Where is the 9mm?

PDA

inkinskin
January 20, 2013, 01:07 AM
Does anybody know of anywhere online to get 9mm ammo without having to give up a kidney?

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

If you enjoyed reading about "Where is the 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JO JO
January 20, 2013, 01:16 AM
looks like 2008 again all shelves empty, i even see empty gun shelves,
no ammo/reloading supply's/
just wait it out ,

greenr18
January 20, 2013, 01:22 AM
well one of the local shops did have a shelf of it and it was 14.99, i said meh ill get some later... came back the next day shelf was empty :banghead:

Patrice
January 20, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hhmmm....Online, it's available if you're not picky about what you want to shoot. I think folks need to get what they can find. Something's better than nothing--at least if you're hunkering down. If you're planning on business, as usual....Well, that's a different story.

Try Ammunitiontogo,, Cheaperthandirt...both good companies.--Patrice

InkEd
January 20, 2013, 10:21 AM
The way things are currently, if you find some you have to buy decent amount because it is uncertain when you'll find more of it. This leaves little to none for the next person and the cycle continues.

For 9mm, it has been easier to find a larger LGS than big box stores in my area. The average price has been about $15 per 50rd box of FMJ ammo.

glennv
January 20, 2013, 10:28 AM
Walmart had 1800 rounds this morn. Bought it all.

a51young
January 20, 2013, 10:50 AM
I've had good luck with Sportsmans guide

Jimbo53
January 20, 2013, 11:04 AM
Was walking around Walmart yesterday and stopped to see for myself what the ammo counter had in stock. 100 round Winchester white box was about the only pistol caliber on the shelf. Had 10 boxes so I bought two for a friend who doesn't reload. The clerk mentioned that they get a little ammo everyday but never know what will be sent from the warehouse.

duns
January 20, 2013, 11:06 AM
I think it is still available -- try ammoseek.com.

Carne Frio
January 20, 2013, 11:43 AM
9mm
http://ammoseek.com/?gun=handgun&cal=82

USAF_Vet
January 20, 2013, 01:37 PM
The big box stores have empty shelves, but my LGS still has 9mm. The smaller one had several boxes of 9mm. All FMJ, no hollow points, though.

They also had about a half case of 7.62x39 sitting on the shelf.

No .22 or .223, though.

Arbo
January 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
I haven't noticed a shortage of 9mm locally... .223 is a different story, those that have it are limiting how much you can buy at a time. But I've been buying a bit here and there for a while, a little each paycheck, so I think I'm good for a while if push comes to shove.. but I plan on getting out to shoot a lot more, so I'll need to keep refreshing as I shoot.

sota
January 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
Why is the rum always gone?

and for the record I wouldn't know about LGS shortages... I haven't set foot in one since 2009. they were always WAY overpriced compared to internet sales.

jjjitters
January 20, 2013, 02:14 PM
This is why I cast my own. With over a 1/2ton of lead sitting in my garage and enough powder ,from buying 2-4lbs of this and that "to try" , throughout the years, to shoot all that lead. I don't even know about shortages , till I hear people saying there is one. As long as primers hold up,(a couple K presently), I'm good. I have always just tried to buy a little more components than what I need each time I can, so I get way ahead of the game before any shortages come along. It helps that I don't shoot a couple K rounds a month though. Then it would be harder to keep a good supply.

dampoo
January 20, 2013, 07:57 PM
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/9mm

Ammoengine implies that Double Tap has inventory but not cheap.

dbp
January 20, 2013, 08:36 PM
Hhmmm....Online, it's available if you're not picky about what you want to shoot. I think folks need to get what they can find. Something's better than nothing--at least if you're hunkering down. If you're planning on business, as usual....Well, that's a different story.

Try Ammunitiontogo,, Cheaperthandirt...both good companies.--Patrice
Have you actually gone online to Ammo To Go? If you had you would have seen that there is no 9mm available other than a frangible round.

True that CTD has some 9mm in stock, but these brands are ones I have never before heard of. And besides, CCI Blazer 115gr for $19.19 when I bought the same round 5 weeks ago for $9.99!! I consider that to be gouging and I refuse to pay it.

I will wait this out and just cut back on my shooting until prices come back down to a more reasonable level.

mdauben
January 20, 2013, 09:09 PM
Does anybody know of anywhere online to get 9mm ammo without having to give up a kidney?
My best advice is to search the big online ammo retailers on a daily basis. They do seem to be getting ammo in, but it usually only stays in stock for hours or even minutes. I scored some Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P JHP just the other day at Midway. IIRC, the price was a bit higher than pre-panic but certainly not kidney level.

btg3
January 20, 2013, 09:33 PM
Another vote to "wait it out".

