Why would someone do this to a CZ-75

PDA

jmace57
January 20, 2013, 10:50 AM
Another strange thing in my perusal of auctions. A CZ-75 in otherwise OK shape with holes drilled through the frame - both sides. I am trying to figure out why someone would do this? To mount a laser on it? Is it just some strange "bubba-ing"? They knocked hundreds of dollars value off it. Any opinions what they were trying to accomplish?

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i390/jmace57/bubba.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Why would someone do this to a CZ-75" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
January 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
Probably used to mount a red dot sight or a similar optic.

Queen_of_Thunder
January 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
That was someones competiton pistol. Those holes were the attachment point for a rail to hold a red dot optic.

OilyPablo
January 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
Boy that's a special bubba. Rail type install would be my guess. Or just trying to make it lighter.

Walt622
January 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
Perhaps they could not find the right spot for the auto sear.....

JDGray
January 20, 2013, 12:07 PM
Heck, I'll give them $89 for it!:D

bannockburn
January 20, 2013, 12:14 PM
Oh my! What a horrible thing to do to a CZ 75. Well at least no one tried to fix it by cramming some JB Weld in the holes.

2wheels
January 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
It ain't perty, but for the right price I could get over it.

ApacheCoTodd
January 20, 2013, 01:03 PM
Removed the bubba-bolt-on bayonet lug for NY.:evil:

At least it was one of those horribly marked ones so that the next owner has even more reason to (weld up and) refinish it.

Hope the next owner gets it cheap enough.

Chuck Perry
January 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
For an old school red dot with integral mount, like one of these:

http://www.armorytechairsoft.com/3789-thickbox/at-cmore-red-dot-sight-for-hi-capa-black.jpg

I had a Coonan set up with one of these way back when :D

Oldnoob
January 20, 2013, 02:10 PM
They are speed holes. It will make the bullet shoot out faster.

Oldnoob
January 20, 2013, 02:11 PM
XVV_COOey0E

Centurian22
January 20, 2013, 02:14 PM
I would happily purchase this at that price or just a little lower. ;-)

Walt Sherrill
January 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
That's probably an ITEM NUMBER, not a price. (They typically don't put price on AUCTION items.)

I'd gladly pay that sort of price, too.

Arp32
January 20, 2013, 02:34 PM
Red dot sight mount? Ha! Clearly those are low pressure slide return ports. ;)

OptimusPrime
January 20, 2013, 02:45 PM
Attachment points for attaching the spade grip trigger and tripod mount.

jmace57
January 20, 2013, 02:47 PM
Too late boys - already bid up to $120!

9mmepiphany
January 20, 2013, 03:09 PM
Those are the holes for a bridge mount to hold a red dot over the slide. An older version of this:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/MattGus72/CZ75Svart.jpg

The CZ 75's clones used to ruled Open Class IPSC/USPSA back when they were loading 9mm Major and before the advent of the polymer 1911 frames from SVI/STI

SharpsDressedMan
January 20, 2013, 06:15 PM
Weigand used to make a 4 holed mount for various guns, possibly Witness or CZ.

schmeky
January 20, 2013, 07:03 PM
Could be welded up and fixed, but buying price would have to way down there.

9mmepiphany
January 20, 2013, 07:11 PM
Weigand used to make a 4 holed mount for various guns, possibly Witness or CZ.
Like this one?

http://www.jackweigand.com/images/SM3.jpg

SharpsDressedMan
January 20, 2013, 07:39 PM
Like that one, but that has five on both sides........

jdh
January 20, 2013, 10:58 PM
At least it was a B and not an original.

Ex
January 20, 2013, 11:43 PM
Oh my! What a horrible thing to do to a CZ 75. Well at least no one tried to fix it by cramming some JB Weld in the holes.
Say what? JB Weld holds at least as good a Duct Tape!

;)

Ex
January 20, 2013, 11:44 PM
Say what? JB Weld holds at least as good a Duct Tape!

