will make us all look like fools. We have enough to overcome without "our own" piling on with stupid and careless acts. Teach safety from the day kids are old enough to understand what safety means. I do believe that we are more safety conscious than the Average American but we come across as careless yahoos who are insensitive and selfish. How we are portrayed is no where near what we truly are.

You seem to realize that the problem is largely with a biased and agenda driven press, but you seem to agree with the OP that we should just hide and hunker down, and not be seen.

I don't think that there aren't any "idiots" out there, but hiding in the shadow while all the idiots get all the news media attention seems to be what you are advocating. If we do that, the news media is going to be able to paint us any way they like with out opposition. What we did Saturday is exactly what we need to be doing! Get out in their face, and challenge their lies! If we allow their lies to go unchallenged, they win! It is as simple as that!

We can't hunker down and hide, for fear that they will talk bad about us. And agreeing with them that we are irresponsible as a group, because a few individuals are, is counter productive to the nth degree!

If you have any rational idea on how to prevent all gun accidents and correct all the lies that the News Media tells, I'll put you up for Godhood!

But merely whining about the people who have accidents, no matter how rare they are, and the fact that a hostile, agenda driven news media, manipulates the news, and then agreeing with the news media's agenda, that we are all idiots is very counter productive.

Cosmoline
January 20, 2013, 06:08 PM
The media bias is as clear as it's ever been. The editors really want to keep pushing gun control. So every story is going to be twisted against us. I'm not sure what can be done to counter this. Obviously not being an idiot and having a ND at the gun show is a good start. But beyond that what are we going to do? They WANT us to stay quiet. They WANT us to be conciliatory and "reasonable."

larryh1108
January 20, 2013, 06:16 PM
You seem to realize that the problem is largely with a biased and agenda driven press, but you seem to agree with the OP that we should just hide and hunker down, and not be seen.

I don't think that there aren't any "idiots" out there, but hiding in the shadow while all the idiots get all the news media attention seems to be what you are advocating. If we do that, the news media is going to be able to paint us any way they like with out opposition. What we did Saturday is exactly what we need to be doing! Get out in their face, and challenge their lies! If we allow their lies to go unchallenged, they win! It is as simple as that!

We can't hunker down and hide, for fear that they will talk bad about us. And agreeing with them that we are irresponsible as a group, because a few individuals are, is counter productive to the nth degree!

If you have any rational idea on how to prevent all gun accidents and correct all the lies that the News Media tells, I'll put you up for Godhood!

But merely whining about the people who have accidents, no matter how rare they are, and the fact that a hostile, agenda driven news media, manipulates the news, and then agreeing with the news media's agenda, that we are all idiots is very counter productive.

My post was to say we should not hide the fools who make us look bad. Hiding and/or denying they exist makes us all look bad, as a group. We need to educate and train so this does not happen as much as it does. Hiding or denying it exists it is the worst thing we can do, IMO.

Shadow 7D
January 20, 2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=697342

Quote:
So, you're asking... what is gun control about?

It is about disdain for those who "cling" to their guns as a source of power.

It is about their hatred for the people they percieve to be the gun culture (white, low-income, rural, uneducated).

It is ideological warfare, designed to break the will of the political resistance.

It is about demoralizing one's political opponents by desecrating the symbol of the group's identity.

It is about getting all the guns, by any means necessary.

It is about social justice, and removing the last vestige of power from the group that they believe is most responsible for the sins of America's past.

It is about demonization, because they must first hate us in order to justify taking what they know is our rightful liberty.

It is about scapegoating, because they won't be supported unless the masses can be convinced that dead children are our fault.

It is about ridicule, because they believe in their own cultural and intellectual superiority.

It is about emotion, because logic, reason and empirical data do not support them.

It is about making America less like its "shameful" past.

It is about making America more like countries that they percieve to be civilized.

It is about resenting the idea of America, and wanting to change it into something else.

It is about "progress".

It is about preaching the ideals of democracy, but harboring deep mistrust of your fellow man.

It is about promoting power to the people, but only meaning certain people.

It is about society as a zero-sum game, where power can only be given to the oppressed if it is relinquished by the oppressor.

It is about making you live with the fear and insecurity that they live with daily.

It is about removing barriers of resistance to a future that they know you will be tempted to resist.

It is about making you more like them, because they know they are right.

It is about people who think they know more than you doing something that they believe is for your own good.

It is about an egalitarian ideal from the 19th Century that they believe would work "if only done properly".

It is about egalite and fraternite above life and liberte.

It is about rewriting our history to pretend that America was always the thing that they intend to turn it into.

It is about the sense of power and delight that they would gain from watching you be disarmed.

It is about the fact that you cannot be trusted to comply.

It is about the simple fact that they do not like you.

It is about submission.

And compromise with them is nothing more than submission.