Perhaps the moral of the story is to figure what you would typically shoot over 6-9 months and plan on keeping a minimum inventory at double that level. Sure makes the waiting easier. :cool:

S&Wfan
January 31, 2013, 01:55 AM
I'm not buying anything until the prices return to normal. Then again, I've got sufficient ammo for now.

I pity the complacent shopper who always was "planning" to purchase guns and ammo.

carlson1
January 31, 2013, 03:00 AM
Another vote to "wait it out".

Perhaps the moral of the story is to figure what you would typically shoot over 6-9 months and plan on keeping a minimum inventory at double that level. Sure makes the waiting easier.

Great advice. I just posted this on the General Handguns. I took some advice from a senior citizen (which I am now close to now) and bought ammo several years back. I not only bought ammo, but also bought the guns I thought I would want or need. I still catch myself watching the case when I am going in our of Wal Mart. Academy in DFW area have placed a sign up that says, "only one box per customer."

Deltaboy
January 31, 2013, 07:35 AM
Just wait it out. I am wonder why WW it trickling the ammo out.

txgunsuscg
January 31, 2013, 08:07 AM
I'm supposed to teach a class Saturday to a family who has finally decided to allow guns in their home and get the required course for concealed carry. Now I can't teach it because the hoarders have all the ammo gathering dust in their garages... Walmart's ammo stockpile looks like a ghost town...

ole farmerbuck
January 31, 2013, 08:25 AM
You can get all you want here. All you have to do is bid.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11657307/ammo-for-sale-hunting-shooting/pistol-revolver/1000-rnd-cci-blazer-brass-9mm-124-gr-fmj-free-ship

The_Armed_Therapist
January 31, 2013, 09:41 AM
9mm is most likely to be available at the biggest stores. Fin, Feather, and Fur in my area typically has a huge ammo selection, and even now, they have plenty of 9mm every time I go there.

PGT
January 31, 2013, 11:14 AM
I've bought 1750rds of 9mm in the last 30 days for a total cost of $550. Its out there but you have to jump on the opportunity when it presents itself. I bought from SGAmmo and from PSA (still waiting on the PSA batch to arrive)

PGT
January 31, 2013, 11:28 AM
Sportsmans Guide has a bunch of 9mm available for backorder...the first two pages of options show Feb delivery times.

PabloJ
January 31, 2013, 12:01 PM
Great advice. I just posted this on the General Handguns. I took some advice from a senior citizen (which I am now close to now) and bought ammo several years back. I not only bought ammo, but also bought the guns I thought I would want or need. I still catch myself watching the case when I am going in our of Wal Mart. Academy in DFW area have placed a sign up that says, "only one box per customer."
Due to their high turnover I get few fresh food items from Walmart on regular basis. Looked at their ammo cabinet out of curiosity and there was ONE box of .25Auto rounds. The problem with 'sit and wait' it might take very long time before things improve. I gave up understanding American minds many years ago. The longer I'm here the harder it is to understand people that were born here. I mean one can't replace meatballs in in Italian noodle dish with 9x19 cartridges.:barf:

GCBurner
January 31, 2013, 03:34 PM
I went plinking with my .22 pistol at the range this week, and picked up around 200 rounds of empty 9mm brass left behind by shooters that don't reload. They're being tumble polished now, to be sized, trimmed, and reprimed later, so I can reload them as I need them.

LightningMan
January 31, 2013, 10:51 PM
I've found 9mm ammo easier at my LGS than .22 LR ammo, now thats hard. LM

Deer_Freak
February 1, 2013, 11:12 AM
If all you can find is high priced ammo I would look at double tap. They haven't really increased their prices. They were high before the shortage. At least you will get quality +P ammo for your money.

gscrasher
February 1, 2013, 04:59 PM
For all who didn't stock up after the last shortage had run its course, the oil bidness people have a saying concerning their very cyclic business:

Please God, let there be another oil boom. I promise not to piss it all away this time.

Hangingrock
February 1, 2013, 07:25 PM
Having gone thru several periods of general panic seizures of the gunny population I simply adopted a policy of long term acquirement. On my excursions to Wal-Mart Id buy a value pack of 9mm Luger or 45ACP depending on what was in stock. Over a period of lets say more than several years I stock piled a reserve for situations like this that occur with frequency which is more or less the new normal. Even thou I reload its prudent to have a stock of commercial ammunition on hand to supplement reloading components.

xjsnake
February 1, 2013, 07:26 PM
I got 300 rounds yesterday for $90 online. It sold out quick but I was able to bump up my meager supply.

Jimbo53
February 1, 2013, 09:19 PM
I noticed Precision Delta are selling their remanufactured 9mm 115 FMJ for $253.00 delivered. Two week wait.

PabloJ
February 2, 2013, 10:10 AM
Pinch your noses and stop buying the damn ammo. You're driving up prices needlessly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where is the 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!