;)

Walt Sherrill
January 21, 2013, 12:13 AM
There's a lot of "mystique" associated with the pre-B CZ-75s, but the "better triggers" found in those guns are arguably due to the facts that the vast majority of them 1) are used and well broken in, and 2) don't have the horrible "camming" double-action trigger that the CZ legal department apparently dictated for more recent B models. (I say that, because I can't imagine why anyone but a Legal Department wonk would do THAT to a gun on purpose.)

With only a modest amount of gunsmith work, the "B" trigger can be as good as the pre-B trigger. And, if you convert a DA/SA B model to SAO mode, and install the two-way adjustable flat trigger, the SA trigger can be better than the best pre-Bs, whether you leave the firing pin block in, or take it out!

I've had a bunch of CZs over the years, both "B" and pre-"B" models, and I just won't buy a pre-B any more unless I can get it at a very low price (for later resale). I would like to have another CZ-40B, however (or maybe a Colt Z40), to fill the void left by the CZ-40B I let get away a few years after they were introduced. (I didn't like the .40 round, back then, but I've since learned to like it a bit better.)

jdh
January 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
I happen to prefer the smooth rounded top of the pre B slide to the ribbed B slide. Also the spur hammer instead of the B's holey one.

ku4hx
January 21, 2013, 04:11 PM
It's a new method of gun identification: sonic. Each series of holes will have a unique pattern and each "voice" will be too at a predetermined frequency as air blows over them. The system is being marketed by the anti gunners as stealth ID.

That or they're mounting holes for a Ghost sight frame.

Pilot
January 21, 2013, 04:46 PM
I also prefer the rounded trigger guard, and the spur hammer of the Pre-B CZ-75's. However, I like the newer pistols better, however, the "Retro" model that came out a while back was a slam dunk and I should have bought one although I already had/have a 75B.

meanmrmustard
January 21, 2013, 08:13 PM
I also prefer the rounded trigger guard, and the spur hammer of the Pre-B CZ-75's. However, I like the newer pistols better, however, the "Retro" model that came out a while back was a slam dunk and I should have bought one although I already had/have a 75B.
I have the Cold War model, has the squared trigger guard I like, but has the spur hammer too.

Great gun.

Walt Sherrill
January 21, 2013, 09:17 PM
I, too, loved the RETRO model -- the style of the 75 with the improvements of the 75B.

I cared a bit less for the "Red Star" Cold War model, particularly when you consider that none of the Communist Bloc militaries used the 75 (except, perhaps a Spetsnaz unit or two) -- the 9mm round wasn't used in the Communist Bloc!

Jim NE
January 22, 2013, 12:40 AM
Why would someone do this to a CZ-75

Moths maybe? I've lost some great wool sweaters that way :(

Kiln
January 22, 2013, 01:28 AM
Mynocks.

Fire_Moose
January 22, 2013, 02:39 AM
At least it was a B and not an original.

My thoughts exactly....and a poly coated one at that.

useless signiture

chris in va
January 22, 2013, 05:20 AM
Got shot with those mythical 5.7 armor piercing rounds.:p

meanmrmustard
January 22, 2013, 06:51 AM
I, too, loved the RETRO model -- the style of the 75 with the improvements of the 75B.

I cared a bit less for the "Red Star" Cold War model, particularly when you consider that none of the Communist Bloc militaries used the 75 (except, perhaps a Spetsnaz unit or two) -- the 9mm round wasn't used in the Communist Bloc!
We've been down this road before.

The gun celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Unions fall, something the Czechs celebrate.

The "Red Star" is just another B model.

Blackstone
January 22, 2013, 08:27 AM
So heartbreaking to see

Walt Sherrill
January 22, 2013, 08:51 AM
The gun celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Unions fall, something the Czechs celebrate.

Right.

