How do you insert attachments in PMs?

PDA

230RN
January 20, 2013, 07:57 AM
I wanted to include an image in a PM without uploading it to an image site and using IMG tags, but I don't see any option for that in either "Quick Reply" or in the advanced/preview PM editing screens.

Is there a trick to it I'm not seeing?

The "Insert Image" icon asks for an external http URL, but I just want to attach one from my own drives. I tried putting the image name and folder in my own C: drive in there and send it to myself, but all I received back was:

c:\uploads\PUTOFF.JPG

I'm sure I'll give myself a dope slap when someone tells me how and I'll exclaim "Dummy! Of course that's how! I should have seen that!"

Thanks in advance.

Terry

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you insert attachments in PMs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
January 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
As far as I know, you can't add an attachment to a PM, only posts.

The [IMG] tag just loads an image from some place that is accessible via the web. Your hard drive isn't (at least not referenced like that) available to other people.

If you want to send an attachment to another user privately, using something like email or a file sharing service like Dropbox or Google Drive is probably your best bet.

9mmepiphany
January 20, 2013, 05:31 PM
If it exist, I've never been able to find it either. I usually resort to e-mail

230RN
January 21, 2013, 04:15 AM
OK, thanks, Now I don't feel quite so stupid.

I thought maybe the image tags with the address to my own drive might somehow mysteriously pick up the image from my drives and insert it somehow into the PM.

It was one of those "This can't work, but I guess I ought to eliminate the possibility by trying it anyhow" experiments.

Soooo, this brings up the question, "What's the logic (or necessity) to not have attachments in PMs?" Is it because maybe the images then become public somehow (though not the PM itself)?

Every other board I'm on, it's possible and works just like inserting attachments in regular posts. (Yes, I can upload to my own image site and URL it, but I didn't want to in this case.)

???????

Terry

Odd Job
January 21, 2013, 04:45 AM
You can also use Yousendit. It is free for small files (under 50mb). I like it because you don't have to share your email address and the recipient has very little trouble getting the file (just click the link, download and save).

Canuck-IL
January 21, 2013, 05:35 AM
"What's the logic (or necessity) to not have attachments in PMs?

I'd guess that would generate a lot of storage overhead pretty rapidly.
/Bryan

Mal H
January 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
I think Canuck-IL hit one of the main reasons. When an attachment is uploaded to our server, it is intended to go into a post for everyone to see so the kilo/mega bytes taken up (usually forever) are at least shared by everyone. But, when an attachment is used solely in a PM, it would be seen by only the sender and the recipient(s) of the PM, and it would be taking up space that could be used for more public image viewing, again, often forever.

However, vBulletin still should have given the board administrators/owners the option to allow it, but they didn't - I checked. Using IMG tags to include images (either externally hosted or existing post attachments) in PMs is the only option they included.

230RN
January 21, 2013, 04:00 PM
OK, so it's just a Given... TTWTA (That's The Way Things Are), but it was just a unique situation, where I didn't want to stick it on my own image site.

Thanks, Odd Job, for the Yousendit hint. I'll explore that on general principles.

Sooooo, as I said, I don't feel as stupid as before that unique situation arose. Now I can concern myself with a few of my other stupidities. :)

Thanks, all.

Terry

Odd Job
January 21, 2013, 04:56 PM
Yousendit works great. Just use your own email address as the recipient email address. When the upload is complete all you do is give the other forum member the download link in the PM. No emails or email addresses need to be exchanged...

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you insert attachments in PMs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!