OilyPablo
January 20, 2013, 06:19 PM
How about a LOT of people calling these editors out? Seems to actually work when I think back to a certain paper publishing a map with names and addresses..... most of the local written press is a reflection of the milktoast left they perceive their readers to be. They can and will back down if they hear otherwise. Especially in logical truthful presentations.

It's CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC who may not change....and I think need to work on that one.

Guy B. Meredith
January 20, 2013, 07:15 PM
We need to get the story turned around to recognize how many thousands were out with no harm.

We are dealing with outright bigotry. People are too busy screaming at the NRA for having "blood on it's hands" to bother learning the real story. They don't look to see the diverse makeup of the NRA and its board.

When the KKK was going around in white sheets lynching people they had the same attitude. That's what we're dealing with.

We are being treated as statistics, not individuals.

We need to aggressively break down stereotypes, perhaps through forced exposure to firearms activities, ads, whatever. When people start tossing around statistics we need to force them to realize that we as individuals don't fit those statistics but ARE being harmed, harassed and discriminated against because of those restrictions.

jbrown50
January 20, 2013, 07:49 PM
Since this latest all out AWB push began after the Newtown tragedy, I've begun replying to the anti's ranting with the following questions:

Is another gun law going to address the root causes of crime in our society such as lack of jobs, lack of education, lack of moral teaching, lack of emphasis on personal responsibility?

Is another gun law going to address the lack of support for families who are trying to deal with a mentally ill loved one?

How many times have you heard the news media insist that President Obama should do all he can to reinstate an assault weapons ban and close the gun show loophole? How many times have you heard them insist that he do something about the root causes of crime?

jdooner
January 20, 2013, 08:15 PM
Now is the time for shooting enthusiasts to be on their best and most civil behavior.

ZeSpectre
January 20, 2013, 10:21 PM
Now is the time for shooting enthusiasts to be on their best and most civil behavior.

With all due respect I disagree. We've been polite and well behaved, I suspect that now it is time to be a bit...impertinent.

larryh1108
January 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
We need to stand up and be counted. They need to know we won't go away just because they want us to.

wacki
January 20, 2013, 10:29 PM
I will lend these new outlets credibility when they report on stuff like this:

THE MASS SCHOOL SHOOTING THAT DIDNíT HAPPEN (http://www.saysuncle.com/2013/01/08/the-mass-school-shooting-that-didnt-happen/): ďIn Tennessee, nut job tries to get his mass shooting on only to be shot dead by an armed school resource officer. Oddly, this story isnít getting much press.Ē

Guy B. Meredith
January 20, 2013, 10:43 PM
I agree it is time to be more aggressive. For instance I support the NRA ad about Obama and others sending their children to protected schools while making everyone else's gun free zones.

There have been sreams about mentioning the President's children, but I think that allowing PC to set the ground rules gives Obama and cohorts control. We need to make it clear that PC is unacceptable and voice our opinions--read my signature line.

One thing we need to continually attack is stereotypes. Put it right in their face that they are treating us no differently than the KKK treated black citizens in the past in that their approach is pure bigotry.

I post links to videos of women in 3 gun with EBRs, SASS and anything else that shows us as a broader, civil group. I have been cautioned that anything that looks "evil" or too much testosterone may be used against us.

In fact I ran across this on Youtube and have been mussing about some way of associating denial of ownership of semi auto military type firearms to the original Civil Rights fight. "Still trying to deny black freedoms" or some such--preferably a more coherent some such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQIGdY5pfCA&playnext=1&list=PLF754283A692B43CA&feature=results_video

justice06rr
January 21, 2013, 02:29 AM
In other news, the media failed to report all the fun and safe gun activity at gun ranges and LGS's nationwide.

I'm pretty far from my state capital, so I joined the hundreds of fellow enthusiasts at the gun range. It was full to capacity, but no accidents happend! GASP!

Manco
January 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
With all due respect I disagree. We've been polite and well behaved, I suspect that now it is time to be a bit...impertinent.

We still have to be careful about how we present ourselves, though--too aggressive a stance will frighten the public and make them run to their daddy, Obama. :barf:

Gaffer
January 21, 2013, 09:12 AM
Well I did my part and it turned out very successful. I was the chief Ro at a Junior Rifle sectional match held in Maine. We had apx. 30 youths compete, over two whole days, and there were no accidents or incidents.
These incidents at gun shows are not the norm and most likely are wanna be gun owners who are to stupid to check there guns before entering. Most gun shows have a check in table where guns brought to the show are examined and made to be safe before allowed entry.
Just my two cents!

Guy B. Meredith
January 21, 2013, 12:54 PM
For Gun Appreciation Day I went down to the range and spent a couple of hours in the Salem, Oregon area (actually Shedd) cold sorting out revolvers for competition and trying quick reloads for the M1 Garand (successfully) for action shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREo8FLjZug

I didn't check the main range, but was surprised to find a private bay available. Based on what reports got out despite lack of news coverage, I guess quite a few club members may have been at the capitol building.