The red star was first used as a symbol for the Communists during the Russian Revolution and it later became the symbol of the Soviet Army. Stalin wore the red star as a piece of costume jewelry on his tynic, and it was later incorporated into other Soviet military decorations. The red star supposedly represented the four fingers and thumb of the "workers" hand, and the Soviets pushed it's use onto others in the Sino-Soviet Bloc, and it was eventually adapted as the symbol of international communism. The Chinese Communists still use it.

Giving the red star symbol a position of prominence on a handgun is hardly a way to celebrate the demise of it's significance as a symbol. It may have meant something to the Czechs, but I'd argue that it was a dumb marketing move by CZ that was misinterpreted by potential buyers elsewhere in the world.

I didn't see many people jumping on those models until the prices were discounted -- and they were. Buying one at the discounted price and painting over the red star would be a very rational act. (A few folks bought them because they thought their relative rarity would increase their value over time. Good luck to them.)

I'd pay a slight premium for a retro model.

Fire_Moose
January 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'd love to get one of those red.star/sickle 75s.

useless signiture

Walt Sherrill
January 22, 2013, 12:43 PM
Except for the spur hammer (which "bites" some hands), and the Red Star (there is no sickle or hammer) and Cyrillic lettering, it's a standard "B" model.

Jim NE
January 22, 2013, 12:58 PM
You know, there is another side to the types of guns like the one that the OP has shown us. They're often an opportunity for someone who can't afford a new CZ (or a good condition used example) to buy one at a very low price. As long as the "bad idea" mod doesn't affect function, why not pay a couple hundred bucks for it?

Walt Sherrill
January 22, 2013, 01:05 PM
I suspect, too, that if the prior owner went to the trouble of mounting an IPSC-type sight, he probably did some work internally -- and the gun most likely has a very nice trigger. I wouldn't let the "holes" dissuade me, if I were looking for a good shooting gun.

The original owner probably moved up in the gun world...

ClickClickD'oh
January 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
Those are sand cuts.

tuj
January 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
eh, I did the same thing to a Les Baer.

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/lesbaer/grips/545371_10151943494740374_1819691228_n.jpg

Fire_Moose
January 22, 2013, 05:36 PM
Except for the spur hammer (which "bites" some hands), and the Red Star (there is no sickle or hammer) and Cyrillic lettering, it's a standard "B" model.

What's that above the grip?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/23/6aru7e5e.jpg

useless signiture

Buck13
January 22, 2013, 06:15 PM
That can't be a price tag??!?? For 89 bucks, I would buy that in a second if the barrel didn't have gopher holes in it.

Walt Sherrill
January 22, 2013, 06:54 PM
What's that above the grip?

My oversight. <Grin> I've only seen them in pictures, and only the left side. My error!

I'd have to paint over THAT, too. (Matte black Dupli-Color auto touch up paint is an almost-perfect match.)

Walt Sherrill
January 22, 2013, 06:56 PM
eh, I did the same thing to a Les Baer.

Wow! What grips! It is a fire hazard?

jmace57
January 22, 2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah - I was wondering if the was Tuj's carry gun!

Wilbert
January 22, 2013, 10:20 PM
A new breed of steel-eating moths. I lost a great steel-wool sweater that way :(

tuj
January 22, 2013, 10:22 PM
Wow! What grips! It is a fire hazard?

Dick Horton's finest.

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/lesbaer/grips/426898_10151943490105374_621422011_n.jpg

Seriously though, to stay OT, optics are really great for competition guns.

Blackstone
January 23, 2013, 05:40 AM
I'd love to have hammer sickle red star model, definitely of historical relevance

meanmrmustard
January 23, 2013, 07:58 AM
They went up recently, pre ban scare. Try finding one now (assuming you liked it, which im sure you dont) and youd be out of luck. Yes, there is scicle and hammer.

Misinterpretation and lack of open thought breed stupidity. Also, I'm aware of the Red Star back story, but thanks anyway. That's why the goofy star and writing make sense to some, and not a lick to others. I get what Czechs did, and they sold the 999. They ain't discounted no mo.

Walt Sherrill
January 23, 2013, 11:57 AM
AMAZING grips on that 1911!! Sculpture of a sort.

Guess you don't use that pistol for concealed carry...

tuj
January 23, 2013, 12:04 PM
AMAZING grips on that 1911!! Sculpture of a sort. Guess you don't use that pistol for concealed carry...

Yeah Dick Horton does some amazing work. I have his grips on my IZH-35M as well and they are outstanding, both functionally and aesthetically. I like his work better than the Rink grips I have for a few other pistols. I sent Dick a couple photocopies of my hand (along with a ruler on the copier in case there were any distortions) and he's made the grips according and they fit my hand like a glove. The upswept palm shelf is actually adjustable too.

I can't seem to shoot a 1911 off-hand with standard grips. I've tried about all the conventional 1911 grips, and I've tried the 'Zins'-style grip and none of it works for me. With the Dick Horton grips, my hand is just locked onto the gun and it frees me up to concentrate on my sight picture and trigger control.

Anyway, back to on-topic: I had a different mount on my Les Baer before and I had a smith weld-up the old holes and reblue the gun. You can barely see where the holes were. So I would imagine the same thing could be done on that CZ.

CZguy
January 23, 2013, 05:19 PM
Anyway, back to on-topic: I had a different mount on my Les Baer before and I had a smith weld-up the old holes and reblue the gun. You can barely see where the holes were. So I would imagine the same thing could be done on that CZ.

I'm sure that a good smith could make it like new. I just question whether it's cost effective or not.

I'm with Walt, I bet it's a good shooter.

Walt Sherrill
January 23, 2013, 06:15 PM
The problem with polycoated CZs is that the frame can't be welded without messing up the finish -- and getting the polycoat off to refinish it is tough. To make matters worse, there's a maganese phosphate (Parkerization) coating under the polycoat, and the surface itself isn't highly polished on the polycoated guns.

If you can't live with the holes, you may end up having the holes filled and the gun hard-chromed or refinished in something fancy. There's a lot of work involved...

(Filling the holes somehow -- tapped and then something screwed into the holes, then shaped/smoothed with a Dremel to match the contours -- and painting the result with matte black auto touch-up paint will make a hard-to-see repair, if the "filling" part is done well.)

I'd probably just grin and shoot what is probably a pretty good-shooting gun.

meanmrmustard
January 23, 2013, 09:50 PM
The problem with polycoated CZs is that the frame can't be welded without messing up the finish -- and getting the polycoat off to refinish it is tough. To make matters worse, there's a maganese phosphate (Parkerization) coating under the polycoat, and the surface itself isn't highly polished on the polycoated guns.

If you can't live with the holes, you may end up having the holes filled and the gun hard-chromed or refinished in something fancy. There's a lot of work involved...

(Filling the holes somehow -- tapped and then something screwed into the holes, then shaped/smoothed with a Dremel to match the contours -- and painting the result with matte black auto touch-up paint will make a hard-to-see repair, if the "filling" part is done well.)

I'd probably just grin and shoot what is probably a pretty good-shooting gun.
Sounds like the perfect excuse to get a park job or cerakote done!

Walt Sherrill
January 24, 2013, 10:58 AM
Ceracoat would be a good, attractive, functional finish that isn't too costly...

Having that gun might be incentive for me to buy a sight/mount to fit the openings on the frame. <grin>

PGT
January 25, 2013, 01:17 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2qdqqz9.jpg

Walt Sherrill
January 25, 2013, 09:07 AM
Oooh! Oooh!

I'd love to have a gun like THAT!!

But, given my shooting budget, habits, and practices, it would be a bit like buying a Ferrari and driving it only in the parking lot...

If you enjoyed reading about "Why would someone do this to a CZ-75" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!