I'm looking forward to see what develops for February 8.

xfyrfiter
January 21, 2013, 02:13 PM
If we the people, would insist that the media report only the news, and zero spin, a lot of this bs would cease, but it wouldn't sell papers, so if it bleeds it leads.

TwoEyedJack
January 21, 2013, 03:26 PM
I find myself getting more and more militant over time. I read a book a few years ago by G. Gordon Liddy, "When I was a kid, this was a free country". The freedoms we have give up have gotten us exactly nowhere. These brain dead statists insist on linking gun control to crime control when any rational analysis proves the opposite is true. They will never stop asking us to give up more freedom.

The time for compromise has far passed. Like the song says, you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. I learned a few new words in the last month. Molon Labe. And that is all I have to say about that.

joeschmoe
January 21, 2013, 03:58 PM
It's the Chickenlittle crowd.
These are the same people who are so ignorant of how their government works they think Obama is going to "ban" these things through Executive Orders, or believe that Congress can or will take away their rights. Neither is true.

They are acting like Chickenlittle.

6.5x55swedish
January 21, 2013, 04:06 PM
I think we do often hurt our own cause... look at all we do to get around the laws we have... Anybody see a slidefire stock? You want an assault on all semi-auto guns let some idiot walk into a school with a slidefire on a bushmaster....

Tannerite is fun, but how many people remember the idiot who loaded a bunch of it up in a truck and blew the truck up with it? Shut down a local nuclear power plant because it's earthquake sensors felt the blast... Afterwards there was a huge push to get tannerite regulated.

76shuvlinoff
January 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
I had the gunshow incidents tossed in my face today, right or wrong I asked how many guns in the US didn't shoot anybody that same day.

meanmrmustard
January 21, 2013, 08:12 PM
I had the gunshow incidents tossed in my face today, right or wrong I asked how many guns in the US didn't shoot anybody that same day.
Or how many blunt objects did...except for those stats would be boring.

chipcom
January 21, 2013, 09:10 PM
I was at the Medina show this weekend (not present for the whoopsie tho). Here's my spin on the incident:

1. a license can't cure stupid

2. neither can police stationed at the entrance checking firearms

Speaking of Medina, Oh...this is the city where the police chief arrests some dumb kid from another town (when tipped he's in town) because he made a stupid comment, on Facebook, about being happy that those kids got killed in Conn. (Since when is stupid illegal) and the ex-police chief mayor who backed him up on the arrest.

Stupid runs deep in that town.

6.5x55swedish
January 22, 2013, 07:05 AM
I haven't ever been to a gun show that didn't check your guns at the door and put zip ties on them.... I didn't even realize there were shows that didn't...

I think we can kiss the shows good by though with all the negative publicity they are receiving, A bunch of shows have been cancelled because the venues have backed out.

Quite honestly if we get off with only the end of gun shows my feelings would not be hurt. I haven't seen a deal at a gun show in about 20 years anyway... after paying for admin and the markup for the vendors table fees it is usually cheaper to buy at a shop.

OilyPablo
January 22, 2013, 07:19 AM
I haven't ever been to a gun show that didn't check your guns at the door and put zip ties on them....

Same here, yet two ND's in less than two years because people think they are better than the rules and are idiots who don't follow the most basic booger hook gun safety rules. This topic angers me!:fire:

Tcruse
January 23, 2013, 08:54 AM
"I think we can kiss the shows good by though with all the negative publicity they are receiving, A bunch of shows have been cancelled because the venues have backed out."

In this area there is a gun show with in 30 miles almost every weekend. Everyone of them has many thousands of paying admission. Last weekend the line to get in to one of the smaller shows was 1/4 mile long with wait time over an hour. I see cities trying to lure more shows to their facilities. The biggest complaint I here is that there are not enough table space for all of the vendors that want to rent tables.
Another observation is that there are more couples at these than a year ago. The people that are showing up are just ordinary people, not "gun nuts". Many looking for a good price, trying to see what is available, or just general education. I also have to admit that I have spent more money on non-gun related purchases at gun shows than gun or ammo related purchases.

chipcom
January 23, 2013, 10:38 AM
I think we can kiss the shows good by though with all the negative publicity they are receiving, A bunch of shows have been cancelled because the venues have backed out.

If I had a nickle for every time I've heard this over the years, I'd probably be able to buy a currently way over-priced and over-hyped "assault weapon". :D

larryh1108
January 23, 2013, 04:47 PM
I can see cities and towns in the blue areas not giving permits for gun shows anymore so they appear to be PC and act like they are doing something effective. After all, how else do you close the "gun show loophole"? Ban gun shows or make the permits an outrageous price and the "loophole" disappears with the gun shows. I personally like gun shows and have sold at many but the threads here all seem to say they aren't the same anyways. If that happens it will be too bad. They are also a part of Americana.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Owners - Hurting our own cause, giving the Anti's fuel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!